• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually had a fun time playing Ultra with DeeJay the last couple of days. He's actually got some great anti air moves but the one character I have trouble against is Ken because of his speed.

Tornix

i feel like i was getting jabbed out of anything that wasn't an air approach. yea, she's got double overheads, according to this i-no video q posted, so hopefully i can incorporate that into my game soon

Learn FDC for them great double overhead/cross overs :)

well shit. ive been looking for steady buddies to play. you guys on pc or psn?

PS4 and PC (memory leaks kill me atm tho).

PS4: TornixSRK
Steam: Tornix

MechaX

thats b/c another game is calling to you

Yeah but Revelator and SFV come out in few months.

She has quite the execution requirement.

Also Juri is unique in the dames that she requires thorough use of your noodle.
One of you will misread that and this is for you. :E

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing claw finger shit trying to hold fireball charges and whatnot. I need to see if there are better button configs I should be using.

Tularensis

Neo Member
I know most people here are deep in the Xrd grind, but does anyone here (in the US) still play Ultra on steam? I need some sets and I just can't deal with ranked anymore today. I'm forcing myself to play it specifically to learn how to deal with high risk and borderline stupid gameplay, as I'm usually too ignorant of the set ups, or too surprised at those decision to make the easy punish. It's basically like a deer in the headlights a lot of the time. I just want a regular old set without all the ranked fuckery, along with some gameplay critiques. I'll probably join in on Xrd tonight though. I've been itching to learn Axl.

Tornix

I know most people here are deep in the Xrd grind, but does anyone here (in the US) still play Ultra on steam? I need some sets and I just can't deal with ranked anymore today. I'm forcing myself to play it specifically to learn how to deal with high risk and borderline stupid gameplay, as I'm usually too ignorant of the set ups, or too surprised at those decision to make the easy punish. It's basically like a deer in the headlights a lot of the time. I just want a regular old set without all the ranked fuckery, along with some gameplay critiques. I'll probably join in on Xrd tonight though. I've been itching to learn Axl.

I'm an Axl main so I may be able to help there. I'll join the room tonight if I can pry myself from Yakuza 5.

ShinMaruku

Yeah, I'm pretty much doing claw finger shit trying to hold fireball charges and whatnot. I need to see if there are better button configs I should be using.

Generally I keep the LK stored and only store the others for zoning.

Why does Blackule think GGXRD has too many mechanics? Feels like nothing compared to BB.

game feels jam packed to the brim with mechanics. I have BB downloaded but haven't played it yet.
Probably gonna stay that way tbh

Can't he basically fadc anywhere he wants in guilty gear?

basically lol, I feel like the same shit people complain about in SFIV is in this game but intensified.

SRK -> block? -> RC to safety/mixup
SRK -> whiff? -> Burst if they try to punish
Complain about the vortex? Welp

jbhmmm.png

. . . it feels so good having a bnb
I find it seriously upsetting when I don't have one.

No online. Get the Final Showdown release from PSN instead. That one has online play and it's pretty nice.
Oh okay, so they released a second version with online? How is the netcode?

We have a Revelator release date?

game feels jam packed to the brim with mechanics. I have BB downloaded but haven't played it yet.
Probably gonna stay that way tbh

Yeah, if you think Xrd has too many mechanics than BB is going to be rough.
going through arcade a few times to practice this bnb has resulted in enough points to unlock sin

Congrats. Now you can be a MonHun player too.
We have a Revelator release date?

All we know is that it's coming out in spring.

Those who are thinking of an FC4, it was a great controller at first but now I have trouble inputting srk movement on the left side of the screen. Right side is fine. The right part of the d-pad has wear and is more soft even after two months of use. While a great controller I'm not sure if it's worth it if it wears out this fast. Another reason for me to move to stick.

What's the most complicated mechanic that's not in Xrd? Being able to tech a throw?

There's something about a character dashing in front of you, freezing the screen, then grabbing you that feels kinda stupid tbh. It's like you know it's coming but you're pretty much screwed when the screen freezes
unless you can YRC back?

it's like every character has a kara demon

Tularensis

Neo Member
Going from SF/KOF style fgs to anime is crazy with all the additional mechanics. When I was first learning BB I remember being overwhelmed with all the universal bullshit it had, and I basically ignored most of them. After awhile of getting stomped, I started slowly adding them to my game as the situations demanded. I think after awhile, most of the mechanics will naturally start to click.

I'm an Axl main so I may be able to help there. I'll join the room tonight if I can pry myself from Yakuza 5.

Thanks for the help. Once I'm done raging at Ultra I'll hit up Xrd and start grinding out some Axl basics.

ShinMaruku

There's something about a character dashing in front of you, freezing the screen, then grabbing you that feels kinda stupid tbh. It's like you know it's coming but you're pretty much screwed when the screen freezes
unless you can YRC back?

I feel that mess of info will become less arcane more time you put into it. But if you think it's all stupid you may learn slower.

rookiejet

unless you can YRC back?

you can still press buttons you know? it's motions that become a little difficult in the freeze. also yes you can yrc back to screw whatever they were planning too

Essay

Hey guys, the Vampire Savior community is having an open tournament on PSN tonight.
The winner gets a 20$ psn card! So if you have DS Ressurection please join us!
You can register here: challonge.com/vsavpsn

Thanks for posting this! I always miss sign up for these, but it looks like this one doesn't start until 8

Edit: 8PM EST according to the challonge

Rhapsody

Banned
unless you can YRC back?

Just jump. You're not screwed when the screen freezes.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yea I just figured that out. Are jumps throw invincible at the start? So if Sol is trying to tick command throw I can just jump it if I know it's coming?

Yeah, they can't be thrown on jump startup. You also can't be thrown 6 frames after exiting hitstun, 5 for exiting blockstun.

Kumubou

Oh okay, so they released a second version with online? How is the netcode?
It's actually the third major revision, but the second one (VF5:R) never got a home release.

The netplay is better than most delay-based games (and I suspect that the game does not fully enforce synchronization, as you will see some weird animation artifacts from time to time online). It's not amazing, but it's better than SF4 or ArcSys games. I would say it's roughly on par with TTT2 (which is more impressive for VF as it doesn't have any artificial input delay like Tekken does). The generous buffering helps a fair bit.

I find it seriously upsetting when I don't have one.

it only annoys me after i feel i've gotten enough of a grasp of a character to worry about what to do after i can land a hit. when landing a hit gets me punished it's time to find a bnb

Congrats. Now you can be a MonHun player too.

never played one so maybe i'll try him out after i mess around with a few other characters

Faultless Defense Cancel. You kara-cancel her j.D into FD. With it you can hoverdash -> cross over, do double overheads & instant overheads.

Here's a tutorial https://youtu.be/79IaUVE5LmU?t=6m21s

Mynus and U-zen use it a lot in their play.

looks more advanced than i'll need for the foreseeable future lol

hypernima

Banned
I play it enough to have gotten Top 16 at NEC last month. :O

Helps that it's the biggest fighter in my city alongside Smash right now, with 20+ showing up when we plan a tournament at our weeklies.

I have it on both. If you ever want to play just let me know.

Everything I mentioned is on PS3 with the exception of Arcana Heart 3 Love Max which I own for BOTH PS3 and PC since PC did not have region locked online.

steam: malcolmsex
psn: haveasadcumbb

These posts are annoying.

ah you think everythings annoying bruh, i literally kept posting for games in the xrd thread last year to nothing, so yea, i would be surprised that people on gaf are still playing. it's not heavily advertised whenever i lurk.

Learn FDC for them great double overhead/cross overs :)

PS4 and PC (memory leaks kill me atm tho).

PS4: TornixSRK
Steam: Tornix

added

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why does Blackule think GGXRD has too many mechanics? Feels like nothing compared to BB.

Because, coming from #Reload/^Core, XXX does add more mechanics than XX had.

Like XX only had Roman Cancels, Burst, and Faultless Defense. (Oh and that Gold FD that ^Core added). Now you have that one mechanic that is like a throw-escape a la BB but is an Advancing Guard thing, Roman Cancel changes, insta-block, etc.

Tornix

Instant blocking was in older GG games and don't forget AC added EX moves.

looks more advanced than i'll need for the foreseeable future lol

The plink method is really easy, doesn't take long to learn. It's the hold method that's hard and I still can't do it consistently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instant blocking was in older GG games and don't forget AC added EX moves.

You mean that last-second block that Blazblue has? I can't recall that being in the XX series. But my point is more that they've thrown various systems in in a post-Blazblue world. That I can't blame people for being confused by the various systems, double-so since XX was pretty "straight-forward" with minimal systems.

Games in Fightcade weren't built for netplay, much less rollback netcode. There are tons of graphic glitches in 3S if rollbacks happens.
I guess that must be it.
I wish every fighting game had SG's godlike netcode so I could get bodied by you guys.
Maybe after 2020 when everyone else pulls their heads out of the ground.
At my local last night the only method of control was stick.

I use a pad (FC4).

It got better the more games I got in but at first it was awful. But by the end of the night, I had won 6-7 fights with a controller that isn't my primary method of control by just sticking with the basics.

It felt really good. One dude in particular, who played Cody, was salty. But I've played so much better Cody's online. lol At first he's treating me like I don't know what I'm doing because I tell him I don't play stick. He's like that's cute, let's play. And then I lost to him because I'm having input issues, and then he mentions that "you know there's an SFV, right?", and I'm like,"yeah I know, can't wait" and he's shocked I know about SFV for whatever reason. Then I'm annoyed that he thinks I don't know SFV is a thing and preceded to beat his ass 4-0. When I was excited I could pull off my combos with a stick he got so salty. The look on his face was real defeat.

Felt good and makes me want to learn stick.
Priceless

If only his bros were there. You could frame the picture of their reactions afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom