• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

notworksafe, take me in as your programming student and enlighten me on what I should do early on to make my programming career a little easier on me

get gud at math, especially matrices. be nice to your professors/boss/co-workers and actually ask them questions, they will love that someone is paying attention. don't get discouraged w/ programming. like fg's, programming is 99% "wtf is this shit i don't know what's going on here" to 1% "fuck yessssss i am the greatest of all time". use EXTENSIVE notes when you code cause you probably won't remember shit when you go back to look a it 1 week/month/year later. also, grow a beard.

as far as actual language assistance, i won't be much help. the three languages i know are from 1982, 1985, and 1998 and i haven't stayed up to date lol.

lol, i do it sometimes, when im working seriously on a project, i put one on every block of code. but what im asking is, what are some other good habits, whats important on the job to have as a skill, any cool OS that I should have running. Like that penguin program, I think its Linux but I'm not too well versed in stuff like that since I just code in C++ and Java for the hell of it. Also know HTML and trying to learn Objective C but I need a mac first.

linux is neat but honestly not needed for most programming work, don't worry about it. especially if you're learning C/Java. Fwiw you can also work with ObjC on Windows with GNUStep but I can't speak to how well that works.

shaowebb

get gud at math, especially matrices. be nice to your professors/boss/co-workers and actually ask them questions, they will love that someone is paying attention. don't get discouraged w/ programming. like fg's, programming is 99% "wtf is this shit i don't know what's going on here" to 1% "fuck yessssss i am the greatest of all time". use EXTENSIVE notes when you code cause you probably won't remember shit when you go back to look a it 1 week/month/year later. also, grow a beard.

as far as actual language assistance, i won't be much help. the three languages i know are from 1982, 1985, and 1998 and i haven't stayed up to date lol.
The beard is absolutely essential. Otherwise you're just "the kid" no matter how fucking old you are in the office. Its dumb but ...yes its kind of true. If you have the beard folks think "wise old scientist" instead of "wise ass IT kid".

Oh and if you want to do game stuff C# and Java help a ton since so many things can use Java for plugins and C# is used for Unity. I think GGPO is C+ though, but you can make your own rollback netcode.

Also get good at Sin, COsin, Tangent, Cotangent , and all that shit. Those sinewaves and such are BULLET patterns and JUMP patterns. If you want crazy movement patterns like say Touhou Bullet patterns that are artsy and unique or Bizarre enemy flight paths you need this to a degree. Some stuff generally exists to setup these things on curve lines in engines but its better to have the math too because the amount of stop and redirection stuff you can do is great for complex bullet patterns and movement options.

Oh an use call functions often is my personal go to thinger of choice. If I can puts it into an array then fuck yes I will do so.

shaowebb

Oh man...I hadn't thought about it till now but what if you used an unpacker and just threw a SIN function onto Ryu's fireball? Would you have to block low then High as it flows along a sin wave pattern or did they code the fireball with a hard setting that determines how to block it instead of a proximity based thing?

Fuck a sin wave fireball with variable high then low blocking requirements would get suuuuuuuuuuper dirty.

notworksafe

i ain't joking about the beard. went without one for a decade of work, always got treated like i was an idiot by IT guru co-workers even though i've got two degrees. grew a beard, suddenly i got respect and a raise at work.

onionfrog

I saw some Cobol at my last industrial job. Mainly Fortran and Fortran 77 though. It was lucky I actually knew Microsoft Frontpage because support for it ended the year I was there and it was up to me to evaluate the best way to move the enormous website over to the new Microsoft "Expression". Had to break it to them the hardway how Frontpage utilized its own sorta language to "shortcut"code and as such it couldn't be drag and dropped into other setups. Equally troubling for them was letting them know the export to Expressions feature breaks large sites horribly and it'd be best to recode the site from scratch.

You run into lots of ancient stuff in Industry, Hospitals, Public transit and Public Works settings. If it aint broke dont try to "fix" it. You'll just fuck up something that works that everyone relies on and create massive downtime and expenses in most cases.
This is the truth. We have some old Cobol programs still being used at my work.

Thank god I'm not the guy who has to maintain them.

---
On-topic, you guys are making me weary of upgrading to windows 10. I'll probably just keep playing KI on my Xbox one for the time being.

Not really a good analogy. Code doesn't wear out, weather or suffer when people run things on it the way a bridge does. So long as you got a computer that runs it then it runs. No one could end Fortran compatibility even if they wanted to. There would be so many world players in industry hitting the chip and OS manufacturers with threats of lawsuit backed by state governments it'd be ridiculous. Some things are so vital to our current infrastructure you make damned certain it will run on newer gear in case a power plant or Oil refinery had to replace a motherboard one day.
Civil engineering plans don't wear out either when objects based on their designs do.

onionfrog

Remember to put coder notes on everything. EVERYTHING.
Proper documentation is just as important as the code itself.

You'll learn this quick once you have to rewrite some old code which has absolutely no documentation or notes.
;_;

This is all good advice.
The bolded is so true its not even funny.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Time to learn Japanese.

linux is neat but honestly not needed for most programming work, don't worry about it. especially if you're learning C/Java. Fwiw you can also work with ObjC on Windows with GNUStep but I can't speak to how well that works.

Okay, so for the math part, I'm leaning towards re-learning physics and learning fortran since apparently it has a bunch of math in it. I honestly don't know what you mean by being really good at math, can you recommend anything that'll help me get there?

i ain't joking about the beard. went without one for a decade of work, always got treated like i was an idiot by IT guru co-workers even though i've got two degrees. grew a beard, suddenly i got respect and a raise at work.

I'm not gonna lie, I got more normal looks from folks in my CompSci department once I let my beard grow during finals time.

shaowebb

Proper documentation is just as important as the code itself.

You'll learn this quick once you have to rewrite some old code which has absolutely no documentation or notes.
;_;

Fun fact...had to edit code once where there were few notes and the fucker DIDN'T INDENT.

notworksafe

Heads up for those that need a PS4 stick, HRAP4 will be $99 at Fry's (in-store and online) tomorrow
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/684478060251328512

sign up for their email list to get the promo code: http://images.frys.com/art/email/010616_wed951lov/wed_web.html

Also Yams I mainly mean just pay attention in your math classes. shadowebb explained in a bit more detail the uses of different math for programming. the math you want to focus on depends on what type of programming you want to do

Also get good at Sin, COsin, Tangent, Cotangent , and all that shit. Those sinewaves and such are BULLET patterns and JUMP patterns. If you want crazy movement patterns like say Touhou Bullet patterns that are artsy and unique or Bizarre enemy flight paths you need this to a degree. Some stuff generally exists to setup these things on curve lines in engines but its better to have the math too because the amount of stop and redirection stuff you can do is great for complex bullet patterns and movement options.
tumblr_mu9ubo1ahy1rhuf3s4h.gif

Heads up for those that need a PS4 stick, HRAP4 will be $99 at Fry's (in-store and online) tomorrow

sign up for their email list to get the promo code: http://images.frys.com/art/email/010616_wed951lov/wed_web.html

Also Yams I mainly mean just pay attention in your math classes. shadowebb explained in a bit more detail the uses of different math for programming. the math you want to focus on depends on what type of programming you want to do

Looks like I'm getting my first stick.

I...I'm scared. What if it doesn't work out? I just...I'm scared I won't get competent with it. But if it means beating playing guys, I have to do what I gotta do.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

:mjcry:

I...I'm scared. What if it doesn't work out? I just...I'm scared I won't get competent with it. But if it means beating playing guys, I have to do what I gotta do.

You don't need a stick to be good. Look at Knuckle Du and Snake Eyez, both made it into Capcom Cup and Du plays on a PS3 controller while Snake players on an old madcatz pad. Japan, as far as we all know, will only have a console release for now so there would be no point in forcing yourself to pick up stick. If you think it'll make you a better player, you are severely underestimating yourself. People have no qualms when I plug in my pad, sure it takes a while longer, but what works works.

shaowebb

I hope it wasn't too big of a change. No indentation is super rough too.

I said fuck him and passed his code back to him editted with what I felt it needed.
He never checked it and it continued to do its job...all I did was update the license agreement to the current one we were using in the top which was the only coder note there
:p

notworksafe

if you hate it you can trade it to amazon for $90 credit or resell it here for about the same price. no real loss.

also you won't be competent with it at first (in fact you will almost certainly be worse) but don't let that discourage you. just keep practicing.

:mjcry:

You don't need a stick to be good. Look at Knuckle Du and Snake Eyez, both made it into Capcom Cup and Du plays on a PS3 controller while Snake players on an old madcatz pad.

Never said you need a stick to be good. But right now the only control method available at my local are sticks. I have to use a control method I don't use to play, and it makes me fight the controls rather than be in the game 100% which disables me from learning. Plus I'm addicted to the noise the buttons make.

if you hate it you can trade it to amazon for $90 credit or resell it here for about the same price. no real loss.

also you won't be competent with it at first (in fact you will almost certainly be worse) but don't let that discourage you. just keep practicing.

So to get the stick I need to sign up with my email with the link at the top?

notworksafe

yep, sign up to the email list and you'll either just get a promo code with the sale email tomorrow OR they'll give you a number to call to get the promo code tomorrow.

how they give out promo codes for first-timers seems different randomly.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Never said you need a stick to be good. But right now the only control method available at my local are sticks. I have to use a control method I don't use to play, and it makes me fight the controls rather than be in the game 100% which disables me from learning. Plus I'm addicted to the noise the buttons make.

I'm confused, this place has USF4 arcade cabinets? If that's the case, then I completely understand and implore you to buy the stick. If that's not the case, I don't seem to understand what you mean by control method.

I'm confused, this place has USF4 arcade cabinets? If that's the case, then I completely understand and implore you to buy the stick. If that's not the case, I don't seem to understand what you mean by control method.

No. They have monitors hooked up to systems. Right now they have like four 360's in the back to run USFIV.

They only have one ps4. And they play MK and stuff on that. My FC4 doesn't work on 360 and I'm not buying a damn converter either.

Either way, kicking people's butts with a stick - not my main method of control - felt good. And I want to learn. This has nothing to do with "lol stick will make me pro" or anything.

Fun fact...had to edit code once where there were few notes and the fucker DIDN'T INDENT.
Not only do I try and adhere to whatever agreed code formatting we have, I like to leave random and somewhat comic comments to make reading said code a bit less dry. I've had co-workers actually mention that they got a chuckle out of one or two of them :3

Neoxon

I'm saving all of this, with me also being a programmer in training.

Woo get on dat!

jerry1594

Shit is rooough. More fun to use though and there is some stuff that is not really doable on pad in some games.

yep, sign up to the email list and you'll either just get a promo code with the sale email tomorrow OR they'll give you a number to call to get the promo code tomorrow.

how they give out promo codes for first-timers seems different randomly.

I set it to 2 emails a week. I won't get my email with my code tomorrow? I got the email and a code but it's only for today.

programming once you have a job is 50% retreading the same shit a lot, 49% wtf is going on, 1% im awesome
Unless you're 'scripting' instead of programming in which case 20% is looking at your co-workers scripts, seeing a giant wall of individual variables being filled in one by one and realising they don't know what a for loop is :p

Unless you're 'scripting' instead of programming in which case 20% is looking at your co-workers scripts, seeing a giant wall of individual variables being filled in one by one and realising they don't know what a for loop is :p
I review the SQL of business analysts a lot, that shit is painful

peter0611

Random question: compared to the game's respective competitive field, is Kazunoko a stronger USF4 or Xrd player? He always does extremely well in Xrd tourneys in U.S, but that doesn't mean much.

ShinMaruku

Luffy won with a pad therefore even as a stick person I can't say "You must play stick" because to be quite honest it's ridiculous.

Rhapsody

Banned
Random question: compared to the game's respective competitive field, is Kazunoko a stronger USF4 or Xrd player? He always does extremely well in Xrd tourneys in U.S, but that doesn't mean much.

Stronger in USF4. His style doesn't mesh as well with Sol (as opposed to with Order Sol). He's strong in Xrd, but a lot of it is fundamentals carrying over. He doesn't practice Xrd as much as some of the other dedicated GG players.

mbpm1

Good thing I never went into programming, I can't grow a beard

Malice215

This is encouraging.

My only other experience with 3D is Soulcalibur but that's kind of not a thing at the moment ;__; Maybe I'll pick up TTT2 for cheap somewhere and start with that? Or I'll just ask that OT :)

I thought Akira would be a good starter character like Ryu given he's supposed to be the main character of Virtua Fighter, but then I looked him up.

Virtua Fighter scares me.

SCV is still being played if you want to get into it. It just doesn't get a lot of attention, while others are waiting for a new game. TTT2 is also a start if you want to get into Tekken 7.

I don't understand why people are so intimidated by VF. Great game to play. Just dive in.

Poor Soul Calibur... even if we ever do get a 6 I'm worried they'll keep all the changes I hated from V :/

Every SC game is different from each other. If there is a 6, it won't be the same as SCV, especially since SCV's director left.

Dahbomb

I want to learn some programming, might even take some classes for it. Also some electrical engineering stuff. I will be starting soon with it.

Before anyone says "but you're a doctor you don't need to bother with this". Being a doctor pays the bill but it's not really what I want to do. It's like a very good back up. I have already enough money to pay for my schooling for 4 years + I can still work in that time.

Kalamari

Arcade sticks are pretty ubiquitous in the FGC, learning to play on one is never a bad idea. At least in SFV there won't be FADC Ultra moves like SFIV.

mbpm1

I want to learn some programming, might even take some classes for it. Also some electrical engineering stuff. I will be starting soon with it.

Before anyone says "but you're a doctor you don't need to bother with this". Being a doctor pays the bill but it's not really what I want to do. It's like a very good back up. I have already enough money to pay for my schooling for 4 years + I can still work in that time.

Pick a top tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom