• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Except, you know, SF isn't dead.
Talking about SF4 obviously and if SF4 isn't at EVO then there's going to be a drastic down turn in high level activity based around the game. It already isn't going to be at Capcom Cup. Some tournaments will still have SF4 of course but 2016 is probably going to be the last big year for SF4.

On the other hand, we still got Marvel 3 for EVO AAAYYY!!!

Talking about SF4 obviously and if SF4 isn't at EVO then there's going to be a drastic down turn in high level activity based around the game. It already isn't going to be at Capcom Cup. Some tournaments will still have SF4 of course but 2016 is probably going to be the last big year for SF4.

On the other hand, we still got Marvel 3 for EVO AAAYYY!!!

I mean, most people that play Street Fighter 4 are just gonna move to 5, so even if it dies they have something to replace it. Meanwhile there's no Marvel 4 in sight and I think someone earlier mentioned that people are moving from Marvel to SF5/Anime

Maybe I should have said street fighter isn't dying, since Marvel isn't technically dead.

Dahbomb

The feels watching this video.

I mean, most people that play Street Fighter 4 are just gonna move to 5, so even if it dies they have something to replace it. Meanwhile there's no Marvel 4 in sight and I think someone earlier mentioned that people are moving from Marvel to SF5/Anime

Maybe I should have said street fighter isn't dying, since Marvel isn't technically dead.
Probably the last year for Marvel 3 as well at EVO. There aren't too many new games coming out between now and EVO aside from the big one SFV but by 2017 there will be a few new fighters that will be demanding that spot and then Marvel 3 will eventually have to bow out.

Maybe Capcom All Stars is announced and those players will have something closer to home they can move on to (and not be like where they are playing MVC3 AND SFV like say ChrisG/FChamp).

JeTmAn81

How much did Marvel 2 drop from its peak? It kept chugging for a decade with presumably only a small audience but lots of folks still showed up for 3.

Dahbomb

How much did Marvel 2 drop from its peak? It kept chugging for a decade with presumably only a small audience but lots of folks still showed up for 3.
Not the same era and not the same requirements EVO.

The entrants that MVC2 got near the end of its run would probably not be enough to be run at the modern EVOs.

Also in the MVC2 era there weren't as many games gunning for that spot.

Fraeon

Where did I hear Ricki Ortiz is origininally from east coast, is it true that most of da current west coast talent from elsewhere?
(J Wong,Floe, Kobe, MJ)
Yaaasss

It's interesting to me that a lot of the folks who moved to west coast to improve are the ones that dropped off the heaviest.

I don't even remember the last time I've heard of Chris G for instance. :p

Where did I hear Ricki Ortiz is origininally from east coast, is it true that most of da current west coast talent from elsewhere?
(J Wong,Floe, Kobe, MJ)
Yaaasss

jwong and ricky were both from new york part of emp before moving to west coast. Floe is from chicago. Chris G is also originally east coast. I believe NerdJosh moved out west but idk if he moved back

Dahbomb

It's interesting to me that a lot of the folks who moved to west coast to improve are the ones that dropped off the heaviest.

I don't even remember the last time I've heard of Chris G for instance. :p
I don't think most move to improve, they have other reasons to move (like financial or life related).

jerry1594

SF4 will be remembered as the most Mahvel of all SF games, right next to 3rd Strike. Yo Vulva, I'm ready to whoop that ass.

It was the PM lol
There is one marvel street fighter and that's alpha 3
Can't believe 99% of the fgc is statistically african american brogrammers

Tripon

lol at them calling that shit Capcom Cup

just tell us what it is really is: Street Fighter Cup
There arent a lot of companies that can handle multiple esports games. Even when they do like Valve with DOTA 2 and CS:GO, they do it in different genre.

If Capcom wants to make another fighter, it'll have to do it for a different reason than esports and tournaments.

There arent a lot of companies that can handle multiple esports games. Even when they do like Valve with DOTA 2 and CS:GO, they do it in different genre.

If Capcom wants to make another fighter, it'll have to do it for a different reason than esports and tournaments.

we know damn well Capcom aint making another fighting game any time soon

Dahbomb

That's a good point and I actually can't think of any company that has multiple major e sports titles in the same genre.

I guess that's what Capcom meant when they talked about fighters cannabalizing each other.

Rhapsody

Banned
SoCal doesn't have a big arcade anymore?

*stares blankly into the distance*

Super Arcade hasn't come back yet (making progress). As for tourney gaming spots, there's UGC at Vesper Arcade which is northwest of LA. We have WNF at esports arena which might be too far for you depending on how close you'll be living in LA. Round 1 is mostly just a gathering for the new Blazblue. There are UCI events at Irvine, but that's even further away from LA.

Socal's pretty spread out and somewhat quiet for now. But here's hoping for SFV to spark something again.

Fraeon

Meanwhile in northern Europe we're considered super active since we have like a group of 5-6 people who actively play TTT2/SF4 offline once a week. :p

Tripon

In SoCal, there is UGC in Panorama City, which is skethcy as fuck, Alex Valle's Wed. Night fights in Santa Ana which is taking a break until Feb when SFV drops. Those are the big tournament scenes that I can think of off the top of my head. There are still a few mom and pop Arcade places scattered in SoCal, but no idea if tournaments happen.

Then there are the stuff like Round 1 in Punete Hills and a couple of other locations in Socal, which has a Nesica cab, and did host a couple of anime tournamets, I think. Also has a couple of Tekken 7 cabs.

Anyway, wherever you move in SoCal, I think your best bet is to look if there is a Facebook FGC group at the local college and see if they host weeklies.

ten years ago my town had an active arcade in the mall. People played the fuck out of Tekken, DDR, Time Crisis, all kinds of shit. Slowly they just died off. Past year the arcade closed down, after being around since the 1970s. I was so distraught when I went there and the Time Criis 2 machine wasn't there, it had been there for a decade and every time I went there I beat it. Had the top score there for years. Straight up had an extensional crisis when I came by the arcade and it was just gone. Like it never existed at all.

Time crisis 2 is probably my most played arcade game, that or Galaga lol. The place I went to doesn't have it anymore, instead they have TC4, and one of the guns is broke :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom