• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

mxgt

Banned
Aspiring said:
Anyway one question. With Ultimate team, do you need to buy the packs with real money or can you unlock the packs by playing?

You can buy packs with coins earned from playing

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bought the X360 version yesterday, but may or may not trade it in for the PC version in the future if it turns out it'll run well on my pc, despite the horrid framerate in the demo. Search for matches with Manual control and apparently nobody wants to play with manual settings. At least not Head To Head Online Season.

Bumhead

Banned
Question for PC FIFA Gaf.

Does it require Origin? If I buy a boxed retail copy, can I avoid any sort of interaction with Origin at all, or does it still require it for activation/registration or whatever?

I intend on buying BF3 so I'm sure I'll need to use Origin anyway at some point but id rather avoid the service as best I can if possible.

Fredescu

I got my PC copy from Gamersgate, but I'm pretty sure you can't avoid installing Origin. When you run setup.exe, you get this:

VFYyN.jpg

I had to download a 2.4GB patch before I could play, so I guess it uses Origin for patch level consistency. The client seems to be generally nice and responsive.

mxgt

Banned
Yeah I have to run Origin every time I want to play.

Ultimate Team seems to be kinda screwy, I play a match in a Bronze tournament with my team and when it's over it just gives an error, doesn't save my progress and returns to the main menu :|

Bumhead

Banned
Ah, OK. Cheers mate.

To be honest downloading it digitally is the easiest option for me, but if buying boxed avoided Origin I would have done that. No biggie though, I don't dislike Origin enough to refuse buying FIFA and BF3.

PaulLFC

Does anyone have any tips for defending? To be honest, I'm rubbish at it so far. I'm trying to use jockeying as much as possible, but even when letting go of the trigger to attempt to move in and make a tackle, my defenders are so slow that the opposition has what seems like an age to avoid the tackle. I read in a review that the new defending feels rewarding, but right now it just seems like complete luck if I do actually manage to win the ball, and there's no sense of accomplishment.

Wessiej

PaulLFC said:
Does anyone have any tips for defending? To be honest, I'm rubbish at it so far. I'm trying to use jockeying as much as possible, but even when letting go of the trigger to attempt to move in and make a tackle, my defenders are so slow that the opposition has what seems like an age to avoid the tackle. I read in a review that the new defending feels rewarding, but right now it just seems like complete luck if I do actually manage to win the ball, and there's no sense of accomplishment.
What I do is pressing the Right trigger, the left trigger and the A button to contain. They keep up with the player and stay in front of them. When they are going for a sprint I press the X button to step in and capture the ball.

It works for me.

PaulLFC

Wessiej said:
What I do is pressing the Right trigger, the left trigger and the A button to contain. They keep up with the player and stay in front of them. When they are going for a sprint I press the X button to step in and capture the ball.

It works for me.
Thanks, I'll try that. Sticking to offline matches for now after being embarrassed in my first online game with the new defending! Do you let go of jockey and/or contain when you go to make the tackle, or keep them held?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hieberrr said:
PS3 + Custom Chants from the FIFA 11 chants packs found online = GODLY. It makes the game so much better.

WHERE did you download that? All links I found are dead or require a password.

Carbonox

I've been steamrolling career mode so far. Up to the January transfer window and have only lost 2 games. The new defending system is awkward but I've found that using X (PS3) to hustle players in to making mistakes or going back to their goal's direction, then timing interceptions/tackles when they do (or hold R1 to bring in another player which works in a corner), makes things easier than just running around like a twat and hitting O every time, hoping you get one in.

Online's a different matter. :lol I feel like a noob and I've been playing this franchise since the early days.

Facism

Seeing as there's no Turkish league, do they still have some of the players as free agents? People like Volkan Demirel, Miroslav Stoch, Issiar Dia?

aaaaaa said:
What do you guys think of these control complaints from FIFA noob DSP?

http://youtu.be/VP54hWGyBI4?t=17m15s

That guy seems fairly awful at games in general. I watched a bit of another playthrough of his of the Witcher 2 and he seemed fairly terrible and angry there as well.

Putting that aside and addressing his complaints I don't believe what he said is entirely accurate. You don't repeatedly tap the A/X button to maintain pressure, so if you were to win the ball whilst holding the button you wouldn't immediately pass it away. That said it is plausible for one to accidently boot away the ball if you were unaware you'd taken possession but in most circumstances you don't really spam the tackle/shoot button either for fear of giving away a foul or losing valuable ground against the attack.

In any case both his complaints have been entirely non-issues for me.

Keio

For a Finer World
After about 30 games played, I'm finding the default Alternate control scheme better and better. The fact that RB is AI pressure forces you to rely on it much less: the crab-like twist of RT+RB+LT+A+(X) gives you nice physical feedback that you are doing it wrong.

Now I'm mainly using manual LT or A to contain opponents, and X or B to tackle if they try to make a move towards the goal. RB gets used when I mark a player making a run.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No one buying it for 3DS? I would like having some impressions about it :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mpl90 said:

Doesnt have online. The only information I needed to decide.

Lunchbox

Banned
RustyO said:
Just got spanked 5-1 by Stoke City in my first game... I think I need a bit of practice.
get used to it

stoke are the barcelona counter in this, etherington -> crouch over little spanish heads

Toma

Ostinatto said:
PC, PS3 or XBOX??

guide me gaf

PS3 if you want the bigger userbase.
360 if you want the bigger GAF userbase.

Toma said:
PS3 if you want the bigger userbase.
360 if you want the bigger GAF userbase.
Although it should be said that the PC userbase, for now, is fairly sizeable.

Khanage said:
For anyone playing on the PC add me to your friends list, please.
My username is: Path_of_Joe
Will do. Or you can add me first: Jaded_Alyx

Hieberrr

ElyrionX said:
Is there a 360 pack? Any link?
Toma said:
WHERE did you download that? All links I found are dead or require a password.
http://www.filestube.com/fugBtMVBRTjwX69r1auyHx/Ultimate-Pack-Chant-FIFA-11-V2-by-Smile25.html

All of the file names are in French (but it's easy to tell what is what). For the most part, each chant is in one track. You'll run into a couple of clubs that have more than one chant, so you have to create a playlist for that club and then use that for the chants.

I applied this to most of the La Liga, Bundesliga, and EPL teams. I also did it for a couple of national teams.

It makes the game so much more fun. The matches actually sound like matches now. :)

Majukun

aaaaaa said:
What do you guys think of these control complaints from FIFA noob DSP?

http://youtu.be/VP54hWGyBI4?t=17m15s

a non-football fan shouldn't play a fifa game,there are more accessible and arcade football simulation like "pes" for them.

But i understand the rant about the absence of the instructions manual..that makes me mad too,and make this game definitely for fans,because "jump in" on fifa without a proper introduction is very hard,even more if you don't know much about football (but then,it's your fault)

But he can't say he represents the "casual gamer",and fifa is for hardcore fans..there are tons of children who play fifa,and sometimes they are very good,fifa has an enormous and extremely variegated fanbase..but it's not for someone who find the offside rule "fancy"..it's like i'm going to play a basketball simulation,without knowing what a "goal tending" is...

omgkitty

Majukun said:
a non-football fan shouldn't play a fifa game,there are more accessible and arcade football simulation like "pes" for them.

But i understand the rant about the absence of the instructions manual..that makes me mad too,and make this game definitely for fans,because "jump in" on fifa without a proper introduction is very hard,even more if you don't know much about football (but then,it's your fault)

But he can't say he represents the "casual gamer",and fifa is for hardcore fans..there are tons of children who play fifa,and sometimes they are very good,fifa has an enormous and extremely variegated fanbase..but it's not for someone who find the offside rule "fancy"..it's like i'm going to play a basketball simulation,without knowing what a "goal tending" is...

I don't think any of that is necessarily true. While I do believe this years FIFA is more difficult than past iterations, I don't think it means other people shouldn't play it. I started playing FIFA in 05, and I knew nothing about the sport, and it's the reason I am a fan now. If anything, I find PES harder than FIFA. The rules of football aren't really anything too confusing as they are actually fairly simple, and anyone could pick them up after playing a few matches.

Seriously, does anyone else seem to hit the post or bar a RIDICULOUS amount of times? Or do I need to bring Suarez, Bellamy, and Gerrard in for extra shooting practice?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Jaded Alyx said:
Seriously, does anyone else seem to hit the post or bar a RIDICULOUS amount of times? Or do I need to bring Suarez, Bellamy, and Gerrard in for extra shooting practice?

I'm on semi and i hit it one every four shots or so. It's starting to get suspicious.

Sol.. said:
I'm on semi and i hit it one every four shots or so. It's starting to get suspicious.
It's online where it's really noticeable for me. Very annoying when I make SO many clear cut chances only to hit the post with MOST of them.

Then my opponent scores some cheap stupid goal....sigh.

Wessiej

The H2H seasons mode is the best online mode ever made,,...ever.

Just had my first online match, Ajax-Newcastle. It was on of the most awesome matches I had in my Fifa-history. Ended in 2-2 though, hit the bar in the last minute...

Wessiej said:
The H2H seasons mode is the best online mode ever made,,...ever.

Just had my first online match, Ajax-Newcastle. It was on of the most awesome matches I had in my Fifa-history. Ended in 2-2 though, hit the bar in the last minute...
It really is very well done.

I got promoted this morning. I'm afraid I'll get relegated now :(

Dear EA, since when has Bosingwa had "Jose Bosingwa" as his shirt name and Meireles "R. Meireles" as his? How do daft little things like this slip through, and better than that. I can't edit them!

RooMHM

PC GAF : Can you play Ultimate Team? I tried this afternoon and it crashed everytime I started a game (at the line up screen). I went to team management to see that 2 players were positionned in the same slot ... EA seriously, fuck this shit.

depward

Mpl90 said:

I purchased it. Feel completely ripped off; barely 30 FPS (usually below), plays super slowly, lots of slowdown. Gameplay is utter shit. Players have the "Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D zombie from far away low-rez" look to them. So you'll be around 30 fps... then your player will do a move (this is also highly prevalent to goalies when they make saves) and will look SO CHOPPY AND LO-REZ.

The soundtrack is pretty good.

The game is an absolute disgrace.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Sorry if it's been posted, but what's the deal with me playing a match against a friend and when he makes changes to the starting lineup they don't go through? Is it something to do with one of us going 'ready' and the other waiting for the time to run out? It's happened a few times now, always to him, never to me.

Also, do we know the penalty for rage quitting yet?

Menelaus

Banned
We've determined that the "John Redcorn" effect for game faces is a bug on the local xbox. Everyone else will see your pro with the correct skin tone.

Wilbur

Banned
Anyone else having freezing problems? I played a match, froze when I finished. Then loaded up Ultimate Team, spent ages messing around with cards etc., froze as soon as I went into the arena. My brother and I set up an offline tournament, go to play a multiplayer match and it freezes as soon as it gets into the arena.

Wilbury said:
Anyone else having freezing problems? I played a match, froze when I finished. Then loaded up Ultimate Team, spent ages messing around with cards etc., froze as soon as I went into the arena. My brother and I set up an offline tournament, go to play a multiplayer match and it freezes as soon as it gets into the arena.
I was having problems on the 360, specifically with backing out of the Clubs menu to the main menu. I moved my profile to a USB drive and it hasn't frozen since then. That's the same method we used last year to solve the problem.

Top Bottom