• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

This is encouraging.

My only other experience with 3D is Soulcalibur but that's kind of not a thing at the moment ;__; Maybe I'll pick up TTT2 for cheap somewhere and start with that? Or I'll just ask that OT :)

I thought Akira would be a good starter character like Ryu given he's supposed to be the main character of Virtua Fighter, but then I looked him up.

Virtua Fighter scares me.

Definitely pick up TTT2
Find more than enough peole to play with and teach you what you need

Shouta

This is encouraging.

My only other experience with 3D is Soulcalibur but that's kind of not a thing at the moment ;__; Maybe I'll pick up TTT2 for cheap somewhere and start with that? Or I'll just ask that OT :)

I thought Akira would be a good starter character like Ryu given he's supposed to be the main character of Virtua Fighter, but then I looked him up.

Virtua Fighter scares me.

Virtua Fighter is super easy to get into but pretty hard to maintain once you get into it at a mid-to-high level until it clicks and you understand the thought process. Also, Akira is probably one of the roughest characters to play. There are a bunch of chars that are much easier to start out with.

Line_HTX

I think with a game like Tekken it's really easy to feel like you're good when playing randoms online. You only really understand what it means to be good in the game when you play high level players. I never got too heavy into any Tekken game but I want to really get masterful when Tekken 7 drops.

It's a little more difficult to get into because of the movement and you kind of need to think on your feet quickly given your position and what is happening at the moment.

That said, just start at the very beginning of what your buttons are and go from there.

This might be old, but all of the basics should still apply for Tekken 7 if you need a rundown.

I am not allowed to say mah thoughts about Laura.

Really now? I wonder why...

;P

Crocodile

Though then comes the issue of Capcom not having enough major characters to push a potential Capcom All-Stars on their own, even though the game would be easier to make happen. Granted, it could revive a number of franchises, but that would require the game itself to sell first. Whereas with the MvC series, even though the licensing fee would probably be a bitch & Capcom would lose access to the X-Men & the F4, the popularity of the Marvel characters would garner eyes on the game & achieve similar results for reviving a number of Capcom franchises.

??????

Capcom has a lot of iconic IPs and several that still see or recently saw new games (Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, etc.). That plus their big backlog make them one of the few companies that can make a vs. game roster that is even within sniffing distance of Smash. Like I dunno if I can take seriously a "do they have even popular IPs" post. Also, and this is a big point, the money they save not having to fellate Marvel's genitals means the game doesn't have to sell as much to make back its production budget. A big boon to suits I'd imagine.

all her english VA is so bad except "BUT WHHHHHHHHHHHY" cuz thats hillarious

Agreed. Not what I had in mind at all for her voice

"Why can't your breasts be this big!?"

ayyyy lmao

I am not allowed to say mah thoughts about Laura.

but i can

giphy.gif

Seriously CRQ, paste what you said without alteration in the TTT2 OT.

Also, you can play Tekken Revolution on PS3 for free.
I went and did that.

Unfortunately I only have a PS4 so that's not an option. :( I'm tempted to buy TTT2 on Wii U for the costumes though, and I just want a good starting point for the series anyhow.

Line_HTX

10 has so many compatibility headaches and issues with all the various pieces of CG and game development software that I am reliant on that there is no way I am able to pop over to it. Plus it keeps "fixing" shit on its own without consent so it may as well be a mac on that level. Got some family and friends that it uninstalled shit for without permission.

Nope. Not until a few more years and a few more major updates to keep it in line. Its just too big a headache in the way of what I need complete system stability to continue working on.

I kind of don't like it having to restart when I'm not noticing too, but it's not like it's hampering me or anything. What about 10 that's interfering with what you're working on?

shaowebb

I think that haircut has always looked bad :p
Best take on that haircut will FOREVER be the short variation that Ryosuke Miura had with less braids.
JEL9Ef9.jpg

Hair of the forever. The highlights really help.
I kind of don't like it having to restart when I'm not noticing too, but it's not like it's hampering me or anything. What about 10 that's interfering with what you're working on?

I use Substance, Zbrush, Maya, Blender, Universal Fighting Engine, 3ds Max, Wacom Intuos tablet drivers, Various plugin features on all CG software, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Sculptris, Mixamo, Unity, Bitmap 2 Material, and various smaller programs like Game Maker and Construct. Compounded of course by the fact I'm still on a radeon and haven't jumped to Nvidia yet.

It has a number of varying recurring issues with most to all of these. Look up windows 10 problem plus any of those pieces of software and know why I absolutely will not upgrade to it. There are FAR too many current issues still open and unresolved across the stuff I use to risk it. I'm fine on my current OS. Stuff works on it. I have zero real reason to upgrade just to keep up with the times when it stands a stronger chance of hampering my workflow and plugins than helping them. Literally zero benefit for me in particular to upgrade. Only interesting thing is videogames and honestly I wouldnt commit to any announced for Windows 10 anyhow. I'd rather buy a console than take the free upgrade to play them if it came down to it. Besides I'd rather be certain my shit runs on ANY system than only current OS and current benchmark specs.

windows 10 just unistalled 2 programs for me after latest update without my consent saying they were no longer compatible . is that normal?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
windows 10 just unistalled 2 programs for me after latest update without my consent saying they were no longer compatible . is that normal?

dont upgrade, a lot of my friends are going through hell for updating and its near impossible for them to revert back

mine went fine. I did think it said that some programs were not compatible but I honestly didnt care since I dont think I used them anyways

notworksafe

W10 sounds like a nightmare. Thanks for the cautionary tales.
unless you use some specialized software it really isn't, but that's the story for every new windows ever

also you can turn off the automatic updating in the updates menu for those with restart issues

dont upgrade, a lot of my friends are going through hell for updating and its near impossible for them to revert back
if they did an upgrade it saves your old version of windows and lets you swap back within like 30 days or something before it deletes the old stuff. just go into the recovery menu and the option should be there unless they manually deleted the Windows.old folder or did a format/clean install.

shaowebb

Yeah fuck that. I've got people it uninstalled fucking PHOTOSHOP on. What one problem do I have? That it throws away shit without permission and often just straight up makes my necessary software stop working due to incompatibility.
You think plugins will get updates? Hell no. That is shit people just came up with most times. I wont "upgrade" my OS if it DOWNGRADES system integrity, software stability and can delete things I need.

Fuck that noise. What is there even to enjoy at that point? A new layout to stuff?Oh boy...
Some of us depend on a LOT of software to get by and a lot of files need to stay safe. Incompatibility, resets and random deletions? No way.

Yeah, I heard good to meh things but was warned about it if you are using work software related stuff. Windows10 sounds fine if you are just using it for gaming and stuff.

Universal Fighting Engine? What is that?
edit: wat... I dunno man. looks like poser3d.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
if they did an upgrade it saves your old version of windows and lets you swap back within like 30 days or something before it deletes the old stuff. just go into the recovery menu and the option should be there unless they manually deleted the Windows.old folder or did a format/clean install.

this is good to know

Beats

Stupid work filter. -_-

What Painwheel teams were used?

Painwheel isn't very common from what I've seen. Shidama had an Eliza/Painwheel/Cerebella team that went against Duckator, but that was it I think. They didn't get to do much with Painwheel though unfortunately.

I can try and find some other match videos with Painwheel teams if you want.

notworksafe

Yeah fuck that. I've got people it uninstalled fucking PHOTOSHOP on. What one problem do I have? That it throws away shit without permission and often just straight up makes my necessary software stop working due to incompatibility.
You think plugins will get updates? Hell no. That is shit people just came up with most times. I wont "upgrade" my OS if it DOWNGRADES system integrity, software stability and can delete things I need.

Fuck that noise. What is there even to enjoy at that point? A new layout to stuff?Oh boy...
Some of us depend on a LOT of software to get by and a lot of files need to stay safe. Incompatibility, resets and random deletions? No way.
this is the story of every windows upgrade since 1990. stuff is rendered incompatible with every upgrade ever, welcome to computer.

Painwheel isn't very common from what I've seen. Shidama had an Eliza/Painwheel/Cerebella team that went against Duckator, but that was it I think. They didn't get to do much with Painwheel though unfortunately.

I can try and find some other match videos with Painwheel teams if you want.
Nah, I'm good. I only want to know about teams that place.

shaowebb

Yeah, I heard good to meh things but was warned about it if you are using work software related stuff. Windows10 sounds fine if you are just using it for gaming and stuff.

Universal Fighting Engine? What is that?

Unity GUI that takes a lot of heavy lifting off of basic fighting game stuff. Has a hit box editor, frame editor, various menus to edit things like health, stun, recovery, lag, scaling, gravity, AI, Fuzzy AI, etc etc etc and its source code is 100% open to me to edit, add to, and use commercially with the license. Plus its got good stready updates and documentation and my license nets me a lot of perks like help from the designer who wrote it.

Since its in Unity it means I have a ton of shit I can plug into it and use. Best choice by far really. Here's an example of someone testing out some various things like lighting and collision after editing some parameters in it.

Liero's Rumble Pack Combo test in Universal Fighting Engine

Works like a dream. Low entry level learning curve after you get into Unity. Comes with a bunch of jank ass models and animations though, but they're just meant to be little demo tools you dont have to worry about fucking up that are there to let you test things like parameters, and such. Best bet is to do what Liero did and setup a dummy model with some animations and test out your stuff that way. Once you get the general parameters in check you can build pretty much any kind of fighter you can think of so long as you can fill in the blanks with code when needed. His list of updates is nice and he's got shit like assists, tag and other features coming in.

JeTmAn81

Jetman can't even see out of his hair.

But I don't have to see my hair most of the time, only inflict it on others

Is your wife upset by hot women?

No, but a lot of people will look askance at ridiculously proportioned video game women and she's one of them

Wouldn't "classical" Jesus refer to the non-whitewashed version?

I was thinking more classical in the sense of renaissance art. The picture just really worked for my joke about the hair.

My least favorite is Rashid - he feels like he was made by a focus group.

I like him best, and I don't know why. Maybe because I can call him 'Shid.

Line_HTX

but i can

giphy.gif

Likitung~

I use Substance, Zbrush, Maya, Blender, Universal Fighting Engine, 3ds Max, Wacom Intuos tablet drivers, Various plugin features on all CG software, Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Sculptris, Mixamo, Unity, Bitmap 2 Material, and various smaller programs like Game Maker and Construct. Compounded of course by the fact I'm still on a radeon and haven't jumped to Nvidia yet.

It has a number of varying recurring issues with most to all of these. Look up windows 10 problem plus any of those pieces of software and know why I absolutely will not upgrade to it. There are FAR too many current issues still open and unresolved across the stuff I use to risk it. I'm fine on my current OS. Stuff works on it. I have zero real reason to upgrade just to keep up with the times when it stands a stronger chance of hampering my workflow and plugins than helping them. Literally zero benefit for me in particular to upgrade. Only interesting thing is videogames and honestly I wouldnt commit to any announced for Windows 10 anyhow. I'd rather buy a console than take the free upgrade to play them if it came down to it. Besides I'd rather be certain my shit runs on ANY system than only current OS and current benchmark specs.

Okay, that makes sense. I wanted to wait as long as possible too because I heard some games were not compatible upon the launch of W10. I'm kind of sort of using it now because my old laptop died all of a sudden and had to get a new one. Sucks to start over, but at least I don't have things that are critical as yours and my schoolwork stuff is on a flash drive, lol. I'm just using this more or less for homework and time wasting shit, hahaha

I find that often the type of people who would judge you on the games that you play and let you know it verbally are the type of people who will judge you anyways for playing videogames in the first place.

I actually think Laura has some of the most realistic proportions you'll find in video games.

yeah, she sags

No, but a lot of people will look askance at ridiculously proportioned video game women and she's one of them.

The character select screen isn't doing you favors but they did remove the 2p glitch. Aren't you a big marvel guy? Her design isn't worse than Morrigan's.

shaowebb

Okay, that makes sense. I wanted to wait as long as possible too because I heard some games were not compatible upon the launch of W10. I'm kind of sort of using it now because my old laptop died all of a sudden and had to get a new one. Sucks to start over, but at least I don't have things that are critical as yours and my schoolwork stuff is on a flash drive, lol. I'm just using this more or less for homework and time wasting shit, hahaha

Yeah, its kind of a thing not changing ships in midstream. I'll do it for things like improved stability and workflow improvements for mapping and modeling like when I said screw Maya and jumped over to Blender recently, but changing an OS? Sorry. Welcome to computer in the business workplace. You use it if it keeps working.

Fun fact. Code written in industrial plants are typically written in a coding language from the 70s that is so old it isn't even taught in schools anymore. Why? Because there are so many unit critical systems used in various industrial settings today that are coded in Fortran 77 that it'd be far too expensive and risky to "upgrade" it just to switch to a more current language like C#. And the math is written back to front in Fortran 77...

I face a similar situation with new OS "upgrades". I need my system to use certain things very well and introducing large changes to the OS is not in the least bit acceptable. Same goes for a lot of major software related projects and businesses.

OS upgrades are generally more a recreational system luxury item this early in an OS's life.

shaowebb

Yup, part of the reason I got the job I have now is my knowledge of old ass programming stuff like Cobal and Powerhouse

I saw some Cobol at my last industrial job. Mainly Fortran and Fortran 77 though. It was lucky I actually knew Microsoft Frontpage because support for it ended the year I was there and it was up to me to evaluate the best way to move the enormous website over to the new Microsoft "Expression". Had to break it to them the hardway how Frontpage utilized its own sorta language to "shortcut"code and as such it couldn't be drag and dropped into other setups. Equally troubling for them was letting them know the export to Expressions feature breaks large sites horribly and it'd be best to recode the site from scratch.

You run into lots of ancient stuff in Industry, Hospitals, Public transit and Public Works settings. If it aint broke dont try to "fix" it. You'll just fuck up something that works that everyone relies on and create massive downtime and expenses in most cases.

notworksafe

yup, was working for a college when i learned cobol. afterwards i figured i'd never see or touch it again but hey it worked out to get my current gig.

lol @ frontpage though. good god what a shitshow that program was. plus it was marketed to folks that had zero code knowledge and would be the most fucked when it eventually went end of life.

Kalamari

I am not a fan of Windows either and I don't want to spend tons of money on a Mac. Is Linux, or whatever they call it, becoming more popular and widespread? Is it a viable alternative to people who aren't computer experts?

Also, don't hate on Rashid, you know that guy loves the anime.

shaowebb

yup, was working for a college when i learned cobol. afterwards i figured i'd never see or touch it again but hey it worked out to get my current gig.

lol @ frontpage though. good god what a shitshow that program was. plus it was marketed to folks that had zero code knowledge and would be the most fucked when it eventually went end of life.

Yeah no kidding right :D
They thought that by making a "no code knowledge necessary" software it'd be great...especially when folks try to find hosing and discover ONLY certain hosts and servers could support Frontpage's shit and that you had to pay through the fucking nose to use those servers to host your sites. Why bother with Frontpage when Dreamweaver existed and everything hosted its stuff for free to minor costs?

Frontpage was a turd that just wouldn't flush. Should've died in 2000 not 2014.

notworksafe

I am not a fan of Windows either and I don't want to spend tons of money on a Mac. Is Linux, or whatever they call it, becoming more popular and widespread? Is it a viable alternative to people who aren't computer experts?

depends what you want on your pc. if you just want to surf the web and watch some streaming video, sure. it's fine to be a non-expert if you just want to do that.

if you want to use Office or play games or edit photos/video then noooooo

jerry1594

Also, don't hate on Rashid, you know that guy loves the anime.
Linux is not gonna blow up anytime soon. You can play sf5 on it though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I honestly think Lauras proportions are a little weird...

I find that often the type of people who would judge you on the games that you play and let you know it verbally are the type of people who will judge you anyways for playing videogames in the first place.

People want to feel important and heard. When it comes to a topic of gaming, lets say violence or objectification in video games, by all means please add to the conversation. When it comes to someones taste in games? Please shut the fuck up and the let person enjoy it.

shaowebb

Linux is not gonna blow up anytime soon. You can play sf5 on it though.

I'm pretty certain Linux is the equivalent of Crossfit for coders. Everyone who uses it HAS to tell you about it constantly when you're already cozy elsewhere. Often with more friends hanging out where you currently enjoy going...ie software developers for high end CG related software hang out where I currently hang and I get to use their stuff by not leaving.
windows 7 B O Y Z

we still out here :mjcry:

If it aint broke dont fix it I say. Windows 8 never got fixed, Windows 10 is bipolar. Windows 7? Yup. Still runs everything fine.
ya'll ain't really missing too much unless you have an ssd or want to play DX12 games (of which there are like 3 right now)

Pretty much why I still use it. It never stopped working and there was nothing I was missing out on. It runs. It works and consequentially it means I am safe to finish what I started whilst still enjoying massive amounts of new software that comes out and new games.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
notworksafe, take me in as your programming student and enlighten me on what I should do early on to make my programming career a little easier on me

You run into lots of ancient stuff in Industry, Hospitals, Public transit and Public Works settings. If it aint broke dont try to "fix" it. You'll just fuck up something that works that everyone relies on and create massive downtime and expenses in most cases.
It's the same reason an overpass doesn't get fixed or rebuilt until a piece of it falls and kills some people. You just take things that work for granted, until they don't.

shaowebb

notworksafe, take me in as your programming student and enlighten me on what I should do early on to make my programming career a little easier on me

Remember to put coder notes on everything. EVERYTHING.
It's the same reason an overpass doesn't get fixed or rebuilt until a piece of it falls and kills some people. You just take things that work for granted, until they don't.
Not really a good analogy. Code doesn't wear out, weather or suffer when people run things on it the way a bridge does. So long as you got a computer that runs it then it runs. No one could end Fortran compatibility even if they wanted to. There would be so many world players in industry hitting the chip and OS manufacturers with threats of lawsuit backed by state governments it'd be ridiculous. Some things are so vital to our current infrastructure you make damned certain it will run on newer gear in case a power plant or Oil refinery had to replace a motherboard one day.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Remember to put coder notes on everything. EVERYTHING.

lol, i do it sometimes, when im working seriously on a project, i put one on every block of code. but what im asking is, what are some other good habits, whats important on the job to have as a skill, any cool OS that I should have running. Like that penguin program, I think its Linux but I'm not too well versed in stuff like that since I just code in C++ and Java for the hell of it. Also know HTML and trying to learn Objective C but I need a mac first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom