• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 15 |OT| 99 problems but the pitch ain't one.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah no I'd rather have him now when I'm playing daily. I just found out the PC version of NBA 2k this year has an ultimate team clone that's the end of me.

Hasney

Yeah no I'd rather have him now when I'm playing daily. I just found out the PC version of NBA 2k this year has an ultimate team clone that's the end of me.

Wat.

Please keep things like this to yourself. Was going to avoid NBA after last years farce and with it being a packed month for games and you've just ruined that as now I must have this.

jk ily

Lkr

Lol
Play as a 4 star team in seasons and get matched against Manchester united. This game is shit. What do I have to do to get a refund from EA? I would rather give someone else that $60, someone that earned it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You know a football game is crap when Džeko manages to change the running direction while running at full speed faster than any +80 midfielder out there. And all this while keeping the ball under control.

Of course this happens only when he is playing for the AI team.

Gibbo

Im almost this close to giving up on this game. I played 170 hours of Fifa 14, but I just can't seem to adapt to the defending in 15.

Can anybody explain to me what the deal with Ultimate Team is? Virtually every team I meet has multiple players that alone are worth more than my whole squad together, and all they have to do to score is tap the sprint button and speed away from my slow ass, tired players. Also I keep on losing players due to their contracts expiring without being able to renew them since a contract is more expensive than what I'm even getting from a game. What am I missing.

Can anybody explain to me what the deal with Ultimate Team is? Virtually every team I meet has multiple players that alone are worth more than my whole squad together, and all they have to do to score is tap the sprint button and speed away from my slow ass, tired players. Also I keep on losing players due to their contracts expiring without being able to renew them since a contract is more expensive than what I'm even getting from a game. What am I missing.
Takes some time getting used to. This is my first time playing Ultimate Team. Things I learned in the last days:

- Keep an eye on the fitness. Swap players around after every few matches to let them recover.
- List all players you don't want on the transfer market. Brings in the coins. Watch their price so you don't list them too low.
- Put players on their good positions and work on the chemistry stuff.
- For contracts, only buy gold ones. They go for around 500 on the transfer. Should be 1 game to play and you can buy one.
- Play an offline season on amateur if you got trouble. You can make multiple goals a match and get extra points for winning the season.
- With the FIFA XP (or whatever it is called) you can buy an upgrade to get 200 extra coins for an amount of matches in Ultimate Team. Buy that one.

Sony being arseholes about getting a refund. Because I've played the game I can't get a refund, even though it has faults/is defective. They won't escalate to management even though I've made a formal complaint via email, and demand I phone them.

Their phone support never answer even when you're on hold for 30+ minutes.

It's not as if I'm asking for the £50 back into my bank account, as it was PSN Wallet money. I don't get why they're being so damn stubborn about this. Last time I buy something digital from PSN.

Blablurn

I fucking hate this game.

image.php

Lol, I actually like it.

There is a lot more control to defending this year. You can't just spam B anymore to jostle and pull players back. You actually have to manually tackle to take the ball.

And thank fuck they nerfed strength and heading from last year. Shit was overpowered

And anyone going on about the pace obviously didn't play FIFA 13. Good grief. Muriel and co ran riot

Get good defenders and they can manage the quick players because the people that use them are shit and one dimensional

madmackem

This could be the version of fifa we look back on and say that was the turning point, Its utter fucking shit in most every way. Defending is near impossible, keeper ai is fucking dumb as fuck, player ai is useless, ref ai is pen happy and gives fouls for no apparent reasons. If pes get there shit right with net code i wont look back. Fifa is shit this year utter fucking shit and i bought two fucking copies of this shit.

Blablurn

Konami has one shot. Of course they won't market their game. But if they want at least some sales they should go all out. Especially with more and more people hating FIFA.

Played an ultimate team game online last night. Was up 2-0 at the half, then out of nowhere my opponent subs in Messi and Lavezzi at the half. He wins 3-2, all 3 goals scored by Messi. Dude must have been toying with me

sneaky77

This could be the version of fifa we look back on and say that was the turning point, Its utter fucking shit in most every way. Defending is near impossible, keeper ai is fucking dumb as fuck, player ai is useless, ref ai is pen happy and gives fouls for no apparent reasons. If pes get there shit right with net code i wont look back. Fifa is shit this year utter fucking shit and i bought two fucking copies of this shit.

While I agree with some of that, defending has taken getting used to it, and I am doing better now, then again I don't really play with 5 star teams.. I agree that the attacking players being way easier and agile, is weird.

The keeper ai is pretty terrible in most cases, the ref gives a pen almost ever game and the player ai is pretty terrible, as well as the midfield being the parting of the seas in some formations, mostly the 4-2-3-1 from my experience.

Hopefully some of that stuff can be patched, because there are some things that are promising about the engine, but the underlaying stuff and legacy things that are still there yr after yr... high pressure for example, hold the title back.. and this is imo, been a dissapointing year for me because I expect it to be a little better than last yr and not worse.

alterno69

Banned
The more i play the worse this game gets.

I started a season offline and changed pace to slow, everything that can be changed to semi in semi and legacy defending. Much better game that way. I'm gonna try those settings in matchmaking and see if there's enough people playing that way, if not, shit is going vack to the store, i have way more fun with Madden this year.

Worst Fifa in years.

My Korean team has been absolutely killing it online. Beat a team with robben, ribery, lewandowski, schweinsteiger, and lahm with them 3-1.

I sub on Mayuka and the guy is getting at the very least a goal a game. Silver players are incredible if you get the right ones.

banjoted

Im almost this close to giving up on this game. I played 170 hours of Fifa 14, but I just can't seem to adapt to the defending in 15.

Yep, this. When playing career I'm walking it on Professional but defending feels impossible on World Class. Been playing with the sliders but can't find the right balance. So frustrating because the fundamentals of the engine seem decent.

Griss

Finally decided to buy a new Fifa. Trying out Ultimate Team. I've played 3 matches, each time it works fine until after the game when it says 'Unable to process request' afterwards and I lose my result, progress and coins I would have earned. This is bullshit, is this just something that happens or a flaw with my network I need to fix?

This is game-breaking at the moment. I won my last game 6-0 online as well. Fuuuuck.

Hixx

Everything is so heavily weighted in the attackers favour.

It's no fun having having every other attack result in a goal. It's just a bad game imo, hopefully they see sense and patch it but as it is theres absolutely no balance in this game. It's the worst FIFA since I switched from PES about 6 years ago.

Past FIFAs have had lots of (big) problems but this just feels broken. Referees and goalkeepers simply cannot be working as they intended.

Elfish

Is there really any difference between the default non-rare and rare players?
Because non-rare are always a lot cheaper.

edit: nm googled it already ;-)

Meh, its fine. Sheesh, GAF loves to vent its hate.

I hate one thing, my guest picks up his pad and EA wants his info. Fuck you EA.
Refused and the game is stuttery as it tries to analyse my mate.
Yank out the network cable and reload and the game and its many, many loading screens are suddenly buttery smooth and everything loads so much faster.

o u

AcridMeat

Banned
Is there any way to fix matchmaking? I haven't had a single online FUT match that wasn't laggy for me. Makes it impossible to score when every single shot and pass has 25-50% more power than I want.

Finally decided to buy a new Fifa. Trying out Ultimate Team. I've played 3 matches, each time it works fine until after the game when it says 'Unable to process request' afterwards and I lose my result, progress and coins I would have earned. This is bullshit, is this just something that happens or a flaw with my network I need to fix?

This is game-breaking at the moment. I won my last game 6-0 online as well. Fuuuuck.

It's a problem EA is currently trying to fix. Not that they respond to any email you send them, you have to rely on Google to send you to right page where a note was posted. Seems there's a hang up once you finish a match sometimes which prevents the match from ending.

Happened to me my very first FUT match. I sent an email to EA and received no response.

Hope they fix it soon.

Is there any way to fix matchmaking? I haven't had a single online FUT match that wasn't laggy for me. Makes it impossible to score when every single shot and pass has 25-50% more power than I want.

Not to my knowledge. I just block every annoying Fifa player of who has bad internet half way through the match so I don't get matched up again.

Griss

It's a problem EA is currently trying to fix. Not that they respond to any email you send them, you have to rely on Google to send you to right page where a note was posted. Seems there's a hang up once you finish a match sometimes which prevents the match from ending.

Happened to me my very first FUT match. I sent an email to EA and received no response.

Hope they fix it soon.

Yeah I just played another two games, neither went through, all progress lost. I'm about to return this game, this is unacceptable. My brother had Fifa 14, neither of us ever had any trouble like this.

Moozo

Reapproach how you defend. Most people I hear complain about this are still sticking with old techniques to defending, mainly mashing down contain or jockey, both of which aren't any good this year. The actual best way to defend now is to manually track and tackle players.

I play with two CDM's protecting a back 4. Every time the opponent charges in with the ball stay goal side in front of them and instead of charging at them to get the ball, wait and let them come to you, only tapping contain to reposition your player to be facing the opponent. If the two CDMs miss the tackle either run the attacker down from behind while keeping your CBs on their defensive line or swap to a CB if the CDM isnt quick enough and wait for them to charge at you. Get the tackle timed right and you win the ball.

It confuses so many people I play. They either take a hit and hope shot from far distance, or start making passes to the wings that go nowhere and they end up conceding possession. Sometimes keeping your defensive line together forces them to run wide where scoring has a much lower chance of happening as well. They can't take advantage of easy goals and they have no idea how to create other scoring opportunities.

I still let a few goals in on occasion as the AI teammates and keeper can be rubbish as in all FIFA's, but I've gone from averaging 3 or 4 goals conceded eveey game to 1-2 with a few clean sheets thrown in there as well. I'm currently in Div 4 in Seasons as well so the guys I'm playing are no slouches.

Seeing as PES isn't out till next month stick with it at least until then and make the call about selling it when that releases.

This is all good advice. I would also say make use of holding R1 when you're tracking a runner with the player you're controlling, you can make the AI do the work for you.

The key to it all is discipline and patience. You can wait for it to break down, there's no use charging in with a centre back. Of course, this doesn't stop anyone pinging passes around you but then nothing really will.

I'd like EA to at least make everyone play on Semi-Assisted online and not Automatic that might 'solve' some gameplay issues in terms of pingpong passes.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The main broken aspect is the scripting or cheating. I had one game where it was super easy for me, cut through the guy with ease, 20 shots but only one goal. Every shot was at the keeper or wide or off the post. I know it's bullshit cos I'm actually a very clinical striker, I finish almost every chance I get so to miss like 10 one on ones and 10 half chances is just crap.

I'm currently 5-1-1 on UT online, probably haven't met some of the best teams and players but I came across a hazard and a messi and the way to handle them feels quite realistic. You just have to break your dependency on some of the defending styles from last year.

Just like real life you give hazard 20 yards of space vs kompany and hazard will make light work of wriggling past him. You have to sit deep, double up, deny space and hustle them into making a mistake or go backwards.

sneaky77

I'd like EA to at least make everyone play on Semi-Assisted online and not Automatic that might 'solve' some gameplay issues in terms of pingpong passes.
That's been my biggest complaint for years, fully automated and power assistance available online, no squill required.

I know it's bullshit cos I'm actually a very clinical striker, I finish almost every chance I get so to miss like 10 one on ones and 10 half chances is just crap.

I have this too, it seems it swings one way or the other. I am not sure what determines whether your strikers should be accurate or rubbish in a match but for instance I had one game where I had 15 shots no goals all easy chances. Then another game I beat the poor guy 11-2 as nothing could stop them going in.

I have noticed some keepers are completely OP too. Courtuois, Neuer being the biggest offenders. I can only score against them if it is a blatantly unstoppable opportunity, if I have to 'beat' them then well I way as well just blast the ball over the bar and be done with it.

I am getting more used to the defending now but it still needs tweaking. The biggest complaints for me is offside being millimeter perfect, the abysmal referee (and his knack of getting in the way of the ball) and some of the AI (not making attacking runs, players running into each other etc).

Question for those of you who play Ultimate Team. Do the coin bonuses that you can purchase from the Football Catalog stack? Can I purchase the 200 coins per game bonus and the 500 coins per game bonus and end up getting 700 coins per game as a bonus?

Neofx

Question for those of you who play Ultimate Team. Do the coin bonuses that you can purchase from the Football Catalog stack? Can I purchase the 200 coins per game bonus and the 500 coins per game bonus and end up getting 700 coins per game as a bonus?

Whichever one you've bought first will run first. After the first 10 games of +200 the next 10 you'll get +500.

moai

Thanks for the advice but defense is broken and i will not play more games until they fix it (not that ea cares if i play or not). It's just not normal that every game ends 4-3 or 6-4. I'm fairly succesfull on seasons, right now i'm on division 5 winning every title, but it's just no fun to play this way.
In my opinion this is pes year, i hope they seize it. I cant believe im writing this after 6 years from playing my last pes.

So for team management, how much does the exact position of a player matter? For example, a RM playing in the center, or a RM playing on the left side?

Also I haven't been having the same defense problems as everyone else - quite the opposite actually - but I play against the AI on professional and rarely online.

Completed my first year in Career mode as a player, contemplating starting from scratch doing the manager career instead.

May end up doing the second career year as a player and see if I can bump up the challenge with a difficulty increase. It got to the point that in the final game in the season I let my goalie score 5 own goals just to give myself a challenge. I wound up winning 8 - 5.

Zafir

Did they change something in a patch on the PC version?

Was playing the game fine last week. However, now when I've got to launch it, after about 30-60seconds it just drops to 1-2fps making it unplayable... No other game is doing it.

Edit: Seems like it doesn't like rivatuner statistics server... Shut it and it's fine again. How peculiar.

I can't believe how wrong ea have got this, all they needed to do was tone down headers and through balls and the would have had the best football game ever made. Instead it's now a ridiculous basketball style arcade game.

It's not that I'm bad at it, far from it but it's just not than fun to play. Coming from someone who played around a thousand games a year, this shit has got till pro evo comes out and if it's not improved in the next 2 patches I'm out

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I can't believe how wrong ea have got this, all they needed to do was tone down headers and through balls and the would have had the best football game ever made. Instead it's now a ridiculous basketball style arcade game.

It's not that I'm bad at it, far from it but it's just not than fun to play. Coming from someone who played around a thousand games a year, this shit has got till pro evo comes out and if it's not improved in the next 2 patches I'm out

Why tone down throughballs? Footballers are talented people they can put the ball almost wherever they like.

The only thing stopping them is lack of time or space on the ball or on the run.

So it's up to you to manage that and yes it's damn hard. Organisation is one of the hardest things in professional football and is the difference between good and bad teams.

I find so far when both of us know what we're doing scorelines are quite fair, 2-2 probably my highest scoring game to date.

Then I have games where the guy didn't seem to know or couldn't handle me and I won like 7-0. Which is again realistic for a team that is fucking up completely. Hell even man Utd can fuck up and lose 5-3. If someone can't defend the game shouldn't compensate for that by disabling my players or somehow auto defending for one team.

The difference is whether you're in control of the fuck ups or if the game is guiding things to some set templates that you have to wrestle your way out of of it's not in your favour.

Should they have made defending so hard? I dunno what they could've done without making it be some automated broken shit. They're trying to increasingly empower people, so dribblers can dribble really nicely, this is realistic, humans are nimble as fuck. How do you counter that? Strength, positioning, organisation and timing I guess...

Why tone down throughballs? Footballers are talented people they can put the ball almost wherever they like.

The only thing stopping them is lack of time or space on the ball or on the run.

So it's up to you to manage that and yes it's damn hard. Organisation is one of the hardest things in professional football and is the difference between good and bad teams.

I find so far when both of us know what we're doing scorelines are quite fair, 2-2 probably my highest scoring game to date.

Then I have games where the guy didn't seem to know or couldn't handle me and I won like 7-0. Which is again realistic for a team that is fucking up completely. Hell even man Utd can fuck up and lose 5-3. If someone can't defend the game shouldn't compensate for that by disabling my players or somehow auto defending for one team.

The difference is whether you're in control of the fuck ups or if the game is guiding things to some set templates that you have to wrestle your way out of of it's not in your favour.

Should they have made defending so hard? I dunno what they could've done without making it be some automated broken shit. They're trying to increasingly empower people, so dribblers can dribble really nicely, this is realistic, humans are nimble as fuck. How do you counter that? Strength, positioning, organisation and timing I guess...

Agreed. The problem with defending in previous FIFA's was it was all auto tackle bullshit and jostle.

Now you actually have to defend yourself

madmackem

Its supposed to be a football sim, how many chipped through balls lead to goals in real top flight football id say youd be lucky to see one per weekend happen, in last years fifa it lead to two or more goals per game. This years chipped through ball is run diagonal across the box the ai cant deal with it the gk leaves a massive gap at his near post its a goal almost everytime, and people have jumped on it online.

DrunkDan

The problem is that even the shit players can dribble round the field like they're Messi, and play killer one touch passes like Pirlo.

That's not realistic. Even mid table premier league teams don't have players who can pass a perfect through ball - even with time and space. This game seems to want to allow everyone to be Ronaldo. The defending has been tweaked to allow better offensive play, at least for casual fans. Defending can be learned but even then it favours the attacker over the course of a game.

When there are numerous people saying that games are finishing 4-2 or 5-4 etc (on various forums too, not just here) then it's fair to say that some aspects of the game are in need of balancing. The learning curve for defending is a little too steep at the moment. The game definitely has a more arcade feel presently, not helped by the game speed and the ability to ping pong the ball around effortlessly, even with average players.

Even if they were to just allow the contain button to be more effective without auto tackling would be a start. It's not exactly containing anything when it doesn't allow you to get close enough to another player to effectively 'contain'. It gets you within 5 yards then the attacker shifts direction (sometimes at levels that are physically impossible or superhuman) and the defender can't change or match them.

It's like they've never watched high level football before. Beating a player one on one is a real effort, let alone beating 6 straight from kick off. Strange, that after all that I'm still really enjoying it but it definitely has balancing issues.

Top Bottom