• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Yes. That's selected.

That's weird, because it was an issue last year as well as in early access. I'm sure you've tried all the standard driver update stuff. The PC version is surprisingly buggy and temperamental once again.

The other thing I know people have said (if you're using an Nvidia card) is to go into the Nvidia control panel and force vsynch.

As a MLS fan I’m glad the LA Galaxy stadium is in here. Hope EA gets another shot next year to add in the content since they have the engine stuff nailed down.

That's weird, because it was an issue last year as well as in early access. I'm sure you've tried all the standard driver update stuff. The PC version is surprisingly buggy and temperamental once again.

The other thing I know people have said (if you're using an Nvidia card) is to go into the Nvidia control panel and force vsynch.
I've tried yeah. Had a problem with the Nvidia Control panel being missing lol so reinstalled geforce and drivers. Slapped vsync on again and booting up again. Will report back.

jamonbread

Neo Member
Well this Cable with Built in Anti-Aliasing chip to remove Jaggies may help, trouble is its over $100

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-119-hdmi-cable-has-a-built-in-anti-aliasing-chip-to-remove-jaggies/

The only downside with the mcable is having to set your device to output at the games native resolution. For console games using dynamic resolution scaling, or a game that uses sub HD resolutions, you can't output the signal natively.

https://youtu.be/MjJzibFTaqA

krpiper

I have casually played FIFA before but playing this in bed is something else. It feels pretty good, challenging and I can tell I will be playing this for a long time to come!

Played my first two matches. Once docked and the other handheld. Really impressed. Last time I played FIFA was the PS2 days (which sucked) and this is genuinely a lot of fun. For someone who doesn’t own a PS4 or Xbox, the Switch version is fantastic.

oh whoa, seriously, that looks awful in anything that is not a PS4

Switch does not look awful. I played multiple matches today and it looks good on the small screen. More important it feels good to play it. Switch is essentially much weaker than the PS4, so one have to be realistic.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Picking a nice little 79 team to play against in the squad battles on professional. Game was 0-0 most of the game. Cue the 60+ minute, Ronaldo and then Benzema are subbed in for them. With my defenders being pretty tired already. Managed to hold it until the very last second when Ronaldo scores. I have a love/hate relationship with this mode.

A few questions:

Are there any advanced settings to tweak like the previous engine?

Are 8xMSAA and Borderless Window possible?

Why doesn't Fraps work with this game?

Are free kicks easier than they were in FIFA 15 (last one I played) or GKs worse? I'm in the "Playable" mode and scored from my first attempt with Ronaldo with little effort. On FIFA 15 I used to struggle to score free kicks even in practice mode.

mebizzle

Pro camera mode is unfortunately choppy as hell on the Switch but other that it plays and runs great (I'm pretty casual so it's similar enough to my experience with 17 on PS4 for me to enjoy it) graphics are a little rough though, especially if you compare it to the other consoles but I'm in it for the portability.

Blackie

Downloading Switch version right now and it's taking forever, haha. Can't wait to see how this plays in handheld mode :D

Downloading Switch version right now and it's taking forever, haha. Can't wait to see how this plays in handheld mode :D
Plays great handheld.

Only problem for me is the "Nintendo" controls. Since I've never played FIFA on a Nintendo console, only Xbox, I keep pressing B to shoot and A to pass. Of course it's reverse, but my brain keeps forgetting lol

Richie

Kinda concerned about the Switch version's sales so far, at least in Amazon US. It's currently at #47 in the Best Sellers (whereas the PS4 sits at #13 and the Xbox One at #24 (and their digital versions at #17 and #35 respectively). Not concern trolling, folks, definitely want this one to do good; hopefully this ain't represntative of the whole picture.

EDarkness

Kinda concerned about the Switch version's sales so far, at least in Amazon US. It's currently at #47 in the Best Sellers (whereas the PS4 sits at #13 and the Xbox One at #24 (and their digital versions at #17 and #35 respectively). Not concern trolling, folks, definitely want this one to do good; hopefully this ain't represntative of the whole picture.

There is no way this game is gonna sell more than the other versions. It's missing features and the like, but being at 47 isn't all that bad and isn't a bad place to be.

Lylo

There is no way this game is gonna sell more than the other versions. It's missing features and the like, but being at 47 isn't all that bad and isn't a bad place to be.

I doub't the missing features are the main factor here, i mean, FIFA is a gigantic franchise and well stablished on the other consoles. They also have a much bigger installed base.

I think it's important the Switch version sell well, not sell more than the other consoles.

I walked in to Gamestop around 2pm today and the guy told me I got the last Switch copy. I wish I had asked him how many copies they got in.

Richie

Oh, don't expect it to outsell the others at all; but did wonder if #47 so soon after release day wasn't concerning. If not, awesome.

EDarkness

I doub't the missing features are the main factor here, i mean, FIFA is a gigantic franchise and well stablished on the other consoles. They also have a much bigger installed base.

I think it's important the Switch version sell well, not sell more than the other consoles.

Well, there have been quite a few negative threads and negative word of mouth since yesterday and that word of mouth can affect how well the game does. I think there was a news article in this thread that basically said it wasn't worth picking up if you're a hardcore fan. Those kinds of things as well as missing features don't help. I do agree that it does need to sell well and being #47 on the list isn't really a bad thing.

The Switch version is so much fun, I haven’t played a FIFA since 11 and 12 when I was horribly addicted. Now I’m thinking about double dipping for the PS4 version...there goes all my money.

Since the Switch version is missing features, maybe they should have priced it at $40?

Also in terms of the Switch version, my soccer fan friends who were over were amazed at it. It definitely feels quality.

siriocaz

Neo Member
It's sitting in a similar position in Amazon UK, though it's doing just decently in Amazon France and Mexico, at 6th and 7th, respectively. Of course, the US and UK are the big things.

Lylo

Well, there have been quite a few negative threads and negative word of mouth since yesterday and that word of mouth can affect how well the game does. I think there was a news article in this thread that basically said it wasn't worth picking up if you're a hardcore fan. Those kinds of things as well as missing features don't help. I do agree that it does need to sell well and being #47 on the list isn't really a bad thing.

They're definitely not wrong, the missing features of the Switch version are a let down to be honest, but portability can be a really big factor to some people. Today at work my coleagues were freaking out to play the game when i showed it to them. We did a few matches during lunch, it was a blast!

Malcolm9

Anyone expecting the Switch version to be cheaper due to missing features; it won't happen.

EA won't drop the price as it's the only football game available on it. To be honest though it's pretty decent if you want to play FIFA on the go, and we always knew EA wouldn't put 100% effort in.

I think it'll sell quite well though, meaning future versions of the series on the Switch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
What’s the verdict on the switch version? Is it a real version or what they used to do to vita?

It's a ton of fun. I think the only thing they left out was The Journey, but only because they couldn't be bothered to try and port the engine over. I am horribly addicted.

jts

...hate me...
Hard to find a match for Seasons in Switch in my particular neck of the woods... to be fair it’s the wee hours of the second day. Will hate if it’s hard to find matches... and already committed to digital :/

Anyway gonna see if I finally can “get” into FUT to diversify my interests. Always found FUT one of those things I’m officially too old for, and too complex to boot.

Does it say how many people are playing online on switch? I remember the last version of the PC one I played did when you want to the online menu portion.

So does any switch owner in Germany really own FIFA other than downloaded? Cause looks like most of the copies are stuck due to toll issues. Been at Mediamarkt yesterday and it wasn’t there and my brother told me same thing in our hometown

Does it say how many people are playing online on switch? I remember the last version of the PC one I played did when you want to the online menu portion.

Yes it does. I can't remember what the figure was though.

What's the verdict on the switch version? Is it a real version or what they used to do to vita?

It's a proper FIFA game and by EA's own admission, the best portable FIFA they've ever made.

jnWake

Bought FIFA for the Switch. I always play the game casually with friends but I hadn't owned a FIFA game since 06 on the Gamecube...

Turns out I'm pretty bad against the AI. I can't grasp how to actually take the ball away from them haha. Very confused with the different deffense buttons too, not sure which one is more effective.

This engine is weird.

Running DX11 so I can use the Reshade fps counter. Ultra Quality, MSSAx4, 1620p DSR.

Getting 125-135fps, 64fps for cutscenes, set pieces & menu. The game is ignoring the Frame Rate Limiter in Nvidia Inspector. When I set the config Frame Rate Lock to No Limit I get some tearing, but when I set it to 60fps I still get up to 135fps anyway.

Madn

My last FIFA was in '98, so I know next to nothing about FUT. What's the difference in playing online/offline (besides playing against AI or other players)? Should I play both to maximize coins I can get, or just stick with online? Also, should I get packs or buy directly players from the market?

It's sitting in a similar position in Amazon UK, though it's doing just decently in Amazon France and Mexico, at 6th and 7th, respectively. Of course, the US and UK are the big things.
It was out of stock on Amazon uk "Back-ordered. Due in stock October 9 -- order now to reserve yours ", selled currently by another seller than amazon.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Switch version is outselling the Xbox One version on amazon.fr for the whole month of September, which is probably better than what EA hoped for (should this result be the same at retail in France).

Cartho

Plays beautifully on Switch. Don't mind the lack of Journey but features like squad battles missing is a shame.

Still going to be the only version I buy this year - portability is king.

Top Bottom