• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

JWong

Banned
mjfor40 said:
Well got the game and immediately went to XBOX Live. Love the controls on offense (passing, ball control) but I'm always destroying the opponent when I let the CPU defend. It's a joke.

The other player is obviously then holding A+B (running/defending method used in past FIFA) but to no avail as I run by and set up a goal. There is going to be a HUGE learning curve for past FIFA players who constantly held A on defense to jockey/try to steal the ball.

Not sure how this "letting the CPU defend for me" will go but so far I am destroying folks
You could let the CPU defend for you for several years now. Not sure why this one is different.

Socreges

Banned
My buddy picked this up today and we put in several games. I won every single one, even though I usually only win a light majority. I think it was a combination of me adapting to the new defending better than him, plus the game's new mechanics favouring my style. I often use L1/LB to step on the ball and throw off the defender - since the dribbling is more responsive, I find this is even more effective now.

Really, really enjoying it right now. The defending is much more complicated. It was difficult to adjust to (I depended heavily on the two-man press), but I think it's for the better. There are also a lot of little touches and refinements, such as the AI not going offside as foolishly.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
Horrible fucking excuse of a videogame.

The implementation of a new defending module is ambitious, but in practice just amounts to the feeling of running around on rollerblades. In practice it just amounts to passing to your striker and performing turn after turn into until the CPU opens the space by sending out a brickheaded defender.

The match-making is the most hilarious thing I've ever experienced. Why on earth they allow same-colour kits to play each other, especially as the match-making system is blind, is beyond me. Why they have the audacity to, when you pick a four star team, place you against teams such as Spain, is beyond me. Why the game lags like fucking crazy, against people in your own state, when you hold on "EA online pass", something they charge the player for to play online, is beyond me.

PES all the way this year son.

Lunchbox

Banned
`Moe Joe. said:
Why they have the audacity to, when you pick a four star team, place you against teams such as Spain, is beyond me.
because theres no actual matchmaking in this game. its a piece of shit call of duty style system where they lob people in matches randomly. you havent lived until you faced barcelona with QPR brah

What if we had TD throughout the pitch except in the penalty box where it automatically reverts to Legacy Defending? That would resolve most of the complaints about both the old and new defending system.

One thing I really like is how good the shooting feels in the game - they have a real zip about them.

Keio

For a Finer World
Still having difficulty getting a win online (in Europe it's still only the hardcore Season Pass players), but just tied 2-2 with Galatasaray in a good match. The defending works great, but when containing it's really hard not to over push the left stick to go too close to the opponent & opening space.

Got two goals scored against me that way: basically tracked the forward who then did a fast 180, I was standing too close and got wrongfooted – and it was a simple RB+shoot to the goal.

Looking forward to the "retail launch" in Europe so there will be a lot of newbies to the system. I predict harsh defeats and rage quits in the first days for a lot of casual players :D

Lunchbox said:
because theres no actual matchmaking in this game. its a piece of shit call of duty style system where they lob people in matches randomly. you havent lived until you faced barcelona with QPR brah
Jesus. Let's wait until there's a large player base out there instead of the few thousand season ticket holders before we start calling it a "piece of shit".

Aspiring

Meus Renaissance said:
I want a match with someone on GAF please (Xbox)

I don't have it yet but feel free to add me AsPiRiNg YoUtH. Will play plenty when I get it tomorrow and would be good to whoop some gaffers arse : )

froliq

qwerty2k said:
anyone post the general gist of this as i can't get to the ea site at work?
From the EA page:

I am hearing that humans will be able to control GOALKEEPERS as a last resort online with FIFA 12. I am not happy about this, infact when playing the demo and your not in control of the ball just press the "back" button on Xbox pad (Select on PS3?) AND BAM you are the goalkeeper and the AI is doing all the pitch work for you.

Not only that.. BUT pulling off saves are just too easy and I blocked the CPU from scoring everyime by just pressing the direction and it did not matter if it was a low or high shot I would save them all.

I do not want to be playing this game online if all people are going to do is control the goalkeeper and let the AI chase me down. And im hearing this will be in ranked games too!! What is going on EA? this is as stupid as when you allowed others to play with passing assistance while the rest of us got screwed for trying to challenge ourselves.

COME ON EA!! I don't want people controlling there goalkeeper while the AI chases me around winning the ball for them. Im not having that one bit. I only buy the game for online, and while I enjoy you adding things to the game I and others are not happy when all you do is add FAIL SAFES for others who can't defend etc..

UPDATE 20/9/2011 - This Is What We All Now Face Online..
How to win online

Step 1: Use this formation

-------ST--------ST---------
---------CAM-------------------
------------------------------------
-------------------------------
LWB--CDM--CDM----RWB
------CB--CB--CB-----------

put all players mentalitly to Attack 'low' Defense 'High'

Step 2: Use this custom tactic

100 speed build up
100 passing

Defence = Deep, Narrow, 0 Pressure.

Step 3: Chose a team with a speedy strike force and when the game starts set the team mentality to 'all out defence'

Step 4: Press select for PS3/chose keeper

Step 5: When AI win's ball quick switch to your team and counter and score.

My record so far Wins 110 Draws 20 Losses 2

CaVaYeRo

We've recorded "El Clásico Madrid-Barça".

TBH, I didn't like the demo that much. It felt like you couldn't give a strong pass and that everyone was floating around, not to mention the impossible through passes the game came up with.

I've also been playing FIFA 12 on 3DS, and it seemed ugly and slow. Anyway, I really want to play this game longer and with human rivals. It's like my perfect football game is a mix between FIFA 12 and PES 12...

Rikkun

It's here
It's here

UNFFFFF
Gamestop IT broke D1, I'm installing :D

"Do you want Inter or Milan steelbox?"

"WTF NONE, TAKE MINE, SCREW EM"

Meus Renaissance said:
Where is the fun in doing this?

hehe. You're kidding right? What's the fun in playing as Barcelona and Real Madrid everytime and setting Ronaldo as your Striker, and playing ultra defensive? It is the same idea. At one point, our culture decided winning at all costs was what madefooty video games fun. Not simulating actual football.

Nyx

Awesome Animals said:
hehe. You're kidding right? What's the fun in playing as Barcelona and Real Madrid everytime and setting Ronaldo as your Striker, and playing ultra defensive? It is the same idea. At one point, our culture decided winning at all costs was what madefooty video games fun. Not simulating actual football.

And therefore I quit playing football games online.

Nyx said:
And therefore I quit playing football games online.

Welcome to the party sir.

Although I mainly play offline because I didn't buy a 60fps game just so that I could have a fuck load of control lag added to my experience online.

mil6es

I actually love playing with Liverpool online now :D love this game, but scared now i've seen this supposed online goalkeeper expliot.....

LabouredSubterfuge said:

Although I mainly play offline because I didn't buy a 60fps game just so that I could have a fuck load of control lag added to my experience online.

My problem with offline is the AI. I'm hoping that the sliders will alleviate this frustration. Especially with this year, and how the precision dribbling mechanic is infinitely more helpful for the Opposing AI than it is for the Human Player.

mil6es said:
I actually love playing with Liverpool online now :D love this game, but scared now i've seen this supposed online goalkeeper expliot.....

I won't be doing H2H matches until that gets patched.

Nyx

LabouredSubterfuge said:

I like to play with my fav team online (FC Utrecht), but after playing against Barca, Real and Chelsea for the gazillionth time in a row, I vowed never to play Fifa online again, with the exception of games vs RL friends.

It also didn't help that I'm mediocre at best ofcourse.

Anyway, skipping both footie games this year, so wth am I doing here even. ;)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Awesome Animals said:
I won't be doing H2H matches until that gets patched.

You can still do friendlies. Did that just now and had a few awesome matches.

omgkitty

So this game is already annoying me. Firstly I created my VP, and placed him on Free Agents because I don't want him in my team when I play normally and in career mode as manager. In the options when starting a career, it gave me the option to use him, but I changed it to download current rosters. Well when I get into my team, guess what? Fucker was on my team. Ended up having to restart my 360 and start a new career to get it to work. Also the Live Season updates obviously don't work yet. I downloaded an update, but all it did was mess up my Arena player selection screen, putting them out of order.

I have also already seen like 5 penalties in the 4 or 5 games I have played. One of them was my fault as I clearly missed the ball, but the rest have been ridiculous and happened because the new collision system is a little too iffy. The other team's shot accuracy is also crazy bad/good. The first game I played, the other team missed literally 6 or 7 open shots on goal by kicking it wide of the post every time. Then the next game, the team hit ever shot it took. I was down 5-0 at half time and was so frustrated I stopped playing. Maybe I need to knock the difficulty down to Pro to get used to the new defending as obviously it's a little more refined than the demo, but some of the stuff is ridiculous. It's really hard to believe stupid little things like this, especially the VP issue, got through testing.

Menelaus said:
To people giving up penalties in the box: use "A" (contain), not "B" (tackle) in the box.

3 of the last 4 penalties I've conceded have been due to "A".

Something that is also visible is the success rate of dribbling has significantly gone up in matches. On average, I'd estimate 70% of all dribbles are completed. Unsurprisingly, the success rate of tackling has plummeted (lol its even an Achievement now to be unlocked). Shot rates have gone up.

It's difficult to say FIFA 12 is more "open" in terms of gameplay in general, but in and around the opponents box you certainly have more time and space to, if anything, take pop shots at the goal.

rvy

Banned
It's so awesome to see a player get injured mid-play, kick the ball out, watch the player get subbed, have the ref pick the ball up and watch the opposition give you the ball back. So awesome.
They need to fix the bugs though. I've watched the camera focus on the wrong player, I've been hearing the commentators mix Real Madrid with Benfica... whatever. And the Impact Engine is goofy as hell at times.

Cardigan

Alright guys, I feel really stupid for asking this. How do you play H2H ranked matches? I can't find it in the menus! I'm on the PC, btw.

Wilbur

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Anyone play with full manual controls? How hard is it to learn coming from being all assisted?

It's hard at first but I honestly can't play any other way. Having the ball ping around with no input apart from pressing a button and with no skill whatsoever is maddening to me. When you get used to it, it's worth it.

QVT said:
Cornballer still has to restart his 360 after every clubs match.
Has anyone else had problems with this? It's infuriating. Basically, any time I back out from the Clubs menu (back to the main screen options including "Xbox Live", "Virtual Pro", "Settings", etc...) my 360 freezes up. I'll try moving my profile to a memory stick tonight as this solved the problem last year w/ FIFA11.

ElyrionX

Sol.. said:
moderately hard you just got to remember to aim.

The difficulty I'm having with manual is shooting. I push in any direction other than forward, the striker hits the ball very wide off the goal. How do I aim for the corners of the net in this case?

ElyrionX

adelante said:
The only way to play it imho, as a couple others and myself have highlighted in the preview thread. You might want to consider remapping those buttons though (I'm on Alternate control scheme and had it reconfigured as such: tackle A, teammate press X, contain RB).

This makes so much more sense. It feels like a far more natural transition from the old system to TD. Will remap my buttons.

I am also on the Alternate scheme. I am guessing that most people who are on Alternate are former PES fans who defected lol.

omgkitty

ElyrionX said:
This makes so much more sense. It feels like a far more natural transition from the old system to TD. Will remap my buttons.

I am also on the Alternate scheme. I am guessing that most people who are on Alternate are former PES fans who defected lol.

Yes! I had only played one PES game when I switched on FIFA. It's so much more natural to use X to shoot instead of B. All my friends think I am stupid, but if they just switched, they would see the ways! Also, anyone else switch player change back to LT? LB for player change seems so stupid, in both PES and FIFA.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
anyone clarify how different it is to the demo?

Cardigan

Mr Cola said:
anyone clarify how different it is to the demo?
Impact system seems to be less buggy/glitchy. I think the tactical defending feels better (but I've only played online so it could just be easy opponents). From my short playtime with the game I am really enjoying it and think it is a solid purchase. Plus, I got it for cheap from buygamecdkeys.com so that only sweetens the deal.

Cardigan said:
Impact system seems to be less buggy/glitchy. I think the tactical defending feels better (but I've only played online so it could just be easy opponents). From my short playtime with the game I am really enjoying it and think it is a solid purchase. Plus, I got it for cheap from buygamecdkeys.com so that only sweetens the deal.

This site?

Top Bottom