• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

Soi-Fong

Is online completely tactical defending or is there legacy defending. Sometimes, I feel like I'm facing oponents who aren't even containing, just pressing x the whole time to charge at me.

Lunchbox

Banned
Soi-Fong said:
Is online completely tactical defending or is there legacy defending. Sometimes, I feel like I'm facing oponents who aren't even containing, just pressing x the whole time to charge at me.
they are letting the AI defend

Cardigan

Soi-Fong said:
Ranked I believe is tactical defending. If you do custom or something like that you can enable legacy defending.

Soi-Fong

Cardigan said:
Ranked I believe is tactical defending. If you do custom or something like that you can enable legacy defending.

No effing shit. That's why I've been getting my ass handed to me. I have homing missiles coming from all directions even with the crazy passing I'm doong.

I look like a dumbass trying to contain.

Lunchbox said:

Oh god no. Don't tell me that's what I've been facing.

Soi-Fong

That's why I was wondering why does it seem like it they weren't containing or just rushing in completely head on. No wonder.... This is sad.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
JWong said:
Man, are people really that bad that they can't beat AI?

So is the official EA response to this issue "fuck you, buy more Ultimate Team packs?"

JWong

Banned
leng jai said:
I find the computer on World Class/Legendary way harder to defend against than most human players.
Sure can be. But then the same people complaining about this issue are the same people complaining about how easy the AI is on Legendary. I've seen complaints saying "I'm a pro and noobs are beating me with the GK switch."

The real solution is just to dial back the AI difficulty and put the H2H AI to Professional.
QVT said:
So is the official EA response to this issue "fuck you, buy more Ultimate Team packs?"
Why don't you ask yourself, Mister FIFA Pro Clubs designer?

I don't represent FIFA 12.

I love the glitch when getting out of a ranked match and I have Kaka as my arena player in a Philadelphia Union jersey. Oh EA, how do you guys keep these glitches in the game?

Oh, also that glitch when you score a goal in the arena and you're not allowed to skip the replay. Very fun.

Soi-Fong

striKeVillain! said:
I love the glitch when getting out of a ranked match and I have Kaka as my arena player in a Philadelphia Union jersey. Oh EA, how do you guys keep these glitches in the game?

Oh, also that glitch when you score a goal in the arena and you're not allowed to skip the replay. Very fun.

Yeah shit I have the PS3 version and I would never have expected this. I bought FIFA 11 really late and I guess by then they fixed the glitches, but this is just sad.

adelante

QVT said:
For someone who's proud to have had a hand in helping improve a specific aspect of the game, you're always pretty bitter in this thread. lol no need for sarcasm.

I agree with Jwong's sentiment, beating the AI is not impossible and I think people are just not used or simply have no tolerance to the new defending controls. Pretty clear how people have become so reliant on homing-missile presses to do their tacklings and runs.

QVT

adelante said:
For someone who's proud to have had a hand in helping improve a specific aspect of the game, you're always pretty bitter in this thread. lol no need for sarcasm.

What can I do when "Quality Assurance" ignores bugs and blames us?

So, I just tried the "let the AI defend" online and honestly wasn't that big of an advantage. They still made mistakes and you can definitely still beat them

Didn't go all out with the formation and shit but didn't see much wrong with it.

adelante

QVT said:
What can I do when "Quality Assurance" ignores bugs and blames us?
Then I guess we won't see you being level-headed in a fifa thread....ever? C'mon what else is new with EA haha Least you could do is post some valid criticisms along with those remarks. I hated FIFA11 so fuckin much (I barely played anything other than pro clubs, 1005 games ftw), that I truly believed they couldn't do anything to save this franchise. But even I can't deny the vast improvements they've made this year with regards to the core gameplay alone. Removing automated tackling was one of my requested changes for a long ass while and I'm so glad they had the balls to do it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Saren is Bad said:
So, I just tried the "let the AI defend" online and honestly wasn't that big of an advantage. They still made mistakes and you can definitely still beat them

Didn't go all out with the formation and shit but didn't see much wrong with it.
I tried it as well after seeing that video. Promptly got two goals scored against me.
(Cost me the win too.)

Maybe you have to do it with the right team and team-management setup. But with default Bayern against Barca I was getting rocked.

So whoever thinks this is an instant win button needs to try it himself.

QVT

adelante said:
Then I guess we won't see you being level-headed in a fifa thread....ever? C'mon what else is new with EA haha Least you could do is post some valid criticisms along with those remarks. I hated FIFA11 so fuckin much (I barely played anything other than pro clubs, 1005 games ftw), that I truly believed they couldn't do anything to save this franchise. But even I can't deny the vast improvements they've made this year with regards to the core gameplay alone. Removing automated tackling was one of my requested changes for a long ass while and I'm so glad they had the balls to do it.

Removing automated tackling treated the symptom, not the cause. The root of that issue is still there and totally, glaringly apparent in FIFA 12. Calling a second defender and holding down contain for the whole match and now just timing your tackles may be harder, but you're still not punished in the least for having two guys on every attacker at all times. There's still no space in the game, tactical defending has done nothing except inadvertently cause a nerf to passing, because the old passing system would have easily overpowered it.

Hieberrr

Are you fucking serious?! The only way for me to play an actual season of, say, the Bundesliga is to purchase the Live Season? What the fuck EA :|

and my online code.. allows me to get onto the store? Are you fucking kidding me EA. I can't believe that I need a code to play some basic online modes... and to access a fucking store. What is this...

adelante

QVT said:
Removing automated tackling treated the symptom, not the cause. The root of that issue is still there and totally, glaringly apparent in FIFA 12. Calling a second defender and holding down contain for the whole match and now just timing your tackles may be harder, but you're still not punished in the least for having two guys on every attacker at all times. There's still no space in the game, tactical defending has done nothing except inadvertently cause a nerf to passing, because the old passing system would have easily overpowered it.
So what do you think the root of that issue is then? Because I was just focusing on a single gameplay mechanic, an archaic system of combining homing runs with automated tackles... which was an entire problem by itself that they've alleviated by removing one aspect of it.

I don't see calling in a teammate press and the lack of space as two related issues because I STILL see defenders leaving gaping holes when my opponents bring in another defender to attack, a tactic I'm than happy to exploit. Also, I don't agree that teammate pressing is a fundamental problem because in a football game the task of pressing (NOT positioning) needs to be on you or the game risks becoming too assisted. The feature's a necessity in situations where you have to leave a defender that's close to the ball handler deselected in order to mark another player. And there's always been several drawbacks in place to teammate pressing; defensive holes that I mentioned and the risk of getting fouled because your cpu teammates tend to tackle from behind (the nature of homing missile runs means they're always playing catch up)

Soi-Fong

adelante said:
So what do you think the root of that issue is then? Because I was just focusing on a single gameplay mechanic, an archaic system of combining homing runs with automated tackles... which was an entire problem by itself that they've alleviated by removing one aspect of it.

I don't see calling in a teammate press and the lack of space as two related issues because I STILL see defenders leaving gaping holes when my opponents bring in another defender to attack, a tactic I'm than happy to exploit. Also, I don't agree that teammate pressing is a fundamental problem because in a football game the task of pressing (NOT positioning) needs to be on you or the game risks becoming too assisted. The feature's a necessity in situations where you have to leave a defender that's close to the ball handler deselected in order to mark another player. And there's always been several drawbacks in place to teammate pressing; defensive holes that I mentioned and the risk of getting fouled because your cpu teammates tend to tackle from behind (the nature of homing missile runs means they're always playing catch up)

I think the whole problem with tactical defending is really switching players which can really mess you up. I can see how it will be good for clubs though.

leng jai

I forgot how many quitting gimps there are on launch day. Literally everytime I've had a 2 goal lead it causes an insta-quit.

Keio

For a Finer World
I really really like FIFA 12, especially now that the retail release is out. I'm finally doing well in H2H :)

- Tactical defending is great, you can really frustrate opponents with it :)
- Through balls are definitely not as deadly if you play conservative defending, so you won't get destroyed by the FIFA 11 tactic of lobbed through balls
- Goals get scored in a ton of ways! It's great: headers, screamers, nice passes in the box
- I love the impact stuff. It creates good comedy moments.

edit: only had one player quit on me. And that was when I was losing 1-0 but bossing the game around totally :)

edit2: the matchmaking works great! Haven't had a game against ManU/Barca/Real after the number of players increased after the retail launch.

JWong

Banned
Soi-Fong said:
I think the whole problem with tactical defending is really switching players which can really mess you up. I can see how it will be good for clubs though.
Not an issue if you turn off auto-switching. I like to keep it at Air Balls myself.
leng jai said:
I forgot how many quitting gimps there are on launch day. Literally everytime I've had a 2 goal lead it causes an insta-quit.
I believe if you drag it out pass the 5 minute mark in the game, it counts as a forfeit for the quitter.

Not as fun as playing it out, but you get some good out of it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
JWong said:
Not as fun as playing it out, but you get some good out of it.
How well does the Online Setting "DNF-Setting: Equal to me" work for you guys?
It should in principle filter out the quitters from the people that play the game to the end.

My DNF has at least one strike against it now, as I was having a legitimate connection error. I was even in the lead. Still 3-0 for the opponent.
EA must make a ping against both systems and see who went away. So you can't even disconnect your cable to get out of matches without taking a loss.

I'm hearing that some of the big name moves from the summer and even last January haven't had face updates which is pretty poor. Can anybody confirm?

How can I change the player with which I play in the training area? I had to create a Virtual Pro player or whatever it's called and now I have to play with him. I have no desire to play with him anytime soon, so he's shit and training is a joke with him.

Manik

Is there a round up of all the, expected, deals in the supermarkets (UK) for tomorrow? There's usually price wars between the big guns, but I've heard nothing so far this year.

This isn't particularly exclusive to FIFA 12, but has anyone noticed how some matches there is extra weight on your players? In some games, they feel very responsive and others I'm wondering why its slow.

*has nothing to do with weather conditions

Soi-Fong said:
Well, gameface is still screwed up for the game. In 11 it was fine, but here it becomes so much different from what the show in the computer.

Agreed. The head and neck are disproportionately thinner, and plus my guy turned white :/

besiktas1

Manik said:
Is there a round up of all the, expected, deals in the supermarkets (UK) for tomorrow? There's usually price wars between the big guns, but I've heard nothing so far this year.

Use the cheaparsegaffer thread :)

Keio

For a Finer World
Meus Renaissance said:
This isn't particularly exclusive to FIFA 12, but has anyone noticed how some matches there is extra weight on your players? In some games, they feel very responsive and others I'm wondering why its slow.
I have this paranoia about FIFA (and NHL) that they have the "player condition" in H2H matches at random, and doesn't show it to you. For example in my last game Sulejmani was on fire and stormed past defenders, whereas in the previous two games I subbed him out as he was not getting anything done.

Fry

Hieberrr said:
Are you fucking serious?! The only way for me to play an actual season of, say, the Bundesliga is to purchase the Live Season? What the fuck EA :|

and my online code.. allows me to get onto the store? Are you fucking kidding me EA. I can't believe that I need a code to play some basic online modes... and to access a fucking store. What is this...

What do you mean?

On the previous Fifa, a code was also necessary to play online. But it came with the game.

Carbonox

Wow, Zavvi did something they've never done in the entire time I've used them - they delivered the game a day before it's supposed to come out. :O

WrikaWrek

Banned
As someone with little training in Fifa, I find 12 to be an incredibly easy game.

I play it on Legendary, and It's just too easy. 0 challenge, ugh

Been playing the demo again. I can't bring myself to buy this at full price.

Unless someone can tell me what the gameplay sliders are so I can try and fix the problems I have with it?

Edit: nvm

Top Bottom