• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayad

Why wouldn't Capcom just do a real single player mode? They are that much poorer than NRS/WB?
Not sure if a serious question, just in case, yes they are that much poorer than NRS/WB.

Seriously though, from what we've seen so far, SFV's budget might be lower than SFIV's. With SFIV they were showing CG trailer after CG trailer before release and every single character got two anime story cut-scenes and at least one in engine special intro. SFIV probably could have had a proper single player mode if resources were managed in a better way.

what if it's literally just the tutorial that they released a month ago

that was it
A lot of story mode talk VA was leaked, so we know there's more to it than that. ;p

Real question is, is the whole story mode just a series of still images?

Dahbomb

Yeah even with Sony's backing, SFV is a budget title even by Capcom fighters standard.

Though IMO whatever they have for SFV, it's being used more wisely I feel. They aren't spending it on fancy CG intros or crap like Cross Assault... it's being spend on the core game and infrastructure. The single player stuff only matters for Metacritic and to be honest if they had half assed it they would've gotten an even worse reception on it.

mbpm1

A lot of story mode talk was VA was leaked, so we know there's more to it than that. ;p

Real question is, is the whole story mode just a series of still images?

I hope not.

I thought SFIV arcade mode would be the last I would see of that kind of half-assing it.

I wonder if the story mode was one of those ambitious things Capcom wanted to do in the beginning along with every stage having multiple playable areas and finisher effects (like bowl of noodles).. But due to Capcom burning that Sony money too fast, possibly getting the budget cut, or wanting to release SFV as early as possible to capitalize on the f2p style model, Capcom decided to barebones it or leave whatever time at the end of development for scrapping together a story mode.

Dahbomb

I wonder if the story mode was one of those ambitious things Capcom wanted to do in the beginning along with every stage having multiple playable areas and finisher effects (like bowl of noodles).. But due to Capcom burning that Sony money too fast, possibly getting the budget cut, or wanting to release SFV as early as possible to capitalize on the f2p style model, Capcom decided to barebones it or leave whatever time at the end of development for scrapping together a story mode.
I always have to imagine that the EVO timeline messes with Capcom's own schedules. It's most optimum for them to release a fighter a few months before EVO but that means that they can't take too long with polishing the game or adding new things. On the other end if they do decide to delay they would have to wait A WHOLE YEAR to release the game.

Delaying a game by a whole year is really expensive these days, that's a lot of people you have to pay. So Capcom could've released SFV in 2017 before EVO with all the characters and planned content or they could've released it this year with less stuff.

Yeah there are a surprising amount of people that i've seen online that have bought MK just for the single player stuff.

We have to remember that as people who play these games multiplayer or even competitive, we're a minority.

So saying single player stuff is only for metacritic is lol status. Sorry Dahbomb.

jerry1594

Well the reason MK survived for 20 years is the over the top gore and maybe the first movie. Story mode being a big draw is a given.

Mizerman

Plus, MK always had story mode and single player esque stuff since the PS2 days. Not really a new concept for that franchise.

Zissou

I don't think so. I think story modes are important to drawing in potential new fighting game players. Say what you will about MK but I think its sales are partly due to the story mode.

Aren't the biggest games F2P titles where story is either nonexistent or completely throw-away?

ShinMaruku

Aren't the biggest games F2P titles where story is either nonexistent or completely throw-away?

Indeed but they are free to play and released at the perfect time. If you are gonna ask people for money, then you must do better than what Capcom has been serving. It's why they ain't close to the biggest earning in the FG space.

Marz

I dont give a fuck about story mode in any fighting game. Theres a bunch of fighting games i own where i've only touched training and offline versus.

Anytime spent wasted in story mode is time i could have spent leveling up imo.

Only time i force myself through story mode is if it unlocks gallery items.

VariantX

Well the reason MK survived for 20 years is the over the top gore and maybe the first movie. Story mode being a big draw is a given.

Yeah, MK went to some dark places before MK9 as far as gameplay was concerned, and was totally about its gimmicks along with its story and side modes.

I was told the story mode had some care this time but I don't know if that means 3D or just speed paintings from Bengus like the tutorial. As for single player modes, I had info about a single one of them and... It made me hype as fuck. Wait for the trailers about them.

Mizerman

I was told the story mode had some care this time but I don't know if that means 3D or just speed paintings from Bengus like the tutorial. As for single player modes, I had info about a single one of them and... It made me hype as fuck. Wait for the trailers about them.

Hmm...interesting.

Zissou

Indeed but they are free to play and released at the perfect time. If you are gonna ask people for money, then you must do better than what Capcom has been serving. It's why they ain't close to the biggest earning in the FG space.

Capcom's coming in at a pretty good time, imo. The efforts in F2P fighters have been pretty lackluster so far- sfv could certainly blow up. They have a better chance than any other fighter, at least.

shaowebb

Posted up some local match footage for Blade Arcus from Shining EX

Link: https://youtu.be/no8iHUCzt9Y

BXZCcSLh.png

Neat! I saw a tournament for this game on youtube near X-mas and in spite of some stuff people say it actually got pretty fun to watch. Gonna watch this after work. I really enjoyed watching the X-mas witch character fight with a giant popsicle.

Not sure if it's been posted but someone is working on a SFV frame data app for mobile devices. Only an Android version as of yet but iOS is in the works.

You can find it here.

Doesn't have any frame data yet since the game ain't out but it does have move lists for everyone except FANG and the frame data will be added prior to release.

via reddit

Current features:
•Complete move lists for all characters except F.A.N.G
•Descriptions explaining moves and their properties such as V-Skill and V-Trigger descriptions, invulnerability, overheads, armor, and so on. We’ll be adding more of these as the game nears release.

Upcoming features:
•Detailed frame data
•Player notes for each character and matchup
•Continued addition of move data and descriptions as more info comes to light as SFV’s release approaches
•… and more, which we’ll keep under wraps

After thinking about what I said I remembered that Marvel 3 was supposed to have a story mode and the Heroes and Herald came late after the game launch and now I'm scared I hyped myself for nothing. The game mode I referred to is still coming I think but I hope it's not all there is.

Coda

After thinking about what I said I remembered that Marvel 3 was supposed to have a story mode and the Heroes and Herald came late after the game launch and now I'm scared I hyped myself for nothing. The game mode I referred to is still coming I think but I hope it's not all there is.

They'll probably do a big story mode reveal like 2 weeks before the game launches or something. I still wouldn't put a lot of stock into story mode, I'm sure it will be a lot more robust than previous Street Fighter games but I can't see what else they'd do to not make it just fight after fight with cutscene after cutscene.

That story mode was scrapped due to time constraints laid on them by Marvel though if I'm not mistaken. Just because MvC3 had problems doesn't mean that SFV will, although I still expect the SP to be mediocre, not that it matters to me.

story modes go a long way to getting me to give a fighting game I would otherwise ignore a try. Even if I end up disliking the fighting I can at least still get something out of the game, and games where I really enjoy the story help me invest in the character I'm playing as.

Line_HTX

Outside of Blazblue, I don't really care much about some form of Story Mode in most FG's. The Scenario Campaign (rolls eyes) in T6 was okay, but really cheesy for the most part, and I just didn't care enough to enjoy who I use one way or another. I use characters who I think look good and hopefully have a decent chance, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not like having a Story Mode is that important. I highly doubt SF even needs one to be honest.

The Blazblue one is the only one where I cared to follow all the way through to this point, lol

Warxard

Banned
I guess Tokido's playing KI now...?

http://youtu.be/mDBUgDBYmYE I can't find the time stamp, but that's kind of interesting. Dude had a shit year competitive wise so the free money will be good :kappa:

nah maybe he likes the game

--

Story Modes in fighting games are for casuals who can't be bothered to learn special motions. Never saw the appeal. I like looking into the lore of a character but at the same time the stories usually aren't interesting enough for me to follow it through. Especially when these stories are literally cutscene > fight > cutscenex100. It's not creative.

Story Modes in fighting games are for casuals who can't be bothered to learn special motions. Never saw the appeal. I like looking into the lore of a character but at the same time the stories usually aren't interesting enough for me to follow it through. Especially when these stories are literally cutscene > fight > cutscenex100. It's not creative.
this is a pretty dickish generalization

Warxard

Banned
this is a pretty dickish generalization

If it comes off that way, I apologize. But I feel it's true. These kind of things aren't tailored to the competitive niche that support a FG's longevity. No one wants to go through tutorials. No one wants to 'learn', the only way that barrier to learn can be lowered if you cater to the passive majority who play FGs mostly as a 'rental' experience (because most if not all FGs are rental experiences to the vast majority.)

Why do you think Mortal Kombat does so well? Outside of it's (impressive) content for both SP and MP, it's story mode is the main meat and bones for those kind of players.

ShinMaruku

Capcom's coming in at a pretty good time, imo. The efforts in F2P fighters have been pretty lackluster so far- sfv could certainly blow up. They have a better chance than any other fighter, at least.

Actually 2 of the Free to play fighters did fairly well for themselves 1 of them having 1 million people buying dlc packs every time there is a dlc pack release.

FACE

Banned
I guess Tokido's playing KI now...?

http://youtu.be/mDBUgDBYmYE I can't find the time stamp, but that's kind of interesting. Dude had a shit year competitive wise so the free money will be good :kappa:

nah maybe he likes the game

--

Tokido has always played multiple games.

Warxard

Banned
Actually 2 of the Free to play fighters did fairly well for themselves 1 of them having 1 million people buying dlc packs every time there is a dlc pack release.

Titty City making Money, Honey.

Rising Thunder is doing dlc now?
Didn't know it was out officially

DoA and KI are the only two successful F2P fighters right now. Rising Thunder has potential...but then again, that's what I thought about PSABR.

Zissou

Selling swimsuit DLC to thirsty 17 year olds is inherently a niche market- it's never gonna be that big if that's all ya got.

Warxard

Banned
I think Single Player modes in FGs should look into the RPG-hybrid modes like BlazBlue's Abyss or Alpha 3's World Tour mode. There's definitely a lot of replayability in those game types if done correctly.

ShinMaruku

Titty City making Money, Honey.

DoA and KI are the only two successful F2P fighters right now. Rising Thunder has potential...but then again, that's what I thought about PSABR.

I think Tekken Revolution is doing fine. Also keep in mind DOA5 has a 4th season pass that did well >_>

It's doing so stupidly well you can't compare how much the others are doing compared to it. It's doing so well Hayashi is near Nolan status in Koei.

Also the best selling costumes are the seasonla based ones and the collabs not the extra pervy stuff and if you say 1 million people is niche in fighters, well...

Warxard

Banned
I think Tekken Revolution is doing fine. Also keep in mind DOA5 has a 4th season pass that did well >_>

It's doing so stupidly well you can't compare how much the others are doing compared to it. It's doing so well Hayashi is near Nolan status in Koei.

Also the best selling costumes are the seasonla based ones and the collabs not the extra pervy stuff and if you say 1 million people is niche in fighters, well...

Tekken Rev's doing well enough to keep the servers going, true.

I like DOA5 LR, gave me a good Christie and Jacky so I can't complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom