• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

SumGamer

Someone is lucky. I started playing online last night. Two games with Newcastle then Santos, I get Man City and Man United.

rvy

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
Wow, Zavvi did something they've never done in the entire time I've used them - they delivered the game a day before it's supposed to come out. :O
Your case must be broken.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Getting used to it, I think I have the defense sort of down, but I have trouble getting past the AI's defense on professional.Playing human players is a looot of fun though.

rvy

Banned
Carbonox_Ratchet said:
:lol

Nah, it's in perfect condition. I'm simply astounded.
Nah, man... that can't be. Must be possessed by the Devil or something.

Enjoy yourself, it's a celebration.

GorillaJu

The likeness is uncanny!

n6ySi.jpg

Amneisac

I'm not really having a great experience so far. I played FIFA 10 and 11, mostly all I play is pro clubs online and it's just a really bad experience right now. Almost every game is either 0-0 or 1-0. There are never any fouls called no matter how badly the other team plows us over to take possession. I don't mind that the game is slower and a little more difficult to score (I like that they seemed to remove some of the glitchy/cheap ways people would score before), but I feel like they've almost taken the Madden approach of "Oh, you would like the game to be more difficult? Now your receivers will drop the ball every time!"

Not to mention my friend's xbox hard freezes after every single online match we play. I would have thought it was just his machine, but it happened to another friend once also. My game was freezing after downloading a team from the Creation Centre. I don't know, there are things I enjoy, but I think it's got some pretty serious bugs going on. I wish for once, just one fucking time, EA would work on fixing bugs instead of adding bullshit.

One of my buddies who I was playing Fifa 11 with is buying this game right now (for pc) and I want to buy it too to kick his ass but I have to wait 2 weeks for the money :(
*starts up Fifa 12 demo*

sneaky77

adelante said:
So what do you think the root of that issue is then? Because I was just focusing on a single gameplay mechanic, an archaic system of combining homing runs with automated tackles... which was an entire problem by itself that they've alleviated by removing one aspect of it.

The root of the issue is, and has been for a few yrs, the 100 aggression and no noticeable fatigue in top teams, where they can chase you around all field.

also is too easy with ping pong passing to have 8 defenders and 2 speedy lone forwards just ping ponging it between them cause the defense AI is not good enough to deal with the pass speed.

The issue is not letting the AI defend, thats not a big deal, is letting the AI defend with the tactical settings that were put in the same example.

Is been the same issue for a few yrs straight.

edit: I will say the new matchmaking is for the most part great, except the whole club vs national team stuff that seems to happen quite a bit, at least for me. I have only played Barca and Madrid when I chose Bayer Munich. I had to play Man Utd and Milan with a 4 star team though, but it was probably not as many players online at the time.

Got some decent time in last night but only playing as my virtual pro (player control only) I don’t know how it will feel when I control the whole team but the TD seems to slow down the game and make the possession spells more like soccer and less like basketball. The passing speeds seem a little more reasonable and it finally feels like there is some space on the field to be creative instead of just bombing forward with sprint. The runs behind the defenders are more challenging now and it doesn’t feel as “arcade” like.

Thank god for the sliders though. I feel comfortable on Professional but I felt like even with Man U v. 3 star teams my AI players would let the other team hold the ball for way too long. I gave the CPU a little more passing errors and it made it balance out much better. The sliders are allowing me to customize my challenge level and it has made a massive difference. Shooting bar seems to charge way slower and tackling is much harder. I keep hitting X instead of square (alternate controls) to make a challenge! That is going to take a while to get used to.

Amneisac said:
I'm not really having a great experience so far. I played FIFA 10 and 11, mostly all I play is pro clubs online and it's just a really bad experience right now. Almost every game is either 0-0 or 1-0. There are never any fouls called no matter how badly the other team plows us over to take possession. I don't mind that the game is slower and a little more difficult to score (I like that they seemed to remove some of the glitchy/cheap ways people would score before), but I feel like they've almost taken the Madden approach of "Oh, you would like the game to be more difficult? Now your receivers will drop the ball every time!"

Not to mention my friend's xbox hard freezes after every single online match we play. I would have thought it was just his machine, but it happened to another friend once also. My game was freezing after downloading a team from the Creation Centre. I don't know, there are things I enjoy, but I think it's got some pretty serious bugs going on. I wish for once, just one fucking time, EA would work on fixing bugs instead of adding bullshit.

Clearly your VPros aren't very strong yet. The FC In n Out is having an easy time scoring. I know I got a hat trick in one game, and we usually can score 2-3 goals. Work on improving your pros to at least 75(ish) and you should start to see improvements.

Amneisac

Awesome Animals said:
Clearly your VPros aren't very strong yet. The FC In n Out is having an easy time scoring. I know I got a hat trick in one game, and we usually can score 2-3 goals. Work on improving your pros to at least 75(ish) and you should start to see improvements.

Yeah, maybe you're right, I play CAM and I'm an 80, but I feel like even in head to head games or playing exhibition against the AI that the problems affect non virtual pros also. We're also shutting out almost every team we play, our only losses have been when we lose 1-0. We're something like 5-17-3.

The games are just very boring and I feel like strength (as an attribute) is a little overpowered right now with the lack of fouls being called. I do think they needed to take things in this direction a little bit, but it feels like they've gone too far. We'll see, maybe I'm being too quick to judge, but things just aren't quite right. We used to score 6-9 goals a game in FIFA 11 and that was obviously silly, I enjoy a slower pace, but it seems excessively frustrating more than just slowed down.

Amneisac said:
Yeah, maybe you're right, I play CAM and I'm an 80, but I feel like even in head to head games or playing exhibition against the AI that the problems affect non virtual pros also. We're also shutting out almost every team we play, our only losses have been when we lose 1-0. We're something like 5-17-3.

The games are just very boring and I feel like strength (as an attribute) is a little overpowered right now with the lack of fouls being called. I do think they needed to take things in this direction a little bit, but it feels like they've gone too far. We'll see, maybe I'm being too quick to judge, but things just aren't quite right. We used to score 6-9 goals a game in FIFA 11 and that was obviously silly, I enjoy a slower pace, but it seems excessively frustrating more than just slowed down.

Have you adjusted your tactics? We used to just throw balls downfield and try to use speed down the wings and such in 11, but now we have slown the pace considerably, and emphasized the importance of maitaining our shape in the formation.

Cornballer said:
Basically, any time I back out from the Clubs menu (back to the main screen options including "Xbox Live", "Virtual Pro", "Settings", etc...) my 360 freezes up. I'll try moving my profile to a memory stick tonight as this solved the problem last year w/ FIFA11.
I moved my profile to a usb stick last night, and it's working fine now.

Kylehimself said:
Getting this tomorrow. What's the idea of these sliders? Can you just make your team beasts and the CPU wick? If so, what's the point?

Well, if you can play on Amateur, what's the point in offering the other difficulties? It is the same idea, but allows for little tweaks to adjust the game to be a better balance for your skill level.

Awesome Animals said:
Well, if you can play on Amateur, what's the point in offering the other difficulties? It is the same idea, but allows for little tweaks to adjust the game to be a better balance for your skill level.
But what I'm saying is, if you play on world class for talk sake. Then you tweek the life out of it, you're not really playing world class are you? Why not just drop down to pro.

Edit: Is it a case of the tweeks being so little that you're not really changing the difficulty that much?

Menelaus

Banned
Kylehimself said:
But what I'm saying is, if you play on world class for talk sake. Then you tweek the life out of it, you're not really playing world class are you? Why not just drop down to pro.
Because the AI gets downright stupid in certain areas, like top speed/accell speed on higher difficulties. It allows you to overcome bad design decisions while keeping it "realistic".

Amneisac

Awesome Animals said:
Have you adjusted your tactics? We used to just throw balls downfield and try to use speed down the wings and such in 11, but now we have slown the pace considerably, and emphasized the importance of maitaining our shape in the formation.

Yeah, we're trying to adjust. We have one striker who's having a real problem with it, but we're all trying to learn the new system. It just feels like the changes they made to the passing game / defending are making it hard to play the pass.

Menelaus said:
Whoo hoo!
Ezu1z.gif

Kylehimself said:
It lets you tune it with a little more control. I usually find myself stuck between difficulties after playing a lot of FIFA - one level is way too easy but the next one up is frustrating. Hopefully this allows me to find somewhere in the middle.

Cornballer said:
It lets you tune it with a little more control. I usually find myself stuck between difficulties after playing a lot of FIFA - one level is way too easy but the next one up is frustrating. Hopefully this allows me to find somewhere in the middle.
Okay, I get it now.

ElyrionX

I can't believe there is a complete lack of in-game tutorial. They even got rid of the tutorial videos from last year. All we got is a pathetic "in-game manual" now.

After switching to all manual controls, I'm finding it hard to get a grasp on crossing and shooting. What is the timing that I need to input for the direction of the cross/shot and when do I do the input for the swerve/curl?

Also, when do I use jockey and when do I use contain?

Menelaus

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I can't believe there is a complete lack of in-game tutorial. They even got rid of the tutorial videos from last year. All we got is a pathetic "in-game manual" now.

After switching to all manual controls, I'm finding it hard to get a grasp on crossing and shooting. What is the timing that I need to input for the direction of the cross/shot and when do I do the input for the swerve/curl?

Also, when do I use jockey and when do I use contain?
There ARE tutorials. In fact, that's the very first thing you see when you put the game in for the first time.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Menelaus said:
There ARE tutorials. In fact, that's the very first thing you see when you put the game in for the first time.

Thats not really a tutorial, more a short show off for new features. I fully agree with the poster you quoted. In the tutorial you mentioned there are 7 steps, each of which on its own would deserve 5 steps to explain correct usage, timing, disadvantages etc. The game shows you whats possible but doesnt tell you when to use it.

ElyrionX

Menelaus said:

That's only for the new defense system. Nothing covering skill moves and all the other controls in the game.

Toma

ElyrionX said:
That's only for the new defense system. Nothing covering skill moves and all the other controls in the game.

And that as well. A tutorial for the skill moves (since they need to be used in different situations) would also be very welcome indeed.
They also dont show you how to attack. I mean we all try how we think it should be, but technically the game doesnt even tell you how to score a goal.

sneaky77

ElyrionX said:

You can find all the skill moves, going to controls > buttons > skill moves

Toma

sneaky77 said:
You can find all the skill moves, going to controls > buttons > skill moves

This:

Toma said:
And that as well. A tutorial for the skill moves (since they need to be used in different situations) would also be very welcome indeed.
They also dont show you how to attack. I mean we all try how we think it should be, but technically the game doesnt even tell you how to score a goal.

You cant practice them properly. They should have added scenarios where you need to practice every skill move in a proper situation against an opponent since its difficult to recreate situations where the different skill moves are good to use.

NinjaKixx

Banned
can someone give me some ball control tips? It just seems like the AI steals the ball anytime they get near me. They will steal it from the back, while jockeying me, so on so forth. I dont use sprint unless I'm on a break either.

It just seems like I can run and jockey their AI all the way down the field and rarely ever steal the ball, yet the AI does it at will.

Menelaus

Banned
When your defender sticks his arm out, start holding B, and start pushing the left stick towards the ball. Works fine for me with generic club defenders, and I win the ball probably 70-80% of the time.

Messi

Kylehimself said:
I'm hearing that some of the big name moves from the summer and even last January haven't had face updates which is pretty poor. Can anybody confirm?

You mean suarez? if so then yes, they did nothing to him or carroll.

Get'sMad

Picked this up yesterday despite playing little of the demo and thought the new defense was going to fuck with me. I don't feel like I have a great grasp at the new defensive system yet, but despite this I haven't had much trouble with the AI and difficulty of the game. I played a few exhibition matches on Professional to learn how to play the new defense, but then decided to just learn along the way starting a career mode on World Class difficulty. I picked Brighton & Hove Albion as my team to build and my first 2 friendlies were against Dortmund and Barca. I was able to draw with Dortmund and only lost 1-0 to Barca and so far I've had no trouble beating teams in my Championship league matches. I think the ease for me in this years comes from being able to to dribble in tight spaces in/around the box much easier. Having fun, but yeah the AI isn't really impressing me. Still need to give it a go online.

SumGamer

Anybody play with less than 4 stars team here? Can you give me some tips? I enjoy playing the game with friend but not AI. I'm ok with defending now, I think, but I now feel cheated at World Class (I felt this way while playing Legendary in 11 too). Passes stray a lot, under powered too (Even when the pass indication is spot on as well). Everything just feel wrong today. I play friendly H2H with friend for a season yesterday and get some good results as well, just not when playing AI.

SumGamer said:
Anybody play with less than 4 stars team here? Can you give me some tips? I enjoy playing the game with friend but not AI. I'm ok with defending now, I think, but I now feel cheated at World Class (I felt this way while playing Legendary in 11 too). Passes stray a lot, under powered too (Even when the pass indication is spot on as well). Everything just feel wrong today. I play friendly H2H with friend for a season yesterday and get some good results as well, just not when playing AI.

I play with an awful League Two side. They are plain bad, but there are definitely bright spots. At that level, you just need to find the mismatches and exploit them. Not everybody on your team is a Xavi passer or van Persie shooter, so you need to find who does what extremely well and just let them stick to that.

For example, I have a guy with speed that's very unusual against our competition. He's not great at anything else, but he can run fast as hell. So, I find the slowest defender on the other team and try to draw him out.

It really just comes down to familiarity with your team and, eventually, your league.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
NinjaKixx said:
can someone give me some ball control tips? It just seems like the AI steals the ball anytime they get near me. They will steal it from the back, while jockeying me, so on so forth. I dont use sprint unless I'm on a break either.

It just seems like I can run and jockey their AI all the way down the field and rarely ever steal the ball, yet the AI does it at will.

The generic defenders are now more powerful than your virtual pro in clubs, at least when I'm an 81. We'll see it if holds up when I hit higher strength, but they just immediately take the ball if it's side to side. That is no longer how you can play, it seems.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
hey guys can you transfer your virtual pro from fifa 11 to fifa 12 somehow?

ijm72

So after playing a decent amount of games I have to say I like the new defending system. I usually just stick to jockeying and sometimes contain. The only time I usually go for the tackle is when Im running side to side with a forward. One thing I have noticed is that I have a much harder time defending against the CPU than against human players. When I play the CPU on a higher difficulty level sometimes they just pass the ball all around me and its not like they score a lot but still its harder to defend. When I play online head to head matches I seem to get a lot more interceptions and tackles. I also love that when Im playing head to head matches I actually have time to do things because I don't have a defender homing in on me all the time.

adelante

sneaky77 said:
The root of the issue is, and has been for a few yrs, the 100 aggression and no noticeable fatigue in top teams, where they can chase you around all field.

also is too easy with ping pong passing to have 8 defenders and 2 speedy lone forwards just ping ponging it between them cause the defense AI is not good enough to deal with the pass speed.

The issue is not letting the AI defend, thats not a big deal, is letting the AI defend with the tactical settings that were put in the same example.

Is been the same issue for a few yrs straight.
I know a lot of people have aggression and stamina to be the root of many issues in FIFA. I was wondering what QVT meant when he brought that up in direct response to my comment about EA removing automated tacklings. Because as far as I'm concerned (and I only wanted to highlight this), it's a significant fix, not to be dismissed as a "treatment for a symptom". And to be honest, I find aggression almost a non-issue considering how cpu teams no longer have the tendency to rush in for the ball. The fact that I can now pass around outside the box is testament to this.

Top Bottom