• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astarte

Someone give me a list of thought provoking and heart felt anime(s) that involve romance, can be little to a lot. I don't wanna go back to my pre-teen days of watching shoujos (aka cardcaptor sakura) to get my fix.

Katanagatari (more of a developing relationship. You will see this. YOU WILL SEE THIS.)
Tatami Galaxy (top 5 of all time ez)
Kaiba (ye)
Kemonozume (art style can put people off, but it's by Mr. Ping Pong so..yeah.)
Jin-Roh (REAL HUMAN BEAN)
Honey and Clover :v
uh...Lesbian Bears (Symbolism is through the god damn roof)

Warxard

Banned
The voices are pretty nice. Can't argue against that.

There is no popular place to play VSav... except the midwest, I guess lol. Fightcade is probably the normal response thanks to the chatting functions of the lobby system. Unfortunately VSav doesn't have even a fraction of the popularity 3S and KOF 98/2002 have.

Well, I'd love to play some VSav once in a while, on any platform really!

Infinite

Someone give me a list of thought provoking and heart felt anime(s) that involve romance, can be little to a lot. I don't wanna go back to my pre-teen days of watching shoujos (aka cardcaptor sakura) to get my fix.
Princess Jellyfish
Tatami Galaxy
The eccentric family

Zissou

Yeah, after SG I've got more appreciation for smaller rosters. A new VSav with a starting roster of 12 would get some complaints, but if it were released as a smaller $30 title I think it'd do okay. I'd even like SNK to jump into that pool with a new Last Blade.

Roster size is super hard to get right, I feel.

The smaller you go, the greater the risk of potential players not finding one or more characters they find appealing (in both playstyle and design). You also get less character match-up variety which is a big part of the appeal of asymmetrical competitive games.

The bigger you go, the harder it is for players to learn the game, production costs go up and up, and it can be difficult to make more and more characters who work in the context of the fighting game system you've made yet are distinct from existing characters.

It also depends on the type of game you're making. An MvC4 with 16 characters at launch would seem crazy, whereas SFV launching with 16 characters feels just about perfect.
Random aside: it's funny how a team-based game allows more variety and creativity with any given number of characters (due to all the possible team permutations), but it almost paradoxically works against you too. Like, you just have to add one more character, and the number of possible new team combinations skyrockets, which is really awesome... but if your roster is too small, you'll see the same characters popping up so often that the smallness of the roster is more obvious and apparent- a double-edged sword.

You also have to take into account additional characters being added later. The launch roster needs to be big enough to get people in, but you need to leave some room to expand comfortably without becoming some hundred character monstrosity.

Beats

The Rose of Versailles
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Mizerman

Hmm...I've heard that Clannad is decent enough.

QUESTION For FGW:

as someone who has brothers, I would always have someone to play multiplayer games with or to practice off. specially during the ps1/n64 days and so forth. I never played with arcade except when reeeal young and i wouldn't equate it to the arcade scene that most people refer to in FGs.

so for those of you who were single children or didn't have anyone else to play FGs with, what was your main source of fun for sticking to the genre? (asking in particular for those who played during the non-internet enabled consoles).

was it the technical aspect, the appeal of story mode, the animu?

Smash with friends was all I could do since they're not into the deep fight games. Picked up Persona 4 Ultimax as my first "real" fighting game and it was a ton of fun with a pretty good netcode.

So basically, it wasn't until I realized that FG's have good netcode for playing online.

WarRock

Roster size is super hard to get right, I feel.

The smaller you go, the greater the risk of potential players not finding one or more characters they find appealing (in both playstyle and design). You also get less character match-up variety which is a big part of the appeal of asymmetrical competitive games.

The bigger you go, the harder it is for players to learn the game, production costs go up and up, and it can be difficult to make more and more characters who work in the context of the fighting game system you've made yet are distinct from existing characters.

It also depends on the type of game you're making.
Would add that it depends how the characters differentiate themselves. A 12 characters SamSho, GG or BB feels more varied than a 12 character SF or MK to me.
On the other hand, Last Blade 2 sure could use 3 or 4 more.

Zissou

Would add that it depends how the characters differentiate themselves. A 12 characters SamSho, GG or BB feels more varied than a 12 character SF or MK to me.
On the other hand, Last Blade 2 sure could use 3 or 4 more.

Character differentiation is tricky too. Too little differentiation and you end up with bland homogeneity. Too much and the characters don't even feel like the belong in the same game with each other (and the game becomes increasingly hard to learn).

honey and clover
chihayafuru has romance
nodame cantabile
toradora
girl who leapt through time
beyond the clouds the promised place (The place promised in our early days)
5 centimeters
Lie in April
Kids on a slope does have some
whisper of the heart

there's more that I probably have forgotten

Grakl

I've been practicing double tapping for SFV and my wrist gets hella tired after just a few minutes in the lab. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or will my wrist get used to it?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
fgcgaf da mvp for animu, my backlog has increased even more now.

I've been practicing double tapping for SFV and my wrist gets hella tired after just a few minutes in the lab. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or will my wrist get used to it?

I can speak for using a controller, wrist and fingers slightly cramp and get exhausted. Regularly stretch out for arms and fingers, also you'll get used to it.

I hear they're thinking about implementing a two-button dash...

and then right afterwards they're going to patch umvc3, right?

K9hGa2W.gif

one piece

he said "thought provoking," not "vomit inducing"

Anne

Wait, how does double tapping hurt your wrist?

jerry1594

Wait, how does double tapping hurt your wrist?
I'm new on stick and have this problem too. Double tapping is fine but full screen dashing and backdashing for some characters can be straining. I guess it's too much mashing and not finding the rythymn?

oh wow roflmao
SkeletonWaiting.jpg

and then right afterwards they're going to patch umvc3, right?

K9hGa2W.gif

he said "thought provoking," not "vomit inducing"
Haha.

Just a joke. I wish we had two-button dashes in every fighter to make execution easier and faster.

Would be kind of weird with how ex moves work and one not. Bet if they did implement it they will make it have a weird button combination like red focus (though that was 3 buttons), say lp mk...
I don't see why this is a problem. qcf.PP is an EX Hadoken, but qcf.PP is Chaotic Flame in Marvel. You never hear Marvel players say they got a super instead of their dash. Why would it be a problem in Street Fighter?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
goemon looks anime as fuck and opm is too gdlk to be in a category. also count, one piece is life fam, we about to see whats up with sanji.

I don't see why this is a problem. qcf.PP is an EX Hadoken, but qcf.PP is Chaotic Flame in Marvel. You never hear Marvel players say they got a super instead of their dash. Why would it be a problem in Street Fighter?

Mobility has never been an issue in Street Fighter re: dashing/running and execution. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
SkeletonWaiting.jpg

Haha.

Just a joke. I wish we had two-button dashes in every fighter to make execution easier and faster.

well in mean time i'm not sure which char. he covered but for my mains. well my old main

Kasumi - She one fastest in game, Damage is ok, but has almost no guaranteed damge so higher lvl players she hard to get damage with. Really unsafe but has good mix ups and gimmicks she kind of a all arounder type in game. Yes she may seem rush down, but she has ok spacing and can play the spacing or keep out game ok. She that B tier character that only seem OP to begineers

My Current main Phase 4 - she is a clone of Kasumi, but she is one of the top 5 hardest char. to play as in a high lvl with strict timing and just frame teleports to do any damage. More unsafe than Kasumi only by little bit more. There for she does a lot of damage. She is a High Risk High Reward character with only situational guarantee damage . She is by all means not a begineer/entry level char.

well in mean time i'm not sure which char. he covered but for my mains. well my old main

Kasumi - She one fastest in game, Damage is ok, but has almost no guaranteed damge so higher lvl players she hard to get damage with. Really unsafe but has good mix ups and gimmicks she kind of a all arounder type in game. Yes she may seem rush down, but she has ok spacing and can play the spacing or keep out game ok. She that B tier character that only seem OP to begineers

My Current main Phase 4 - she is a clone of Kasumi, but she is one of the top 5 hardest char. to play as in a high lvl with strict timing and just frame teleports to do any damage. More unsafe than Kasumi only by little bit more. There for she does a lot of damage. She is a High Risk High Reward character with only situational guarantee damage . She is by all means not a begineer/entry level char.
This is what Shin gave me so far:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190810904&postcount=4970

He wrote a bit much - I just wanted a sentence or so per character to give me an idea of where I should be looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom