• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

Need my Fated Revolution now. The Lili screenshots weren't good enough to see if her new dress was cool looking enough. It's probably too frilly though...

XD
Too frilly? It can't be frilly enough! :V

games can survive without a story mode. I guess just with these games the story is ingrained plus having comics and movies about it also kind of stresses the fact that there should be one. Warhawk didnt have one and it was my goat ps3 game
I definitely think SFV could be fine without a story mode or any single player content of any kind. However, if they were going to do that they should have gone full eeeeeee-sports and gone all in on the online aspect instead of half-adding it like I suspect they are. It really does feel like they are trying to hit all of the bullet points expected of a big retail release and competitive online game without having the budget to do either well, never mind both.

Line_HTX

Pffftt.. Then what is the point of playing defense if you're not going to block?

Too frilly? It can't be frilly enough! :V

image.php

That's the criticism. It isn't comparing stories. It's comparing experience. Your time with a game will never be as established as with a movie.
Im not quite sure what you mean by established, but I find games to be the best story telling medium. I struggle to give a shit about books, movies, and shows, but with games and the interactive I get fully invested in the characters and worlds and just enjoy the stories that much more as a result. Due to this I'll take even a decent game story over an amazing story in another medium any day.

Mizerman

Competitive worship is where it's at in the hardcore FGC. We have players who transcend the characters they play. Daigo is more popular than Ryu.

That's nothing new for fighting games at all. I doubt it's "hate for story modes." I'm sure people would like a good story for fighting games as long as the effort was there. Problem is, Capcom's previous doings within SF's story has been half-assed as best. For the most part, a fighting game lives or dies based on the community. Story or not.

Its a simple question with a simple answer

Then I'll give a simple answer. I would rather have competent gameplay over a half-assed story mode. I don't want a half-assed story mode just to fulfill some quota. It would be nice to have a good story with great gameplay, though.

mbpm1

if this is a problem then I don't want it solved

If you have to ask, you're part of the problem tbh

Kappa

Then I'll give a simple answer. I would rather have competent gameplay over a half-assed story mode. I don't want a half-assed story mode just to fulfill some quota. It would be nice to have a good story with great gameplay, though.

Actually the answer was DaiGOAT but I agree with yours too

I would rather have competent gameplay over a half-assed story mode. I don't want a half-assed story mode just to fulfill some quota. It would be nice to have a good story with great gameplay, though.

It's so much easier to say, I wouldn't mind a well put together story mode. I since hostility in your use of the word assed. Care to unpack that? Edit: Also why fear monger about a departure from genre best gameplay? Story modes equal less than competent gameplay? Doesn't compute.

Sayad

It's so much easier to say, I wouldn't mind a well put together story mode. I since hostility in your use of the word assed. Care to unpack that? Edit: Also why fear monger about a departure from genre best gameplay? Story modes equal less than competent gameplay? Doesn't compute.
People usually refer to NRS's story mode and single player content push vs their horrible online mode and a competitive game that they kept having new ideas about how to fix every other week.

unless you're just scrolling text past the screen like an anime game story mode/VN, making single player content for games is really expensive, and it's hard to justify the cost especially if it comes with cutting back on other things. There's a reason why half of all indie games are roguelikes or procedural or otherwise don't have stories, because that shit is expensive.

People usually refer to NRS's story mode and single player content push vs their horrible online mode and a competitive game that they kept having new ideas about how to fix every other week.

I suspected as much. This is misplaced hate for the rival MK. So Capcom with the creation of a story mode will slowly evolve into a western developer the likes of Ed Boon and NetherRealms forsaking almost thirty years of solid gameplay. Ok, I think I've made my case.

Fear mongering- the deliberate use of fear based tactics including exaggeration and continual repetition to alter the perception of the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

notworksafe

i think you made the case that you have no idea what you are talking about.

of course the knuckleheads saying story mode is "casual" have no idea what they are talking about either. so you're both even.

Mizerman

There was no hostility when I typed out "half assed." That was my honest assessment on how I felt about previous efforts in the past for SF's story. Nothing more. Heck, SF is one of my favorite fighting games period. There is no "fear mongering." That's just terrible.

I've said that I would greatly enjoy a fighter that had a good story mode to accompany the gameplay. That's something I wouldn't mind. However, if story mode is just stuff that cluttered together with barely any effort to show for it, then I would rather it not exist. If there's a story mode, I want honest effort made into it.

Im not quite sure what you mean by established, but I find games to be the best story telling medium. I struggle to give a shit about books, movies, and shows, but with games and the interactive I get fully invested in the characters and worlds and just enjoy the stories that much more as a result. Due to this I'll take even a decent game story over an amazing story in another medium any day.

I mean set in stone.

ShinMaruku

Just because Capcom never did story right does not mean that there is no place for a story mode if it is done well.

Also since story is something outside the usual demographics it could grow the pie. Now the question is do you trust Capcom?

Huh, Puente Hills is where they hosted that Tekken 7 tournament. I wonder why they took it out.
I even went during week of xmas and it wasn't there. Only Tekken they had was 4 cabinets of TTag, a Tekken 6 cabinet and a monitor displaying matches from around the world.

I suspected as much. This is misplaced hate for the rival MK. So Capcom with the creation of a story mode will slowly evolve into a western developer the likes of Ed Boon and NetherRealms forsaking almost thirty years of solid gameplay. Ok, I think I've made my case.

Fear mongering- the deliberate use of fear based tactics including exaggeration and continual repetition to alter the perception of the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

What are you even talking about? who are you even talking to?

story mode can't melt steel beams?

Mizerman

Just because Capcom never did story right does not mean that there is no place for a story mode if it is done well.

Also since story is something outside the usual demographics it could grow the pie. Now the question is do you trust Capcom?

Of course. I'll never disagree with that.

At the same time, I'm still kinda wary of Capcom. I would like to be proven wrong, though.

ShinMaruku

Of course. I'll never disagree with that.

At the same time, I'm still kinda wary of Capcom. I would like to be proven wrong, though.

Capcom is kinda like sega, you don't think of them as having story chops, but some of their work actually has some compelling stories.
So the capibility is there and it should be encouraged if nothing else to get different eyes on the game for more variety,

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have a feeling the SFV went the way of the MvC3 Story Mode since they're not talking about it this close to release. Or it's going to come post-launch; didn't KI do something like that?

there's like a 99% chance SFV story mode will just be arcade mode with a <60 second ending for each character

just like nearly every other fighting game since the early 90s

a lot of AAA multiplayer games don't have story mode anymore because it's too expensive. Even Titanfall skipped that shit, if anything it's a miracle COD and Halo still bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom