• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it comes off that way, I apologize. But I feel it's true. These kind of things aren't tailored to the competitive niche that support a FG's longevity. No one wants to go through tutorials. No one wants to 'learn', the only way that barrier to learn can be lowered if you cater to the passive majority who play FGs mostly as a 'rental' experience (because most if not all FGs are rental experiences to the vast majority.)

Why do you think Mortal Kombat does so well? Outside of it's (impressive) content for both SP and MP, it's story mode is the main meat and bones for those kind of players.
but saying story modes are just for casuals who wont learn special moves is just wrong. Plenty of people enjoy story modes, a lot of hardcore players will skip them, but a large chunk will still play and enjoy them. Dustloop has an entire section dedicated to just story discussion and plenty of hardcore players are in there talking about them
Selling swimsuit DLC to thirsty 17 year olds is inherently a niche market- it's never gonna be that big if that's all ya got.
17 year olds don't have the money for DOA DLC

Warxard

Banned
but saying story modes are just for casuals who wont learn special moves is just wrong. Plenty of people enjoy story modes, a lot of hardcore players will skip them, but a large chunk will still play and enjoy them. Dustloop has an entire section dedicated to just story discussion and plenty of hardcore players are in there talking about them
17 year olds don't have the money for DOA DLC

Agree to disagree then.

Kalamari

Maybe Sony's plan is to gently push Capcom's share price downward and then later purchasing them when it's a better value.

that hori deal is not live and is in store pickup only...

any fgc that can swing by frys in georgia and ups me the stick if i order it? :p

Beckx

Story modes that switch between characters and have long cutscenes and all that are terrible.

All I want is an arcade mode with some storyboards every now and then.

SG did story mode right (Fukua story mode is the best).

I guess Tokido's playing KI now...?

http://youtu.be/mDBUgDBYmYE I can't find the time stamp, but that's kind of interesting. Dude had a shit year competitive wise so the free money will be good :kappa:

nah maybe he likes the game

--

Story Modes in fighting games are for casuals who can't be bothered to learn special motions. Never saw the appeal. I like looking into the lore of a character but at the same time the stories usually aren't interesting enough for me to follow it through. Especially when these stories are literally cutscene > fight > cutscenex100. It's not creative.

It's at 56:50 if it's the same video I linked in a chat.

Story Modes in fighting games are for casuals who can't be bothered to learn special motions. Never saw the appeal. I like looking into the lore of a character but at the same time the stories usually aren't interesting enough for me to follow it through. Especially when these stories are literally cutscene > fight > cutscenex100. It's not creative.

I feel like sure.

You're probably right. But you need to consider a few things first.

I have always loved fighting games but as an only child, I never had anyone to fight unless a friend came around, and once SF2 was over no one was interested. I lived in the burbs so I didn't have prime access to arcades. I WANTED to get better but didn't have the means nor the access to. So story modes were my only refuge, that and SFA3's World Tour mode. Things didn't pick up until Mahvel 2 came out, and even then, it was hard to organize fg meet ups with high schoolers who didn't have cars. So every once in a while, we'd have meet ups and play Project Justice or Mahvel or Soul Calibur all night. But they were rare.

But this also a time of DDR. So my local Tilt, which I could walk to, and went to many days of the week had mostly a DDR machine. The only fg machines we had were MAHVEL, which blew the fuck up every Friday night as locals occurred, Soul Calibur II cab - which I loved but no one played - and a big machine that was hooked up to a giant monitor for the recent BIG release. And guess what BIG releases happened between 2001 and 2004 - my high school years? Fucking nothing. We had Tekken 4, and that shit bombed. We had SVC and that bombed. We never got a single KOF in. Then our Tilt sort of gave up, we graduated, and it was history.

We arcade hopped. One night we drove to the Galleria for some Tilt action. We played CVS2 on a large monitor all fucking night. That is one of my most cherished memories. Funnily, NO ONE was about SF3 the way people are now, which I find fucking hilarious. Anyways, as high schoolers, who WANTED to get better, LOVED fighting games, we had little access to shit. Know who drove us to the Galleria? My friends grandma. In a city with SHIT public transport, for kids who lived out in the burbs we were shit out of luck besides hitting up Starcade. This was the age of limited online play, broadband wasn't as common, and none of us had xbox's to play games online.

Wanna know what my constant was? Guilty Gear XX story mode.

Why am I such a big GG fan? Besides it being fucking amazingly awesome, that mode right there. It had lots of content, and for a high schooler anime nerd, it was a good story too. Why am I able to get into GG more easily than BB? Because I know who the characters are, their origins, and have a connection with them. Liking the aesthetic more helps.

Anyways, after graduating high school I still loved fighters. I bought Street Fighter Anniversary on release day. Did anyone want to fight besides a few fights when I got it? Nope.

Eventually, I gave up on the genre. Wanting to get better but never having anyone to fight and having to resort to going through brain dead arcade modes where there's zero story and all you do is fight random people was boring. So I stopped buying fighting games despite loving them. Didn't help that arcades closed by the time I DID have a car.

But here I am now, thanks to online, and I bought GGXRd and BBCPEX based on the good will of XX's story mode. But now I can play more seriously and finally get good at fighting games because there's easier access for me to do so.

My point is that you shouldn't say that story modes are for casuals. For all we know, many of the people that play are people like me who at one time didn't have access to stuff to get better and they're doing it out of habit. MKX having shit netcode doesn't help. Also, there's a possibility that like me, they may eventually get on the path to playing these more competitively.

TLDR; story mode helps breed long term customers, and spoiled people who had access to arcades and people who want to play with them but are willing to throw anyone who likes those modes immediately under the bus are people who don't know how good they had it. If you have a local arcade, and public transport, and ways to fight people, congrats, you made it. People growing up in the 90's and 00's didn't always have that.

I'm also playing through XRD story mode during while I do my art for the night usually. Nothing casual about it.

has single player/cutscenes/story content every ruined a character for you?

Mk10's story mode completely ruined my interest in Kotal Kahn

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Funnily, NO ONE was about SF3 the way people are now, which I find fucking hilarious.

It was like this in my area, too. I don't remember this game getting 'big' (and that's only among the hardcore) until like 2004 with that Daigo/Justin match. It has got to be the least popular Street Fighter. Probably didn't help that there wasn't a home version of any kind released until 1999 (and I think that was 2000 outside Japan).

Capcom released Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on PS1. JOJO'S. But not Street Fighter III. Clearly they didn't care about cut frames with how their Vs. games turned out on that platform, lol. It always baffled me that there were no ports of any version of SF3 made to PS1 and especially Saturn with the 4MB RAM cart.

mbpm1

It was like this in my area, too. I don't remember this game getting 'big' (and that's only among the hardcore) until like 2004 with that Daigo/Justin match. It has got to be the least popular Street Fighter. Probably didn't help that there wasn't a home version of any kind released until 1999 (and I think that was 2000 outside Japan).

That Evo Moment 37 mentioned that this was basically the general case for 3s. People definitely got brought into it a lot more after the JPs came over

Capcom released Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on PS1. JOJO'S. But not Street Fighter III. Clearly they didn't care about cut frames with how their Vs. games turned out on that platform, lol. It always baffled me that there were no ports of any version of SF3 made to PS1 and especially Saturn with the 4MB RAM cart.

The Daigo parry is what made SFIII what it is today.

Assuming Amazon.com is similar to Amazon.co.uk those sticks are down in price all the time so I wouldn't worry too much.

Edit: Damn NeoGAF hyperlinks .com but not .co.uk. Rude.

I need a stick now and with SFV coming out in a month it was the perfect time to transition to stick while also learning GG and being more aware of my poor execution.

Fun fact...had to edit code once where there were few notes and the fucker DIDN'T INDENT.

I burst out laughing. Unindented code is from hell.

Glad you got that hustle and made it happen! I sorta fell into what I now know was my real dream after rough shit happened...

I worked my ass off, but the college bills hit me hard before the pay ever could. Like you said ..."Fuck. College." Couldn't pay it so had to resort to industrial work in WV to not go under. Everyone wanted to pay me in experience in the game industry after college *fucking eyeroll*. The last couple of indy things I was a part of the dudes hardly even had functional design documents for their games. I ended up having to rewrite and do a ton of design stuff for em on the gameplay itself. Eventually, I realized that the percentage who get to lead the show is incredibly small, and that out of those they still have to answer to their publisher and the share holder's wallets.

Thing is it opened me up to a truth...I didn't want to be a part of someone else's stuff trying to make uncreative ideas better with my own creativity. I'm a niche gamer as is. I don't FPS, I'm sick of the sameyness most things have in the industry, and I swear to god most game studios forgot what a silhouette test was for... And here I was...suddenly completely financially secure and with the experience and skill to make whatever niche thing I wanted with or without someone else's company.

A part of me still wishes the paydays had come faster and I didn't have to be around so much redneckery in industry, but every day I come home and all the bills are paid and I get to make what I truly like and answer to no one. It'd be nice to one day have more people and crew, but I'll be damned if someone else has to go through what I did and work on something that doesn't pay them when what they truly need is a paycheck. I'll work with folks who dont need my thing to come out or go hungry and thats it.

In the end, I found my place. Indie. Its slow, its a lot of work, and it gets lonely at times. Its great fun though and its 100% uncompromised and for me I discovered that was my real dream. To get what I want because I'm a greedy bastard :D

Here's to living your dreamsand working your asses off
:)

Yeah. I love to write and to teach people things, but I'd never want either of those to be my profession. Then I'd write to write, not because I want to write. Seen people doing writing as a gig and it's just horrid.

One interesting definition of scholarship I've heard is studying something as a leisure activity, because you're free to and it happens to be of interest. Not because it's work.

Meanwhile in northern Europe we're considered super active since we have like a group of 5-6 people who actively play TTT2/SF4 offline once a week. :p

Smash is alive at Happi at least :p
GG kinda too I guess. Rest is smalltime.

Patrick Miller gave us a shout out y'all! We made it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9MVOnppOag

Mmm. Personality psychology's my jam. <3
If anyone wants a nice, layman-compatible book on the Big Five system, Daniel Nettle's Personality: What makes you the way you are is a great introduction to the subject.

I'm reading the Gamasutra article Pat linked to in his video description and it's really great. The outlines map pretty well at least to my Big 5 traits, so go take an IPIP-numbers, see the results and go see if your tastes are predictable :p

has single player/cutscenes/story content every ruined a character for you?

Mk10's story mode completely ruined my interest in Kotal Kahn
Street Fighter IV turned Hugo into a whimpering, potato-craving momma's boy of a manbaby. Makoto reduced to clumsy waifu bait with prominent daddy issues.

Then again, Capcom can't even make up their own mind when attempting to stick to a narrative outline in the same game. Case in point: painting Akuma as this hardcore demonic edgelord (ignoring that he wasn't really all that much of a villain in the past) and then they casually have him take a selfie with Elena.

ioqhjk.png

The general characterizations in Guilty Gear XRD are also kind of shit, coming off of X2. Doesn't help that XRD's story mode is a joke on its own accord too.

ShinMaruku

Street Fighter IV turned Hugo into a whimpering, potato-craving momma's boy of a manbaby. Makoto reduced to clumsy waifu bait with prominent daddy issues.

Then again, Capcom can't even make up their own mind when attempting to stick to a narrative outline in the same game. Case in point: painting Akuma as this hardcore demonic edgelord (ignoring that he wasn't really all that much of a villain in the past) and then they casually have him take a selfie with Elena.

ioqhjk.png

The general characterizations in Guilty Gear XRD are also kind of shit, coming off of X2. Doesn't help that XRD's story mode is a joke on its own accord too.
Wait till you find out what Akuma did for Kazumi. :p

jerry1594

Story modes that switch between characters and have long cutscenes and all that are terrible.

All I want is an arcade mode with some storyboards every now and then.

SG did story mode right (Fukua story mode is the best).
I would've liked animated cutscenes honestly but that was far beyond their budget.

ioqhjk.png

That picture makes me think of the old flash parodies they did before Marvel vs Capcom 3 came out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdNSG6Boxkk&feature=youtu.be&t=1m15s

:p

notworksafe

I respectfully disagree with you sir, I've been trying to get rid of this for months

snxv4znh.jpg

I'll take Guilty Gear over Melty Blood any day of the week.

If I didn't already have MBAA I'd take it off your hands in a second. I enjoyed some GG back in the day but I've always preferred its aesthetic over gameplay. For MB I enjoy that it's a single-player Marvel in many ways without being as dumb as Marvel.

Line_HTX

Wait till you find out what Akuma did for Kazumi. :p

Akuma is simply paying back a debt to Kazumi... or something like that.

Need my Fated Revolution now. The Lili screenshots weren't good enough to see if her new dress was cool looking enough. It's probably too frilly though...

XD

notworksafe

that i don't know. if you sign up right now for daily emails with a throwaway email you'll get one of their codes you have to call in and verify. that'll give you access to the $99 price if the stick gets back into stock online.

Line_HTX

Hmm... Looks like the Fry's near my house has both of these sticks in stock for pickup. What Hori Kai stick to choose though...

notworksafe

i'd take a fry's or a microcenter here. the deals i see from those store...good lord.

fry's is really shit online but their in-store staff and stock is great. and microcenter only does in-store

games can survive without a story mode. I guess just with these games the story is ingrained plus having comics and movies about it also kind of stresses the fact that there should be one. Warhawk didnt have one and it was my goat ps3 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom