• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is obnoxious

There is no reason to force people to have to scroll down the equivalent of 4 or 5 post just for 1 big pointless picture when you could have just typed. I call kasumi that
fixing it is up to shouta now, as far as I know. Shin isn't about that quote or spoiler life, much less that sfw posting life
Thoughts on playing multiple fighters? Attention is divided between SFIV and BBCPEX.
Nothing wrong with that, most people who do it recommend it. The problem for me is sticking to games, I love the first month of a new fighting game but I don't stick to almost all of them.

Thoughts on playing multiple fighters? Attention is divided between SFIV and BBCPEX.

Don't like it. If I play a fighter I go in hard. Real obsessed, very competitive. High expectations. If I'm playing a game at a high level I do not have fun playing other games at a lower level, it's not stimulating or rewarding.

Numb

Sticking to them is the hard part. Harder when you want to move on to a newer one too if you play multiple.
Playing only one game 100% of the time seems weird most of the time. Unless pro.

Doomshine

Misty? Chinfu?

Who else has advanced movement options.

Untranslated, long novelists are dumb.

In 3d fighters people usually just refer to moves by their notation and not their names.

Yeah, the "let's just list a bunch of combos as a movelist" thing is exactly one of the main reasons I prefer 2d fighters.

What do you mean by combos? Some games list a few example combos at the end, but everything else is just moves. Some games list every part of a string as a separate move which is a little excessive maybe, but you could make the argument that they are separate moves.

I play lots of fighters at once. Anything I can get my hands on.

In 3d fighters people usually just refer to moves by their notation and not their names.

What do you mean by combos? Some games list a few example combos at the end, but everything else is just moves. Some games list every part of a string as a separate move which is a little excessive maybe, but you could make the argument that they are separate moves.
Yeah, but that doesn't help me when going through a movelist.

It's asinine to list every "normal" move a character has. Only special characteristics should be featured.

I tried out DOALR the other day and went to move list and the move list was nothing but combos. P P P K;etc

Numb

Those are chains or strings.They are alot of them in 3D fighters. Close thing to them is target combos i think.

ShinMaruku

I tried out DOALR the other day and went to move list and the move list was nothing but combos. P P P K;etc

Combos are a chain of moves like for example you have 236 T then 4p 6ppk P+K, T, Now that's one combo. Another combo would be 6P 4K P+K, K P+K, T. And so on and so forth.

You cannot think of them in terms like 2D games. completely different.

ShinMaruku

I think stimulaitng different area's of the brain to open up all other avenues. Also you seen how sf4 warped some people's thinking.

Tornix

My thought is they have the sunk cost fallacy where they don't want to 'waste' time in trying something else.

I can see that with some of my locals. They play USF4 and every time a new game drops they'll be on it for a couple weeks then go right back.

Tripon

My thought is they have the sunk cost fallacy where they don't want to 'waste' time in trying something else.
Eh, that should only matter when you are serious enough to attend tournaments and placing high. But like, maybe 0.1% of us are at that level.

Even then, there should be nothing stopping you to casually pick up a game and play. You should try out different games in a genre, its like telling a person they shouldn't try Witcher 3 just because they love the Fallout series so much.

Doomshine

It's asinine to list every "normal" move a character has. Only special characteristics should be featured.

Well that's the problem, you can't really call them normals or special moves. In a sense, they are both.

Those are strings, not combos.

I'm going to use Tekken as an example here: there are natural combos (NC) and natural counterhit combos (NCC). For example, Law has this 3 hit string b+1,2,1. The first two hits are NC which means that if the first one connects the second is guaranteed no matter what. The entire string however is NCC, which means that if the first hit is a counterhit then all 3 are guaranteed.

Kalamari

Playing multiple games requires some serious commitment, especially if you want to be competitive. But if you have the opportunity (and time/money), play as many as you like, your learning will transfer over to other games.

ShinMaruku

I can see that with some of my locals. They play USF4 and every time a new game drops they'll be on it for a couple weeks then go right back.

Eh, that should only matter when you are serious enough to attend tournaments and placing high. But like, maybe 0.1% of us are at that level.

Even then, there should be nothing stopping you to casually pick up a game and play. You should try out different games in a genre, its like telling a person they shouldn't try Witcher 3 just because they love the Fallout series so much.

This is why it's the sunk cost fallacy, it really makes no sense, but most humans are not logical actors.

Well that's the problem, you can't really call them normals or special moves. In a sense, they are both.

Those are strings, not combos.

I'm going to use Tekken as an example here: there are natural combos (NC) and natural counterhit combos (NCC). For example, Law has this 3 hit string b+1,2,1. The first two hits are NC which means that if the first one connects the second is guaranteed no matter what. The entire string however is NCC, which means that if the first hit is a counterhit then all 3 are guaranteed.
There are moves that define a character, and moves that everyone has. Everyone has an "A" button that's a punch. You don't need to list that in the same branch as a 9A that causes the character to warp forward. If you don't see this as a problem, it's probably a problem with you, because for those who haven't been playing 3D fighters for generations, it sucks.

I play fighting games to compete. Playing them at a high level is the most fun I have in the genre. My expectation is to play at level high enough to place at a major tournament. Anything less isn't acceptable. Playing a game casually isn't fun and takes time and resources away from my main game. I think this is rational.

I play fighting games to compete. Playing them at a high level is the most fun I have in the genre. My expectation is to play at level high enough to place at a major tournament. Anything less isn't acceptable. Playing a game casually isn't fun and takes time and resources away from my main game. I think this is rational.

I understand this completely.

Totally rational, man. You're a high-level competitor, so you have different standards from me.

I will try out new stuff when it first comes out though. I will definitely buy SF V and Tekken 7 this year. However once I get past the early level of play and a real investment is required to move forward I am done.

ShinMaruku

I am still not sure why people are trying to interpret DOA through a Street Fighter filter.

Exactly why I laughed at people thinking that soft ban was going to work to get more recognition. Just won't happen.

It won't happen.

It is also why I struggle in sf, I don't have that as a filter. but trying to build a vocaubulary, but I know it's very difficult for some to see it where I am and that is fine.

There are moves that define a character, and moves that everyone has. Everyone has an "A" button that's a punch. You don't need to list that in the same branch as a 9A that causes the character to warp forward. If you don't see this as a problem, it's probably a problem with you, because for those who haven't been playing 3D fighters for generations, it sucks.

Well they have different frame data. IDK which 3D games have in game frame data but ours do.

Dahbomb

There's no distinction between normals and specials in a 3D game.

Universal moves are not listed so someone's d+2 isn't listed unless it's something different from everyone else.

Also I am pretty sure for a lot of characters just regular 1 or 2 isn't listed. Like for Devil Jin you will probably start the list with 1,1,2.

The 3D games basically have a lot of command normals and target combos.

There's no distinction between normals and specials in a 3D game.

Universal moves are not listed so someone's d+2 isn't listed unless it's something different from everyone else.

Also I am pretty sure for a lot of characters just regular 1 or 2 isn't listed. Like for Devil Jin you will probably start the list with 1,1,2.

The 3D games basically have a lot of command normals and target combos.
Right, and I'm saying this is bad.

Edit: Actually ,doesn't SC?

Block on wakeup.

How is that relevant?

Do you consider MKX to be a "3D" game?

I would call it a hybrid. The moves have a lot of the function of a 3D fighter but it's on a 2D plane with 2D style special moves. My point is because our normal attacks and strings are like a 3D fighting game we do our move lists like a 3D fighting game, meaning every it's a big list of strings. It makes sense because we have frame data so you would want the frame data for each part of the string.

I would call it a hybrid. The moves have a lot of the function of a 3D fighter but it's on a 2D plane with 2D style special moves. My point is because our normal attacks and strings are like a 3D fighting game we do our move lists like a 3D fighting game, meaning every it's a big list of strings. It makes sense because we have frame data so you would want the frame data for each part of the string.
BUT, in MKX, you have tabs for the different moves. That's all I want. Notable moves separated from normal ones.

I actually really like MKX's movelist system.

Dahbomb

Right, and I'm saying this is bad.

Edit: Actually ,doesn't SC?
For there to be a distinction there needs to be a distinct mechanical difference between the two. In 2D games normals cancel into specials and specials into supers (in the broad sense). There's no equivalent to that in 3D games.

SC has supers.

BUT, in MKX, you have tabs for the different moves. That's all I want. Notable moves separated from normal ones.

I actually really like MKX's movelist system.

True but that's because we have special moves.

We also don't have a million moves like traditional 3D fighters. More like 6 or so strings per character.

If Hakumen has more than 4 lit orbs, he can throw that laser sword projectile.

For there to be a distinction there needs to be a distinct mechanical difference between the two. In 2D games normals cancel into specials and specials into supers (in the broad sense). There's no equivalent to that in 3D games.

SC has supers.
What's the mechanical difference between normals and specials in MKX?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want to be competitive so maybe I should stick to one game. :(

I juggle a ton.

It's healthy for learning. Stuff in one game that is dominate in one game that might not be common in another will help you vs it. It helps you get a better understanding of how characters can work as well and their gameplans

In MKX special moves can be canceled into it from a normal attack or combo. You also build meter from using them and they have other special properties like projectiles cannot be broken.

Osu, some normals dont cancel into specials.
Some normals cancel into other normals. ;-)

I don't know I don't play MKX.
I don't think there is one.

If it helps, think of the separation as being between "typical" moves and "noteworthy" moves, instead of "normal" and "special".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom