• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

Fry

Stubo said:
I feel like this is a stupid question, but what didn't you like about it?

(I don't have 12 yet, I'm just curious...)

In most stadiums, the lightining became non existent. Also they could make it more realistic, like when you fall down, you should slide, etc.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
BatmanBatmanBatman said:
The guy does some long ass throw ins, in real life too, but yeah they shouldn't mess up that badly with a fucking throw in.

It's even harder to see in that video. It touched the post which is why it changes direction.

Hm, bad oversight then.

Stubo

Fry8 said:
In most stadiums, the lightining became non existent. Also they could make it more realistic, like when you fall down, you should slide, etc.
Ah yes, I support this! Perhaps there will one day be keeper fumbles caused by the wet ball. It would certainly inject some randomness to the gameplay though (and associated rage!)

JWong said:
Rory Delap is the god thrower.

I think he may be the only guy in the game witht he giant throw in skill.

I have been looking around for the throw in attribute but can't find it anywhere. But yeah while Delap might be the best one there is quite a few players out there with throw in skills only just a bit below his.

Fry

BatmanBatmanBatman said:
I have been looking around for the throw in attribute but can't find it anywhere. But yeah while Delap might be the best one there is quite a few players out there with throw in skills only just a bit below his.

I think John Arne Riise can take them as long as Delap.

zou

Playing against your own team is fun. Thanks EA.

Same team same jersey however is the pinnacle of fundom.

Feel free to add me if you'd like another to play with. PSN: Keebzerz

This is my first FIFA game and I'm a new fan of the sport (as of the last World Cup) so take it easy on me!

*my copy from Amazon won't be here until later in the week.

BolognaSoup said:

This is my first FIFA game and I'm a new fan of the sport (as of the last World Cup) so take it easy on me!

Not my first FIFA, but a new fan since the last World Cup here too!

Soi-Fong

BolognaSoup said:

Nice! Will add you!

Hieberrr

I actually like tactical defending. I don't know what the defending was like last year (I only played fifa 11 on PC), but I like this year's defending. Feels like I have a lot if control over my players ... although it is going to take some time to get used to it. More control = waaaayyy more buttons. Also, how do you do tricks?? I can't figure it out to save my life lol

Shagwell

First impressions:

This game is fucking hard. Used to be able to play legendary (well, at a push anyway) on previous Fifas but now I've been forced to turn it down to professional. It probably won't be that extreme for most people but there's definitely a (worthwhile) learning curve.

There's nice little touches that have made the game feel more like a proper match. Players gesticulating at the referees when they feel it should be a corner or their throw in, the home crowd getting quieter as they watch their team play poorly and fail to create any chances, players playing a bit more like their real life counterparts, etc. It was also very cool to be playing as Liverpool at Anfield, having two players chase the bouncing ball and having Jose Enrique head the ball back to the keeper calmly with the crowd breaking out into applause for the composed piece of defending.

Really cannot create fuck all in terms of chances so far, however. That may just be because I've only played as Liverpool and perhaps the formation doesn't suit me, but it is a much more realistic and therefore more difficult game this time around.

sixghost

Stubo said:
Ah yes, I support this! Perhaps there will one day be keeper fumbles caused by the wet ball. It would certainly inject some randomness to the gameplay though (and associated rage!)
I think FIFA has enough awful keeper mistakes as is.

Is there anyway to specifically practice the Tactical Defending? It seems like people are really struggling with it, so that seems like a good place to start.

Shagwell

gutterboy44 said:
Greaaaat. Marked as delivered to my front door by UPS at 5pm today. No sign of the package :( Hope it wasn't stolen.
You have my deepest sympathy. I went through hell with UPS today to get my damn package.

Ok, I have been playing the demo more and more over the last few days in anticipation of my actual game getting here next week.

I have now actually won a demo game at Professional difficulty. I had to pay a ridiculous amount of attention when I didn't have the ball. I jockeyed like a horse rider, and I was VERY stingy once I got possession. I will admit, I was playing Barca against Man City, and so my players all had good ball control. And I created 3 glorious goals (I modded the timer using the .ini to 10 minutes a half since 3 minutes was lame and I was on the PC, so why not). The first one was actually a lucky shot off a deflected corner from Abidal. The other two were Messi being Messi inspite of my god awful skill moves. Guy just slalomed through 2 defenders with deft touches like RL and put it into the net. Hopefully I can keep getting better and do these kinds of moves with non-boosted players.

Also, I have (re)discovered Ultimate Team. I was never really into the whole FUT thing back in 11. I had given it a try and even ended up buying a 40 MSP pack because I was desperate for an edge. I gave in to the evil of micro-transactions. I never really understood what I was doing, and what chemistry does etc.

This year, I read up on some guides and some posts on reddit, and I have embarked upon my journey to build a 100 chemistry bronze team. I have been wheeling and dealing on the online FUT access page. Getting my free packs, fiddling with them, renewing auctions every hour. I mean I spent almost 2 hours today auctioning make-believe trading cards on the internet. Good god that feels weird to type. I could have been cracking heads and creating orphans in Alpha Brotocol, but I was checking player databases for good deals on the FUT auction house. What have I become *horror*?

sixghost

I realize the game has been out for all of 12 hours, but it's fucking fantastic. So many of the nagging issues from 11 seem to be gone. Players actually make intelligent runs inside the box, rather than fucking standing there. You can FINALLY create chances inside the box using "A" passes since they fixed the horrible horrible passing power. Balls actually arrive at peoples feet with some pace, rather than barely getting to your target.

Headers seem better. Balls seem to come off players' head with realistic pace, rather than either being a rocket or dribbling off their head. Crossing seems better. Not as many shitty lobs with the default cross, the low driven ball seems better.

Still learning the tackling system, but it seems like something that will become better with practice.

Drewfonse

Questions for experienced players:

Is there a way to turn transfers off in Season mode? Does the game force you to create a player and use him when choosing to play as both Manager and Player in season mode? It seems like it didn't force me to create a fictitious player when only playing as a Player, but it did when I started a new Season as both Player and Manager.

Also, how the heck do you attempt a save when defending a penalty? My keeper stands there like an idiot, regardless of what I do. THANKS

JWong

Banned
Drewfonse said:
Questions for experienced players:

Is there a way to turn transfers off in Season mode? Does the game force you to create a player and use him when choosing to play as both Manager and Player in season mode? It seems like it didn't force me to create a fictitious player when only playing as a Player, but it did when I started a new Season as both Player and Manager.

Also, how the heck do you attempt a save when defending a penalty? My keeper stands there like an idiot, regardless of what I do. THANKS
Hmm I'm not sure about the career modes yet. Manager should just be creating some made up manager, but not create-a-player. Player Manager needs a created player or VP. Player Career can use a Real Player, VP or Created Player.

Saving is a guessing game like in real life. Left analog to slightly position yourself, and right analog to dive in the direction. I usually pick a direction and move both analog sticks that way.

Drewfonse

JWong said:
Hmm I'm not sure about the career modes yet. Manager should just be creating some made up manager, but not create-a-player. Player Manager needs a created player or VP. Player Career can use a Real Player, VP or Created Player.

Saving is a guessing game like in real life. Left analog to slightly position yourself, and right analog to dive in the direction. I usually pick a direction and move both analog sticks that way.

AHHHH, right analog....

zou

Real, Real, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona, Real, Barcelona, Barcelona, Real, Real, Milan, Barcelona.

H2H is complete and utter shit in Fifa 12 :/

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Shagwell said:
First impressions:

This game is fucking hard. Used to be able to play legendary (well, at a push anyway) on previous Fifas but now I've been forced to turn it down to professional. It probably won't be that extreme for most people but there's definitely a (worthwhile) learning curve.

There's nice little touches that have made the game feel more like a proper match. Players gesticulating at the referees when they feel it should be a corner or their throw in, the home crowd getting quieter as they watch their team play poorly and fail to create any chances, players playing a bit more like their real life counterparts, etc. It was also very cool to be playing as Liverpool at Anfield, having two players chase the bouncing ball and having Jose Enrique head the ball back to the keeper calmly with the crowd breaking out into applause for the composed piece of defending.

Really cannot create fuck all in terms of chances so far, however. That may just be because I've only played as Liverpool and perhaps the formation doesn't suit me, but it is a much more realistic and therefore more difficult game this time around.

yeah i had to go down to professional but i can go back to legendary after i adjust the sliders some.

like you'd be surprised the world of difference taking 5 points off of max speed and accel for the CPU.

sneaky77

zou said:
Real, Real, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona, Real, Barcelona, Barcelona, Real, Real, Milan, Barcelona.

H2H is complete and utter shit in Fifa 12 :/

Don't pick a 5 star team, problem solved. I haven't seen Madrid or Barca at all. I have seen Scotland, Poland Romania and United states though

also.. it was the same exact way in fifa 11.. except at least if you pick a lower team you're more likely to avoid those teams

Lunchbox

Banned
every single game i played is barcelona, if im lucky ill get real madrid once every 10 game. picked 3/4 star teams, and still got matched with the scum :|, and now i cant even back out when shitholes pick that team either like the old games due to the shitty matchmaking. going back to gears for awhile, its getting really boring.

atleast i still have stoke

Crouchy magic - http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/95156871

AWGW2.jpg

Gibbo

This game is amazing. Quite amazed at that the managed to improve on presentation from fifa 11(which was already quite polished

Btw, any asian players here? I wanted to join online clubs in the community forum thread ;but i see that its just for US players. Im rocking with Newcastle United so it will be easy points for whoever is playing ahainst me ;)

Just drew with a dude who's obviously better than I am (He thrashed me 4-0 and 3-0 the two matches before) after 120 minutes. This game is boss.

sneaky77

Good to see the ping pong passing is alive and well... I still have people trying to pressure me all over the field with 2 or 3 players at all times, except seems a bit more plausible to beat it more often this time around

sneaky77

somethings make you wonder if they ever test the games lol lobbed passes check, shitty finesse shots going in making the goalie look like a dumbass, check.. seriously thats like 4 or 5 yrs in a row now.. geez.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
sneaky77 said:
somethings make you wonder if they ever test the games lol lobbed passes check, shitty finesse shots going in making the goalie look like a dumbass, check.. seriously thats like 4 or 5 yrs in a row now.. geez.

In addition to the servers being spotty as hell earlier, you can tell JWong all about not doing his job. Cornballer still has to restart his 360 after every clubs match.

JWong

Banned
QVT said:
In addition to the servers being spotty as hell earlier, you can tell JWong all about not doing his job. Cornballer still has to restart his 360 after every clubs match.
And what job do I do?

half time score, down 0-3 as Milan vs r. Madrid. Final score 5-3, wow that felt good haha..

I would also like to know if there's a regular head to head ranked section. Me and my bro like to play together on the same team but all we could find was head to head friendlies.

sneaky77

as long as custom formations and fully automatic bs keep breaking the defensive AI as easy as it does now, Fifa is never quite gonna get there.

mjfor40

Well got the game and immediately went to XBOX Live. Love the controls on offense (passing, ball control) but I'm always destroying the opponent when I let the CPU defend. It's a joke.

The other player is obviously then holding A+B (running/defending method used in past FIFA) but to no avail as I run by and set up a goal. There is going to be a HUGE learning curve for past FIFA players who constantly held A on defense to jockey/try to steal the ball.

Not sure how this "letting the CPU defend for me" will go but so far I am destroying folks

Top Bottom