• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightii

Banned
So...I have been playing a lot of Super Turbo on Fightcade during lunch break with a couple of co-workers for months now, and one of the scrubbiest doubts I still have because of it is....how exactly does Vega's Barcelona Vortex work?

A friend gave me the Cliff Notes of "Never stop, just change the side you land the attack on every time", but I still don't seem to truly trap my opponent, they end up blocking one of the dives.

Am I just too predictable with it? How do the ST veterans get to make Damdai feel helpless without fail?

Damn. You got noticed.

Naw. You will be starting at the bottom. Draw every day, get trained, pick a job you want to do. Let's say, concept art, and stick to that. Make it good and make it stand out. Then keep sending in that portfolio.

The dream would be taken in as Miyazaki's intern and learn whatever knowledge he has to pass on before retiring (for real this time). But that is never going to happen. *cries*

Mizerman

Naw. You will be starting at the bottom. Draw every day, get trained, pick a job you want to do. Let's say, concept art, and stick to that. Make it good and make it stand out. Then keep sending in that portfolio.

The dream would be taken in as Miyazaki's intern and learn whatever knowledge he has to pass on before retiring (for real this time). But that is never going to happen. *cries*

Granted. That would be pretty sweet to meet that guy.

I remember making a Devil May Cry 4 homepage in HTML (and some decent CSS styling so it didn't look like complete crap).

I also did work on a Blazblue site using Flash that would load in youtube videos when you clicked on character portraits. I remember being proud of getting that to work.

That was quite some time ago though. I don't think I have the will to meaningfully engage in an activity that I perceive as investing in my future anymore.

ShinMaruku

I know
I was there

No I wasn't but what if
image.php

Nice! 2d , 3d or both? Do you animate? Tablet or mouse?
*happy to see both coders and artists in FGC*

Personal wise? 2d in preference, but also due to lack of skill set. I should probably learn 3d. I'm more pre-production end of things because unfortunately, I'm not a professionally trained animator. So I had to hustle my ass off and take online art classes to get my skills up to par for pre-production (backgrounds, concept, story-boarding).

Biggest tip I can give to anyone who is young (under 24) and want to pursue your dreams: don't settle for anybody or anything. I wanted to be an animator at 9 but now just entering the industry I've dreamed of being a part of since then at 30. When I was looking at colleges at 18, I wanted to go - obviously - art school, but my parents argued that I would only have a certificate. I didn't end up getting trained to work in animation and had to give up on my dream to satisfy other people.

Don't do that. If no one will support your dreams, do it on your own. Otherwise, you will just be wasting money and time.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Follow your dreams folks, its a cliche for a reason. If it makes you happy, tell everyone else who doesn't like the idea to gtfo

Granted. That would be pretty sweet to meet that guy.

One of my friends saw him in Williamsburg, Brooklyn doing a showing on one of his short films and was dumbfounded that he was there, asking if he could just have a second of his time.

I know
I was there

No I wasn't but what if

All of my students were categorically a part of a minority race in the US.

Mizerman

Follow your dreams folks, its a cliche for a reason. If it makes you happy, tell everyone else who doesn't like the idea to gtfo.

Yep. Sometimes if you want something to happen, you gotta have the motivation to do so.

One of my friends saw him in Williamsburg, Brooklyn doing a showing on one of his short films and was dumbfounded that he was there, asking if he could just have a second of his time.

Nice.

But on the plus side, you found your dream again even after you put it down for a while.

Eh.

It's my only real life regret.

Now I will be making less money than people younger than me, with less experience in a competitive field. It bothers me that my parents didn't support me and my career goals and found the idea of going to college more important than providing a positive environment for your kid to see their utmost potential in a skill they already knew they were talented in. I'm also mad at myself for giving in and falling to societal pressure to attend college.

Fuck college.

But now we're very, very off topic. :p

vulva

This all reminds me, I need to get a new resume. I've managed to go from job to job in the past few years off personal connections, and I have a new opportunity that just fell in to my lap. They told me to email them my resume and I realized I don't even have one saved on any of my current hardware and can't remember if it's stored in my email. Yeesh.

mbpm1

I see.

Me, I'm basically being the person who settled and got a degree in a field I only kind of...half cared for. Difference being I never knew what my dream was. Well, still don't.

But hey, at least I have a job now.

shaowebb

Personal wise? 2d in preference, but also due to lack of skill set. I should probably learn 3d. I'm more pre-production end of things because unfortunately, I'm not a professionally trained animator. So I had to hustle my ass off and take online art classes to get my skills up to par for pre-production (backgrounds, concept, story-boarding).

Biggest tip I can give to anyone who is young (under 24) and want to pursue your dreams: don't settle for anybody or anything. I wanted to be an animator at 9 but now just entering the industry I've dreamed of being a part of since then at 30. When I was looking at colleges at 18, I wanted to go - obviously - art school, but my parents argued that I would only have a certificate. I didn't end up getting trained to work in animation and had to give up on my dream to satisfy other people.

Don't do that. If no one will support your dreams, do it on your own. Otherwise, you will just be wasting money and time.

Glad you got that hustle and made it happen! I sorta fell into what I now know was my real dream after rough shit happened...

I worked my ass off, but the college bills hit me hard before the pay ever could. Like you said ..."Fuck. College." Couldn't pay it so had to resort to industrial work in WV to not go under. Everyone wanted to pay me in experience in the game industry after college *fucking eyeroll*. The last couple of indy things I was a part of the dudes hardly even had functional design documents for their games. I ended up having to rewrite and do a ton of design stuff for em on the gameplay itself. Eventually, I realized that the percentage who get to lead the show is incredibly small, and that out of those they still have to answer to their publisher and the share holder's wallets.

Thing is it opened me up to a truth...I didn't want to be a part of someone else's stuff trying to make uncreative ideas better with my own creativity. I'm a niche gamer as is. I don't FPS, I'm sick of the sameyness most things have in the industry, and I swear to god most game studios forgot what a silhouette test was for... And here I was...suddenly completely financially secure and with the experience and skill to make whatever niche thing I wanted with or without someone else's company.

A part of me still wishes the paydays had come faster and I didn't have to be around so much redneckery in industry, but every day I come home and all the bills are paid and I get to make what I truly like and answer to no one. It'd be nice to one day have more people and crew, but I'll be damned if someone else has to go through what I did and work on something that doesn't pay them when what they truly need is a paycheck. I'll work with folks who dont need my thing to come out or go hungry and thats it.

In the end, I found my place. Indie. Its slow, its a lot of work, and it gets lonely at times. Its great fun though and its 100% uncompromised and for me I discovered that was my real dream. To get what I want because I'm a greedy bastard :D

I'm really thankful for QisTopTier though. His insight is keeping this thing on the rails. He became the perfect partner since he plays fucking everything hardcore. Makes him a treasure trove of concepts and movelist ideas to couple with my own ideas and grow into various art and characters. We feed off each other I think. I can code some, do concept like mad, animate 2d or 3d, and I learn software pretty fast, but with all that its kind of hard to do more than play a bit here and there and take notes. I aint got the time for the grind and thats where he comes and saves my ass from the fact that I can't do everything on my own. Without him constantly filling in gaps and analyzing ideas things would go out of control on designs and such quick. Especially once we start doin frame count stuff on attacks.

Here's to living your dreamsand working your asses off
:)

This all reminds me, I need to get a new resume. I've managed to go from job to job in the past few years off personal connections, and I have a new opportunity that just fell in to my lap. They told me to email them my resume and I realized I don't even have one saved on any of my current hardware and can't remember if it's stored in my email. Yeesh.

Don't go for a template when you do it. Tailor it to each place you interview for.

shaowebb

I think I like us bein community now. We really are just that these days...one big game loving community.
R9kwNtO.png

Its nice having a place to vent and celebrate together.

Im unfortunately the cynical type that says dreams arent worth it, find a good paying job you are good at and use the money to enjoy life. Its why I work for a health insurance company and not in game development like I dreamed. In the end I'm happy, even if I find my work dumb

Glad you got that hustle and made it happen! I sorta fell into what I now know was my real dream after rough shit happened...

I worked my ass off, but the college bills hit me hard before the pay ever could. Like you said ..."Fuck. College." Couldn't pay it so had to resort to industrial work in WV to not go under. Everyone wanted to pay me in experience in the game industry after college *fucking eyeroll*. The last couple of indy things I was a part of the dudes hardly even had functional design documents for their games. I ended up having to rewrite and do a ton of design stuff for em on the gameplay itself. Eventually, I realized that the percentage who get to lead the show is incredibly small, and that out of those they still have to answer to their publisher and the share holder's wallets.

Thing is it opened me up to a truth...I didn't want to be a part of someone else's stuff trying to make uncreative ideas better with my own creativity. I'm a niche gamer as is. I don't FPS, I'm sick of the sameyness most things have in the industry, and I swear to god most game studios forgot what a silhouette test was for... And here I was...suddenly completely financially secure and with the experience and skill to make whatever niche thing I wanted with or without someone else's company.

A part of me still wishes the paydays had come faster and I didn't have to be around so much redneckery in industry, but every day I come home and all the bills are paid and I get to make what I truly like and answer to no one. It'd be nice to one day have more people and crew, but I'll be damned if someone else has to go through what I did and work on something that doesn't pay them when what they truly need is a paycheck. I'll work with folks who dont need my thing to come out or go hungry and thats it.

In the end, I found my place. Indie. Its slow, its a lot of work, and it gets lonely at times. Its great fun though and its 100% uncompromised and for me I discovered that was my real dream. To get what I want because I'm a greedy bastard :D

I'm really thankful for QisTopTier though. His insight is keeping this thing on the rails. He became the perfect partner since he plays fucking everything hardcore. Makes him a treasure trove of concepts and movelist ideas to couple with my own ideas and grow into various art and characters. We feed off each other I think. I can code some, do concept like mad, animate 2d or 3d, and I learn software pretty fast, but with all that its kind of hard to do more than play a bit here and there and take notes. I aint got the time for the grind and thats where he comes and saves my ass from the fact that I can't do everything on my own. Without him constantly filling in gaps and analyzing ideas things would go out of control on designs and such quick. Especially once we start doin frame count stuff on attacks.

Here's to living your dreamsand working your asses off
:)

Beautiful post.

We are a beautiful community.

;_;

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Im unfortunately the cynical type that says dreams arent worth it, find a good paying job you are good at and use the money to enjoy life. Its why I work for a health insurance company and not in game development like I dreamed. In the end I'm happy, even if I find my work dumb

Well that's the thing, why not go indie and do it on your free time? That's what I did when I was preparing for medical school, it kept me from going insane. Granted, I'm a bit more fortunate since I can work in either software development or games, depending on which one provides better opportunities.

If film doesn't work out...at least I tried.

If it doesn't, I think I may give games a shot, but I want it to be indie. No AAA shit.

I have a lot of game ideas I'd love to pitch and I have them in conceptual form in my sketchbook.

You can have a template, but you gotta tailor the template

That's why they're templates

Does that even make sense idk

This template I'm following says to make sure you change it to adapt to each job you apply to.

I've worked as a bus boy/waiter for the same place for almost seven years so I've never had to do something like this before, especially for something this big.

mbpm1

This template I'm following says to make sure you change it to adapt to each job you apply to.

I've worked as a bus boy/waiter for the same place for almost seven years so I've never had to do something like this before, especially for something this big.

Yeah do that

Basically it's just another matchup

Emphasize the skills/experience/qualities you want to counter your employer's expectations

Huh. I didn't know that's how resumes work. I should probably ask someone who's done this before what to do.

Keep the basic format, but say, if you have an objective, don't put something droll like,"Objective: My goal is to work in the dildo packing industry." Make it tailored by reading the job summary page and pay attention to what buzz words it uses: i.e. "Objective: To procure a position as a packer for We Pack Dildos Inc. to increase my skill set in managing and working under pressure" or something. So you see the job summary has shit like "under pressure" or "managing" and use it in your objective. HR eats that shit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Ergo, objectives don't always work or are even required. But when starting out and with little experience, they help fill gaps and tell whoever is reading the resume your "story" and they may be interested in hearing more.

God damn it Cindi, you flaked on me ;_;

???

mbpm1

I heard that objectives are basically filler for most resumes and to put that in your cover letter.

That's just what I heard though.

Tik-Tok

What's the new job homie?

ShinMaruku

Where did I hear Ricki Ortiz is origininally from east coast, is it true that most of da current west coast talent from elsewhere?
(J Wong,Floe, Kobe, MJ)
Yaaasss

Yeah do that

Basically it's just another matchup

Emphasize the skills/experience/qualities you want to counter your employer's expectations

I don't know man, I feel like Hugo walking into these employers.

Keep the basic format, but say, if you have an objective, don't put something droll like,"Objective: My goal is to work in the dildo packing industry." Make it tailored by reading the job summary page and pay attention to what buzz words it uses: i.e. "Objective: To procure a position as a packer for We Pack Dildos Inc. to increase my skill set in managing and working under pressure" or something. So you see the job summary has shit like "under pressure" or "managing" and use it in your objective. HR eats that shit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Ergo, objectives don't always work or are even required. But when starting out and with little experience, they help fill gaps and tell whoever is reading the resume your "story" and they may be interested in hearing more.

Not sure if I'm tryna break into the dildo industry, but this sounds really useful. Thanks for the advice.

Justin Wong ‏@JWonggg 21h21 hours ago
SF4 players scared that SF4 will die and phase out! WELCOME TO OUR WORLD OF MARVEL MOFOS!! DONT FEEL GOOD RIGHT! KARMA IS A BITCH!!!

jwong still salty about that 0-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom