• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Been playing the demo again. I can't bring myself to buy this at full price.

Unless someone can tell me what the gameplay sliders are so I can try and fix the problems I have with it?

Edit: nvm

Depends on what your problems are. All the beefs (quirky dribbling, CPU cheating, broken manual controls) i had are significantly less of a problem with the retail version. The only thing that really sticks around is the CPU always being faster which is something i rectified with sliders. Even then it became apparent it has something to do with morale because without slider changes if my team is hot the CPU is less likely to bullshit ya.

QVT said:
The generic defenders are now more powerful than your virtual pro in clubs, at least when I'm an 81. We'll see it if holds up when I hit higher strength, but they just immediately take the ball if it's side to side. That is no longer how you can play, it seems.
I wonder to what extent it'd be worth your while to give your VP a little more height and strength at the expense of top level speed. If they've taken out some of the advantage of being very fast, you might consider at least making him big enough to go shoulder to shoulder with centerbacks.

Meier

Awesome Animals said:
Is that article implying that all players in the game already have their top OVR rating set?
Probably a range for their exact rating with a cap of max possible rating. I know Football Manager "secretly" (I guess it gets hacked every year) has a max skill range/star level for every existing player

sneaky77

Toma said:
This:

You cant practice them properly. They should have added scenarios where you need to practice every skill move in a proper situation against an opponent since its difficult to recreate situations where the different skill moves are good to use.

there is a practice arena.. where you can just have only 1 defender and practice

Decado

I'm gonna ask this again because it's pretty important to me (considering selling the game if I can't resolve it): Is there a way to edit the age of players (as in FIFA 10, 11 etc.) or at least keep players from aging?

Decado said:
I'm gonna ask this again because it's pretty important to me (considering selling the game if I can't resolve it): Is there a way to edit the age of players (as in FIFA 10, 11 etc.) or at least keep players from aging?

Have you gone to the edit players section from the menu? I think it is under My FIFA 12? I'm pretty sure you can mess around with the stats and such of all the players. If it isn't there, then I'd say you're sol.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
ijm72 said:
So after playing a decent amount of games I have to say I like the new defending system. I usually just stick to jockeying and sometimes contain. The only time I usually go for the tackle is when Im running side to side with a forward. One thing I have noticed is that I have a much harder time defending against the CPU than against human players. When I play the CPU on a higher difficulty level sometimes they just pass the ball all around me and its not like they score a lot but still its harder to defend. When I play online head to head matches I seem to get a lot more interceptions and tackles. I also love that when Im playing head to head matches I actually have time to do things because I don't have a defender homing in on me all the time.

same here. the whole game feels more fluid.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
sneaky77 said:
there is a practice arena.. where you can just have only 1 defender and practice

Its not the same. Some skills need quite special positions you need to be in to be actually able to practice them. Same with shooting btw. there were some practice mode in PES I believe where you are put into a prepared game situation and need to press the shoot button for the correct amount of time to see what a perfect shot from 32 yards would look like. I love Fifa 12 and it seems to be the best soccer game out there, but more well thought-out pre-prepared tutorial MISSIONS would really help easing players into all the possibilities and moves of this game.

Bumhead

Banned
I think the tactical defending is brilliant.

There's a learning curve there but once you get settled with it, it really clicks.

To be honest, I'd go as far as to say this is the single biggest improvement they've made in terms of the ebb and flow of the football. People have talked about FIFA being "realistic" for years, but anybody who watches football knows there was never anything realistic about the old defending system, the holding X to constantly chase people down like unstoppable Terminator's or something. With the jockeying especially, there's a new dynamic to how the defending works.. and in my opinion it's fantastic.

I don't think FIFA 12 is perfect and there's some flaws elsewhere that still bug the hell out of me (seriously, the impact engine could do with another year in the oven), but this year's game has a feel about it that I'm really digging compared to 10 and 11. I think some of the better utilisied new ideas and the evolution of old ones has really clicked.

Plasma

Banned
So I've been playing all evening and I have to say I'm really, really disappointed. I hate the new defending controls, maybe I need to put some more time into them to get better but they just seem awful and the AI isn't helping either as they seem to constantly stray out of position and not pick up who they're supposed to be marking.

Also goalkeepers can still pelt out of their area and pick the ball up magically from your feet without conceding a penalty even when they do barrel you over. Seriously how has this not been fixed? It's been like this for the past two years and they've always said they fixed it but when the game comes out it never is. Don't see why either as it was fine in World Cup 2010.

It's a real shame because the game looks great, I really like the new camera and they've done a good job of presenting the game with the new intros in the matches and stuff like the transfer deadline day.

Bumhead

Banned
Mat C said:
I think the tactical defending is brilliant.

There's a learning curve there but once you get settled with it, it really clicks.

Plasma said:
I hate the new defending controls, maybe I need to put some more time into them to get better but they just seem awful and the AI isn't helping either as they seem to constantly stray out of position and not pick up who they're supposed to be marking.

Heh, it's definitely going to be one of those things.. :D

Captain N said:
I just wanna know how Fifa 12 plays on the iPad while using an iPhone as a controller.

I really wish the iPad version wasn't running on the PS2 engine. It would be cool if they attempted to port the PC version or something. My gosh, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

What is this corrupt squad file error I keep getting in ranked matches?

Tried signing out and signing back in and now the EA Servers aren't available. Yay. :/

striKeVillain! said:
What is this corrupt squad file error I keep getting in ranked matches?

Tried signing out and signing back in and now the EA Servers aren't available. Yay. :/

I got disconnected from an online friendly match a few hours ago and was never able to reconnect to the EA servers.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can anyone who's played both the demo and the full game cofirm or dismiss that they game runs equally crappy on both demo and full version on PC? Because I have played the demo and it runs horrific, with horrible framerate and stuttering, even on medium settings and low resolution (720p), with our without V-sync and MSAA. My PC run just about other multiplatform game better than the X360 versions of the same game, but not FIFA 12. And PES 2012 runs flawlessly (the demo at least).

PaulLFC

The new defending is feeling pretty ridiculous so far. I'm following the advice in the tutorial, and all my players seem to do is stand off. They won't move in close enough to make an X tackle anything more than a complete waste of time, opening up a huge space for the now completely free striker to run into. And the defenders' movement is so slow that if you do manage to make them move anywhere near the ball, where a challenge might be likely to win possession, the opposition player has already spun away.

No PC impressions :/

If I delay it I'm just going to come home hammered one night and end up buying it anyway. Might as well just do it now.

TD is a game changing element, more significant than any other addition in FIFA's history from what I can remember. It'll be very interesting to see how the community feels about this as the weeks go on, and also how EA Sports react to it. It wouldn't shock me, though, to see TD becoming an optional feature for Ranked games in a similar way Manual controls are.

StarEye said:
Can anyone who's played both the demo and the full game cofirm or dismiss that they game runs equally crappy on both demo and full version on PC? Because I have played the demo and it runs horrific, with horrible framerate and stuttering, even on medium settings and low resolution (720p), with our without V-sync and MSAA. My PC run just about other multiplatform game better than the X360 versions of the same game, but not FIFA 12. And PES 2012 runs flawlessly (the demo at least).
Runs perfect here.

Burak_50

Neo Member
What the fuck is wrong with the servers ?

Got disconnected from a match and can't sign in again and that's the second time today, that they aren't available.

leng jai

I've played about 20 matches so far and most of them have been goal fests. It normally comes down to how many chances I can convert since I have about 10 a game at the moment. I seem to be having more success with longer shots...the seemingly easy shots seem to result in superman keeper making an appearance.

bwtw

Neo Member
Bungieware said:
Did anyone get it on PC yet? Any impressions?

Got it, about what you'd expect really. Console version but with nicer graphics (slightly) + framerate.

Have been booted from every UT game so far (after FT) but that seems to be a game issue rather than PC-specific.

edit: How on earth do you play a Quick Ranked game?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Did EA add the actual fixture lists in this year? At least for the major leagues? I don't know why but that bothers the hell out of me.

Hm, I was average at best in FIFA11. I am stupidly horrible at FIFA12 haha. I understand that the game is trying to force you to play like a real football match, unfortunately I dont understand enough about football to know what that is :p

I am a very casual football fan and haven't owned a soccer games since PES on the PS2. I don't doubt the high-level issues y'all are talking about - but to me, this game is straight up amazing. It plays so fluidly, has a million modes that are all fun... 11v11 online is nuts.

I am smitten. I do wish their were more tutorials for soccer newbs like myself. But just playing it non-stop has taught me a ton about the game.

Aspiring

Okay so i just remembered that i have one of those fathead things when you preordered at amazon. I am not interested in any MLS team and have no need for it. Would anyone like the code to recieve it? If so first to quote this can have it.

JesusTom

Did about 2 hours tonight, absolutely love the new defending. It's so much more rewarding when you show a player on to his weaker foot and force the mistake than just tackle him easily and run on the counter. Looking forward to a whole day of it tomorrow

Araxen

Banned
I'm getting sick of the AI being able to turn on a dime while my virtual pro can't do that at all. Even the "boosting" teams you can download from the creation center can do it and they have all 1's for stats!

depward

Aspiring said:
Okay so i just remembered that i have one of those fathead things when you preordered at amazon. I am not interested in any MLS team and have no need for it. Would anyone like the code to recieve it? If so first to quote this can have it.
Would love the code! Go Timbers!

Thinking of picking up the 360 version... May aldo be interested in club play.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
after a good amount of exhibition matches with my friends, I began career mode. My 2nd friendly match was vs Liverpool. In less than 2 minutes, Suarez falls to the ground and gets taken out for his injury. It looked like a dive to me honestly.
:p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
God, I love this sport.

Played the H2H season thing where you need 12 points to advance to the higher division. I really struggled and made it to 10 points before the last of the 10 games, which meant I needed to win the damn last game.

What happens? Of course.. nothing. 0:0 at half, I was already expecting to go out with 1 point, kicking myself in the nuts for missing the 12 point mark by one. But no! 1:0! For my opponent in the 54th minute. Argh.

Changed to Full Offense, allowing a few better chances for both sides, finally resulting in the 1:1 in the 80th minute. Equalizer... again =/ 10 minutes nothing happens, then I get a free kick 35 metres or something away from the goal in the 90th minute. Too far to shoot, so I pass to a player of mine, and my over eager opponent fouled my receiving player on the edge of the penalty area! I was already expecting a penalty in the 90th minute, but only got the free kick slightly outside. (AAAAARGH) He then took one of his defenders to cover the guy standing on the same height to prevent me from passing up and shooting, so I passed to the guy standing next to his wall of players. He got the ball, turned, pushed it into the net and the whistle blows shortly after.

13 points, next division.

Holy shit.

ezodagrom

StarEye said:
If you have an AMD/ATI graphics card, in the full game there's an option in the graphics settings to fix the stuttering for these cards.

Plasma

Banned
Guileless said:
Did EA add the actual fixture lists in this year? At least for the major leagues? I don't know why but that bothers the hell out of me.

I can't say this for all leagues/teams but when I started a career mode as Arsenal the fixtures were the same as the actual fixture list.

They still don't put the top four sides in the champions cup though.

I only play H2H, I won 10 matches so far, of which 3 were random disconnections (opponent was either leading or it was 0-0), and I lost 2 of which one was a disconnection while I was 1-0 up.

This in on pc.

Rikkun

I think I'm starting to get the new defending system.. in H2H I'm still very weak (sometimes I win 4-0, sometimes I lose 4-0) but just because of some EXTRAlucky shots.

And my GK is always missing the ball, I tried playing with smaller teams and I don't really see where the GK abilities are shown (usually my GK is Buffon, and I always feel my rival's is stronger, even if it's ManCity, AMadrid, BVB, Roma)

Champions League Final 2005 all over again.

Playing as Liverpool, I somehow fell 3-0 down to some guy playing as Milan within 20 minutes. Unlike in Istanbul though, I pulled it back to 3-3 before half-time, with Gerrard once again leading the comeback.

Eventually I won 5-3. That guy must be pissed beyond belief.

EDIT: I think I may have set the world record for hitting the woodwork now.

For all of those with UT disconnection problems, the word on the street is that custom tactics are causing the crash.

And by word on the street, I mean the official EA FIFA forums.

And why am I visiting that cesspool of depravity and inhumanity you ask? Because I pre-ordered my game from TRU and they won't be delivering until 10 days from now or something ridiculous like that. So I have to go somewhere to get my fill of UT information =/

Aspiring

Had a game before in which i lost 2-1. Had so much luck against me. One shot off the bar the other hit the bar and bounced down onto the line, and out. I even replayed it after because i swore that it was over the line and sheesh it was bloody line ball. Than went on to win the next match 5-0. Than got smashed 5-0 in the next game. Such bloody good fun.

Anyway one question. With Ultimate team, do you need to buy the packs with real money or can you unlock the packs by playing?

Top Bottom