• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

He is and he is legit actually. In japan he actually draws a crowd with his Cody in SFIV. He uses a hadouken as a strike to kneeling opponents and at one point did zangiefs ultra to a blow up doll in a match he had with it. Legit awesome nerd. Here is the footage of him doing Zangief's Ultra in a match

Current NJPW junior heavyweight champion. He's pretty hilarious at all times and now after joining Bullet Club and going heel as Kenny "The Cleaner" Omega he is even more hilarious because when he went heel he did it the most over the top way ever. Suddenly had dark stubble everywhere, wore nothing but black, frowned, had shades and bad guy gloves and adapted a moniker...a really really dumb one too for the lulz.

xcZuKPM.jpg

Check out his over the top hilariously insane heel intro he came up with :)

Okay, that was kinda awesome.

miku

Regular Akuma fireballs aren't enough. Need ground Reppukens from Eliza.

"You look like a treat."

I never got a chance to unlock her, so it would be great if shes in Tekken 7.

Oh, and I finally finished Owarimonogatari. Now I know who Ougi is.

shaowebb

I never got a chance to unlock her, so it would be great if shes in Tekken 7.

Oh, and I finally finished Owarimonogatari. Now I know who Ougi is.

After reading up on Saya from Nitroplus I am terrified to look into the animes of ANYONE in the crossover anime fighters I've been picking up and studying recently. Aquapazza, Nitroplus, Dengeki Bunko, Koihime Enbu...it just seems like it'd be too much work to try and that I may end up with another HORRIFYING revelation like when I read up on what Saya no Uta is about.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
After reading up on Saya from Nitroplus I am terrified to look into the animes of ANYONE in the crossover anime fighters I've been picking up and studying recently. Aquapazza, Nitroplus, Dengeki Bunko, Koihime Enbu...it just seems like it'd be too much work to try and that I may end up with another HORRIFYING revelation like when I read up on what Saya no Uta is about.

I didnt realize my favorite visual novel came out on steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377670/

A+ would recommend to many

Dont know how it handles the H scenes being removed I can think of one in particular that was super important but extremely fucked up. If it's just the images gone then its fine haha

Astarte

He is and he is legit actually. In japan he actually draws a crowd with his Cody in SFIV. He uses a hadouken as a strike to kneeling opponents and at one point did zangiefs ultra to a blow up doll in a match he had with it. Legit awesome nerd. Here is the footage of him doing Zangief's Ultra in a match

Current NJPW junior heavyweight champion. He's pretty hilarious at all times and now after joining Bullet Club and going heel as Kenny "The Cleaner" Omega he is even more hilarious because when he went heel he did it the most over the top way ever. Suddenly had dark stubble everywhere, wore nothing but black, frowned, had shades and bad guy gloves and adapted a moniker...a really really dumb one too for the lulz.

xcZuKPM.jpg

Check out his over the top hilariously insane heel intro he came up with :)

What an incredible person

Rhapsody

Banned

It's pretty much Saya no Uta that has that dark of a source material from those games listed. You're good.

Saya no Uta's still awesome though

miku

Will watch Saya no Uta if theres an anime adaptation.

By the way, any news on Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Six Stars console release?

Kumubou

Apparently Kenny is a great SF player.

Has anyone asked Harada why the fuck T7 isn't on consoles yet?
The reason is pretty obvious once you realize that Namco gets a cut of every coin drop on T7 cabinets and the fact that the game now draws in more revenue than Gundam EXVS (likely due to the game having more ways to get revenue from players, but that's neither here or there). Causing damage to that for some retail sales isn't worth it. You can't just release it internationally either, as their concern is that even if a US/EU only version existed, hardcore players would just import that version and use that to play and practice, especially with the addition of online play (although I can't think of an instance where this specific scenario actually happened).

kirblar

The reason is pretty obvious once you realize that Namco gets a cut of every coin drop on T7 cabinets and the fact that the game now draws in more revenue than Gundam EXVS (likely due to the game having more ways to get revenue from players, but that's neither here or there). Causing damage to that for some retail sales isn't worth it. You can't just release it internationally either, as their concern is that even if a US/EU only version existed, hardcore players would just import that version and use that to play and practice, especially with the addition of online play (although I can't think of an instance where this specific scenario actually happened).
And this is why I'm so very grateful for Sony making SFV console-exclusive.

shaowebb

Will watch Saya no Uta if theres an anime adaptation.

By the way, any news on Arcana Heart 3 Love Max Six Stars console release?

I've been checking each week for stuff about it and no word yet outta japan. As is, there isn't even much talk on the arcade six stars. It just sorta pops up and vanishes in news. Likely they still working on stuff for things like Nitroplus and working on Six Stars on the sly as they pull that sweet licensed cash.

When there is news I will be all over it. That new character Minori's combos look so fun. Kinda curious what will end up the boss of Six Stars this time. In Arcana 3 it was an OP KOF style hard mode boss called Parace using the stones as weapons. In Love Max it was an enormous Doomsday mech with drones that had platformer elements to fight that shoot em up flooded the screen with bullets that had several gemstones on its body you had to destroy before time was up or you lost ...and I mean LOST. You cant continue unless you die. Time over and its OVER.

Maybe this time you'll actually take on the Drexler Organization somehow.

EDIT: Be cool if they adapted Parace into a playable character. Though her outfit was pretty much a cloth glued to her boobs that she barely held in place with one arm.

DOUBLE EDIT: Whoa! I didn't know CAVE teamed up with Examu to release a mobile Arcana Heart game? Arcana heart card of glory. Not certain if its a true fighting game, or some turn based card thing or something...

QUESTION For FGW:

as someone who has brothers, I would always have someone to play multiplayer games with or to practice off. specially during the ps1/n64 days and so forth. I never played with arcade except when reeeal young and i wouldn't equate it to the arcade scene that most people refer to in FGs.

so for those of you who were single children or didn't have anyone else to play FGs with, what was your main source of fun for sticking to the genre? (asking in particular for those who played during the non-internet enabled consoles).

was it the technical aspect, the appeal of story mode, the animu?

Kumubou

And this is why I'm so very grateful for Sony making SFV console-exclusive.
I actually don't think it was Sony's call -- they have a partnership with Square-Enix for Dissidia AC and they were OK with giving Square space between the arcade and console releases. If anything, I think it was Capcom's call -- which is a bit surprising, since USF4 still gets decent play in Japan, even now.

Honestly, I think if the generic Nesica-based cabinets had even remotely modern hardware (they're relatively weak PC hardware even by 2010 standards, roughly in line with the previous generation of consoles), Capcom would have rolled out an arcade version alongside the console and PC releases for the Japanese market. However, they can't justify pushing dedicated kits on operators with a simultaneous launch and the generic cabinets are likely too underpowered to run SF5, so now it is what it is.

I know, everyone is becoming interested in anime recently. Scary.
Eh, there's still some restraint. It's not like you have a bunch of Arcana Heart players running around all of the sudden.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'd like for there to be a way to use ex meter while still having a CA stocked. Maybe adding another 3 bar gauge on top of the existing one, or having a 4 bar gauge and having CAs cost 3 bars. Not totally related to SFIV, but just something that I'd like.

I toyed with this idea in SF4 when it first came out. Now that there are no ultras in SF5, I think this idea would be even more interesting.

Kalamari

Eh, there's still some restraint. It's not like you have a bunch of Arcana Heart players running around all of the sudden.

Lol, I know, I was partly joking. It's good to see people playing games, if there is some Xrd going tonight I want hop on with my day one Sin.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I know, everyone is becoming interested in anime recently. Scary.

Now I'm getting hungry.

QUESTION For FGW:

as someone who has brothers, I would always have someone to play multiplayer games with or to practice off. specially during the ps1/n64 days and so forth. I never played with arcade except when reeeal young and i wouldn't equate it to the arcade scene that most people refer to in FGs.

so for those of you who were single children or didn't have anyone else to play FGs with, what was your main source of fun for sticking to the genre? (asking in particular for those who played during the non-internet enabled consoles).

only played it when i had friends over, otherwise i didnt play them because i would get bored easily. fast forward to 2009, fell in love with SSF4 and played that game a lot cause it had online.

Zissou

I toyed with this idea in SF4 when it first came out. Now that there are no ultras in SF5, I think this idea would be even more interesting.

That was one neat thing about choosing your supers in 3S (choosing multi-stock supers to allow you to use ex moves more freely).

WarRock

Finally played Cyberbots! FUCK YES THE BOOST SYSTEM IS AWESOME. And the bots have ALL the attacks from Armored Warriors, a lot of them with the same motions! Shit is crazy!

QUESTION For FGW:

99% of the time I played alone, against the CPU, since I was at home without friends to play. Nowadays I have a couple of friends and sometimes organize little 3-4 man "tourneys" with college mates in the middle of snacks and stuff.

Man, fighting games were always fascinating to me. The animations, the character designs, all the diversity of expression, the mystery in the back story of each one of the characters, all the martial arts bullshit... And then there is the physical element, the feedback of the hits and the fact that YOU have to learn how to do the attacks and understand how to use them.

I spent weeks and weeks playing arcade mode trying to see all the supers, discover what the story was about (doing all endings and stuff), discovering patterns to defeat bullshit bosses, learn the pre-fight dialogs....

So much stuff. Most of the other games I had access didn't have the same amount of care and polish, neither characters so appealing. And every now and then I could play against other people, and for years that was the only "PvP" I knew, besides racing games. Multiplayer either was coop in Metal Slug or something like that or VS in RRR or Street Fighter.

Dahbomb

When I was young I always had someone to play against, usually friends or cousins. Plus when I was younger arcades were more common and I would try to go there as much as possible.

The only fighting game I played for the single player was Soul Caliber 1. Well I did beat the arcade modes with all the fighters for all the other fighters but that I used as a bootleg training mode. Plus in something like Tekken you actually had to beat the game multiple times to unlock characters so it was a necessity.

Astarte

QUESTION For FGW:

It was actually because I loved seeing all the cool stuff that characters could do. I was a Korean Starcraft kiddie so I didn't know much besides playing a bit of Tekken and Starcraft, but it was really cool seeing these characters do sick flips or shoot fireballs out of their hands. I think Rival Schools was the first fighting game where I just adored every aspect of it, plus it was pretty anime as hell and I was going through an anime-ass phase.

Warxard

Banned
QUESTION For FGW:

The characters mostly. You don't see these types of characters in other games.

I had 3 siblings that never liked fighting games. i started playing Guilty Gear because its presentation just grabbed me, so I got some friends to play with me. The story kept me in the series throughout PS2.

Soul Calibur was my other main series back then due to the wealth of single player content.

Once BlazBlue came out I snatched it up due to guilty gear history, and the story was the main reason I kept playing. Plus Noel is basically the best character ever (ok 3rd best)

shaowebb

The characters mostly. You don't see these types of characters in other games.

This. Everyone was a mystery to unlock. Its like when you're a kid and some dude shows up on your favorite series outta no where ready to throw down and all you can wonder is "ooooh...why are they so confident? How do they fight and what abilities do they have?"

^That shit right there is every time I pick up a fighting game character. I love it. I hate when characters are vanilla. When some crazy dude shows up fighting with weird abilities like in Naruto or Jojo it drove fans wild. Granted I couldn't get into either but you get the idea. I like em loud and weird and fighting games frequently gave me that. No other games gave me so many loud action heroes to enjoy a good slugfest with.

My brothers didnt play games at all (two are 10 yrs older than me so they were in college and stuff earliest I could remember). The other one only played sports games sometimes and hated other games and didnt like that I played other games, so no.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

This is what I'm hoping for but it'll be even more difficult to balance. The game would be so destructive and chaotic if that was the case... And I would love every second of it.

The best way to wait for SFV is to watch Prison School.

cdrQbOR.png

Jumpy animation as a result of using tradition animation where the character get a completely new drawing with each frame, Skullgirls uses this a lot and it's part of the game's look but since they're not recycling a lot of stuff from the previous frame some inconsistencies happens like some limps(or shading or outlines) not maintaining the exact same proportions between animation frame which create the "jumpy" look:

This works for the "noir" setting because it reminds me of the animation of other cartoons with noir setting like Roger Rabbit or Droopy Master Detective which also had the jumpy look, that and jumpy animation generally is associated with old western classic animations which gives the game an old/classic 40s-50s cartoon feel which is also part of the noir thing.

Now if you look at Darkstalker's animation, it's mostly limited animation, they wont redraw stuff between frames unless there's a big change and for the most part it's only small edits and not redrawing stuff from scratch, this help in maintaining a consistent proportions between animation frame:
I'm glad you and other people recognized that. I can't tell you how frustrating it's been dealing with people who swear up and down that SG is anime when you can clearly see so much western influence that even composers like Yamane (who had nothing to do with animation) could trace the roots.

That said...
When I say "I don't want to see DS in SG style", I'm not talking about SG silliness and over the top moves, characters, special effects, etc... I'm just saying I don't want to see DS made in SG engine using the same animation techniques SG was made by.
Engines are flexible and I don't see any reason whey can't use different animation techniques for a new fighter. A grab as big as DS would probably warrant that much extra effort. Too bad we'll never find out.
nice post, it's sad given the current year and how the current development scene is, it'd be hard to find a major company that would dedicate that level of detail as LZ without going 3d model-in-2d space.

so for now i think Lab Zero would be the only ones to do the series justice with the animations they are proficient in. it's one of the few that make sense, so it'd just have to be a bitter pill to swallow. Sprite work is probably dead on a major title sense.

unless Vanillaware suddenly made a fighting game :O
A vanillaware fighting game would be terrible. It'd be so weird seeing the separate limbs having to animate fast enough for a fighting game. It's sort of like people wanting Silver Age western cartoon animation in a fighter. They're gonna have a bad time with all that wasted detail and deformation moving so fast.
We need you!

Can we talk about how awesome Jedah's Guard Cancel is?

wc5GEm9.gif
It's awesome, but fuck Guard Cancels nonetheless.
Actually sitting down and thinking for a bit, yeah you're right a lot of Western TV toons are using more limited animation nowadays than they have in the past. That being said, as long as you don't need to launch with 50+ characters (i.e. like Marvel or KOF) or add more than 4ish characters a year I don't think this is really an issue for a modern fighting game. Lab Zero makes games on budgets much smaller than a lot of the 3D games. One could argue they should probably be paid more but either way, as long as you don't need infinite characters fast, I don't think this is financially prohibitive. Darkstalkers has what like 20 real characters across all its versions? Launch with 12-15 characters and add 12-15 more over the course of say 3-4 years seems feasible to me given prior precedents. I think Darkstalker's relatively small cast (even including any new characters) makes this seem more viable than it would be for other IPs.
Yeah, after SG I've got more appreciation for smaller rosters. A new VSav with a starting roster of 12 would get some complaints, but if it were released as a smaller $30 title I think it'd do okay. I'd even like SNK to jump into that pool with a new Last Blade.
Nothing could be worse than find out where Kirino comes from.

Nothing
The best way to wait for SFV is to watch Prison School.
Don't you mean "read" Prison School? I didn't understand the appeal of black and white manga until I started reading Berserk. The fact that many anime only cover a portion of the manga helps too.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Someone give me a list of thought provoking and heart felt anime(s) that involve romance, can be little to a lot. I don't wanna go back to my pre-teen days of watching shoujos (aka cardcaptor sakura) to get my fix.

Kalamari

Someone give me a list of thought provoking and heart felt anime(s) that involve romance, can be little to a lot. I don't wanna go back to my pre-teen days of watching shoujos (aka cardcaptor sakura) to get my fix.

Watch Kuroko no Basuke, it's about a boy's love of basketball.

No watch, you need the principal's voice
The voices are pretty nice. Can't argue against that.
What's thje popular place to pay Darkstalkers 3? PSN? XBL? Fightcade?
There is no popular place to play VSav... except the midwest, I guess lol. Fightcade is probably the normal response thanks to the chatting functions of the lobby system. Unfortunately VSav doesn't have even a fraction of the popularity 3S and KOF 98/2002 possess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom