• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 14 (360/PS3/PC) |OT| ITS NOT A RESKIN DAMNIT

How balanced in 1v1 online in 14? Does one player still host the session (and get all the touch, speed, response and AI advantages) as in FIFA 13? I just came off a session of 13 and my players were brain-dead zombies wading through treacle whereas my opponent had turbo-charged psychics with lightning reflexes and unbelievable close control. It's incredibly unbalanced. No wonder so many people quit - you often feel you are fighting the game as well as your opponent.

Will PS4 or Xbone have dedicated servers for FIFA 14?

never had these kind of problems personally and I played a lot of multiplayer with fifa 12 and 13 (only full manual seasons). I had other problems (too many disconnections)

Mascot

never had these kind of problems personally and I played a lot of multiplayer with fifa 12 and 13 (only full manual seasons). I had other problems (too many disconnections)

Some people suffer from this inbalance whereas others seem oblivious to it. There has even been whole threads on the official FIFA forums about it. But it definitely exists.

I'd say I'm on the shitty end of the connection around 80% of the time, with everything gimped as a result: player speed, controller responsiveness, shooting ability (many shots ballooned over the bar, for example), tackling ability (opponent just walks through my players), teammate intelligence, goalkeeping skills (spills all shots, however soft), player positioning (defenders go AWOL) etc etc. This is where FIFA gets rage-quittingly frustrating, especially when it's obvious that your opponent isn't suffering ANY of these problems as he skill-moves his way around the pitch, scoring at will like a superhero.

On the rare (yet wonderful) occasion when it's obvious that I'm getting the connection (host) advantages, it seems to last for however long I keep the play session open. When this happens I'm ridiculously advantaged compared to my opponent, so I play using half-star teams (typically York City) and will easily beat all-comers playing as Bayern, Real, Barca, Chelsea, Brazil, whoever they choose. It doesn't matter - my half-star team of 50-rated players will win by several goals every single time.

As I said before, my connection is decent. 40meg fibre with a ~15ms ping. The only theory I've got is that the game analyses the two connections between opposing players and tries to balance them by gimping the better connection, but their algorithms are possibly faulty. Whatever the problem is it's been this way for many years, so I can only assume that FIFA recycles the same (buggy) net code year after year.

It's a source of incredible frustration.

beastworship

Neo Member
What a disappointment this years FIFA has been for me. I purchased the last two iterations solely for 11 vs 11 Online Team Play, but with zero official notice EA decided to strip that perfectly functional mode from rotation. FIFA has become much more focused on Ultimate Team courtesy of youtubers and the cash for opening virtual packs of cards but now EA's gone all in on milking that money while turning their backs on people that pay the $60.00 for team play solely, you know, the mode that allows humans to play a team sport with human teammates. Very shameful stuff from EA, they remove online passes and spit this back in the face of many fans. EA will always be the lightning rod for video game malfeasance.

Mascot

Jesus, what a horrible, horrible experience Fifa 14 is to play. I've been on ocean liners that have tighter turning circles then these players. What a load of frustrating rubbish.
Edit:
Too many offsides
Too many rainy matches
Offline matches seem to stutter and lag like online matches
Controls feel unresponsive
Menus are badly designed
Graphics seem worse than 13
Commentary is almost all recycled
Bullshit like last-minute equalisers, keeps palming weak shots onto the boots of opponent strikers, momentum, stat gimping... all present and correct.

I'm not sure who I hate more: EA for churning this lazy re-hash out or me for buying it.

Edit 2: forgot to mention: I STILL NEED TO SELECT 'ENGLISH' EVERY TIME I START THE GAME! MOTHER OF GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS STILL IN THERE.

bigol

What a disappointment this years FIFA has been for me. I purchased the last two iterations solely for 11 vs 11 Online Team Play, but with zero official notice EA decided to strip that perfectly functional mode from rotation. FIFA has become much more focused on Ultimate Team courtesy of youtubers and the cash for opening virtual packs of cards but now EA's gone all in on milking that money while turning their backs on people that pay the $60.00 for team play solely, you know, the mode that allows humans to play a team sport with human teammates. Very shameful stuff from EA, they remove online passes and spit this back in the face of many fans. EA will always be the lightning rod for video game malfeasance.

All this happens while Pes introduces 11vs11 (11 humans vs 11 humans,11vsCPU too) for the first time ever
Good move, EA

Reckoner

Jesus, what a horrible, horrible experience Fifa 14 is to play. I've been on ocean liners that have tighter turning circles then these players. What a load of frustrating rubbish.
Edit:
Too many offsides
Too many rainy matches
Menus are badly designed
Bullshit like last-minute equalisers, keeps palming weak shots onto the boots of opponent strikers, momentum, stat gimping... all present and correct.

I'm not sure who I hate more: EA for churning this lazy re-hash out or me for buying it.

Edit 2: forgot to mention: I STILL NEED TO SELECT 'ENGLISH' EVERY TIME I START THE GAME! MOTHER OF GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS STILL IN THERE.

This. Also, I lost a gold UT semifinal tournament because the game froze and I had to turn off the console. I'm getting tired of this. I heard that an update is coming. I'll try it, if it doesn't fix all these problems, I'm trading in my copy.

This is fucking unbelievable, but to be fair to EA, why the hell should they even bother trying? They KNOW they can get away with releasing largely the same game as last year with some minor buzz-word christened "improvements" and Joe Public will trip over himself to throw money at it on an annual basis. You have to admire their ruthless business sense. I bet they fucking laugh their asses off at consumers during their AGM.

It's because of the licenses. This year Andrew Durante is an All White, not dreaming of being a Socceroo. If that shit didn't matter to me and others, PES would be doing gangbusters.

Played a bit more tonight. The menus are inexcusable but if you can take the time with the sliders, career mode is actually better. I'm not scoring 11-nil every game now and I feel like I'm earning my wins. I just turned down the sprint speed (on both sides) because that was horseshit.

I don't play FIFA online, ever, so can't comment if that helps there.

Also, it's ridiculous -- almost offensive -- that I get two bronze trophies just for booting up FUT.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I think it's much improved over 13.

All the moans about gameplay on this page are just adjustment changes.

11v11 is still in there as drop in matches isn't it?

The game forces you to grow and be better than last time. Defenders are better and more organised so you have to watch your runs and passes, work the ball until you see the chances. Games feel like more of a midfield battle.

We have to use the dribbling speeds better and more often than before. I never used to use LB but now I have to otherwise my guy won't turn quick enough and so on.

If I wanna beat people I have to be more physical or skilful, pure pace is a lot riskier to do.

All good changes IMO.

confuziz

Banned
Edit:
Too many offsides
Too many rainy matches
Menus are badly designed

I agree with all of this. Unresponsive mess. Players feel like I'm driving a gigantic truck and the players never do what I want them to do (unlike in fifa 13)

Mascot

I think half of the problem is EA making gameplay changes just for the sake of it to justify a full-price release. 14 just feels sluggish now as a result. I'd have been much happier with a kit/roster download update for £10. A lot of the presentation is almost identical to 13 anyway (except the graphics, which look worse).

confuziz

Banned
I think half of the problem is EA making gameplay changes just for the sake of it to justify a full-price release. 14 just feels sluggish now as a result. I'd have been much happier with a kit/roster download update for £10. A lot of the presentation is almost identical to 13 anyway (except the graphics, which look worse).

Exactly. EA does what EA want basically, people will eat it up regardless of the quality.

'Hey look, we made our players go slower, how realistic is this???!!'

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Exactly. EA does what EA want basically, people will eat it up regardless of the quality.

'Hey look, we made our players go slower, how realistic is this???!!'

They've added more realistic balance/momentum so yeah...

You now have to think about how you shift your body, good balance and how you use it to advantage is probably the main difference between the top players. You can't just sprint and turn on a dime, you can't repeatedly do 180s where you drag the ball back and forth super fast. If you picture a player doing the things you want to do, it's largely a combination of the different dribble speeds and different ways of shifting the ball and you have to start using them if you want to emulate it.

And to go with the steeper learning curve there's also more potential at your fingertips. Once you master the different balance/momentum you are more capable of things that you couldn't do before.

The game is more physical and I'm personally enjoying both the physical nature of battles but also being more deliberate and focused on my players physicality.

iFootball

They've added more realistic balance/momentum so yeah...
The game is more physical and I'm personally enjoying both the physical nature of battles but also being more deliberate and focused on my players physicality.
After playing with my friends PS3 copy I've found that these changes fit my FIFA playing pace perfectly.... I've always been more patient and a build-up player in FIFA, so just with the demo and this first impression I'm very happy with what I'm seeing :)

... Only ~40 days to FIFA on PS4!

AlexBasch

I...think I was abusing those headers in Career Mode, haha. I transferred from my hometown team to West Ham United and I'm at the second season with the Hammers, we're near to secure a UCL spot.

Thing is, my VP is a RM and as such, it's a playmaker with short passing and crossing; Andy Carroll being my target man.

The guy is ridiculously tall and has devastating headers that I just needed a clear shot at him to get safe goals.

Here's the interesting thing about FIFA, the board sold Carroll to Bayern Munich (lol) and now I have a 34-year-old striker (Petric) that is nowhere as tall or efficient with headers as Andy, so I suffered to adapt to a header-less striker and adopt a more quick, short passing strategy.

It was bad, we lost in the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup, got destroyed by goddamned QPR and the thing wasn't working, but the midfielders aren't blocking the defenders to get a clear spot for Andy anymore, they're helping with passing and do one touch plays now.

As much shit FIFA gets, it's a curious thing how the game...seemingly adapts to the skills of the players, even Kevin Nolan plays more often, since he has a privileged one-two touch that wasn't needed before.

TL;DR I'm a Manchester United supporter who is becoming warmer to West Ham. <3

I've always been more patient and a build-up player in FIFA
You sound like my brother. He's some sort of bizarre and disgusting mix of Catenaccio with Mourinho.

I'm wondering when they will start releasing more news about next gen versions. There's been like 1 trailer etc., but I want to start seeing more information about how it's different or better than current gen. It's been like 2 weeks since release now, hasn't it? Surely it's time...

Mascot

Got this game Friday, selling it today. I think that's the shortest I've ever owned a videogame.

Apart from hating the (very few) changes they made to the gameplay, I'm utterly fed up with how often the menus crash.

How different is the full version from the demo?

A load of friends have picked it up and I'm getting tempted but a lot of critical comments in this thread.

03sho

Anyone know when we can expect the patch for PS3?

Stopped playing UT because of too many people abusing the lob through ball and people crossing the ball in for an easy header on goal.

Bobnob

Fifa 13 Scripted mess always felt like the game was beating me rather than my real online opponent 355 wins v 352 losses.

Fifa 14 Scripted in just the same way but they have made it more subtle. Good job EA you AHOLES.

Wait wut? You guys aren't coming to Xbone? I missed the memo!!
I don't think we'll have too many holdovers on Xbone, but maybe we can have a straw poll in our thread in community to see who's going to stick with it. Sounded like most people were going PS4 last time I talked to them.

Eanan

How would you describe seasons?

Madrid.

Madrid everywhere.

Thats why I never play with above 4 star teams.

Had a few games with 5 star teams... ALL opponents were madrid and all did the same thing; lobbed through balls to bale on the wing, cut inside and chipped crosses to ronny all day. Also 100% pressure in defence so crazy hard to get passed the defence.

ZQQLANDER

Got some questions for you knowledgeable football fans.

Been doing some research about my family history and I found that my grandfather's side of the family is from Sistig, Germany as well as Trier.

As far as I can tell, Sistig doesn't have a football team, but Trier has the "The Blues" which are in the 4th trier.

What is the closest Bundesliga team to Trier and/or Sistig? Would it be Bayer Leverkusen?

I know its kind of an odd question, just figured I would post it and see if anyone knew something.

Ah, fuck this game. The menus make career mode utterly unpalatable. It's digital, so I'll keep it for some casual fun on match day mornings, but otherwise I'm giving up on it. Going to cancel my PS4 order because there's no upgrade plan and fuck rewarding EA twice for this tripe.

SumGamer

Ah, fuck this game. The menus make career mode utterly unpalatable. It's digital, so I'll keep it for some casual fun on match day mornings, but otherwise I'm giving up on it. Going to cancel my PS4 order because there's no upgrade plan and fuck rewarding EA twice for this tripe.

What? I thought we can upgrade FIFA for PS4 for $10. Was I dreaming?

What? I thought we can upgrade FIFA for PS4 for $10. Was I dreaming?

GameStop and GAME are doing guaranteed trade-in values, but that's only for physical copies. Plus I live in New Zealand so I'm sweet out of luck anyway.

I might be getting an Xbox One, though, and I think you still get it for free.

Wow, I did not realize that the PC version does not get the "next gen" Ignite engine. What a fucking joke. Soooooo glad I did not impulse buy this on PC. Guess I'll just keep playing FIFA 12 for now.

Fantasmo

hey peeps,

totally new to Fifa, never played any of the other ones, and it looks like I jumped on the PC version at the wrong time (this one is a reskin right?) :(

Anyway, it is what it is. Can anyone offer some tips to a total total beginner noob like myself? Which modes do I want to do, which team do I want to use? What strategies are good? Which camera mode do I want to play in, etc? I don't even know the buttons too well haha. I'm using a 360 controller in case that matters.

Mascot

Really hate this game. Ended up selling it. Back to fifa13

Me too. Glad i kept my old Fifa 13. It's a lot more fun.

14 was just bloody annoying. No flow at all to the matches, always stop-start. And how can it look WORSE than last years version?

ZQQLANDER

hey peeps,

totally new to Fifa, never played any of the other ones, and it looks like I jumped on the PC version at the wrong time (this one is a reskin right?) :(

Anyway, it is what it is. Can anyone offer some tips to a total total beginner noob like myself? Which modes do I want to do, which team do I want to use? What strategies are good? Which camera mode do I want to play in, etc? I don't even know the buttons too well haha. I'm using a 360 controller in case that matters.

I'm pretty much in the same situation as this is my first Fifa game. I found that the skill games really help to hone knowledge of the different types of offensive and defensive moves. As far as which mode to play, I would recommend seasons (I'm really liking FUT). Each season gradually gets more difficult and it won't increase in difficultly unless you get a promotion to the next division.

Edit: I also rarely play online. Most of the players are much better than me. Combined with some latency issues, this can be frustrating. I'll probably starting diving into that when I can consistently beat "Professional" AI.

hey peeps,

As a beginner, I wouldn't jump straight into online seasons. I imagine it'd be quite frustrating as most FIFA players know what they're doing by this point.

Start off in Manager Mode. I'm not sure what the actual name for it is these days - maybe Career? But it's an entirely offline mode where you take one team through a season and try to win the league/gain promotion.

Tactics - probably best to start with the classic 4-4-2 and get used to the defending. When you're a bit more confident, it's a bit unorthodox, but I recommend the formation called 3-5-2, which in FIFA's case is actually a 3-4-1-2. Gives you 3 solid CBs and a significant attacking threat, while still allowing proper wingers who can also be used as defensive wing-backs if they're fast/fit enough.

At the start of each match, I crank it up to Attacking (right on the d-pad) and also set 'High Pressure' and 'Team Pressing' (up-down, down-left on d-pad). This uses up more energy from your players but I find it really helps in getting possession back. Also make good use of the RB button. When trying to win the ball back in the centre of the pitch, you should use your controlled player to block off the opponent's path/passing options by holding LT, and then use RB to call in another player to make the tackle for you. I only make my own tackles on the wing or in the penalty area.

As for which team - I guess most people just use the team they support. I'm using Preston North End in the English League One. They're a big fish in a small pond, so to speak. Their team - at least on FIFA - is possibly the best in that division - 3 of the best strikers and a winger with 93 sprint speed - so they may feel a bit overpowered but it could be a good way to ease yourself in. Other League One teams aren't exactly great either, so they won't punish you as often as a Premier League team if you make a mistake. It's also a slower pace of football, so more time to get your head around the basics and get comfortable with the controls. Maybe try it out?

When you ARE comfortable, I really, really, truly, 100% urge you to try out Manual controls. It makes the game infinitely more enjoyable, realistic and rewarding. Very tricky at first, but I'd never go back. Luckily you're using a 360 pad; from my experience, the PS3 pad just isn't accurate enough for Manual.

Hope this helped a little!

EDIT: If you choose to use Preston, here's the lineup I use:

GK: D. Rudd

LCB: P. Huntington
CB: B. Wright
RCB: T Clarke

LM: S. Laird
LCM: J. Byrom
RCM: J. Welsh
RM: C. Humphrey

CAM: I. Hume
LS: K. Davies
RS: S. Beavon

Preston have a good squad with a lot of good CMs, so switch it up regularly - N. Wroe, J. Mousinho and K. Keane are all more than worthy of first team. L. Holmes is also very good cover for S. Laird at LM and is also a more attacking option.

gamma

Okay, is I played a few matches again after waiting a week for the patch.

I'm selling this game ASAP. Seriously, don't do this to yourself guys. The game is worse than drugs.

Top Bottom