• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 13 - PC Community Thread

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
im tempted to play more games mang

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
im just gonna play some drop ins till more come one, hopefully we can get some games today

Mr Cola

think our best chance is when the utd game ends in about an hour or so

iNvid02

we usually get fucked over with counter attacks

we should hang back and let em push forward and counter ourselves

but our defence is usually playing midfield lol

Mr Cola

i think our bad play the other day scared him off, on that note the two guys who joined us yesterday left the club, they didnt like our playstyle :[

Mr Cola

i can be on, not sure how many well get though

Mr Cola

my pro is ranked 134 in the world

Just saying

Im on now if people want to come and get games on

Mr Cola

Invites out, looks like we got 5ish

iNvid02

my best goal, cheers for the pass highfivebro

untitled2waips.gif

Mr Cola

id kill to play some clubs now, damn weekday with no-one online :[

Mr Cola

i can come on in 10 mins, not sure how many we get

Mr Cola

sending out invites to the games mang, lets see who we can scrounge up

Fistwell

Still at the office, wont get online for another cple of hours.
In unrelated news, I've been considering a move to central defense to lend a hand to the team's (and everybody's favorite) midget ginger mascot.
Actually used to play 4 irl. I (sort of) enjoy all the non-rewarding, mind-numbingly repetitive defensive tasks. I also like to tackle people and shit.

Meteorain

Still at the office, wont get online for another cple of hours.
In unrelated news, I've been considering a move to central defense to lend a hand to the team's (and everybody's favorite) midget ginger mascot.
Actually used to play 4 irl. I (sort of) enjoy all the non-rewarding, mind-numbingly repetitive defensive tasks. I also like to tackle people and shit.

I still think our biggest problem is the hatred for passing backwards, not the actual defence.

We tend to all move up because we don't pass back to try and create space and then we try and get a shot off whilst they crowd us. Which in turn gets the ball lobbed all the way behind most of our players to concede to a dumb counter attack :(

Fistwell

I still think our biggest problem is the hatred for passing backwards, not the actual defence.
Absolutely. It is also the case in 110% of public games. We barely ever look for support backfield when no good solution is available upwards. I think it's natural (we wants to score them goals mang). I also think (hope?) we'll grow out of it? I'm doing it myself, throwing ill-advised lobbed through-balls more often than I should. I'm trying to value possession a little bit more. It's always a trade-off between risk-taking and possession. Right now our balance is shit out of whack (but so is most teams').

Edit: Also, we have E. Jollow on our team, so what the fuck did you expect??!

Edit2: Another issue is midfield placement, which you hinted at as well. MFs tend to be more present in attack than defense. I've consciously tried to help the defense. Playing side MF in 3-4-3, I often end up playing almost as a full back on my side. Unfortunately, I end up running back and forth a lot, burning stamina, pulling muscles, etc.

Biggest issue is quiche though, obviously.

Mr Cola

miss promotion by one point because of a game where we had 20 clear chances, man that was so close

Mr Cola

Im gonna do another op update tomorrow, Highfive gonna be well up there in scorers after today :O

Ill also be on in about a half hour till late for da games mang, we played so well today :O

Mr Cola

games on no wmang!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Cola

PROMOTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gimme some of that div6

qindarka

Banned
Absolutely. It is also the case in 110% of public games. We barely ever look for support backfield when no good solution is available upwards. I think it's natural (we wants to score them goals mang). I also think (hope?) we'll grow out of it? I'm doing it myself, throwing ill-advised lobbed through-balls more often than I should. I'm trying to value possession a little bit more. It's always a trade-off between risk-taking and possession. Right now our balance is shit out of whack (but so is most teams').

Edit: Also, we have E. Jollow on our team, so what the fuck did you expect??!

Edit2: Another issue is midfield placement, which you hinted at as well. MFs tend to be more present in attack than defense. I've consciously tried to help the defense. Playing side MF in 3-4-3, I often end up playing almost as a full back on my side. Unfortunately, I end up running back and forth a lot, burning stamina, pulling muscles, etc.

Biggest issue is quiche though, obviously.

I blame FIFA for constantly designating the wide men in a 3 man defence as wide midfielder, giving the impression that they perform the same roles as actual wide midfielders or wingers in a standard 4 man formation. In a 3 man defence, the wide men are wingbacks who are more of advanced fullbacks rather than wingers, and so must perform much of the defensive work normally performed by fullbacks, though being given more license to bomb forward as well. This isn't helped by the fact that relatively few teams, especially in the Premier League, use 3 man defences, Wigan being the exception.

And yeah, I think our central midfielders, especially in our kamikaze 3-4-3 need to stay back a lot more, both to provide an attacking outlet by being able to pass backwards and to provide defensive cover. When I play though, my problem is that I stay too far back, often positioning myself back to the CBs and letting our midfield get overrun. Also doesn't help that my tackling is dogshit.

I think part of this comes down to lag when playing online which makes it a bit harder to mantain posession and so we favor taking shots on or pumping the ball forward quickly. We tend to bypass our central midfield completely, immediately distributing the ball to our wide men.

Fistwell

Man, defense is tricky. It's difficult to find the right balance between containing, pressing, covering, lining up for offsides, etc.

It's easy to fuck up too. As in, mash A to get header, miss header, teammate gets the ball, tries to pass it to me in a terrible position cause I've queued up a dozen A presses, opponent easily intercepts, scores. OUPS!

The one on one duels are pretty thrilling though (well the ones that are won anyways).

And yeah, I think our central midfielders, especially in our kamikaze 3-4-3 need to stay back a lot more, both to provide an attacking outlet by being able to pass backwards and to provide defensive cover. When I play though, my problem is that I stay too far back, often positioning myself back to the CBs and letting our midfield get overrun. Also doesn't help that my tackling is dogshit.

With 3-4-3 we really need the wingers to come back, cause going out to get the opponents wingers is just suicide for a CB as it leaves so much space.

Top Bottom