• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

For fighting games Anime is a gameplay style, not a visual aesthetic, and as such Marvel is absolutely an anime game.

Which is why I'm so glad most of the Marvel hold overs are finally playing Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear now :)
Even got a few Dengeki Bunko and UNIEL folks now too. Don't know if I'll ever see them get onto Arcana Heart though lol. Game is incredible, but its aesthetic is dumpster levels of waifu wars pandering.

ShinMaruku

Good for them
Wish other fighters got such support from creators etc

It brought me nothing but bad news
KI is good news tho. Looking forward to trying it

Funny you say that DOA did the support things before everybody :p

But real talk if GG and Blazblu had such support they'd be self sustaining too. :)

petghost

Banned
For fighting games Anime is a gameplay style, not a visual aesthetic, and as such Marvel is absolutely an anime game.

I know we don't wanna get into this same old conversation again but I disagree...aqupazza, vanguard princess and kohime musou are def anime games. It's the aesthetic that defines the genre more than the mechanics imo

Numb

Don't know why i don't see Skullgirls in the same light as DOA and Arcana.
Funny you say that DOA did the support things before everybody :p

But real talk if GG and Blazblu had such support they'd be self sustaining too. :)
DOA is in a vacuum it built around itself. People won't notice much unless it steps out of itself and that is never going to happen

jerry1594

I know we don't wanna get into this same old conversation again but I disagree...aqupazza, vanguard princess and kohime musou are def anime games. It's the aesthetic that defines the genre more than the mechanics imo
its anime if it takes over 50 hits to kill someone

granted I needed my ass to be destroyed by vulva to get where I'm at.

pause.png

ShinMaruku

Don't know why i don't see Skullgirls in the same light as DOA and Arcana.
DOA is in a vacuum it built around itself. People won't notice much unless it steps out of itself and that is never going to happen

Define what people will notice it, if you are talking the current crop of the Fighting game tournament people that's a zero sum game. If you are talking outside may have a point. But the sales and activity means it has that.

Money is not the reason MKX is at CEO. The NRS community shows up. MK9 and Injustice were at every major with good numbers long before the MKX money.

Numb

Define what people will notice it, if you are talking the current crop of the Fighting game tournament people that's a zero sum game. If you are talking outside may have a point. But the sales and activity means it has that.

Current FGC has it's own mind set on what it is. Presentation is important to FGC as much as it being solid. Talking mainly tournament. Tekken tag 2 has one of the biggest active online communities but it's cold on tournament scene outside Asia and especially now that they have T7

shaowebb

Money is not the reason MKX is at CEO. The NRS community shows up. MK9 and Injustice were at every major with good numbers long before the MKX money.

This. My God is that community tight and they really work hard to support their scene. If you want an example just look at dude's like Pig of the Hut. Dude goes EVERYWHERE and tries to support whatever NRS does and grows the community actively with podcast, videos, and constant posts.

And he's just ONE name on that list. Tons of folks who aren't even heavy hitters are always over there sharing tech on TYM, supporting each other and really pushing news on the game and holding locals. NRS fans are by far the best FGC group I've ever been fortunate enough to get involved with. Just a good bunch of dudes. Except M2Dave who is a whiner, but that's his shtick lol.

And as someone who modded on TYM I gotta say you wouldn't believe how amazingly GOOD their forum setup is for not only creating this environment but for encouraging it. The point system, the liking of posts, the private conversations, the huge list of infractables I could blast folks for...boy do I wish Shoryuken would implement these things.

ShinMaruku

Current FGC has it's own mind set on what it is. Presentation is important to FGC as much as it being solid. Talking mainly tournament. Tekken tag 2 has one of the biggest active online communities but it's cold on tournament scene outside Asia and especially now that they have T7

Exactly why I would say zero sum game with the current set. Tekken and DOA are probably doing the right thing for their long term plans.

IDK is he fucked over? I heard he was S tier
Not a single Sub-Zero in top 16 at Evo, so that seems unlikely.

Playing MKX more and more, I'm continually irked that a lot of variations give cool new toys to characters, but Sub-Zero lost a tool and has to pick a particular variation to regain it.

Also, Ice Clone doesn't work in the air anymore, which was a pretty fun bait technique.

It feels like it has more of a "cooldown" than it did in MK9, too.

His other two variants are pretty ZzzZzz, too. Weapons and chip damage negation? Yay.

ShinMaruku

Maybe they want ice clone to be shit, which means it is working properly. Just like Misty's 66T is working properly, it means you fucked your input and now you lose.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Yet people never call Street Fighter anime, yet aesthetically it's anime as fuck.

If Street Fighter isn't anime, then you can't claim it's an aesthetic definition.

shaowebb

His other two variants are pretty ZzzZzz, too. Weapons and chip damage negation? Yay.

I haven't played since Radeon users never truly got a PC fix that fully worked for all of us. Its the only reason I dropped the game since I didn't go next gen yet.

That said I gotta ask...wouldn't chip damage negation be sorta a BIG thing vs Erron Black or possibly even DVorah?

Numb

Exactly why I would say zero sum game with the current set. Tekken and DOA are probably doing the right thing for their long term plans.

Doesn't help that they are 3D and less popular. Hope Tekken x SF boosts things.
The pandering in DOA is what people have issue with it seems more than anything. Do you think people would pick up DOA if it had a sort of reboot that didn't focus on it so hard? Or will it even make a difference if such a hypothetical thing were to happen? Don't know how the current fanbase would feel about it either

I haven't played since Radeon users never truly got a PC fix that fully worked for all of us. Its the only reason I dropped the game since I didn't go next gen yet.

That said I gotta ask...wouldn't chip damage negation be sorta a BIG thing vs Erron Black or possibly even DVorah?
If the chip damage was a free passive, yeah, but it's a buff you have to keep up - pretty annoying. Plus, if you have ever tried playing Sub-Zero with just a slide, iceball, and some shatter move that I don't see the point of in the neutral, it's pretty rough. :p

shaowebb

『Inaba Resident』;191245586 said:
Having seen this and played against him, Wolfkrone is no joke in that game.

Wolfkrone leaves a trail of bleeding broken waifus in his wake in Dengeki Bunko Ignition. Dude is legit. Love to see more folks jump in on this game. I really dig the Dokuro Chan assist, the Kitty Cat throwing assist, and whoever the pistol dude with the ricochet shot is.
If the chip damage was a free passive, yeah, but it's a buff you have to keep up - pretty annoying. Plus, if you have ever tried playing Sub-Zero with just a slide, iceball, and some shatter move that I don't see the point of in the neutral, it's pretty rough. :p

I mained D'vorah and Flame Fist Liu Kang pretty hard before I just couldn't suffer through the PC port any longer. Chip immunity vs Flame Fist Liu Kang is DEFINITELY a game changer.

ShinMaruku

Doesn't help that they are 3D and less popular. Hope Tekken x SF boosts things.
The pandering in DOA is what people have issue with it seems more than anything. Do you think people would pick up DOA if it had a sort of reboot that didn't focus on it so hard? Or will it even make a difference if such a hypothetical thing were to happen? Don't know how the current fanbase would feel about it either

They are only less popular in the US tournements scene, in other places I see DOA and Tekken doing just fine in other areas.

Also mind you DOA did have that change with how they had Mila and ther other characters the shift in the visual tone, the darker colours, they only gained their numbers when they had the DLC shift and they noted that. And Tekken I think it's main thing is it's not easy to get into.

Unbreakable Sub-Zero has a parry and the chip move is for more than just the chip buff. If you do a block string and cancel into the chip buff you get adv. EX version gives significant advantage.

Numb

They are only less popular in the US tournements scene, in other places I see DOA and Tekken doing just fine in other areas.

Also mind you DOA did have that change with how they had Mila and ther other characters the shift in the visual tone, the darker colours, they only gained their numbers when they had the DLC shift and they noted that. And Tekken I think it's main thing is it's not easy to get into.
Indeed.
Although just afew things like that won't mean anything to them. Has to be something major changing and the messaging which won't happen.
Mila is the best newcomer unlike Marie Rose. Her popularity is crazy tho.
Also Tekken is very easy man. It is. So easy it's the only game i play almost the whole cast instead of 1 or 2. And i ain't that good at fighters you know.

Malice215

I was using the Tom Brady soundboard the other day. Still funny to this day.

And as someone who modded on TYM I gotta say you wouldn't believe how amazingly GOOD their forum setup is for not only creating this environment but for encouraging it. The point system, the liking of posts, the private conversations, the huge list of infractables I could blast folks for...boy do I wish Shoryuken would implement these things.

SRK would have if they didn't switch to Vanilla Forums.

As for DOA, people won't pay attention to it until it changes it's perception. Just changing a character here and there, or adding some DLC, or throwing money at it in tournaments isn't enough.

realistically speaking, which SF character would make sense as a 3rd party appearance in an MK title?

I'm thinking Bison maybe? not like he isn't new to the whole decapitation thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom