• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that's true there are exceptions like uppercuts, sweeps and the end of strings. There's a couple exceptions the other way too, like unblockable special moves.

Yes that's true there are exceptions like uppercuts, sweeps and the end of strings. Those are exceptions with the normal attacks not special moves though. Every special move can be canceled into.
True.

Still, I think 3D fighters could create a separate list of "noteworthy" moves. Stuff that distinguishes a character. For example, I think Soul Calibur gives each "stance" a character can have its own page. That's a great idea to help new players.

Karst what the hell is up with your meter and why don't you have one like everyone else?
Hakumen has no specials innately. He has to burn meter for all of them. The little orbs that keep lighting up below my character are my meter.

Hakumen's meter fills automatically over time. It also fills in the normal ways, so Hakumen benefits from playing a slow spacing game at the start until he can get enough meter to do serious damage with his tools.

ShinMaruku

DOA5 does do that, they have stance change notations for certain moves, they have specials, they have parries and other things.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Karst what the hell is up with your meter and why don't you have one like everyone else?

Okay. :)

Hakumen has a unique meter where he gains meter passively over time as well as the normal ways. All his special attacks drain a set amount of orbs from it. The rewarding part of this is his specials can cancel into each other.

Karst what the hell is up with your meter and why don't you have one like everyone else
Hakumens special moves use up various amounts of meter, the standard one wouldn't work for him based on the amount used per move and how its generated. Same reason why Jin has quarter segments on his super meter because he had EX versions of some of his specials.

True.

Still, I think 3D fighters could create a separate list of "noteworthy" moves. Stuff that distinguishes a character. For example, I think Soul Calibur gives each "stance" a character can have its own page. That's a great idea to help new players.

SCV had a "key moves" list, where they picked out about five moves and gave a brief explanation on how they are useful to the character's basic playstyle. I really loved this since it helped get me started without fumbling through the entire movelist to find the good stuff.

Tekken movelists are pretty bad. Lots of missing moves (because either they're hidden special moves, or they just plain forget) and you won't find basic options like all of the ways to get off the ground anywhere in the game. Tekken Revolution has somewhat improved this by putting moves with notable properties at the top of the movelist, but a lot more work needs to be done. The combo counter being kind of broken irks me so much.

Dahbomb

Yeah I am totally for better parsing of moves in 3D games.

They can parse by launchers/juggle starters, side step moves, combo strings, stance moves etc.

If only I knew your super beat mine. :-(

I would have won if this was BBCF. :p

Last one man, dinner is here.

Yeah I am totally for better parsing of moves in 3D games.

They can parse by launchers/juggle starters, side step moves, combo strings, stance moves etc.
That's literally all I've been asking for. :p

don't VF and Tekken highlight important moves in the movelists? or am I confusing it with something else?

I don't really know how else 3D movelists should be ordered, outside of maybe providing tabs for certain things. Most of the new games I've played already point out the important combo starters, and I don't know how a movelist would explain a character's basic gameplan, because just putting asterisks next to the 6 moves you want to use isn't necessarily going to be helpful without context.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Just bought Xrd and the fight commander 4. Might as well since SF4 is dead to me and marvel is slowly becoming pre-golden age melee.

Get on that, Yams!

Also, I think Hakumen's 214A is a ridiculously bad special. I have never seen it win an exchange in the neutral. :-(

Cindi, any questions from our set?

Probably about 4 hours until I'm back home. Missing Japan already. If you guys are playing Cpex I'll relearn it so I can join in. So damn excited for console cf, wish it would hurry

Rhapsody

Banned
While I'm not done with BBCPEX, I'm sort of done with it as far as netplay goes. I'll definitely play people that request 1 on 1 games though if they're learning. With school starting up again though, I don't think I can have the time to just do lobbies.

Xrd, I'll get back on that when it's closer to a release date. I'm a lot worse at the game now, and I'm not just saying that lol

Tularensis

Neo Member
Happy New Year FGC Gaf! Last night I got drunk, came home and played some ranked on Ultra. Surprisingly enough, I win (a lot) more in IV when I stop thinking. Low/intermediate level SFIV is really fucking weird and makes me miss the shit out of SFV and BB.

Malice215

Which Soul Calibur was considered the strongest competitively?

In terms of numbers, I would say SCV. It had a ton of comp in its first year, a bunch of people for it at EVO, Namco throwing money at it when it was at MLG for 3 events. It also had a ton of Japanese players for the game when there hasn't been much of a scene for the game since SC3AE. An now we're going into 2016 and there's still events for the game.

I wish I knew what the numbers were for SC2 back in the day, but it was helped by Tekken 4 turning out the way that it did. And when SC2HD released, it only got play for a little bit in Cali by a few people, so I doubt there's many people who really enjoy competing in the game. Even with SC4's problems, it still wasn't bad enough to go back to SC2.

For SC4, the scene was 1/4 the size of the scene for SCV, and competition was pretty much dead once EVO 2009 and Nationals were over except on the east coast and France. But the people who stuck around were really competitive at the game and dedicated to it. I miss those days.

SC usually breaks out the key moves, stances, and moves out of stance for each character. In SCV, they went further by offering explanations in the training mode for new players which I'm sure helped because a bunch of newer players still compete in the game, on top of the game being simplified overall.

don't VF and Tekken highlight important moves in the movelists? or am I confusing it with something else?

I don't really know how else 3D movelists should be ordered, outside of maybe providing tabs for certain things. Most of the new games I've played already point out the important combo starters, and I don't know how a movelist would explain a character's basic gameplan, because just putting asterisks next to the 6 moves you want to use isn't necessarily going to be helpful without context.

I think VF is fine in how moves are ordered, but there's so much to the game that it may be overwhelming for someone new unless you know how to approach it, or you have other people to play and learn from.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
how have you decided what an important move is?

if youre going to separate it, allow something meaningful like "just show me circulars" or "mids" or "-2 to -7" etc

ShinMaruku

Personally I see nothing wrong with how moves are orgianized due to how they can come out different due to the state of the opponent is when you do them.

Rhapsody

Banned
Where have you been playing cf? I'm sad I can't anymore

Puente Hills Mall. Been practicing a ton there. I feel like I'm one of the best as far as the mid-tier players go. There's still a nasty wall to climb to reach and keep up with the top players here, but I'm slowly figuring more out.

I've been putting off Rachel since I need to spend a day and figure out proper neutral for her in CF. Carl, I could easily go back to but haven't. Most of my games accumulated are with Izayoi and Hibiki, so I've been busy ranking them up. I'm focusing more on Hibiki however. Playing Izayoi feels like playing Vergil in a lot of ways. So many dumb things I can do, but I don't think I'll be learning matchups properly as I would with Hibiki lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom