• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
This is what Shin gave me so far:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190810904&postcount=4970

He wrote a bit much - I just wanted a sentence or so per character to give me an idea of where I should be looking.

ok Christie - Fast pokes, Lacks Guarantees, strong in movement side step and backing away etc, gots good damage, but also lacks crushes

Marie Rose - Gimmicky, reset heavy, low damage, good crushes, good guarantees, really good built in movement

Ein - same thing as Hitomi but more into whiff punishment

Hayabusa - semi grappler semi combo. Meaning he can do both but he really hard to play not like its easy to get his high damage combos he one of slower ninjas, and his command throws are little hard at first. Got good gimmicks

Hayate - he garbage dont play him... JK JK lol he is spacing/zooning/keep out char. A lot of his movement commands back him away. he got some good launchers ok guarantee. but he really simple to play as. basically fundamental but mainly into zooning

Jann Lee - is high damage char. Got some good guarantee damage, nice reset grab. he is also a fndamental char. meaning he not to hard to learn you can focus on fundamental things like stun launch juggle. He has real good damage and crushes. only weakness is he predictable. So you got be good at mixing up

Tina - Grappler, but she does got good launchers and damage pretty slow so you be fishing for counter hits or punishment. She good solid not to hard character Perfect example what i mean is right here one of best Tina players in USA. you will notice he doing both grappler and a striker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMzlqZfau0

Bass - same thing as tina but more grappler like tina you can play her almost as a semi grappler like do combos to make person want to counter, but bass is much more grappler its hard to just be striker with bass. Dont get me wrong he can do damage with grabs to make people want to counter. He just slowest char in game, but omg his throws do so much damage

I can give more just right now I can't think to much on other char like who else is there and what they good at and bad at lol. also let me know if you want me to put tournament link of them in high level play. to get much better idea

petghost

Banned
I'm new on stick and have this problem too. Double tapping is fine but full screen dashing and backdashing for some characters can be straining. I guess it's too much mashing and not finding the rythymn?

Maybe reevaluate the way you hold the stick? I used to get hurt/ be real inconsistent doing 9 6 like an iad till I changed how I held it.

Grakl

You should just drum your fingers across the buttons, I don't even move my wrist when I do it.
I'm not moving my wrist at all when doing it, hm. I do have it positioned slightly different, but I can't tell really.

Just gotta stretch and stuff, I guess.

NotWorkSafe, quote for a link to the SmashGAF Discord Chat if you want to talk while playing:

ok Christie - Fast pokes, Lacks Guarantees, strong in movement side step and backing away etc, gots good damage, but also lacks crushes

Marie Rose - Gimmicky, reset heavy, low damage, good crushes, good guarantees, really good built in movement

Ein - same thing as Hitomi but more into whiff punishment

Hayabusa - semi grappler semi combo. Meaning he can do both but he really hard to play not like its easy to get his high damage combos he one of slower ninjas, and his command throws are little hard at first. Got good gimmicks

Hayate - he garbage dont play him... JK JK lol he is spacing/zooning/keep out char. A lot of his movement commands back him away. he got some good launchers ok guarantee. but he really simple to play as. basically fundamental but mainly into zooning

Jann Lee - is high damage char. Got some good guarantee damage, nice reset grab. he is also a fndamental char. meaning he not to hard to learn you can focus on fundamental things like stun launch juggle. He has real good damage and crushes. only weakness is he predictable. So you got be good at mixing up

Tina - Grappler, but she does got good launchers and damage pretty slow so you be fishing for counter hits or punishment. She good solid not to hard character Perfect example what i mean is right here one of best Tina players in USA. you will notice he doing both grappler and a striker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMzlqZfau0

Bass - same thing as tina but more grappler like tina you can play her almost as a semi grappler like do combos to make person want to counter, but bass is much more grappler its hard to just be striker with bass. Dont get me wrong he can do damage with grabs to make people want to counter. He just slowest char in game, but omg his throws do so much damage

I can give more just right now I can't think to much on other char like who else is there and what they good at and bad at lol. also let me know if you want me to put tournament link of them in high level play. to get much better idea
Thank you! No worries about tournament play yet. That will come after I figure out who I want to play.

Just got back! I'll get the Wii U going, not sure how invite games work. I've only done randoms.

I could have sworn I had you added but I didn't see you in my friends list. So I resent a friend request
Turning the Wii U on now. Go ahead and make a room. The menu is pretty self-guiding. I'll accept the f-req.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
NotWorkSafe, quote for a link to the SmashGAF Discord Chat if you want to talk while playing:

Thank you! No worries about tournament play yet. That will come after I figure out who I want to play.

Turning the Wii U on now. Go ahead and make a room. The menu is pretty self-guiding. I'll accept the f-req.

what style do you normally play when you play fighting games I think i narrow list to 5 to 8 char you should look at

ShinMaruku

Go watch Goemon.

bnmmn.gif
Gatlike movie.
Ok 5 more character summaries

Honoka: She's the trick/gimmick character with transitioning into different stances to use ther moves she learned from other characters. For example she has some of Hitomi's knock back attacks that can be transitioned into from neutral. She can also transition into some of Jann Lee and Brad Wong's moves for some crushes, she also has her sister's spin kick which is a great space clearer into a danger zone she also has a awesome transtion of stances into her special dunk throw which is pretty great if you can fish for a counter then launch them. She also has the most hype Power Launcher where she says "Good baaaaiii!"

Kokoro: She's a tricky character with the fact that you can't simply string people due to the speed of her attacks, however she has great parries that blow people up and she has a great knock back game which is how she should be used in after netting a parry, she also has an advanced throw which will transition her to a guarenteed set up to wall splat.

Helena: She is the mix up/high low queen in this game, she has so much strings from lows and her range is pretty good too where she can do great damage from mid range, her combos do great damage one of the top 5 characters.

what style do you normally play when you play fighting games I think i narrow list to 5 to 8 char you should look at
I usually play zoners. Stuff that's important to me:
-Being able to hit my opponent from anywhere.
-Great range on normals.
-A defensive gamestyle.
-High mobility.
-Good projectiles.
-Good pressure/chip damage.

A lot of these things don't apply in a 3D fighter, so it's hard to say.

Things I don't care about/dislike:
-Mixups; I like to win through the neutral.
-HATE stances. I like all my moves to be in one place at one time (though I kind of like Helena from past games).

Kumubou

Is it just me or are SFV walkspeeds for the most part slower than IV?
I know the movement data from the last beta has been datamined, and while I don't have the URL handy (womp womp) I do remember that most walkspeeds ended up being slightly slower than their SF4 counterparts (with some notable exceptions, like Bipson being way slower).

DunpealD

I know the movement data from the last beta has been datamined, and while I don't have the URL handy (womp womp) I do remember that most walkspeeds ended up being slightly slower than their SF4 counterparts (with some notable exceptions, like Bipson being way slower).

Couldn't find the actual source, but Eventhubs has them in an article from the dantarion site.

ShinMaruku

-Great range on normals.
-A defensive gamestyle.
-High mobility.
-Good projectiles.

-HATE stances. I like all my moves to be in one place at one time (though I kind of like Helena from past games).
Upon such things I can suggest
-NyoTengu
-LeiFang
-Momiji
-Ayane
-Serah
-Zack
-Hitomi
Serah can be a bit iffy with her flamaingo stance but it's the only one she has Zack has Zack beam which is a projectile, Lady Kstoute has the wind thing which is ranged, the others all have something to fight from range, Lei and Hitomi have parries that can blow through some stike and have a great range game. Momiji Ayane, Serah and Hitomi are highly mobile, Lady Kstoute has to know how to use her fly to get good movement.

Dahbomb

-Great range on normals.
-A defensive gamestyle.
-High mobility.
-Good projectiles.

Most of these don't apply to 3D fighters like Tekken at all.

Movement is generally pretty universal among characters. You can have something like wave dashing in Tekken but it's not Magneto vs Arthur difference here.

Pretty much every projectile in these games is ass. Even if they do have them, they aren't worth using outside of gimmick strats.

You can't hit someone from across the screen in 3D fighters. Some exception would be Soul Caliber where Ivy can hit really far though.

No real chip damage in something like Tekken either. Plus quite a few characters in 3D fighters have some stance moves.

GGs notworksafe. Which of your characters do you enjoy playing the most?

Most of these don't apply to 3D fighters like Tekken at all.

Movement is generally pretty universal among characters. You can have something like wave dashing in Tekken but it's not Magneto vs Arthur difference here.

Pretty much every projectile in these games is ass. Even if they do have them, they aren't worth using outside of gimmick strats.

You can't hit someone from across the screen in 3D fighters. Some exception would be Soul Caliber where Ivy can hit really far though.

No real chip damage in something like Tekken either. Plus quite a few characters in 3D fighters have some stance moves.
I already said that. :p

Upon such things I can suggest
-NyoTengu
-LeiFang
-Momiji
-Ayane
-Serah
-Zack
-Hitomi
Serah can be a bit iffy with her flamaingo stance but it's the only one she has Zack has Zack beam which is a projectile, Lady Kstoute has the wind thing which is ranged, the others all have something to fight from range, Lei and Hitomi have parries that can blow through some stike and have a great range game. Momiji Ayane, Serah and Hitomi are highly mobile, Lady Kstoute has to know how to use her fly to get good movement.
Cool, thanks!

Ggs Karst, other than that scrub barrel shot in the last match lol

I gotta go clean up some dishes etc but that was fun
You should join SmashGAF and play more. :)

That barrel shot was hilarious. Also, I completely confess that twice when Pac-man fell into the barrel off-stage, I just got lucky, haha. >_>

Dahbomb

I already said that. :p
I know so you basically want a stance less long ranged normals defensive character. Honestly you should try playing some Soul Calibur games as they have more ranges in normals and easier to distinguish archetypes. I feel like you would work well with Ivy though she like many characters in Soul Calibur has stance moves.

notworksafe

You should join SmashGAF and play more. :)

That barrel shot was hilarious. Also, I completely confess that twice when Pac-man fell into the barrel off-stage, I just got lucky, haha. >_>

Ha nice! Yeah I might...I feel like I was scrubbing it up for most of that though.

Not sure if you saw me in discord but I was playing Robin/Peach and the fiancee was playing ZSS/Marth. Something tells me she's much better than me haha

I know so you basically want a stance less long ranged normals defensive character. Honestly you should try playing some Soul Calibur games as they have more ranges in normals and easier to distinguish archetypes. I feel like you would work well with Ivy though she like many characters in Soul Calibur has stance moves.
Oh, I love Soul Calibur. But I want to get into DoA and T7 a bit. :p

In Soul Calibur I play Nightmare and Astaroth. I don't like the guessing games Ivy makes you use.
Ha nice! Yeah I might...I feel like I was scrubbing it up for most of that though.

Not sure if you saw me in discord but I was playing Robin/Peach and the fiancee was playing ZSS/Marth. Something tells me she's much better than me haha
Oh geez, I missed that. -_-

I think you both have a few things to try out:
1) Less smash attacks, more tilts and aerials.
2) Fast-falling. It takes a while to ingrain into your system, but it's so worth it.
3) Short hops instead of full hops in the neutral.

Anyway, tell your fiancee I said "Good games!"

Marz

Oh i see. So basically we have slower walkspeeds and shittier normals than IV eh?

Still waiting on these mythical fighters that have fast walkspeeds that people are always going on about.

notworksafe

Oh geez, I missed that. -_-

I think you both have a few things to try out:
1) Less smash attacks, more tilts and aerials.
2) Fast-falling. It takes a while to ingrain into your system, but it's so worth it.
3) Short hops instead of full hops in the neutral.

Anyway, tell your fiancee I said "Good games!"

I'll have to look up a few of those terms but definitely something I'll work on before our next set

K.Sabot

Is it just me or are SFV walkspeeds for the most part slower than IV?

I think this is partially true for some characters in V, but it could also be in part due to the dimensions / size of the characters in relation to the screen when changing between SF4 and SF5.

As you might be able to tell, SFV's characters take up less space visually in comparison to SF4. This is mostly due to health bar and super bar placement, but also that the characters are thinner horizontally. SF4's chunkier characters could theoretically move the same speed across a smaller visual space and seem faster.

I know for a fact, cause I tested this, that Chun Li in 4 and 5 is around the same (about 1.5 seconds walking from fullscreen to the opponent in the corner). Some character's walkspeeds may be different due to balancing like Bison of course, but generally I think the game's walkspeeds feel normal.

also chun li looks mad gross in sf4

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
-Great range on normals.
-A defensive gamestyle.
-High mobility.
-Good projectiles.

HHMMM take a look at these char. in DOA a char. to hit from anywhere is you know impossible except for Hayabusa but he a bunch of stances not new friendly. Helena actually is really bad at range its her biggest weakness is big stages.

Hayate - just once stance

Ayane

Nyo Tengu

Lisa

Jann Lee

Lei fang - she has the weakest movement per to say out of all them but she got the best netural range and best defense and can play keep out and whiff punishment

all those char. got good netural game but also some good movement in built in whiff bait movements.

what's wrong with pressing on stick in direction twice for street fighter?
Slow and cumbersome.

I'll have to look up a few of those terms but definitely something I'll work on before our next set
Fast-fall: when descending, hold down. You'll move at ~double your rate, which is good for offense, mindgames, and recovery.

Tilts: push the directional button slightly and attack.

Short hop: when jumping, just barely tap the jump button to jump less high.

bisons walk speed tho lmao
I'm still wondering how they plan to cover his cross-up range when his walk speed is so slow.

Someone on SRK said it best: right now, Bison is a zoner that can be beaten by flowchart play.

HHMMM take a look at these char. in DOA a char. to hit from anywhere is you know impossible except for Hayabusa but he a bunch of stances not new friendly. Helena actually is really bad at range its her biggest weakness is big stages.

Hayate - just once stance

Ayane

Nyo Tengu

Lisa

Jann Lee

Lei fang - she has the weakest movement per to say out of all them but she got the best netural range and best defense and can play keep out and whiff punishment

all those char. got good netural game but also some good movement in built in whiff bait movements.
Thanks! I have a list!

jerry1594

Maybe reevaluate the way you hold the stick? I used to get hurt/ be real inconsistent doing 9 6 like an iad till I changed how I held it.
Yeah, maybe. It's kind of character specific. Dudley gives me no problems, alex gives me some backdashing problems, shoto dashing some problems and their backdashing is generally a pain. I haven't spent enough time committing stuff to muscle memory might be the biggest issue. I haven't played twelve or vsav much as of late so iad and jump cancelled supers/iad i should probably practice a bit.

Mago vs Momochi ft7 is in 7 hours. Mago will do me proud this time. He's going to revert to 2010-2012 era Mago and dominate in long sets.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Somebody was like nobody likes Ryu, Ken and Akuma players and then I was like what about Daigo, Momochi and Tokido?

Tularensis

Neo Member
Man, trying to get back into Ultra is fucking brutal. When I logged back in, it seems I had like 2500pp from the week 1 USFIV scrub fest, so I kept getting matched up with solid players. I'm finally down to around 700 or so, but I still have over 5k bp with E. Ryu, so matchmaking is kinda wonky right now on ranked, and people leave player matches if they body you too hard. I'm in that weird place with SFIV where I'm too good to play scrubs, but too bad to play solid players.

The SFV withdraws are real as fuck. SF4 would have forever remained grayed out on my steam library had I not joined the SFV beta.

mbpm1

Man, trying to get back into Ultra is fucking brutal. When I logged back in, it seems I had like 2500pp from the week 1 USFIV scrub fest, so I kept getting matched up with solid players. I'm finally down to around 700 or so, but I still have over 5k bp with E. Ryu, so matchmaking is kinda wonky right now on ranked, and people leave player matches if they body you too hard. I'm in that weird place with SFIV where I'm too good to play scrubs, but too bad to play solid players.

The SFV withdraws are real as fuck. SF4 would have forever remained grayed out on my steam library had I not joined the SFV beta.

Don't fall for it

Cold turkey until SFV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom