• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting again if anyone is interested in Gunslinger Stratos 3. Trying to find more footage other than the Team Razer stuff. Game is fun, very fuwastep heavy.
i wanted to try gundam, IS, and dissidia while I was in japan but I ignored all of them not wanting to embarass myself trying to figure out how to play them with the language barrier

Shun

I went to the loketest for Gunslinger Stratos 3 the other day and the lines were decent considering GS2 is pretty dead at the moment since GS3 and Reloaded for PC are coming out soon.

You can go try playing GS2 if your center has it, not many people are playing because it's pretty dead right now until the game is out. The controls aren't difficult with the gun controllers and IR aiming.

I don't really think Dissidia is all that special but that's probably because it's the first revision of the game and it's still building up. It's fun I guess but it isn't as fulfilling as other 3D type games.

EXVS is pretty easy to get into if your game center separates the cabinets into player level blocks. Playing in a C block section for beginners to learn to play is fine and the controls are really simple. It's just movement, fuwastep, and learning neutral that is harder in Gundam since the gameplay is heavily reliant on your positioning on the map.

It's kind of hard to get an understanding of the game without actually playing it for a bit for me.

So can't really tell much from those videos, but wow being a running character on that circular stage suuuucks. Just falling through large portions of the floor like that because why not, sheesh.

The camera system could be a better too, not sure how I feel like about the opacity changing constantly on characters and objects because the view keeps getting blocked.

Shun

It's kind of hard to get an understanding of the game without actually playing it for a bit for me.

So can't really tell much from those videos, but wow being a running character on that circular stage suuuucks. Just falling through large portions of the floor like that because why not, sheesh.

The camera system could be a better too, not sure how I feel like about the opacity changing constantly on characters and objects because the view keeps getting blocked.
So are you shooting at a screen for this or how does the setup work?
details_img01.png

Gunslinger Stratos 2 Battle Arena basics

It is 4v4 team battle with gun device controllers. The two guns are light guns that help you aim while the other buttons on the gun let you jump, move, and switch lock on targets.

The left gun analog is for movement while the right is for locking on to your opponent.

Each character has a set of weapons and they serve a different purpose. The default is through dual wielding both gun controllers and using the triggers to shoot. The gun controllers are magnetic so you can combine the guns different ways to use your other weapons by either combining them side by side or on top of each other.

The game is pretty fun but EXVS is the better and more polished game. It has simpler controls and has a more depth but Gunslinger Stratos appeals to a different set of players since the audience doesn't really overlap.

It's very fuwastep heavy and you really need to rely on jump cancelling and shooting to avoid fire from your other opponents because your life is relatively lower compared to say Gundam. The goal is basically to time out or reduce the cost gauge of the other team. Dissidia is different and the controls for that game is grounded but I think these two are more fun that DFF

Fuudo, the Fei Long Street Fighter player, plays Gunslinger Stratos pretty regularly.

Dahbomb

Why dont any 3D fighters have dial-a-combo or magic chains?
They do. Tekken has 10 hit combos which is basically dial in combo strings that suck.

3D fighters tend to have strings rather than magic chains. And the strings are always character specific. That's why with some characters you can mash some buttons and some string of hits will come out anyway. Some characters have basic strings like f+1,1,1,1,1.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Sure figure out a character

Yay, time to find a character. It'll most likely be Faust but we'll see.

Have you stopped doing desperation rolls in to red focus? If not then I'm an awful teacher.

Real talk, I do that after we've had like more than enough matches where I get tired of losing against Chun Li. Throughout an entire tournament, I probably do it once or twice cause I know its bad, but otherwise, I rip it a new hole and spam it. If Nemo does it, I do it too :E

vulva

Yay, time to find a character. It'll most likely be Faust but we'll see.

Real talk, I do that after we've had like more than enough matches where I get tired of losing against Chun Li. Throughout an entire tournament, I probably do it once or twice cause I know its bad, but otherwise, I rip it a new hole and spam it. If Nemo does it, I do it too :E

the mentality shouldn't be that if someone does it, you should but rather to understand why someone does it.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
the mentality shouldn't be that if someone does it, you should but rather to understand why someone does it.

Why take my joke and turn it around on me? Are you not entertained with my tears?! IS IT NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU?! WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME VULVA!

Zissou

That Cerebrawl thread got me thinking... that success rate on indie fighters seems kind of terrible. Some games never saw the light of day, and of those that actually got out the door, how many have have some semblance of a scene? I can think of:
-Skullgirls
-Divekick
uhhhh

Dahbomb

That Cerebrawl thread got me thinking... that success rate on indie fighters seems kind of terrible. Some games never saw the light of day, and of those that actually got out the door, how many have have some semblance of a scene? I can think of:
-Skullgirls
-Divekick
uhhhh
Man that Cerebrawl thread was such a bait for me.

"It's like MVC2 guys!"

"It's 2v2"

Does it even have assists? What's makes it "like" MVC2 in the first place?

-Skullgirls
-Divekick
uhhhh

Skullgirls has a scene?

Dlent

So what do all the proponents of a Marvel game without the Marvel brand think of the relative unpopularity of SkullGirls?

notworksafe

i'm making a new 5v5, 10 man fighter. it's made in the vein of ST and SoulCal 2. Also I'm a tournament vet and OG. give me money please.

So what do all the proponents of a Marvel game without the Marvel brand think of the relative unpopularity of SkullGirls?

Hey man, Capcom brand name still got pull. Probably the only non-Nintendo company who can even conceivably do an All-Stars game. That plus Capcom marketing plus an art style that doesn't throw off normal people...?

Not like Capcom making any fighters any time soon...thanks SFxT

Hey man, Capcom brand name still got pull. Probably the only non-Nintendo company who can even conceivably do an All-Stars game. That plus Capcom marketing plus an art style that doesn't throw off normal people...?

Not like Capcom making any fighters any time soon...thanks SFxT
lots of companies can pull off all stars, square enix for example

Zissou

Bunch of reasons:

-tiny cast for an assist/tag fighter

-the whole assist/tag thing being optional

-not a 'problem' but Skullgirls lacks the verticality and aerial mobility MvC2 and MvC3 are known for

-marvel 3 was still a behemoth when Skullgirls was released

-very divisive art style and all female cast greatly limited its appeal

-completely new/unknown characters (as opposed to a Capcom-made vs. game would still have well-known/loved characters)

-marvel 3 did a lot to make it easy to mess around with multiple characters to allow players to (fairly) easily experiment with different teams and explore character synergies (which is the point of a vs. style game in the first place). Skullgirls with it's 6 button SF-ish control scheme, it's need for weird button combinations to call assists,etc., hinders experimentation since it takes more work to play any one character at a decent enough level to try them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom