• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

You can learn fundamentals in SFIV that you can apply to SFV, however, you have to limit your play style in my experience. Limit use of focus attacks, little to no backdashing to break yourself out of the habit of relying on invincible back dashes, no jumping like a fucking mad man when you get a knockdown, no crouch teching, etc. At least, that's what I had to do before I felt I was making progress in prepping for SFV by playing SFIV.

It'll make your play in SFIV seem hella scrubby.

You can learn fundamentals in SFIV that you can apply to SFV, however, you have to limit your play style in my experience. Limit use of focus attacks, little to no backdashing to break yourself out of the habit of relying on invincible back dashes, no jumping like a fucking mad man when you get a knockdown, no crouch teching, etc. At least, that's what I had to do before I felt I was making progress in prepping for SFV by playing SFIV.

It'll make your play in SFIV seem hella scrubby.

Eh. I've been to play SFV fine coming from only really playing SFIV. Adjusting to there not being a focus attack shouldn't take long. After getting counter hit'd once out of a backdash should make you realize it doesn't work either. My plinking turned to double tapping and it's worked out fine. Idk, I don't see the point of playing a game pretending it's another game and not taking advantage of it's system mechanics because it might create bad habits in a different game.

Tripon

Eh. I've been to play SFV fine coming from only really playing SFIV. Adjusting to there not being a focus attack shouldn't take long. After getting counter hit'd once out of a backdash should make you realize it doesn't work either. My plinking turned to double tapping and it's worked out fine. Idk, I don't see the point of playing a game pretending it's another game and not taking advantage of it's system mechanics because it might create bad habits in a different game.
It's not another game, its every game that isn't SFIV.

FACE

Banned
Footsies and pokes are a thing, right? Don't most Hawks have these?

I like Zangief more, but Hawk can get in quite a bit easier for me.

hF1Iw7d.gif

Dahbomb

I got this free Diablo III avatar of Diablo that I thought about making my PS3 avatar. Here's the weird thing: you can't use it on the PS4. Why wouldn't they carry over? o_O

Ah.

Elphelt is basically gorilla normals everywhere, plus a grenade with a hitbox, and a shotgun/sniper rifle she can swap to. She's the dumbest character in the game, and I don't understand why people complain about Millia more than her. Millia at least has to work hard to get her game going.

Nothing she does is unsafe on block. Probably the best anti-air in the game. She's still dumb even after her nerfs.

Add me up: Karsticles.
I already have you on PS4.

shaowebb

Any SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash fans in here? I loved that title and apparently someone has worked really hard on a project based on the original. Now its a physical card game thanks to http://www.cardfighterproject.com/

QH6VgjN.png

Card Fighters Project in action

I need to get myself setup with this, grab some D20 dice for use as stat counters and a bag of multicolored aquarium gems for use as SP.
Can't wait to try this out sometime since the comic shop where the Smash Bros scene hangs out has a massive card battle area that stays packed.

ShinMaruku

I love how people look at sf4 as something reling on footsies when it has so much bullshit mechanics to avoid footsies. Then again I'm ass at sf 4 so I have no idea what I'm talking about. :E

FACE

Banned
I love how people look at sf4 as something reling on footsies when it has so much bullshit mechanics to avoid footsies. Then again I'm ass at sf 4 so I have no idea what I'm talking about. :E

If you're aware of that then spare us the nonsense.

Focus invincible back dashes vortex and the plethora of things.
Some folks play Ibooty and Cammy and just work on Vortex and can overlook footsies.

Focus can be used as a footsie.

Invincible back dash is bad, but it's not like it's completely infallible.

Some people do, true. That doesn't mean SFIV is a bad game for footsies. If you don't think you need them then you're going to play footsies. Focus has a high start up at times and can be thrown or punished like anything else. Back dash means shit if you see they overuse it and sweep them. Back dashing is still very much a commitment in SFIV.

The fact you think all of this shows how little you've played it, sorry to sound mean.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
My resolution is to just keep playing and not worry about wins or losses, just improving my mental state and optimize confirms into combos regularly. Granted I already did this but to do it every time. That and start reading frame data, makes life so much easier.

If you're aware of that then spare us the nonsense.

Shin taking my spot as resident punching bag and sayer of nonsense, granted I needed my ass to be destroyed by vulva to get where I'm at.

ShinMaruku

Footsies = Daigo vs Valle

No Footsies = Gandhi vs FSP.

Probably the most nuanced view of the game.

What I would have been better served saying is that something like sfxt would be the better game to look at footsies in as opposed to SF4. Partially why it failed too I assume.

Probably the most nuanced view of the game.

What I would have been better served saying is that something like sfxt would be the better game to look at footsies in as opposed to SF4. Partially why it failed too I assume.

GOvFHrV.gif

Most new players and intermediate players have no idea what footsies even are.

I think FA hurts footsies overall but even disregarding universal mechanics it really depends on the characters being played. Even at the highest level of play you go from things like the gif above then you see Viper vs Fuerte or Rolento vs Decapre and it's like wtf is this shit.

Didn't SFxT devolve into fishing for jabs/shorts because of chains? I remember seeing some of that but I don't know if it was pre- or post-patch (nor if the patch did anything regarding that anyway).

ShinMaruku

Intermediate players should know what footsies are and while lower level players don't know what it is they are influenced by it. It's where they say "I guess that move is no good because I can't move in or attack" It's the scrub that you should worry about.

For DOA beginners Gaf's own bboydragon is having a stream. Ask him questions about the game.
http://www.twitch.tv/ugslive

4r5

ggs Karst.

I aint learning shit from this lol, just feels like I'm playing I wanna be the guy.

There's no right option on blocking

Block -> command throw
Alpha counter -> hit eddie instead and get punished
Burst -> blocked and punished
try to attack eddie -> get hit by 4 other things

Thanks for the tips. My issue with Beak -> command jump is that I'm not entirely sure what buttons to press/how to convert off of air normals -> ground normals with Sin.

Don't forget you have IB and FD to manipulate the spacing or to build meter to mount a reversal. FD is particularly important, as pushing Zato back forces the player either spend resources (eddie meter/super meter) to regain the space, or give up the space but conserve his meter.

Beak Driver knocks down on hit, so the command jump is just to maintain positioning. No need to worry about air to ground chains. But spend some time in training mode and you could work on those air to ground chains, and you'd know that Beak Driver knocks down on hit.

Neoxon

So CEO 2016's line-up has been announced. It will consist of...
  • Street Fighter V
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (-REVELATOR- if it's out in time for CEO)
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Killer Instinct
UPDATE: They may add another game or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom