• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I think Marvel would just rather make their own competitive Marvel fighter. They can probably throw some money to get a dedicated development team going for it.
But they do recognize the MvC series to quite a degree, hence the references to the series in their cartoons & comics last year.

shaowebb

Yes, Deadpool counts in the X-Men/F4 ban. The only ones who are allowed are the Maximoff Twins.

That being said, while a Marvel Super Heroes 2 would have much more of a draw for casual players than Capcom All-Stars would, it wouldn't feel the same for me personally (or a number of others) than a full-on MvC4.

It doesn't need to feel the same. In fact, feeling fresh might help it to reach new audiences. It'd sell either way to the FGC. All you'd have to say is Marvel fighting game made by Capcom and you know it'd explode whether it was MVC4 or Marvel Super Heroes Super Duper New and Tasty.

EDIT: Lets face it...the thirst is real. We want the hype and excitement but its hard to find a replacement. Get a ton of fighters, don't quite fill the void, start talking what if Marvel games and possible Massive Capcom crossover fighters. It happens every time. We need to move on someday.

Neoxon

It doesn't need to feel the same. In fact, feeling fresh might help it to reach new audiences. It'd sell either way to the FGC. All you'd have to say is Marvel fighting game made by Capcom and you know it'd explode whether it was MVC4 or Marvel Super Heroes Super Duper New and Tasty.

EDIT: Lets face it...the thirst is real. We want the hype and excitement but its hard to find a replacement. Get a ton of fighters, don't quite fill the void, start talking what if Marvel games and possible Massive Capcom crossover fighters. It happens every time. We need to move on someday.
To be fair, Marvel itself would be a big enough draw for casual audiences. Just show off Iron Man, Spider-Man, & Rocket Raccoon and the average Marvel fan will come in droves.
Though a number of fans may be pissed to find that Wolverine & Deadpool missing.

Shackzam

Yes, Deadpool counts in the X-Men/F4 ban. The only ones who are allowed are the Maximoff Twins.

That being said, while a Marvel Super Heroes 2 would have much more of a draw for casual players than Capcom All-Stars would, it wouldn't feel the same for me personally (or a number of others) than a full-on MvC4.

The term X-Men to any Disney Marvel properties. So you have some characters that associate with X-Men aren't inheritently X-Men. With some of the Marvel Now stuff they are releasing they seem to be making new versions of the "X-Men" So they may be able to use different versions of the characters there locked from. What character they can count as an x-men is completely up in the air with the terrible contract they signed with FOX.

shaowebb

Just do a new Marvel as all Marvel and name it after the Infinity Gauntlet movie they 're building towards.
At least that way your roster selection is largely settled.

I really hope Marvel and Fox can square things up. It honestly sucks for the fans with this beef even though I care more about the characters Marvel actually has rights to.

in my testing in BBCF with noel, a 5B in the corner gave me 3500, 4200 with meter. Oki was bad though

This version of Mu looks hype as fuck....maybe more Noel is the answer for my sub instead of Nine

Shackzam

If anything Capcom All Stars will bring more exposure to the huge amount characters they have, like some others have said here. This can revive some dead franchises, I don't really see Capcom All Stars being a bad thing unless Capcom shoots themselves in the foot.

Neoxon

The term X-Men to any Disney Marvel properties. So you have some characters that associate with X-Men aren't inheritently X-Men. With some of the Marvel Now stuff they are releasing they seem to be making new versions of the "X-Men" So they may be able to use different versions of the characters there locked from. What character they can count as an x-men is completely up in the air with the terrible contract they signed with FOX.
The ban isn't that complex. It's simply anyone not named Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch that's associated with the X-Men or the Fantastic Four (I.E. the ones Fox has the movie rights to) are banned from appearing in any new Marvel games after Contest of Champions.

I really hope Marvel and Fox can square things up. It honestly sucks for the fans with this beef even though I care more about the characters Marvel actually has rights to.
I hope so as well.

If anything Capcom All Stars will bring more exposure to the huge amount characters they have, like some others have said here. This can revive some dead franchises, I don't really see Capcom All Stars being a bad thing unless Capcom shoots themselves in the foot.
That's actually a good point. If this means that Darkstalkers can have another chance at a sequel, then I'd be okay with it.

Good to know about the armor; that's all versions, right? Not just Unbreakable?

What is the move good for otherwise? Why doesn't it have an animation that suggests it's an anti-air? lol

all versions yes.

It's not a good AA because it reaches up in it's animation, it's because it has armor and will absorb the jump attack and hit them coming down.

That move has two applications special to variations. In Unbreakable if you have the chip buff active if you do the Burst it will shatter the ice armor and do more damage. In Grandmaster you use it to shatter the clone.

Neoxon

For anyone who cares, these were the Top 10 Marvel Characters in 2015 voted on via Twitter (anyone was fair game by using the appropriate hashtag).

1. Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
  2. Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
  3. Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
  4. Daredevil
  5. Deadpool
  6. Captain America (Sam Wilson)
  7. Wolverine (X-23)
  8. Cyclops
  9. Squirrel Girl
  10. Thor (Jane Foster)
Kinda puts things into perspective on how a potential MvC4 would pan out for the Marvel side (even though 3 of the characters on this list would be off-limits to Capcom).

ShinMaruku

I spent too much time with the BB novel and audio thing, I just find the story fucked up with all these clones of Ranga's sister wanting to jump his bones. And one of them KNOWS she's a clone of his sister and calls him Oniisan

shaowebb

That's actually a good point. If this means that Darkstalkers can have another chance at a sequel, then I'd be okay with it.
That'd be awesome. I love the whole crazy monster theme it rocks. I'd like to see them explore that theme more someday in this series. It's exciting seeing new loud takes on monsters in fighting games.

Neoxon

I would be happy to have the old MvC series all on the PS4. Capcom All Stars similar to those mega man street fighter game would be amazing.
One would think that regaining the license for the older games would be a bit cheaper, plus Capcom wouldn't have to worry about the recent X-Men/F4 ban. But at the same time, it may or may not get people's hopes up for a potential MvC4, which I'm guessing would be a fair bit more expensive on the licensing side of things.

mbpm1

"Yo X̶-̶m̶e̶n̶ Gifted people"

Neoxon

"Yo X̶-̶m̶e̶n̶ Gifted people & Inhumans"
FTFY. "Miracle" was the term used for Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in the MCU, while the Inhumans are spreading like wildfire everywhere else in the MCU. Jessica Jones spoilers ahoy. ->
Jessica Jones was even implied to be an Inhuman at the end of the first season of her Netflix show, though she currently sees herself as "gifted".

I don't know what connection Capcom All Stars would have with Darkstalkers IV (pretty much none), but I do know that it would give Capcom a ton of slots per unused franchise. Are there people out there who really think that a game with characters from Darkstalkers, Red Earth, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Project Justice, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Breath of Fire, MvC2 (aka exclusives like Amingo and Ruby Heart), Dead Rising, Power Stone, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Okami, God Hand, Asura's Wrath and Final Fight (the list just keeps going) would only sell 2 million? An all Capcom fighter with SFV style DLC support, day one crossplay and tournament support would blow MvC3 out of the water.

I don't know what connection Capcom All Stars would have with Darkstalkers IV (pretty much none), but I do know that it would give Capcom a ton of slots per unused franchise. Are there people out there who really think that a game with characters from Darkstalkers, Red Earth, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Project Justice, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Breath of Fire, MvC2 (aka exclusives like Amingo and Ruby Heart), Dead Rising, Power Stone, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Okami, God Hand, Asura's Wrath and Final Fight (the list just keeps going) would only sell 2 million? An all Capcom fighter with SFV style DLC support, day one crossplay and tournament support would blow MvC3 out of the water.
Would it really? Capcom had done a horrible job making their franchises relevant to the new generation. Only a handful of those are mass marketable. The rest are nostalgia for old tarts like us.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
In reply to what Karst said, I highly agree with your statement but find a small flaw with it. Each time I've played marvel at my game center (this is like 4 years in total), I've always had a small group of people who know nothing about fighting just be amazed at the eye candy that is the particle effects and sounds of UMVC3. I even played capcom only characters and people would still come as an experiment and people would still look so its not like the characters in the game (marvel for example) will make the purchases of the game. If they make all the characters look really good and pay homage to their series, that will appeal to people watching the game, since versus games are pretty entertaining to watch mindlessly.

But they do recognize the MvC series to quite a degree, hence the references to the series in their cartoons & comics last year.

This is what has me very curious as to why they would do something like that. Recognizing a franchise is basically showing homage and respect to it, knowing it has a strong fan base around the world. There has to be something baking in the oven for Capcom and they aren't gonna let us know for another year or two and its killing me. Also, I still have those bets of everyone changing their avatar to a cloud derivative if MvC4 happens.

I would be happy to have the old MvC series all on the PS4. Capcom All Stars similar to those mega man street fighter game would be amazing.

Eh, I think we should move on, the game wouldn't be patched and it would be the same mess. The game is fun but its not mechanically sound, a couple of mechanics needs to be overhauled for it to be balanced. X-Factor is a huge one, and assists is another one. It would be easier to just making something from the ground up and FOR FUCKS SAKE PLEASE HAVE A GOOD FEELING COLLISION SYSTEM! MAHVEL NAILED THAT SHIT SO FUCKING HARD THAT I CRIED EACH TIME I GOT A BIONIC ARM!

I just got a raging boner reading that list of games.

This is what has me very curious as to why they would do something like that. Recognizing a franchise is basically showing homage and respect to it, knowing it has a strong fan base around the world. There has to be something baking in the oven for Capcom and they aren't gonna let us know for another year or two and its killing me. Also, I still have those bets of everyone changing their avatar to a cloud derivative if MvC4 happens.

uhh.. I think the franchise is old enough where the people actually making the cartoons/comics have had experiences playing the game, so they make a cute reference. I don't think it's some sort of company orchestrated shoutout like connecting all the movie franchises together.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
uhh.. I think the franchise is old enough where the people actually making the cartoons/comics have had experiences playing the game, so they make a cute reference. I don't think it's some sort of company orchestrated shoutout like connecting all the movie franchises together.

Why must you ruin my day
jbxDLj8qgjnnyA.png

Neoxon

To be fair, they did recently give the MvC Earth an official classification (Earth-30847).

Would it really? Capcom had done a horrible job making their franchises relevant to the new generation. Only a handful of those are mass marketable. The rest are nostalgia for old tarts like us.
Many of those IP on their own aren't much, but the sum of their parts will make for something BIG. You are right that they may be for "old tarts" like us, but we're (well, most of us lol) Millenials and a lot of us are at that money spending age. There is a lot of room for cashing in on nineties and early 2000's nostalgia. If there weren't Capcom wouldn't be stuffing SFV with SF2 characters like we're still in the nineties. I also think girls (and women) who see Nina (BoF), Regina (Dino Crisis), Ruby Heart, Roll, BB Hood or Akira (Rival Schools) will like what they see even it's new to them. I also don't have to explain to you why guys would line up for Jedah, Batsu, Captain Commando, Edward Falcon, Gene and Mega fuckin' Man. Baby Boomers ruled the Earth (and almost ruined that shit) for a while. Now it's almost our turn get ours (and fuck things up in our own special way).
I just got a raging boner reading that list of games.
Yeah, we're not old fogies yet. These IP still plenty relevant to us. There is a ton of money to be made if Capcom actually tries. That would mean that they can't make every possible gaming development and marketing mistake like they did with SFxT, but I guess that's too much to ask from companies nowadays.

shaowebb

News update on Tatsunoko vs Capcom at Frosty Faustings.
TVC Facebook group said:
1 shy.... only 1 person!!!
That is just crazy great people. I can not say thank you enough for all the early support. It really will go a long way if we are trying to make a place to belong at Frosty. No one believed that the number would be anywhere near 10, but one person away.....
And there are still people I believe will be there that are not on the list of 9.... We could have over 13 people easy...... Really really easy actually....
A 14 man TvC tourney with 9 people on early bird registration in 2016.... You guys made this happen!!!
Way to go.... Keep on regging and take advantage of any saving you can get before the tourney happens!!
Good job guys!!

Anyone goin to Frosty Faustings? We could really use that last sign up to secure us some stuff. Getting in early like this helps the game a lot at the venue. Spread it to anyone goin who might be interested. EVO 2015's TVC side tourney was damned hype so I'd love to see things keep goin for it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Happy new year!

So, who's planning on going to EVO 2016 this year? I'll see y'all there again. Hopefully the hotel is sweet.

Neoxon

Happy new year!

So, who's planning on going to EVO 2016 this year? I'll see y'all there again. Hopefully the hotel is sweet.
I'm planning on going since one of my friends has family over in Vegas who would be willing to let me stay there for the week. If the plans will pan out will depend on my funds.

Crocodile

The licensing costs and restrictions for using Marvel properties alone would severely limit MvC4's profits. Making a Capcom vs Capcom game would allow Capcom to make a ton of dlc, and release balance patches as long as they wanted...

Not to mention it creates more interest in their other IPs. I know for sure that there was more interest in the DMC series after MVC came out because it resulted in a substantial boost to DMC4 sales (8 year old game now). Too bad there is no good DMC3 port on steam because that would've seen even more up tick.

It's like what Sony tried with PS All Stars only Capcom wouldn't have to actually money hat their own characters.

All that really needs to be on the subject of MvC4 vs. Capcom All-Stars. I don't see much point in entertaining the former when the later makes more sense. No moves will be made either way until the Capcom suits feel SFV is a success and can feel comfortable making more fighting games.

Neoxon

All that really needs to be on the subject of MvC4 vs. Capcom All-Stars. I don't see much point in entertaining the former when the later makes more sense. No moves will be made either way until the Capcom suits feel SFV is a success and can feel comfortable making more fighting games.
Though then comes the issue of Capcom not having enough major characters to push a potential Capcom All-Stars on their own, even though the game would be easier to make happen. Granted, it could revive a number of franchises, but that would require the game itself to sell first. Whereas with the MvC series, even though the licensing fee would probably be a bitch & Capcom would lose access to the X-Men & the F4, the popularity of the Marvel characters would garner eyes on the game & achieve similar results for reviving a number of Capcom franchises.

Did the first 9 training trials in DoA tonight, and did about 20% of the combo trials with 5 characters to get a feel for what's out there. I can tell that certain characters have patterns to their inputs. Some want you to hold directions more, others want qcf motions, and some just want you to mash like a maniac.

Pretty tired, so I'll end it for now. I'm actually not liking Nyotengu as much as I thought I would. Momiji, Rachel, and Lei Fang so far. Honoka is a waste of space. Are the little "power blocks" for each attribute category accurate? I know Lei Fang supposedly has some of the best counters, and she has a maxed counter bar. What does having a bigger counter/hold bar really do?

peter0611

I just spent 45 minutes in training mode learning Elphelt's unblockable setup against Milia. I don't know how useful it still, but damn it doesn't seem difficult to pull off in a real match. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom