• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
After using a stick you will never go back to pad, never.

I tried learning stick for ~6 months leading up to EVO one year. Sold that shit with the quickness afterwards and stuck with pad. Fuck a stick tbh. Dropping $100+ on a controller tho
tLQ8B.png

Nightii

Banned
As a mexican that grew playing arcade games a lot, I definitely miss sticks for fighters, and hope to one day get one, but damn they are expensive! There are too many other thing that need to be bought before I seriously decide to spend on one.

And huh, my Mii just showed up on the Wii U browser to wish me a happy new year.

Wallach

I've never really been that crazy about joysticks, though I really enjoy the buttons and general layout/feel compared to a controller. Once I picked up a Hitbox I stuck with that. So much easier for my brain to understand how to use, and I get to keep the fun buttons.

jerry1594

I don't know too much about Fightcade but is it used mostly with the arcade versions of games (or console versions if that's the only version of a particular game available)?
No console versions. It's all Final Burn Alpha emu which supports the CPS boards, MVS, and I'm assuming a couple others. This version is the same one grom the original GGPO, from like 2008. Almost nothing is changed from GGPO except a lot more games supported and some more features like replay recording and having your own profile. It could be Ponder was better able to maintain his service, being the creator of GGPO netcode. Although GGPO was offline a lot. Maybe my memory is poor but I found Fightcade a lot more playable when I first came across it, like in November of 2014. With newer updates it kind of felt worse. Stuff like everybody's ping being at like 248 or some random (usually high) value like that started happening more often.

No console versions. It's all Final Burn Alpha emu which supports the CPS boards, MVS, and I'm assuming a couple others. This version is the same one grom the original GGPO, from like 2008. Almost nothing is changed from GGPO except a lot more games supported and some more features like replay recording and having your own profile. It could be Ponder was better able to maintain his service, being the creator of GGPO netcode. Although GGPO was offline a lot. Maybe my memory is poor but I found Fightcade a lot more playable when I first came across it, like in November of 2014. With newer updates it kind of felt worse. Stuff like everybody's ping being at like 248 or some random (usually high) value like that started happening more often.
Thank you.

Man, I just played Rivals of Aether. WHOOO, that will be a fun game when it is released.

You did? Wow, I thought I was the only one who brought up that game in this thread.

Glad to see you liked it. I'm trash at Smash style fighters, but I like Rivals. It's a game that's well made, I think. I'd like to try and get better at it.

Alright, you know what the most frustrating thing about learning 3D fighters is? The goddamn idiotic movelists. Nyotengu has a list of 100 moves, and not ONE of them has a helpful name to tell me what it does. They should have names like "BACKFLIP" and "WIND CURRENT" instead of "Koboshi-Inago" and "Metsubushi". How about "FLY FORWARD" instead of "Karasu-Tobi"? These are all real examples.

Anyway, after spending about 2 hours with DoA tonight, I'm as lost as ever. Some questions:
1) If I hold back, I do this slow blocking shuffle. If I want to actually move, it looks like I have to double tap back. Is that the only way to start moving aside from sidestepping into a back walk?

2) Momiji and Nyotengu have this up-back punch move where they flip back. Is that pretty reliable for getting space in a real fight?

3) It looks like characters have different walk speeds, which I didn't know. It's looking like my play style will be very "bait and punish" oriented with good pokes thrown in. So who is best at bait+punish+poke, with good movement?

Expected a Bayonetta combo video.

You did? Wow, I thought I was the only one who brought up that game in this thread.

Glad to see you liked it. I'm trash at Smash style fighters, but I like Rivals. It's a game that's well made, I think. I'd like to try and get better at it.
I need to figure out how to get my Gamecube controller to work with it, because keyboarding is not for me.

When did Tekken get such badass cutscenes?!

All I remember from Tekken is stuff like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw3Get9w2s8
Are you sure that's not a leaked KoFXIV trailer?

Oh yeah, on that note, for KoF players: how do you decide who your middle character is? Obviously, your point character should be good without meter, and your anchor should be a meter burner, but what's the goal with the middle person?

ShinMaruku

Alright, you know what the most frustrating thing about learning 3D fighters is? The goddamn idiotic movelists. Nyotengu has a list of 100 moves, and not ONE of them has a helpful name to tell me what it does. They should have names like "BACKFLIP" and "WIND CURRENT" instead of "Koboshi-Inago" and "Metsubushi". How about "FLY FORWARD" instead of "Karasu-Tobi"? These are all real examples.

Anyway, after spending about 2 hours with DoA tonight, I'm as lost as ever. Some questions:
1) If I hold back, I do this slow blocking shuffle. If I want to actually move, it looks like I have to double tap back. Is that the only way to start moving aside from sidestepping into a back walk?

2) Momiji and Nyotengu have this up-back punch move where they flip back. Is that pretty reliable for getting space in a real fight?

3) It looks like characters have different walk speeds, which I didn't know. It's looking like my play style will be very "bait and punish" oriented with good pokes thrown in. So who is best at bait+punish+poke, with good movement?

Ok the thing with their names of the moves, what you said they are, is what the moves are, just in Japanese converted into Romanji.

Now for your questions:
1) double tapping back is indeed a backdash, however some characters have advanced movement options like Lady Kstoute and Momiji and Misty and Ayane, they all have back flips.

Ayane has a an advanced shuffle called the hajin back dash, Misty has a forward dash that can be cancled into a throw, a critical burst or a up kick. Now Momiji has the back flip and Tenku which is a forward flip that can lead into a ground slam with punch a knock back kick and a throw it's great for mixups. Phase 4 has teleports where she like Momiji's tenku they end in punch, kick or throw, those are all chinfu. Lady Kstout'es back flip can be turned into a charge that can splat people from range it's very useful if you can catch somebody off guard, if they block or hold, well you in trouble.

2) Back flips are good for space then they also have advanced forward dashes with fly with Lady Kstoute. Momiji has Tenku that can also be charged as an air dash which can end in a power blow. She is a jet plane which is awesome.

3) Walk speed is about the same with their attack speed of course Ayane,Misty and Christie are the fastest but remember some attacks can better slow the pace of you trying to move up, better to dash if you can. For Poke, bait and punish, Lady Kstoute is more for that due to her slower moves and tricky movement, so is Momiji with the range on her best attacks and her safety, Ayane is all about whiff punishing because she has moves that crush and those lead into launchers and her damaging combos, she also has great throws. Momiji and Lady Kstoute also have great throws too, and with a great throw punish you can set them up pretty well since either it puts them back, or in the air for you to follow up or straight on their faces. Ayane too can do that and she gets deadlier with a wall with you.

I need to figure out how to get my Gamecube controller to work with it, because keyboarding is not for me.

You may want to consult the Rivals of Aether official forums, or the Rivals of Aether reddit for more info on that. They'll have info on that.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to try a PS4 controller. I like how in the control settings for Rivals, all the shoulder buttons are set to dodge by default. However, you can have dedicated "short hop" and "full jump" buttons, which I think is a really cool feature. Did any of the Smash games have this?

WarRock

PC GGPO is really strange. I've put hundreds of hours into SG and it's not uncommon for me to fight a 250 ping opponent (or someone literally from Japan) without a single rollback at a frame delay setting of 1 or 2. PC GGPO and fightcade on the other hand usually gives me rollbacks as soon as I hit a ping of 150 or so, but it's still pretty good.

So strange
Games in Fightcade weren't built for netplay, much less rollback netcode. There are tons of graphic glitches in 3S if rollbacks happens.

Man, I just played Rivals of Aether. WHOOO, that will be a fun game when it is released.
Wait, it's not released yet?
Not a Smash fan but there are some really cool character mechanics in this, the Super Best Friends video sold me on it. I also enjoyed that PC Smash these guys did more than the actual Smash games for some reason, the controls feel better.

shaowebb

We kssed!

I bumped him with my elbow, gave him a smile and asked him what he was waiting for. It was hot. I always get what I want in the end. :)

He got my number!

Atta girl. Take the lead in life. You can't wait for others to clue in on what you want outta life. You gotta be honest about yourself to em to get the most happiness outta life. Happy New Year. I'm glad to hear you took the initiative and made an impact.

Ok the thing with their names of the moves, what you said they are, is what the moves are, just in Japanese converted into Romanji.

Now for your questions:
1) double tapping back is indeed a backdash, however some characters have advanced movement options like Lady Kstoute and Momiji and Misty and Ayane, they all have back flips.

Ayane has a an advanced shuffle called the hajin back dash, Misty has a forward dash that can be cancled into a throw, a critical burst or a up kick. Now Momiji has the back flip and Tenku which is a forward flip that can lead into a ground slam with punch a knock back kick and a throw it's great for mixups. Phase 4 has teleports where she like Momiji's tenku they end in punch, kick or throw, those are all chinfu. Lady Kstout'es back flip can be turned into a charge that can splat people from range it's very useful if you can catch somebody off guard, if they block or hold, well you in trouble.

2) Back flips are good for space then they also have advanced forward dashes with fly with Lady Kstoute. Momiji has Tenku that can also be charged as an air dash which can end in a power blow. She is a jet plane which is awesome.

3) Walk speed is about the same with their attack speed of course Ayane,Misty and Christie are the fastest but remember some attacks can better slow the pace of you trying to move up, better to dash if you can. For Poke, bait and punish, Lady Kstoute is more for that due to her slower moves and tricky movement, so is Momiji with the range on her best attacks and her safety, Ayane is all about whiff punishing because she has moves that crush and those lead into launchers and her damaging combos, she also has great throws. Momiji and Lady Kstoute also have great throws too, and with a great throw punish you can set them up pretty well since either it puts them back, or in the air for you to follow up or straight on their faces. Ayane too can do that and she gets deadlier with a wall with you.
Misty? Chinfu?

Who else has advanced movement options.

Untranslated, long novelists are dumb.

You may want to consult the Rivals of Aether official forums, or the Rivals of Aether reddit for more info on that. They'll have info on that.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to try a PS4 controller. I like how in the control settings for Rivals, all the shoulder buttons are set to dodge by default. However, you can have dedicated "short hop" and "full jump" buttons, which I think is a really cool feature. Did any of the Smash games have this?
It's a first. I will check the forums.

Games in Fightcade weren't built for netplay, much less rollback netcode. There are tons of graphic glitches in 3S if rollbacks happens.

Wait, it's not released yet?
Not a Smash fan but there are some really cool character mechanics in this, the Super Best Friends video sold me on it. I also enjoyed that PC Smash these guys did more than the actual Smash games for some reason, the controls feel better.
You can get early access on Steam.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The feelin' when you drop your BnB combo:
CXnpPYHUoAAXkw3.jpg

I am a pad player, and this is never a problem for me (nor do I really understand how other people wind up getting them).

It's never been a problem with me either. If anyone's getting blisters they might want to try not thumbing their stick as hard since my guess is that there's unnecessary pressure that's leading to the blisters.

It's never been a problem with me either. If anyone's getting blisters they might want to try not thumbing their stick as hard since my guess is that there's unnecessary pressure that's leading to the blisters.

You don't get blisters from sticks.

I am a pad player, and this is never a problem for me (nor do I really understand how other people wind up getting them).

I do motions and movement with the tip of my thumb. There's a mark on the tip of my thumb right now. Playing a game like Blaz Blue increases thumb digging eleven times.

Korigama

My thumb hurts a bit if I play on the DS4's d-pad for too long.

I should stop mashing
I do motions and movement with the tip of my thumb. There's a mark on the tip of my thumb right now. Playing a game like Blaz Blue increases thumb digging eleven times.
Hmm, based on the responses so far, it might have something to do with...
Stop playing on a Dualshock, or stop using the middle of the thumb to do motions!
...This for me, though I haven't had the issue with non-DualShock controllers either. I generally don't pay much mind to how I do inputs, but that seems about right as to how I use the D-pad.

Line_HTX

I don't know how much you can narrow DoA's movelists down to practical use, but at least with Tekken I do not have to know everything just to be flashy. I just have to make sure I'm safe enough and sometimes take a risk with big lows that take at least 20 frames.

ShinMaruku

I don't know how much you can narrow DoA's movelists down to practical use, but at least with Tekken I do not have to know everything just to be flashy. I just have to make sure I'm safe enough and sometimes take a risk with big lows that take at least 20 frames.

Depends on the characters, some moves are only good to set up stun or launch

Getting into Blaz Blue has forced me to acknowledge number pad style input as I read BB DS wiki.

Getting used to seeing things like 2A or 8D, but it still takes me a bit. It just doesn't feel intuitive but maybe it's because it's new to me.

Line_HTX

Getting into Blaz Blue has forced me to acknowledge number pad style input as I read BB DS wiki.

Getting used to seeing things like 2A or 8D, but it still takes me a bit. It just doesn't feel intuitive but maybe it's because it's new to me.

Eventually you'll get used to seeing supers like HCB-F be 632146(C or D).

=D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom