• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 14 (360/PS3/PC) |OT| ITS NOT A RESKIN DAMNIT

Ok, somebody pleasee tell how to defend a fucking corner. or a set piece for that matter. I've lost too many matches at the last minute because my defenders just simply decided not to jump :(

Into

Also the menus in career mode are diabolical on my mates ps3 it takes a good few seconds to register a button press making team selection a nightmare

The menus have somehow gotten even slower this year, which i did not think was even possible

You wouldnt think menu speed would really impact a game so badly, but i just have no motivation to play it. A sense of dread always dawns on you any time you are fuddling around with the menu in this game, it looks nice but the speed and delay of it all is just back breaking.

madmackem

Ok, somebody pleasee tell how to defend a fucking corner. or a set piece for that matter. I've lost too many matches at the last minute because my defenders just simply decided not to jump :(

Sometimes you just cant, its the way its been on this engine for years now, it almost feels cheap by the computer tbh.

Rashid

Banned
I have it, but it's so samey. Menus are still slow AF but slightly better then last year. Played 2 games and drew both of them, mostly because any pass to a forward that isn't Messi or Ronaldo or anyone else with insane ball control can't control it and the defenders get the ball. Ugh.

If anyone wants to play me, then add me on ps3. subzer0_afc.

Mascot

Both impressed and not impressed so far

The gameplay tweaks are good enough and make for a good game I just hope the commentary gets a complete overhaul next time around

Career mode I'm not sure about the new scouting player system is a bit odd and I don't like that you can't just look at the transfer market and see how good people are

Also the menus in career mode are diabolical on my mates ps3 it takes a good few seconds to register a button press making team selection a nightmare

Nothing I'm hearing about FIFA 14 is giving me any incentive to give EA my annual £40.

I think I've finally realised that they do minimal work on the game year after year. This one sounds like another lazy cash-cow.

This is a great game to play in the same room with friends, but the online is broken, mainly because of a poor community who are happy to lag cheat and exploit anything they can to get the upper hand, that's no different to other years, but the changes to momentum and ball physics mean playing with a laggy connection is near impossible.

Mascot

This is a great game to play in the same room with friends, but the online is broken, mainly because of a poor community who are happy to lag cheat and exploit anything they can to get the upper hand, that's no different to other years, but the changes to momentum and ball physics mean playing with a laggy connection is near impossible.

I'm on 40meg fibre and FIFA is always laggy online. If ever a game needed dedis, it's FIFA.

Xanadu

Banned
i havent played a football game in years and after watching giant bombs quick look for some reason i want to jump in again, i dont really want to spend 40 quid on the new one so are any of the recent ones nearly as good? i'm guessing 13 is the next best one but are there any real stand outs in the series? thanks

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My god what have they done to the gameplay. I can't do shit in matches with this game. I admit I'm not amazing like some but i know how to handle myself on World Class in previous games and on Legendary in UT.

Defenders are way too quick at chasing me down when I'm full sprinting with fast players like Ronaldo or Bale.

The computer for every team acts like bloody Barcelona with passing. I played as Barcelona against Celtic on Professional and at the end it was 0-0 but with a possession % to Celtic of 75%.

I know how to play the game but christ I couldn't even get the ball from them to actually attack. The times I did get the ball with Neymar or Messi BAM I was dragged back by some shitty defender and the ball taken from me.

Also another thing is fouls. The most minor foul I do the ref gives a card or a free-kick to the other team but when it happens to me nothing. I've played over 30 games and not had one free-kick given yet or a play on.

I also feel that the A.I for my team is completely retarded in terms of pushing forward. When the ball is loose my players never seem to run for it to push forward but just run back into position and let the opponents get it.

Gah had it with this shitty upgrade already I'm going back to 13.

Mascot

i havent played a football game in years and after watching giant bombs quick look for some reason i want to jump in again, i dont really want to spend 40 quid on the new one so are any of the recent ones nearly as good? i'm guessing 13 is the next best one but are there any real stand outs in the series? thanks

Yeah, your best bet is 13. Cheap second hand right now - everyone's trading theirs in for 14. People just love throwing their money at EA.

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah, your best bet is 13. Cheap second hand right now - everyone's trading theirs in for 14. People just love throwing their money at EA.

thanks, hopefully the PC version is alright, i just read up on the whole BS about using the old engine on the PC version of 14, will definitely not be buying that lol

My god what have they done to the gameplay. I can't do shit in matches with this game. I admit I'm not amazing like some but i know how to handle myself on World Class in previous games and on Legendary in UT.

Defenders are way too quick at chasing me down when I'm full sprinting with fast players like Ronaldo or Bale.

The computer for every team acts like bloody Barcelona with passing. I played as Barcelona against Celtic on Professional and at the end it was 0-0 but with a possession % to Celtic of 75%.

I know how to play the game but christ I couldn't even get the ball from them to actually attack. The times I did get the ball with Neymar or Messi BAM I was dragged back by some shitty defender and the ball taken from me.

Also another thing is fouls. The most minor foul I do the ref gives a card or a free-kick to the other team but when it happens to me nothing. I've played over 30 games and not had one free-kick given yet or a play on.

I also feel that the A.I for my team is completely retarded in terms of pushing forward. When the ball is loose my players never seem to run for it to push forward but just run back into position and let the opponents get it.

This is weird. I'm getting fouled more often than in 13, albeit still not frequently enough. I've had two penalties already.

I'm also finding it WAY easier to put my players through on goal and create fluid, varied attacking play; there's just no comparison in that department

I sold 13 after a couple of months so I don't have a recent frame of reference; perhaps what benefits my play is hindering yours. Use of L2 to shield the ball is incredibly important when in possession; I struggled to get over 40% last year, but it's close or I lead this time.

The menus are utterly unacceptable though...just horrendous, and the irritating d-pad over sensitivity that causes quick tactics to select themselves at times is back. No other game does the d-pad spaz-out, just FIFA.

The menus have somehow gotten even slower this year, which i did not think was even possible

You wouldnt think menu speed would really impact a game so badly, but i just have no motivation to play it. A sense of dread always dawns on you any time you are fuddling around with the menu in this game, it looks nice but the speed and delay of it all is just back breaking.

The thing is we only play once a week when three of he get together and work on our career, we have started with Wycombe this time and part of the fun is taking a team of unknowns and picking out the best players and working out a good team, looking through the squad is torture now and damaging our fun with it

I feel you man. I really just wanna stick to 13 but i know most of my friends will eventually move to 14 so I'll have to keep playing it so i don't lose the feel of it.

Also, that cheap R1 "finesse" shot is back. Its waaayy to easy to score from any of the corners outside of the penalty box. Even when you think you don't have an angle for clear shot.

Gibbo

I spent more than 100 hours on Fifa 13- and I am not feeling Fifa 14 at all. I understand why they tweaked the player momentum / intertia - but it was quite poorly implemented imo. I feel as though I'm fighting with the controls most of the time , with players controlling like the Spaceship in Space Miner

Have they given a general idea for when they will reveal the first gameplay footage of the new engine/PS4/One versions of the game? Going to wait on that and maybe grab PES when it comes to steam if it does so before November.

Eanan

Jesus christ how OP is that AI pressure thing. They always make perfect tackles to nick the ball of you. Every game now consists of people using high pressure tactic, sitting back defensively, and holding down the AI pressure Button (B when not in possession I think). Its really starting to grate on me, as you never get a chance outside an opponents box anymore, its just a flood of defenders running at you and they nearly always make perfect tackles.

Hixx

Jesus christ how OP is that AI pressure thing. They always make perfect tackles to nick the ball of you. Every game now consists of people using high pressure tactic, sitting back defensively, and holding down the AI pressure Button (B when not in possession I think). Its really starting to grate on me, as you never get a chance outside an opponents box anymore, its just a flood of defenders running at you and they nearly always make perfect tackles.

Yes, AI defending is way too good. It's sad that in pro clubs, the easiest way to play is having the AI take control of the defence. So if you have 5 players, you are better off not playing with an ANY. It's stupid.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
PC players: If you use a NVIDIA GPU, we just implemented a Ambient Occlusion profile for FIFA 14 today: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-331-40-beta-drivers-released

If you're not familiar with AO, it basically makes your game look better by adding realistic shadowing where objects meet and occlude light. For example, next to the base of a billboard and the ground. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

To enable, download and install the drivers linked above, open your NVIDIA Control Panel, and set up the FIFA 14 profile as shown below:

fifa14hbaol7sip.png

Eanan

Really not liking online on this. Anyone else find that online games are resorting to everyone running around like headless chickens pressuring each other into tackles and the pace of the game to be ridiculously fast?

Ive tried the possession game, but in both games, when I got in their half, I had a flurry of players bombing towards me and cleanly tackling me with ease? Also the way defenders always keep up with fast forwards is a bit annoying this year. It has caused the game to resort into a crossing match and the game cheap goals being scored in the mess of tackles due to all the the pressure being applied. Went back to the slow pace of PES 14 and it was like a breath of fresh air. And I liked fifa 13...

CR-18

Neo Member
Anyone knows if you are gonna be able to transfer your fut team from the xbox 360 version to the xbox one version?

Anyone knows if you are gonna be able to transfer your fut team from the xbox 360 version to the xbox one version?

From EA's website. "And remember, you can start your season on FIFA 14 on your current console, and then you can bring it with you to your next gen console. Your FIFA Ultimate Team travel with you…so does your FIFA Seasons progress, including trophy case and leaderboards; your Online Virtual Pro and accomplishments; your EA SPORTS Level and XP…so no time is wasted and no accomplishment goes unrecognized."

http://www.easports.com/fifa/news-updates-gameplay/article/fifa-14-next-gen-upgrade-offer

Mascot

Yes.

Same with the menu's and consequent bugs they bring ... After five fucking years ...

This is fucking unbelievable, but to be fair to EA, why the hell should they even bother trying? They KNOW they can get away with releasing largely the same game as last year with some minor buzz-word christened "improvements" and Joe Public will trip over himself to throw money at it on an annual basis. You have to admire their ruthless business sense. I bet they fucking laugh their asses off at consumers during their AGM.

iFootball

Awesome! thx for pointing this video out!

I like how they mention that the PS4 version is not very different from the PS3 version control and gameplay wise (though many who have played it mention how better it feels somehow), as I believe that is good news when moving on to a Next-Gen ... and on top of that you throw extra animations (10x according to EA's PR) and 1080p (plus it looks much more 'fluid' than PS3, so I'm guessing better framerate too).... I'm sold!

... "only" a month a half to go...

Mascot

How balanced in 1v1 online in 14? Does one player still host the session (and get all the touch, speed, response and AI advantages) as in FIFA 13? I just came off a session of 13 and my players were brain-dead zombies wading through treacle whereas my opponent had turbo-charged psychics with lightning reflexes and unbelievable close control. It's incredibly unbalanced. No wonder so many people quit - you often feel you are fighting the game as well as your opponent.

Will PS4 or Xbone have dedicated servers for FIFA 14?

Daffy Duck

How balanced in 1v1 online in 14? Does one player still host the session (and get all the touch, speed, response and AI advantages) as in FIFA 13? I just came off a session of 13 and my players were brain-dead zombies wading through treacle whereas my opponent had turbo-charged psychics with lightning reflexes and unbelievable close control. It's incredibly unbalanced. No wonder so many people quit - you often feel you are fighting the game as well as your opponent.

Will PS4 or Xbone have dedicated servers for FIFA 14?

This has been an issue for me since 11 and the main reason I sold up and have not gone back.

It was obvious when you were fighting the game and an opponent.

My final moment was when hey had a throw in, I went to tackle him yet my defence just moved out the way allowing him straight through on goal, I mean WTF is that about? I completed the game, then sold it the next day. You should not have something like that in online.

gamma

Yep. If you're thinking about buying this game, don't. It's utter garbage. Believe me when I say you will regret it. Literally nothing has made me rage harder than Fifa. I'll wait for a patch or two but then I'll sell this shit as fast as I can.

It's a damn shame they have this monopoly on football licenses.

Eanan

Anyone else find that everyone seems to be able to make consistently perfect sliding tackles this year, regardless of what player they are controlling.

Anyone know why this is?

iFootball

Yep. If you're thinking about buying this game, don't. It's utter garbage. Believe me when I say you will regret it. Literally nothing has made me rage harder than Fifa. I'll wait for a patch or two but then I'll sell this shit as fast as I can.

It's a damn shame they have this monopoly on football licenses.

oh ok, If you say so.... pre-order cancelled =\

sestrugen

They said the game is less pacey now and that control style of play is better yet when you try to play like that you get overrun by a train of pacey players who do nothing but harass you and steal the ball even if their defensive rating is low.

I am about to trade the game in, it's just not fun.

The PC version is so much better than the PS3 and 360 versions - 1080p unlocked framerate, 4xMSAA and it's beautiful to play, controls better too, you can tell the 360 and PS3 are struggling to run it after playing on PC.

zou

Holy shit, the controls are utter garbage. Playing online, it feels like I'm trying to control a semi. It's near impossible to time a stop, stop/turn or simple turn, the players will just keep going. Playing offline is a bit more responsive, but I'm still pretty much battling the controls.

Oh and yeah the menus are a fucking joke. It's not even that they are slow per se, it's mainly the useless animations they added that render the menu unusable. Got the game free with a new xbox, and that's about what it's worth...

It's one thing i'll never understand, but even playing local multiplayer the menu for team management is laggy as hell, it's almost like it cant handle input from both controllers simultaneously, however if you disconnect from XBL/PSN and subsequently the EA Servers, then it all becomes a lot more snappy.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yes.

Same with the menu's and consequent bugs they bring ... After five fucking years ...

What? The commentary is not 100% recycled there are lots of new lines. They mention managerial changes that happened this summer and in career mode they reference previous scorelines and matches from your save, as well as form. The commentary has a lot of new dialogue and that will be clear to anybody who played lots of career mode in 13. The new stuff stands out straight away.

I think the game is quite good and the slower pace is much better than 13. You will not win a match if you can't time your interceptions and pressure the opponent, which is how it should be. You have to be more patient.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Thought this OT would have been more active going by how big FIFA is.

Does anyone know how UT ratings are calculated? I've done my squad and every player is over 80+ yet on the ratings for midfield its 78? Surely it should be at 81 by adding them together then dividing by the amount of them?

I'm not too bothered but it just looks silly when playing against people that it looks like I have a poor midfield when I don't.

http://www.futhead.com/14/squads/842813/

Numbers look correct on the FUTHead.

Mascot

Fucking hell, I am part of the problem.

Everything I've heard about Fifa 14 has put me right off it. The commentary sounds largely recycled, host advantage is still firmly in place, the same cheap exploits are intact, the menus sound as laggy as ever, the online experience still sounds like a rage-induced heart attack waiting to happen, it's a fucking lazy reskin carefully designed to suck food out of our children's stomachs... yet against all instinct and intelligent thought I've just bought a fucking copy of it online.

I deserve everything that's coming to me.

Top Bottom