• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tularensis

Neo Member
Loving BB now. Going through challenge mode like Q told me to so we can pick my character.

Love how fluid combos are. Fuck SFIV 1 frame links.

Glad to see more people getting in on BB. I'm usually on most nights so we should get in some sets when you find a character and become more comfortable with the systems. I'm always looking for more people to play in BB without all the fuckery that comes with the online lobbies.

Line_HTX

Nope, not anymore!

Need more spooky Ougi

=>

Agreed. Not enough closeup of her eyes.

tumblr_nwg153cMZy1skdbiao1_400.gif

Well, I'd love to play some VSav once in a while, on any platform really!
Sorry about not responding. I was playing 3S fightcade. Urien is a fun alternative when Alex hits a wall or someone tries to mirror match me. I periodically checked the VSav lobby, but it stayed at it's usual handful for more or less the whole night. Kinda hurts a little haha.
Roster size is super hard to get right, I feel.

The smaller you go, the greater the risk of potential players not finding one or more characters they find appealing (in both playstyle and design). You also get less character match-up variety which is a big part of the appeal of asymmetrical competitive games.

The bigger you go, the harder it is for players to learn the game, production costs go up and up, and it can be difficult to make more and more characters who work in the context of the fighting game system you've made yet are distinct from existing characters.

It also depends on the type of game you're making. An MvC4 with 16 characters at launch would seem crazy, whereas SFV launching with 16 characters feels just about perfect.
Random aside: it's funny how a team-based game allows more variety and creativity with any given number of characters (due to all the possible team permutations), but it almost paradoxically works against you too. Like, you just have to add one more character, and the number of possible new team combinations skyrockets, which is really awesome... but if your roster is too small, you'll see the same characters popping up so often that the smallness of the roster is more obvious and apparent- a double-edged sword.

You also have to take into account additional characters being added later. The launch roster needs to be big enough to get people in, but you need to leave some room to expand comfortably without becoming some hundred character monstrosity.
After SG at $15 and $60 SFV I think there is a lot of room to experiment with $30 titles using 8-12 characters. Tag based fighters definitely need at least twenty to avoid criticism.
goemon looks anime as fuck and opm is too gdlk to be in a category. also count, one piece is life fam, we about to see whats up with sanji.
OPM already belongs in the Dandy category. There are well known levels.

Dandy tier
S
A
B
C
D
Dragon Ball Super tier
Okay, BlazBlue owns.
Loving BB now. Going through challenge mode like Q told me to so we can pick my character.

Love how fluid combos are. Fuck SFIV 1 frame links.
Welcome to June 30th, 2009. That was a pretty decent time for anime even with OP Rachel and Lambda.

Tokido stuck with Akuma in USF4 when he wasn't top tier.

when was he not top/high tier?

The only moment I could think where he wasn't top tier was the initial release of AE, and it wasn't because Akuma was worse. It was because Yun and Yang got released and stomped everybody. Then add fei getting buffed IIRC

Not ignored I am compiling a listof short to show their game plans.

For example,

I wanted to say I appreciate you two writing up those quick "character in a nutshell" lists. So, thanks very much.

I recently won a $25 gift card from a holiday party at my job, and I'm looking to spend it on DOA Last Round for PS4. I hope to get some sessions in when I have time off of work. On a related note, hopefully most places I shop at accept American Express, because that's what the gift card is.

Nothing like a fighting game to remind that you're fucking shit.
one thing with blazblue lobbies to keep in mind, the color next to a persons name is their MMR. yellow, orange, and pink are the tougher players. Of course some people have tanked MMR for whatever reason, but if you avoid yellow/orange/pink you will have a better time as a newbie

Rhapsody

Banned
Got my Hibiki to 8th dan in a single day. Izayoi still sitting at 11th. Maybe I should work on ranking up my Rachel and Carl...

when was he not top/high tier?

The only moment I could think where he wasn't top tier was the initial release of AE, and it wasn't because Akuma was worse. It was because Yun and Yang got released and stomped everybody. Then add fei getting buffed IIRC

He was damn strong in AE - Infiltration top8'd with Akuma that year. Akuma's basically gotten nerfed every patch in SF4's history until Ultra's console release.

Which highlights his real low point: Ultra's arcade release. Akuma is a character with a lot of great, but finicky buttons. It worked because he had sweep as a backbone on top of which you got to pile all the really strong but matchup and/or situation dependent second stringers. Sweep was universally applicable - long, fast, pretty safe with pushback and demon cancel so you couldn't just focus it, and high threat value.

Now, take away the threat with quick rise, and remove demon cancel. Suddenly, sweep becomes pretty bad. It doesn't get rewards, and it's unsafe focus bait that ends your pressure because it's -9. Akuma lost his backbone footsies tool and his primary source of damage.

Ultra's console release did some minor repairs - st.hp became a solid button, but again matchup dependant, and his upclose combo game was enhanced. But he still lacked a backbone.

That backbone only came with the 1.04 patch that buffed fireball startup so he could start playing in the range Ryu normally occupied, and use cr.mk as the backbone of his new neutral game. Needless to say the character became very different because of the new desired range.

So some of you know I work as a freelancer for french websites/magazines and I only write about fighting games. I'm launching a new project still about fighting games but this time in english.

It's called FG Weekly and it's a weekly newsletter about fighting games. My goal is to find the more interesting and quality news/articles/posts/videos each week and send them to you directly in your mailbox.

I also intend (even if I didn't mention it on the website) to put in light the names of content creators so people can start to identify and remember them. Also I want to put varied things inside. It can be a well edited combo movie, a tournament result page like EH does or a big translation from japanese like SRK did a few days ago. And of course, various games (even dojins!) because that's cool.

I hope you'll enjoy it and will share it. :)

WarRock

So some of you know I work as a freelancer for french websites/magazines and I only write about fighting games. I'm launching a new project still about fighting games but this time in english.

It's called FG Weekly and it's a weekly newsletter about fighting games. My goal is to find the more interesting and quality news/articles/posts/videos each week and send them to you directly in your mailbox.

I also intend (even if I didn't mention it on the website) to put in light the names of content creators so people can start to identify and remember them. Also I want to put varied things inside. It can be a well edited combo movie, a tournament result page like EH does or a big translation from japanese like SRK did a few days ago. And of course, various games (even dojins!) because that's cool.

I'm more of a visit-the-website-every-week-guy than a newsletter guy, but this seems godlike. Always enjoyed your posts here =)

fgw-logo.png

http://fgweekly.com/

I don't have much to add, but this is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom