• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I want to learn some programming, might even take some classes for it. Also some electrical engineering stuff. I will be starting soon with it.

Before anyone says "but you're a doctor you don't need to bother with this". Being a doctor pays the bill but it's not really what I want to do. It's like a very good back up. I have already enough money to pay for my schooling for 4 years + I can still work in that time.

Program Vergil to be buffed.

:p

Rhapsody

Banned
I want to learn some programming, might even take some classes for it. Also some electrical engineering stuff. I will be starting soon with it.

Before anyone says "but you're a doctor you don't need to bother with this". Being a doctor pays the bill but it's not really what I want to do. It's like a very good back up. I have already enough money to pay for my schooling for 4 years + I can still work in that time.

Being a doctor to pay the bills while pursuing other hobbies is pretty cool. I'm surprised that you'd have the energy or time though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
No. They have monitors hooked up to systems. Right now they have like four 360's in the back to run USFIV.

They only have one ps4. And they play MK and stuff on that. My FC4 doesn't work on 360 and I'm not buying a damn converter either.

Either way, kicking people's butts with a stick - not my main method of control - felt good. And I want to learn. This has nothing to do with "lol stick will make me pro" or anything.

But sticks do make you a pro breh.
Makes sense, USF4 is gonna die out pretty soon so I don't know if the investment is worthwhile since it'll only work on 360.

yo fite me m8, ill give you an 8/8

According to the seasoned voices in this thread, you gotta have that Bob Ross look
Yeahhhh... no :p

Nice :3
Honestly, while I went to various classes and did a uni course on games, most of my genuine programming knowledge is self-taught, digging about in calculator manuals, books and websites, even making some mods for half-life for fun. And yet... most people in school thought I'd be an artist or a writer. You're never stuck with anything as long as you're willing to learn new stuff :D

mbpm1

Nice :3
Honestly, while I went to various classes and did a uni course on games, most of my genuine programming knowledge is self-taught, digging about in calculator manuals, books and websites, even making some mods for half-life for fun. And yet... most people in school thought I'd be an artist or a writer. You're never stuck with anything as long as you're willing to learn new stuff :D

Good programming is art

Pretty cool. My doctor friend is learning to fly helicopters and gliders. Another is in a band/makes his own stereo speakers.

Then why did you become a doctor? I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum where I'm a programmer but wondered if I should have gone to medical school. More or less because I feel being a doctor has interesting aspects that programming may never touch. But I'm not in game development yet, and I eventually want to make my own indie game or join a larger studio...

I do enjoy software development a lot no doubt, but I always wonder if I would have preferred being a doctor (prob would have done neurology or some other specialty).

Good programming is art
Dunno about that. Making future-proof features is somewhat creative I guess.
Honestly I think this picture sums up everything you really need to know about coding:

coding-while-learning-it-at-college.jpg

Dahbomb

Being a doctor to pay the bills while pursuing other hobbies is pretty cool. I'm surprised that you'd have the energy or time though.
Time isn't an issue if I cut down on the work. Energy is certainly an issue, I will struggle to go to classes and study so that means work will be pretty low too. I have enough money saved up to where I can just concentrate on the studies.

If it doesn't work out then I can go back to the usual. It would be cool to have two professional degrees though.

Then why did you become a doctor? I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum where I'm a programmer but wondered if I should have gone to medical school. More or less because I feel being a doctor has interesting aspects that programming may never touch. But I'm not in game development yet, and I eventually want to make my own indie game or join a larger studio...

I do enjoy software development a lot no doubt, but I always wonder if I would have preferred being a doctor (prob would have done neurology or some other specialty).
Because becoming a doctor is picking a top tier only no one shit talks you for picking top tier. You have the prestige, you have the money, you have multiple options (in terms of WW travel which interested me at first), personal satisfaction in helping people directly and the big one being job security. The hardest part about the job is honestly the education, you have to be a good student throughout and even during the job you have to take tests to keep your knowledge fresh.

I became a doctor mostly for practical reasons. If someone asked me what they should be if they were at the crossroad then I would tell them to try to become a doctor if they are hard working enough (note I never said smart here, hard work is more important than being just naturally intelligent here). You can be a mediocre doctor and still be perfectly fine in life but in other fields if you are mediocre then you struggle to hold down jobs.

onionfrog

Way more programmers in FGW than I previously realized.

The analytical mindset needed for software development lines up pretty well with the strategy needed for fighting games. imo
My SQL probably sucks but it never gets reviewed by anyone else so suck on that!
That'll be fun for whoever needs to clean it up later.

Explain plans are your friend.

Dunno about that. Making future-proof features is somewhat creative I guess.
Honestly I think this picture sums up everything you really need to know about coding:

coding-while-learning-it-at-college.jpg

There is a lot of work which is like the picture you posted.

But sometimes the rubics cube is made of shit and you have to build a new one from scratch for performance/maintainability reasons

Way more programmers in FGW than I previously realized.

The analytical mindset needed for software development lines up pretty well with the strategy needed for fighting games. imo
Mayhap. Might also be the willingness to put up with being bad at something long enough to get good at it too though :3

I made a pact back in Uni with 2 friends to learn how to make half-life mods. In the end I was the only one who did: the other two lost interest :p

Does it specifically say it's a Tuesday only code? They used to just work whenever for the week, not sure how it is now as I don't get the emails anymore

I went back and the 2 day email option only does it for Sunday and Friday and special deals. The every day is for daily stuff. So I decided to just resign up. Not like I"m going to use it daily.

programming at a job is like this, because this literally just happened

Before I went on vacation I was in meetings explaining how long a project would take. I told them aggressively, starting hitting the code hard january 4th when I returned I could finish it up and be ready for user testing at the end of February. I return from vacation and they decided while I was gone that I can finish the project by the 25th of January.

So, I CAN technically get it running by that date, but I also refuse to work more than 40 hours a week. So they will get an application, but its gonna be shitty code with cut features and not fully tested and they have no one to blame but themselves.

There is a lot of work which is like the picture you posted.

But sometimes the rubics cube is made of shit and you have to build a new one from scratch for performance/maintainability reasons
Honestly, in some jobs it took all my self control not to just re-write half the systems I'd come across from scratch... by which I mean I failed to stop myself several times and sneakily did so whenever I could squeeze in the time :p

programming at a job is like this, because this literally just happened

Before I went on vacation I was in meetings explaining how long a project would take. I told them aggressively, starting hitting the code hard january 4th when I returned I could finish it up and be ready for user testing at the end of February. I return from vacation and they decided while I was gone that I can finish the project by the 25th of January.

So, I CAN technically get it running by that date, but I also refuse to work more than 40 hours a week. So they will get an application, but its gonna be shitty code with cut features and not fully tested and they have no one to blame but themselves.
Ick. Sounds similar when they changed all the scripting in one of the games I worked on to LUA: they asked us for an estimate and then gave us about half the time we told them to convert the lot.

Fuck programming.

Math and blah. Forget a / in your </>? Time to go through every line of code.

Awfulness!
That's HTML :p

Fuck programming.

Awfulness!
coding isn't much math really, a lot of logic flow though. I've written a few complicated algorithms when needed. What you are describing though, thats more layout and design shit, which can be a pain in the ass. I do everything in my department's web development, HTML, CSS, (and designing) ASP.NET controls, Javascript, C#, SQL, and database design. By far the biggest pain in the ass is the HTML and CSS and designing. Javascript follows since its so much harder to debug than backend code. Forgetting a / in a </> only happens in the HTML
Ick. Sounds similar when they changed all the scripting in one of the games I worked on to LUA: they asked us for an estimate and then gave us about half the time we told them to convert the lot.
it would be shittier in other jobs similar to mine, but luckily in my job the bosses actually will realize they fucked up and admit it, and if I do pull it off I will get rewarded. I've been given raises and promoted steadily

Fuck programming.

Awfulness!
A lot of the math you need for Computer Science isn't very hard, and I think in general math is not well taught and poorly understood. I personally think I'm not great at math, but I did quite well in all my math courses through finding the right way to study for myself. And unless you're using notepad to write your code, IDEs will tell you when you make simple syntax errors.

Nightii

Banned
coding isn't much math really, a lot of logic flow though. I've written a few complicated algorithms when needed. What you are describing though, thats more layout and design shit, which can be a pain in the ass. I do everything in my department's web development, HTML, CSS, (and designing) ASP.NET controls, Javascript, C#, SQL, and database design. By far the biggest pain in the ass is the HTML and CSS and designing. Javascript follows since its so much harder to debug than backend code. Forgetting a / in a </> only happens in the HTML
Heh, as a programmer that mainly focuses on HTML, CSS and Javascript I can vouch for that, big pain the ass.

Though you get better at finding the places were you screwed up quickly over time, you just gotta apply some critical thinking to your programming, just like fighting games!

peter0611

Stronger in USF4. His style doesn't mesh as well with Sol (as opposed to with Order Sol). He's strong in Xrd, but a lot of it is fundamentals carrying over. He doesn't practice Xrd as much as some of the other dedicated GG players.

Thanks for the info. Even before dominating CC, it was clear he was a top 5 USF$ player. Just didn't know his status since the only elite Xrd players I know of are Nage, Woshige (ofc lol), and Ogawa.

That's HTML :p

All coding is the same to me. Is there a large difference? You don't do that in programming?

I did Javascript in college and I had no idea what I was doing. Maybe I wasn't taught in a positive environment or whatever, but I just don't get it.

All coding is the same to me. Is there a large difference? You don't do that in programming?
nope, HTML isnt programming, its just layout, CSS is also layout. Javascript is programming, but its just scripts. Programming is the actual processing code, C#, Java, python, lots of programming languages. I specialize in C#

mbpm1

That's why you gotta be Scotty from Star Trek and give very generous estimates.

And say damnit captain, you're not a miracle worker

Kumubou

I now suddenly feel like an idiot (OK, more of one). I went to college for computer science and breezed through the coursework easy enough (I was just about halfway through the graduate program when I finished my undergrad degree). Honestly, though... I don't really care for it. The truly successful people in that field live and breathe code and I... didn't. Between that, general bad timing for graduating and generally being undesirable for employers (I was an absolute headcase in college. I'm glad stuff like Twitter didn't exist when I was in school.), I never ended up working in the field. Now I'm just some schlub working in IT... at least the bills get paid.

depends what you want on your pc. if you just want to surf the web and watch some streaming video, sure. it's fine to be a non-expert if you just want to do that.

if you want to use Office or play games or edit photos/video then noooooo
You know what one of the games that does work on Linux is?

Street Fighter 5.

...That's still really weird to read.

Frankly, the whole OS landscape blows. Windows is now trying to track every part of your existence, Linux as a desktop OS is a hot mess... am I looking at buying a Mac now? Yikes.

it would be shittier in other jobs similar to mine, but luckily in my job the bosses actually will realize they fucked up and admit it, and if I do pull it off I will get rewarded. I've been given raises and promoted steadily
Most bosses in upper management of games companies aren't so good sadly. I think they gave us some bonuses for pulling it off but it meant a lot of fundamental structures weren't as well planned as they could've been and we had to eventually talk them into giving us time to revisit them so they wouldn't handicap us so much :/

I think soldier and nightii covered it, but to be more concise: tags are mostly an HTML / web thing. In most programming you simply end lines with a simple terminator of some sort (e.g. semicolon) much like you'd end a sentence with a full stop :3
There's brackets and stuff too to specify when something is inside something else but it's a lot less typing than tags and with indentation it's easier to keep track of too :p

JeTmAn81

Haha complaining about missing a character in HTML. HTML may be the most forgiving language I've ever worked with in terms of syntax. In a normal compiled language it has to be literally perfect (syntactically speaking) or it won't work at all, whereas at least HTML will still show you most of your page.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm a professional artist. It requires precision and thinking. I'm the next Daigo confirmed. I'm even left handed.

Yoooooo, show some art. Might you be interested working on animations/games?

Fuck programming.

Awfulness!

That's HTML and granted, it isn't the most entertaining thing to do, but once you know all the basics, weaving them together creates some beautiful stuff. Other languages are a lot more straight forward with concepts that can be applied in almost every facet of life. A while loop can be akin to having sex, it keeps going while you have the inversion of a false statement (which is true) and once that statement comes true, it takes the inversion of that (which is false) and the execution of the program ends. Granted, you aren't thrusting every millisecond, but you get the idea.

Nothing like online SF4 to remind you how ass you are at the game.

Welcome to the real world. Every is better yet worse than you at the same time. If you want some training, I'd be more than glad to help out, I play on PC only for now, have PS4 as well if you're down for that.

Not all of us like coding. Can't stand it.

I always enjoyed the design end of things. I will design your website but unless you allow me to do it in dreamweaver, I'm not touching code with a ten foot pole.

Yoooooo, show some art. Might you be interested working on animations/games?

For privacy reasons, I refuse to post my art on this board.

However, animation has been my dream career since I was 9 years old. And I finally got hired by Warner Bros Animation.

Nightii

Banned
Haha complaining about missing a character in HTML. HTML may be the most forgiving language I've ever worked with in terms of syntax. In a normal compiled language it has to be literally perfect (syntactically speaking) or it won't work at all, whereas at least HTML will still show you most of your page.
Showing you most of your page isn't good enough, though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Real talk, there was basically genius with us in high school and we ended up going to the same college (He was really smart and was surprising to most folks that I ended up going to the same prestigious school as him) and dude hated coding in python. Python is possibly one of the easiest languages to code in, it goes toe to toe with PHP which was made for beginners to understand programming. That day, I gained a bit more confidence lol

I now suddenly feel like an idiot (OK, more of one). I went to college for computer science and breezed through the coursework easy enough (I was just about halfway through the graduate program when I finished my undergrad degree). Honestly, though... I don't really care for it. The truly successful people in that field live and breathe code and I... didn't. Between that, general bad timing for graduating and generally being undesirable for employers (I was an absolute headcase in college. I'm glad stuff like Twitter didn't exist when I was in school.), I never ended up working in the field. Now I'm just some schlub working in IT... at least the bills get paid.
I wouldn't worry about it. I would never consider myself a programmer either. I just understand enough to make cool stuff and not make novice mistakes. I know real programmers and i can't keep up with the technowaffle that comes out of their mouths :p

I'm actually a jack/jane of trades: I learn most stuff quickly so I'm good at lots of things but not amazing at any single one :3
Makes me a headache for most companies because they have no idea what to do with me half the time :p

mbpm1

Real talk, there was basically genius with us in high school and we ended up going to the same college (He was really smart and was surprising to most folks that I ended up going to the same prestigious school as him) and dude hated coding in python. Python is possibly one of the easiest languages to code in, it goes toe to toe with PHP which was made for beginners to understand programming. That day, I gained a bit more confidence lol

You should've whooped his ass with Rolento

This is the programming thread
You are looking for FGW

I code too! I do C# and Java and a tiny bit of python. Probably not as good as everyone else here since I'm still in college (and about to graduate).

Welcome to the real world. Every is better yet worse than you at the same time. If you want some training, I'd be more than glad to help out, I play on PC only for now, have PS4 as well if you're down for that.

I was just kinda dumping my salt here but you're totally right. I'd definitely appreciate the help another time soon though since my shoulders are starting to get sore from playing lol.

I definitely know what I'm bad at though. I'm relying too much on the fireball and I don't use my light jabs/kicks enough in really close range. I need to practice my links more.

That's HTML and granted, it isn't the most entertaining thing to do, but once you know all the basics, weaving them together creates some beautiful stuff. Other languages are a lot more straight forward with concepts that can be applied in almost every facet of life. A while loop can be akin to having sex, it keeps going while you have the inversion of a false statement (which is true) and once that statement comes true, it takes the inversion of that (which is false) and the execution of the program ends. Granted, you aren't thrusting every millisecond, but you get the idea.

What.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom