• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Feliz año nuevo!

tumblr_n6c7dc708v1slhkaxo1_500.gif

NYE party here we come! Heard this guy that's interested in me is going to be there. *bites lip*

Oooh lala...

Break a leg!

;D

SMT4 isnt bad but its a step back in a lot of ways from the GOAT Nocturne.

If that gives you a bad impression then i dont even know what to say at that point.
1) Three different world maps, all of which suck.
2) Combat is a snooze; spam AoE for Press Turn advantage once you know weaknesses.
3) Zero character development. Zero.
4) Sometimes, graphics look NES quality.
5) Plot is thin and weak.
6) Awful sidequests - where are half of these places?
7) Bullshit unpreventable deaths if you get a really bad dice roll.
8) Incredibly easy past the first dungeon (Minotaur was badass though, I was hooked).
9) An empty, shallow world of NPCs.
10) "Samurais" with cell phone wristbands are lame.

4/10 as a game. I was really disappointed by the time I got to the main overworld map, and it was all downhill from there.

2) Combat is a snooze; spam AoE for Press Turn advantage once you know weaknesses.
8) Incredibly easy past the first dungeon (Minotaur was badass though, I was hooked).

4/10 as a game. I was really disappointed by the time I got to the main overworld map, and it was all downhill from there.

A lot of those complaints are only specific to SMT4. I suggest you give the Digital Devil Saga duology a shot. It has an actual story and character development, no quests, real difficulty balance, and the press turn system isn't as abusable as it is in SMT4. The bullshit deaths are still there tho, but that's just a thing with this franchise. The setting is also bland and lifeless, but that's kind of the point.

I agree with a lot of that even though i really like the game. Like i said though its a big step back from Nocturne which has literally none of those issues. Well the plot is thing, but that's just Megaten in general which has fewer cutscenes and the lore is built through NPC/demon dailogue and the environments themselves.

Cheap quick death is a part of megaten though. Enemies have access to the same exact movepool/skills that you do as the player and can abuse them just like you can.

But yeah, DDS and Nocturne are much better games.

A lot of those complaints are only specific to SMT4. I suggest you give the Digital Devil Saga duology a shot. It has an actual story and character development, no quests, real difficulty balance, and the press turn system isn't as abusable as it is in SMT4. The bullshit deaths are still there tho, but that's just a thing with this franchise. The setting is also bland and lifeless, but that's kind of the point.
As someone who has a bit of an obsession with demons, SMT had me right at the gate. I don't know how they blundered it all so much.

I am in January in Persona 4, and it's a significantly better game. I don't even know how SMT fans can think SMTIV is better.

I don't see why a post-apocalyptic world has to be bland and lifeless. There's a LOT of stuff going on in SMTIV, but you usually hear about it instead of being involved in it. Or you walk in on a conversation and fight something. You're rarely a part of the potentially interesting world around you. It kind of reminded me of FFXII in that sense, another terrible RPG.

I agree with a lot of that even though i really like the game. Like i said though its a big step back from Nocturne which has literally none of those issues. Well the plot is thing, but that's just Megaten in general which has fewer cutscenes and the lore is built through NPC/demon dailogue and the environments themselves.

Cheap quick death is a part of megaten though. Enemies have access to the same exact movepool/skills that you do as the player and can abuse them just like you can.

But yeah, DDS and Nocturne are much better games.
Yeah, a lot of people tell me Nocturne is significantly better. I plan on giving it a shot at some point. Probably after I finish P4 and P5.

I don't mind a lack of cutscenes, I just didn't think there was much to the game's plot. No real twists or turns.

I can swallow the quick cheap deaths - I'm 30, so I have played plenty through plenty of BS RPG moments. :p

As someone who has a bit of an obsession with demons, SMT had me right at the gate. I don't know how they blundered it all so much.

I am in January in Persona 4, and it's a significantly better game. I don't even know how SMT fans can think SMTIV is better.

I don't see why a post-apocalyptic world has to be bland and lifeless. There's a LOT of stuff going on in SMTIV, but you usually hear about it instead of being involved in it. Or you walk in on a conversation and fight something. You're rarely a part of the potentially interesting world around you. It kind of reminded me of FFXII in that sense, another terrible RPG.

Most people agree that SMT4 was a weak entry in the series due to weird design choices and unnecessary call backs to previous SMT games. As for it being better than Persona 4, well that goes into the whole thing of Persona vs SMT and that's just bleh. Personally, I enjoyed Persona 4 more even though it did a lot of things I wasn't a fan of.

Being involved in the world around you is something that DDS does much better so, again, give it a shot. One thing that's different though is that you don't use demons to fight. Instead you turn into demon like forms which they refer to as Atma. They look pretty dope.

Dahbomb

SMT: Nocturne is the best because it contains the best Dante as a party member you can recruit.

9-SMT009.jpg

I like how half of these moves aren't even actual Dante moves.

I liked smt4, but the overworld and the barebones story definitely detracted. Still like persona a shitload more than smt and am really looking forward to #fe

A
Yeah, a lot of people tell me Nocturne is significantly better. I plan on giving it a shot at some point. Probably after I finish P4 and P5.

I don't mind a lack of cutscenes, I just didn't think there was much to the game's plot. No real twists or turns.

I can swallow the quick cheap deaths - I'm 30, so I have played plenty through plenty of BS RPG moments. :p

Yeah if you give Nocturne and DDS a try and still dislike it then the megaten franchise (outside of persona) is definitely not something you'd enjoy. You're not gonna get many plot twists and turns in Nocturne but DDS has a real interesting story and good characters. Nocturne's strongest points are the dungeon design, music, and the combat itself though i really enjoyed the story. Probably more than most.

Just don't let SMT4 be the game that decides your view on the franchise. Megaten is huge and generally has something for anyone.

Infinite

I liked smt4 but it has some flaws. Can't really argue with any of Karsts bullet points. The random encounters battles are a snooze only made difficult by the fact that you can be ambushed, have your weakness exploited, and the enemies then smirk and thus are invincible to anything you can do on your turn. K.

Although I liked the bait and switch the game tried with the samurais

Edit: I'm excited for #FE personally. I
Like RPGs so I'll play a good one especially one with decent production values and a distinct style.

Yeah if you give Nocturne and DDS a try and still dislike it then the megaten franchise (outside of persona) is definitely not something you'd enjoy. You're not gonna get many plot twists and turns in Nocturne but DDS has a real interesting story and good characters. Nocturne's strongest points are the dungeon design, music, and the combat itself though i really enjoyed the story. Probably more than most.

Just don't let SMT4 be the game that decides your view on the franchise. Megaten is huge and generally has something for anyone.
Oh, like I said, I'm open to SMTIII still.

Also, I liked Devil Survivor. I wanted to get all the endings, but oh my god is it painful to go through the game each time, even with the speed-up feature. I actually put Devil Survivor in my top 5 SRPGs.

That's a joke image, as far as I know
Oh, haha.

I liked smt4 but it has some flaws. Can't really argue with any of Karsts bullet points. The random encounters battles are a snooze only made difficult by the fact that you can be ambushed, have your weakness exploited, and the enemies then smirk and thus are invincible to anything you can do on your turn. K.

Although I liked the bait and switch the game tried with the samurais
Bait and switch?

Not a persona guy at all, but i really liked 2. I can see why people love P3/4 tho.

SMT: Nocturne is the best because it contains the best Dante as a party member you can recruit.

9-SMT009.jpg

I like how half of these moves aren't even actual Dante moves.

The best iteration of DMC2 Dante.

Infinite

Also, I liked Devil Survivor. I wanted to get all the endings, but oh my god is it painful to go through the game each time, even with the speed-up feature. I actually put Devil Survivor in my top 5 SRPGs.

Oh, haha.

Bait and switch?
The game basically made the player think they was in this generic medieval setting and your main character is a knight in some random order but then you go to Tokyo and it becomes an SMT game.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are fucking great. I love those games and their amazing OST. Definitely two of the best SRPG out there.

This is what I want. They can also skip putting a story mode in this. I feel like Persona 4 Arena's full potential was held back by Altus trying to make it a canon sequel to that game.

Yeah, it would've been nice to see some of the P1/2 characters in there, but lol at that happening. At least we got those P4DAN costumes :V.
Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax featuring Demi-Fiend from the Shin Megami Tensei Series.

Nah, I want a game with more motions that quarter circle. Also, none of that 2 button DP shit.
You have Persona, deal with it.

Never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom