• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 14 (360/PS3/PC) |OT| ITS NOT A RESKIN DAMNIT

BlindRage

Anybody able to play seasons for ultimate team on x1? I try to play single player and the online and both tell me they are unavailable.. Just wish I could get this 100 pt achievement.

Rikkun

So, the game is gonna be 35€ on the PSN for the weekend (PS3 only)... Can you play with a third party wired controller? Did the patch fix something? I tried the demo but it didn't click, I bought PES and sold it after the patch release.. but another whole year without virtual football would be :(

So I have been playing seasons on the PS4 and people are quitting late in the game from the 40th minute all the way upto the 80th minute but it's not counting as a win for me and the only time I quit a game because of lag in the 1st minute it counted as a loss for me.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Dartastic

God, I feel like I fucking suck at this game. I feel like I'm CONSTANTLY offsides, and I can't seem to build up plays well. Any advice for someone who hasn't played Fifa in a while? I NEED TO SCORE GOAAAAALSSSSS

John_B

I haven't really played FIFA since 11/12. This year's edition on PS4 feels pretty good. Greatly improved menu interface, and lots of meaty features. It's a solid product from EA.

Are online matches played at fast speed setting? Do you guys generally play at fast speed setting?

Any effective way to grind xp/levels besides highlighted games?

Vizzeh

Banned
Agh, really enjoy Fifa, but anyone know WTF is going on with the Game squads not matching during Online matches, specifically seasons., they really need to sort that out. I personally have to delete my Online game data all the time to ensure mine is up to date and ontop of that, other peoples are not always up-to-date therefore matches end. So annoying.

Dinokill

This is my Ultimate Team.

Legit built. Did not buy shit using real money.

gwhoOO7.png

Why is Willians from Chelsea so fucking expensive?

SHarris78

PS4 related question as I couldn't find a dedicated thread for next gen versions:

How are people getting their season to work? Every time I start a new season (not FUT, regular season) and finish the first friendly, it crashes to the blue PS4 menu screen with an error code. Game is, and has been since I bought it, completely broken.

Kosh

Decided to pick up this game for PS4, needed more games and I've always heard great things about FIFA. I'm not much of a soccer/football enthusiast, I do tend to watch the world cup every 4 years, but that's about it. In general, I do like the sport.

Started up the game today and it throws me right into a match of Barcelona v. Real Madrid. I said screw it, I'll give it a go. Lost 6-0, but I was laughing the whole time with my lack of knowledge and ability. After that trouncing, I decided to play a friendly with a 5 star team versus a 1.5 star team on amateur and all assists on. I picked Man United, since I'm a Bucs fan and they are owned by the same family. I played some Polish team. I lost 1-0, they only scored on a penalty kick, so I don't think I did too bad considering I'm rubbish. I had plenty of scoring opportunities, but it took me a while to figure out to hold down the shoot button longer for more power, then I started clearing the cross bar every time.

All in all, I like the game and I'm hooked. I have a long way to go and lots to learn. So, I ask GAF, where do I start to get better at this game? Is there a good guide out there for newbies? All I could find is a pish posh of different opinions, most of them just short message board posts with no real structure on what to do.

Kampfers

Neo Member
Play the skill games, they actually do a pretty good job of showing you the ropes (although some are inevitably frustrating). The only other thing you can do is continue to play games and determine what works for you.

I know the PS4 was gaf's net gen console of choice, but if there are any xb1 players out there that want to play pro clubs, send me a friend request. Volghin, FreeRadicals and myself are getting something going (all former members of the gaf 360 club).

Xion385

I was wondering if someone can gift me a Financial Take over and I will return the favor.

I totally wasted a Financial Takeover. I forgot to save the game where it got triggered on. :(

My PS3 gamertag is my username.

Sleepwalker

This is my Ultimate Team.

Legit built. Did not buy shit using real money.

Why is Willians from Chelsea so fucking expensive?

Because he's the only "good" LW from Brazil (excluding IF Neymar that is) and is also in the BPL, the most popular league in the game, demand is always high for him.

Team is alright, I guess. I'm not fond of Brazil squads, you might want to replace Robinho with Diego Costa. Robinho is utter crap in this game.

Is it possible to compete in FUT without either spending real money, or spending hours a day playing it?

Also if anyone wants to play a few friendlies today I'm up for it, not sue playing SP will help me get good enough at the multiplayer

mstevens

Any tips for a complete noob? I'm about 30 minutes into my first ever Fifa play session (PS4) and I'm a little overwhelmed.

I've done a few of the skill challenges and that has helped a little. Anything else I can do help to get the hang of this, or should I basically just play a bunch of matches on amateur until I get comfortable?

Madden and NBA2k seem like they have less learning curves by far.

Edit: Not bashing the game at all.. seems like this will be really fun once I get the hang of it. I just feel like I'm running around like a 5 year old out there passing to defenders.

Any tips for a complete noob? I'm about 30 minutes into my first ever Fifa play session (PS4) and I'm a little overwhelmed.

I've done a few of the skill challenges and that has helped a little. Anything else I can do help to get the hang of this, or should I basically just play a bunch of matches on amateur until I get comfortable?

Edit: Not bashing the game at all.. seems like this will be really fun once I get the hang of it. I just feel like I'm running around like a 5 year old out there passing to defenders.

I've played a tonne of PS2 Pro Evos even up til the last few weeks, and even the jump from Amateur to Semi-Pro was a bit of a slap in the face. Players became slower, passes more errant, and worst of all, players taking extra touches before releasing the ball, which is something I'd noticed online and in the demo but not on Amateur level. If, as I suspect, its an artificial way of increasing difficulty without putting all of the work into opposition AI and effectiveness, its a pretty shit way of going about it. Harder difficulty levels are supposed to be more fun and challenging, and making the play unresponsive is the complete opposite of fun

I hope I'm wrong, but initial signs aren't promising

Kosh

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. Yeah, you just need to play matches on Amateur. Grab a five star team and play 1-2 star teams to start out. Practice controlling the ball and don't hold down that shot button when you do take the shot. It doesn't take much pressure. You'll get the hang in no time, then comes the fun stuff, learing all the skill moves. Once you've got the hang of it, watch YouTube videos of tutorials on more advanced play. You can add me on PSN if you like, xKoshx.

sun-drop

first thing is change to alt button config.

square for shoot, and on defense, make x tackle, circle slide tackle, and make square teammate press.

best and effective technique for a newbie is work the wings, go 4-1-2-1-2 , have some fast guys on the LM and RM , and a tall good header of the ball upfront.

and yeh ... keep yr trigger finger on that ball control L2 .. and use it when changing directions with the ball to beat guys, and then fire a through ball to those fast outside midfielders ... from there you have a ton of options, easiest is to swing a pass in.

but yeh, just try to think a move ahead .. dictate play with passing, and don't be afraid to send a pass across the field ...through balls at max power to the opposite wing can catch the defense sleeping.

sun-drop

UT guys .. is there a better value striker that Luca Toni ? i think not .. he is unstoppable in the air .. can pick himup for under a grand

CPCunha

OMFG is there any game cheaper than Be-a-Pro (now called career mode) fifa? Does EA really call that A.I.?

The discrepancy between my AI team mates and the CPU controlled rival team is astonishing. Rival player fight for the ball, they go for loose balls from deflections and misplaced headers... They work plays using the sides and all around work as a team.

On the other hand i'm stuck with beta-version robots... they do NOTHING by themselves... if i don't ask for the ball, they keep doing sideway passes until they loose it to the notably smarter players. WTF is this shit.

This is really sad since Be-a-Pro is my go to mode in fifa... i've been waiting for 4 years for a new multiplayer be-a-pro like we had in the last World Cup Fifa game... that was the most fun i've ever had playing this with 3 other friends. I understand difficulties in implementing multiplayer career mode with the club transactions and stuff like that, but i wonder how hard would it be to just turn transactions off.

Sorry for the bitter post but i just needed to vent after a string of horrible games on my Draxler career.

OMFG is there any game cheaper than Be-a-Pro (now called career mode) fifa? Does EA really call that A.I.?

Be A Pro is actually the only mode of FIFA I typically play and I can't remember if it was always this bad, but it's pretty awful. Especially if you try manual passing. The AI can't handle it.

ics0QiUy2yH8.gif

This play just happened. Where the fuck is he going? Not only did he needless bend his run well after I played the ball, he ran away from it as it slowly rolled out of play. Playing as Inter, btw. He should have the skill points to know better if nothing else.

The thing I hate most about be a pro is how lazy the difficulty implementation is.

On professional my team is beasting and I have no problems to win almost all games. The opponent AI is stupid.

On World Class, it's the opposite. Your AI becomes super stupid and the opponent super smart, instead of both parts of the AI becoming stronger.

This results in neither difficulty being any fun. Professional can be way to easy, World Class way to frustrating due to much worse team AI.

P44

Anyone want to add me for online friendlies on PS4? PSN: PXLIV

Sorry, I couldn't find a PS4 equiv. of this thread.

CPCunha

Totally agree with you Hellraizer... it comes down to either laziness or cutting corners to meet the deadline... I keep thinking about the moment where the devs do some testing and go "...oh my, this is not right..." cus stuff like what Bubble posted happens ALL THE TIME.

...and yet the green light it.

...oh my, i remember playing multilayer be a pro... SOOO good. Me and 3 other friends would pick a mid tier European team and we'd create our own players and fight our way to Europa League... and then, when World Cup came out, we'd play GANA and have the single best game i've ever played on the world cup qualifiers... where the CPU controlled Essien scored an amazing goal while we, the players, were just teasing away the defenders. I can't believe they abandoned the mode for that BS card-game they have now.

<=0(

Cow

I have never played a game as frustrating and aggravating as FIFA 14, fucking hell. Will never buy another FIFA, thanks for the good times EA.

nampad

Have been playing Fifa for ages and I loved that they changed the skip button to X (or A on Xbox) instead of start years ago. Somehow, with Fifa 14 it seems like this often leads to unintentional passing of your keeper/corner kicker/freekick kicker.

Doesn't happen to me that often but to my brother and a friend I played against. Both also play Fifa pretty regularly so it shoudn't be something new to them, although my brother may be used to the PES style skipping.
Can't remember that happening often to us with other versions, so what did they change? Anyone else having this problem?

Alpende

So I'm not really interested in playing 5 star teams the entire time. I prefer 3.5 to 4 star teams, keeps it fresh.

What teams would you guys recommend that have 4 or 3.5 stars?

Decided to pick up this game for PS4, needed more games and I've always heard great things about FIFA. I'm not much of a soccer/football enthusiast, I do tend to watch the world cup every 4 years, but that's about it. In general, I do like the sport.

Started up the game today and it throws me right into a match of Barcelona v. Real Madrid. I said screw it, I'll give it a go. Lost 6-0, but I was laughing the whole time with my lack of knowledge and ability. After that trouncing, I decided to play a friendly with a 5 star team versus a 1.5 star team on amateur and all assists on. I picked Man United, since I'm a Bucs fan and they are owned by the same family. I played some Polish team. I lost 1-0, they only scored on a penalty kick, so I don't think I did too bad considering I'm rubbish. I had plenty of scoring opportunities, but it took me a while to figure out to hold down the shoot button longer for more power, then I started clearing the cross bar every time.

All in all, I like the game and I'm hooked. I have a long way to go and lots to learn. So, I ask GAF, where do I start to get better at this game? Is there a good guide out there for newbies? All I could find is a pish posh of different opinions, most of them just short message board posts with no real structure on what to do.

Fifa should take a note from NBA 2K´s tutorial.

Hasney

Finally just got done with my Ultimate Team, probably be no more changes unless I unpack a lucky Ronaldo or something. I've probably used my luck unpacking a Thiago Silva though, which I managed to sell and use the profits for Sergio Ramos.

http://www.easports.com/fifa/football-club/ultimate-team/show-off?showoffId=jRtifhbXnKQwA:ps3

Yeah, I've got better people on the bench in terms of overall for my LM and right ST, but those two have more pace which is where I worked out I was getting beat previously. Gone on an 8 match undefeated streak with these already on PS4 online seasons.

Hasney

Good team. Look out for Deulofeu, he's pretty cheap but has good stats.

Damn, 91 pace. That is very tempting.

Spent some coins on a Premium Gold pack last night and found Gotze, so sold him for 57k coins. Might just save for Iniesta now too!

EDIT: Navas is 91 pace too and can put in a better ball. Can afford him after selling Gotze so I may just grab him then get Cedrick as a benched LM backup with 90 pace should I need him and pray I unpack Ronaldo one day.

Top Bottom