• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

Indie developers probably feel strongly about creating a game THEY want to create versus one that would have widespread appeal. They would probably feel a like they were selling out if they were to create a game that had widespread appeal if it wasn't what they originally imagined.

AAA developers probably don't give shit about creating something original, because they are in it for the dollars. Indies probably have way more pride.

Shit, top of page.

Justin says he played Unison League during Capcom Cup. I wonder if his mobile game habits are washing him up.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Wait people saying kof isn't a team based fighting game? What a world!

What actual team dynamics are in play in that game other than meter management? (e.g. Some characters are better fit to build meter than to use it, or vice versa.)

Matches in games like KOF play out largely between individual characters. An assist-based game changes match-ups dramatically, to the point where it makes more sense to talk about strategy and match-ups between character pairings than individual characters.

vulva

What actual team dynamics are in play in that game other than meter management? (e.g. Some characters are better fit to build meter than to use it, or vice versa.)

Matches in that game play out largely between individual characters. An assist-based game changes match-ups dramatically, to the point where it makes more sense to talk about strategy and match-ups between character pairings than individual characters.

Why do the dynamics of tag team based games have to define all team based gameplay?

In KOF you are required to be able to perform with all three characters you select, health and meter carry over between rounds and character selection will impact how you approach the game. How on earth doesn't that qualify as team based? Just because you don't talk about kof the same way as marvel doesn't make it not team based. They're just different approaches to the team based fighting game.

Like reading your post right now all I'm seeing is you saying that because of the way team construction is put together in marvel (or similar games) it somehow invalidates a different kind of team based game, which is pretty asinine.

Shouta

Match-up, battle order, synergy (stuff like not having two meter hogs) etc. It's a team game like baseball and putting the right character in the right position (order) or having the right character for the situation can get really important. It's obviously not a tag-team game so it's not subject to tag-team mechanics there are still considerations you want to consider for teams.

Unless baseball isn't a team game...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wasn't that Dry Eye Relief? I thought he declined it because he's generally pissy

Ding ding ding!
SnLQY42.png

Is Curling no longer a team sport?

Your Canadian pride is showing.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The reason I believed he declined is because notworksafe took a jab at him in his interview (rip Enzo) cause of a discussion from a previous FGW. These are lost forever in the annals of NeoGAF so its ancient history. Good times.

Line_HTX

The reason I believed he declined is because notworksafe took a jab at him in his interview (rip Enzo) cause of a discussion from a previous FGW. These are lost forever in the annals of NeoGAF so its ancient history. Good times.

What discussion was this?

Zissou

....what exactly would be a not alienating visual style for a new fighting game, though? Really, I'm drawing a blank here.

There are lots if visual design in various media that is distinct, well-liked, and without elements that would inherently alienate large chunks of their potential audience. I don't know why indie fighting games have such a hard time with it. Making 10 or 20 character that lots of players end up loving is really damn hard, but before you cross that hurdle, you have to make stuff that isn't an instant turn-off.

Crocodile

One thing to consider about Skullgirls is that it wasn't a casual game made for a casual audience. Despite it's other issues, it still wasn't aimed at being a super popular game. It's a game made for fellow fighting game enthusiasts. So it being unpopular in the general sense shouldn't really shock anyone. Now as to whether it has gained any traction in the FGC, well not at first but I felt in the last year or so the game has made a nice little resurgence and is well respected in the FGC. Only thing it really needs at this point is to somehow get on the EVO line up but without the entrants it won't be able to do that and this point right here circles back to the initial point... that Skullgirls wasn't a game made with a wide appeal.

In terms of tournament attendance, 2015 was overall the best year the game has seen. *Looks it up* Seems 89 people showed up for NEC 16. Seems fine for an indie game.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Skullgirls having 6 buttons of normals per character. It's a lot of normals to memorize for a 3-man team.

Also, I would have a hilarious time playing Dormammu 1v1. He would be so top tier, haha.

# buttons is a function of both the IPS (more normals means more options) and because my understanding is that Capcom has a copyright on the button setup they have for Marvel.

Skullgirls kinda seems like Mike Z had a bunch of ideas fighting game mechanic ideas he'd accumulated throughout the years and tried to put all of them in a single game. Being a small independent studio meant they could do whatever they wanted, but it seems like they overlooked big/important questions (Does a tag fighter with this number of characters make sense? Does the Street Fighter-esque 3P/3K button scheme make sense for a tag fighter? IPS may do its job at making infinities impossible, but does it make doing/discovering combos enjoyable/satisfying? Is it easy for players to intuit how IPS functions? A ratio system gives players flexibility but it also makes it seem like we don't know what we want the game to be- is it a good idea?)

I mean there's an argument of whether an idea worked or not but nothing about this comes down to "they don't know what they want to do". I already explained the number of buttons. Ratio system was to try to increase team possibilities and entry points based on a small roster. IPS has been locked down for a good while now so I don't think its hard to intuit but it is unlike most systems in other games so it is weird in how its "unique". With regards to cast size, I mean obviously a bigger cast for a team fighter is better and I think it matters more for that type of fighter than a 1v1 fighter but nothing is inherently incompatible about having a smaller roster with a team fighter. I'm not sure that's a deal breaker for casuals (no cries of "where's Mega Man") and at higher levels a many in the UMvC3 cast and the vast majority of the MvC2 cast are unusable anyway. I mean the final product won't please everybody (no final product can) but I don't think any questions weren't seriously considered and addressed in what the developers thought was the best way possible.

Contextually, I felt we were talking with assists.

IPS is a pain in the ass. I played at locals a few months ago and was like "Oh, my bnb doesn't work anymore due to an IPS change".

Has MikeZ ever explained why he didn't go with simple hitstun deterioration?

Yes in detail but its been years so I can't say I remember. At some point or another Mike has pretty much written a long and through justification for pretty much every design decision he has ever made. They are just not all collected neatly in one nice spot. Maybe go on twitter and just ask him? I mean, unlike the vast majority of other fighting game developers, Mike is actually pretty easy to reach and actually speaks English!

....what exactly would be a not alienating visual style for a new fighting game, though? Really, I'm drawing a blank here.

Just make it look like Street F......

*remembers R.Mika threads*

you know what? I don't know
:p

Indie developers probably feel strongly about creating a game THEY want to create versus one that would have widespread appeal. They would probably feel a like they were selling out if they were to create a game that had widespread appeal if it wasn't what they originally imagined.

AAA developers probably don't give shit about creating something original, because they are in it for the dollars. Indies probably have way more pride.

This is true. If you're going to go indie, its because you want as much control over what you get to do as possible. If you're just going to make a game that plays and looks exactly like the "big boys", why not save yourself the stress and work for them?

jerry1594

Pre-Coop and Coop is gonna be amazing. Basically every great player ever is gonna be there, except Kuroda Rikimaru and famous players from like 10 years ago.

Welp, that completely ruined my hour. I figured I'd respond to some of the posts in here after a jazzy 3S time and an accidental Sassy VSav encounter (40+ matches that left my neck feeling like Homer's after he hulked out, but those were great fights nonetheless. After finishing half of my post (most of it being somewhat lengthy and measured responses to Dahbomb who said some good stuff) I accidentally reloaded the page.The only music that could describe what I felt at that moment must have been this. Excuse whatever spelling and grammatical errors you encounter because I'm DONE.
Once you managed to hook someone in based on the allure of the team mechanics... then you had to deal with vanilla Skullgirls which was a mess. The IPS kept changing and even then originally you had long combos and just some weird shit with it. It was really hard to keep up with so many iterations on those changes. It's good now but it was a lot asking people to stick around for over a year before these problems were fixed.
Yeah, it was pretty bad, but mostly because Mike and the rest of the team at Lab Zero had no way of knowing that Autumn and Konami were about to be sued to oblivion. Litigation-Gate was disastrous (obviously, losing their jobs and adding an entire sequel's worth of content and features while working at noodle cup wages is no joke). Nine months is really fast for a UMvC3 expansion, but pretty shitty for a game that clearly had issues (and a lack of characters) at launch.
Next problem is that initially and arguably still to this day... Skullgirls simply does not have the character roster size to accommodate for a potential 3v3 fighter. If you have like 9 characters starting out and you need to build a team of 3... well you are using 1/3rd of the cast on your team already! Being able to use any move for an assist is an excellent feature that Enzo will come in and berate on but he's wrong and should not be catered to... but the issue is that the best move for an assist generally gets figured out and you will still end up with the same few team configurations that work. So you still need a lot of characters for this to work well.
I can understand the character size issue. Without the ratio system it'd be a far bigger problem than it is now (really, it's much better at fourteen characters).

In regards to the assists, I'm glad that we're on a similar page, but you'd be surprised by the sheer amount of assist variety that persists to this day. A lot of these characters have moves they have no business using in the first place as grapplers, RTSD characters, keepaway characters and chargers, so the end result is pretty interesting. Big Band has what is most likely the best DP assist in the game, but he's also got a wall creating near full screen wall punch, an overhead assist and a very good charged grab assist with an AA option if that is your flavor). It's the same with other characters like Peacock who has four different projectile assists that range from far away overhead use to solid close range blockstring use). The sheer number of armored assists in the game (that aren't even the best for their respective characters, I might add) is also amazing. Aside from Painwheel I can't think of another character that ended up in that Haggar Lariat/Hsien-Ko Gold Pendulum ghetto.
The character ratio system is also something that is debatable. I personally like it but for others it might not be very appealing. When you first get into the game you think "man I should just concentrate on one character and play a solo character" and then you get locked into a single character not willing to try out a multi character team. It's one of those things that is better to pick one option rather than have the user be able to use all possible options. It's both a strength and a weakness of the game.
I don't know if I'd still be playing the game if it didn't have the ratio system. I wasn't ultra fond of being stuck with three characters in MvC3, but back then there wasn't a fighter in my mind that made such an idea work so smoothly. After a couple of years of duo teams I have decided to move to a trio team by including Squigly into my ParaBella sandwhich. The process is moving along more smoothly than I expected and I'm a really stubborn guy that doesn't like changing configurations or characters.
In a team based game you expect players to play multiple characters at a decent level and for that to be a reality you need to make each individual character easier to play. It's hard enough learning 3 characters by themselves but then also learning how they play with each other on a team, learning their assist/DHCs timings and then learning 3v3 team match ups... it's a brutal experience starting out.
The other problems are more minor but they are still substantial to talk about when framed in the context of a MVC2 successor. The game is 6 buttons but assists require you to press two buttons. The game is trying to be SF-esque with its button lay outs but it has a lot of other double button inputs for stuff like throws and assists. The appeal of a game like MVC2 is that you have easy one button throws and one button assists. It's a complexity issue that sort of pushes away newcomers (and Skullgirls has enough of that as it is). MVC2/MVC3 are definitely not newcomer friendly but starting out it's easier to grasp into the 4 attack buttons and two assist buttons. It's easy to air throw people and call assists which feed into the fast paced, team based play style of the game.
I know it can't be me because I see that SG has clicked with a lot of other people (even some first timers who joined the genre with SG). All the helping tools like 360 protection, the IAD buffer, the lenient chain system, super short charge times and the simplified inputs (no double quarter circles, almost zero DPs and only one 360 motion) have made this game very learnable even without combo trials (God, I miss those). It can't be a coincidence that this is the only fighter besides MvC3 where I can complete a 40 hit combo without needing Strider's Ouroboros lmao. I mention below that going with six buttons was risky, but the Mike really pulled through in terms of playability and ease of use. Aside from SF2, VSav and SG there really aren't many six button fighters as easy to play and learn with. The one button assist issue might be an annoyance for stick players, but macros work perfectly fine for pad players in my experience. In regards to throws... I'm not a big fan of the mvc3 option select and in from what I remember most fighters have people input throws with two buttons.

Honestly, if it weren't for my time with VSav I might have struggled more with SG and if it weren't for SG I might not be playing Alex or Urien in 3S today since they have a lot of charge moves and even 360 motions (in Alex' case because who the fuck doesn't powerbomb with Alex!?).
Another smaller issue is that the game doesn't really emulate the pace and structure of MVC2/MVC3. I am not talking just about the speed here (Skullgirls is fast but not as fast) but rather the verticality of the action. Super jumping is kinda limited in Skullgirls as is aerial mobility for most of the cast (Painwheel is really the closest to an aerial character in Skullgirls) so that focuses most of the combat on the ground. MVC3 did this as well a bit compared to MVC2 but a lot of the action was still in the air with characters with really fast dashes and flights. This structuring of the action is what really separates the Marvel games from many other anime games combined with the team based game play (which to be fair Skullgirls does emulate well).
Thank God for that as far as I'm concerned. I accepted it in MvC2 at the time, but as Melee and Smash in general grew I began to dislike how super jumps wouldn't zoom the camera back a bit just so that we can see both players. It's not quite dizzying or disorienting, but I don't like it. SG sits somewhere between GG and VSav in the verticality department (so long as we don't include dust overheads) and I'm perfectly okay with that. It wouldn't bother me if Mike increased the super jump height by 25% (or so) for Skullgirls 2. Once we get more air friendly characters like Hive and Feng it would be a pretty good idea.
Skullgirls is one of the closest games to MVC2/MVC3 but it's still not a "Mahvel" game (and I am not talking about Marvel characters here obviously). Mike Z can call it MVC2-like as much as he wants but it doesn't hit the same notes as that game does.
I guess we'd have to agree to disagree on this one. Aside from the verticality issue it feels like more of a proper sucessor mechanically than MvC3 does in my eyes.
One thing that many people don't get is that these team based fighters don't really work well in bringing in newer audiences if each individual character requires almost SF character level of mastery to play.
I figured SF character levels of mastery is just about the base for most 2D fighting game characters with lower (or higher) difficulty depending on the developer (Think ASW's buffers, Lab Zero's 360 protection or KOF's crazy ass motions). MvC3 characters mostly feel easier because their big damage supers are downright toddler friendly compared to raging demon inputs or double quarter circles (fuck double backwards quarter cirlces).
Despite having only 9 or so characters, Skullgirls is still a fairly difficult game to play at a 1v1 level and when you expand that team vs team it becomes even harder to grasp. As opposed to if you played MVC3 1v1 it would be a very basic and vanilla (even boring) 2D fighter where you had 3 attack buttons and a launcher only.
Yeah, people do get spooked by the extra two buttons and unique launchers too easily. Those are literally the only major control differences between the two titles.
just from the outside, it looked like Mike Z liked a LOT of different Capcom fighters and just kinda threw them all together. Like he really like Marvel, but he also wanted SF complexity, with some Darkstalkers and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure thrown in for good measure.
More or less
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Skullgirls having 6 buttons of normals per character. It's a lot of normals to memorize for a 3-man team.
I would have felt the same way had I not discovered VSav before SG. There really aren't that many super fast six button fighters out there even with anime included. Six button Street Fighter is one thing, but six button Marvel/VSav is an entirely different matter. Between assists, precision snapbacks (don't want to waste a bar snapping in the full health character while all the red from your target heals) and grabs it can become a bit daunting. For whatever reason I got lucky and it doesn't bother me which makes no sense because I suck at combos.
Skullgirls wasn't a very good game when it first came out, let's be real here. People are quick to forget stuff like Double Butt slam assist and the first few iterations of the IPS.
Believe me when I say that people who actually played against that extensively have not forgotten. I think I expanded upon the whole launch debacle earlier in my post. It was a rough first nine months. The IPS being so lenient just provided me and many other people with laughs lol. I've seen too many Mahvel length combos to care about who is performing them, so the ToDs were good fun, but the game certainly changed for the better.
Even at the most basic, non-technical level, just smacking someone around with Hulk's buttons flat-out felt better than anything in that game, too.
Controversial opinion here but the feel of hits in MVC3 are unmatched in any of the current crop of 2D fighters. They really nailed the look and feel of the game.
The posts of men who haven't experienced enough diamond encrusted level three happy birthdays, skeleton stabbings from Eliza, Big Band rush punches (or cymbal flashes holy fuck) or Beowulf chair smashing crossups.

I think SF4, MvC3 and SG were the cream of the crop in terms of audiovisual hit impact in impact for fighters last generation. Brawl was super soft compared to Melee in that regard and BB's hits have always sounded substandard compared to Guilty Gear's. Most anime fighters in general tend to have very little audio or tactile impact in my experience. As far as video games go I know all ya'll will back me up when it comes to Ninja Gaiden. A visceral audio and tactile video game experience if there ever was one
Kind of funny that the game had depth in all the wrong places though; do you think the game would have been more successful if they made every character half as detailed, in regards to both gameplay and art, but with twice as many of them?
Six buttons was certainly a risky move, but I don't think it would have brought much more people in. This is an old genre full of IPs and companies with long histories and most people who stuck with it even at a mid level have their firm choices and preferences.
I think with a 3v3 you need like 30+ characters. The scope of a true 3v3 is really beyond that of Skullgirls. It was an ambitious title to begin with. Mike Z definitely tried though and I give him credits.
Dahbomb pls

Twenty characters seems like a fine floor if said fighter uses a ratio system. We'd also run the risk of only having Capcom titles to pl-
Skullgirls still has some excellent ideas for a future game in this same style if someone wants to attempt it (and by someone I mean Capcom, let's be real here folks).
Fugg
Skullgirls kinda seems like Mike Z had a bunch of ideas fighting game mechanic ideas he'd accumulated throughout the years and tried to put all of them in a single game. Being a small independent studio meant they could do whatever they wanted, but it seems like they overlooked big/important questions (Does a tag fighter with this number of characters make sense? Does the Street Fighter-esque 3P/3K button scheme make sense for a tag fighter? IPS may do its job at making infinites impossible, but does it make doing/discovering combos enjoyable/satisfying? Is it easy for players to intuit how IPS functions? A ratio system gives players flexibility but it also makes it seem like we don't know what we want the game to be- is it a good idea?)
A lot of the foundation for SG was built around the idea that they'd update it with DLC until the final game looked like a sequel when compared to the vanilla version. Anyone who played the original would probably say that they easily reached the goal with 2nd Encore. Unfortunately it's been anything but smooth. The first nine months was the worst of it, but a bad (not horrific because KOF XII and SFxT still exist lol) nine month first impression is almost impossible to shake.
Also CVS2 is the greatest 3v3 fighter of all time you scrubs
Eh, it's not as hectic as Marvel or as balanced as SG. It's still a fun fighter and it's style is easily in the top echelon. If there is a fighter out there harder to nail than Darkstalkers IV it'd have to be Capcom vs SNK 3.
IPS is a pain in the ass. I played at locals a few months ago and was like "Oh, my bnb doesn't work anymore due to an IPS change".
Isn't this a normal occurence in most fighters?
Has MikeZ ever explained why he didn't go with simple hitstun deterioration?
He wanted a system easier to understand than hitstun decay. Well, it was that and building an infinite-proof combo system. For me it worked out on both ends. He seems pretty happy (for Mike, that is) about it too.
I know people who are really into Skullgirls that champion this as a reason the game is good. I haven't played much of the game but IPS sounds fucking boring
You should play it before you knock it.
IPS is a pain, especially with the addition of the undizzy system, but at least they accomplish what they were both designed to do; it's not just about preventing infinites, but making SkullGirls a never ending series of ridiculous resets at high levels. Mike Z opted for easy reset creativity rather than easy combo creativity, but a lot of the players never get there or don't really like it.
I prefer it to hit decay, but it certainly did accomplish what it set out to do. It's not a coincidence that Desk never did find an infinite in SG. I also prefer the reset creativity any day of the week. There is an actual chance I might be able to do those some day. Even SG's myriad of helping tools aren't going to make me obtain those Severin tier swag combos.
I actually think it's the opposite... I think the IPS was put in to promote creativity. Well the initial version of it anyway... the point of it was to make as long of a combo as you can and as intricate as you can without repeating moves.
Yeah, the IPS at that time treated crouching normals, air normals and standing normals differently (on top of a whole bunch of other things), so took forever to reach the burst levels with six buttons. The IPS should haved been tightened up, but Mike gave people leeway. Turns out that wasn't the best idea.
Issue was that the initial version of IPS still resulted in really long combos (or even pseudo infinites/loops) that killed a character anyway so the distinction between infinites and non infinites wasn't a relevant one. It's like saying MVC3 doesn't have non TAC infinites as if it matters because people die in a standard BnB anyway.
yep
Skullgirls reset game is great though. Mike Z definitely understand what it took to make a reset game legit in these games.
yep
That Cerebrawl game is gonna go through the same problems Skullgirls had. That is, if it gets released.
Only if they face a company wrecking lawsuit right at launch.
I love love love Skullgirls. I love how it plays and I LOVE how it looks, Peacock is easily one of my favorite video game characters ever, and I wish I could play it more, but...

The thing is, I don't care about team fighters, I love Skullgirls in a 1 vs 1 setting, as absurd as that sounds.
You sound like you'd be right at home in Japan.
"Whatever is drawn and programmed by Capcom" would be my old response, but Guilty Gear has taken off, so I guess a visual style that indicates you have a lot of moolah? Unfortunately not everyone can be Namco, Netherrealm, ASW or Capcom.

jerry1594

Holy shit
Did Kuroda drop 3s completely or is there an entrance fee?
He played a set against Yun player Ushi!? that was put on Youtube on Christmas. Doubt money is a factor. There is also a last chance qualifier which for a team I think. I think it's weirder Rikimaru didn't enter though I don't know the final list of entrants and he may be in.

My biggest regret with Skullgirls is the high jump that never made it to the final game. Mike made an experiment in the beta where you could jump like in marvel 2 and that was very fun. But players complained and it was removed. -_-

Card Boy

Banned
So i own BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger on PC
Got BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend from PSN+ for VITA awhile ago
and BlazBlue Chronophantasma Extend is on sale on PS4.

If i want to get into the story where do i go from here? From my understanding BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend includes a condensed version of Calamity Trigger's story called Calamity Trigger Reconstruction and the Continuum Shift story itself, but does Chronophantasma Extend include story from the previous games?

It's so confusing....

Zissou

# buttons is a function of both the IPS (more normals means more options) and because my understanding is that Capcom has a copyright on the button setup they have for Marvel.

I mean there's an argument of whether an idea worked or not but nothing about this comes down to "they don't know what they want to do". I already explained the number of buttons. Ratio system was to try to increase team possibilities and entry points based on a small roster. IPS has been locked down for a good while now so I don't think its hard to intuit but it is unlike most systems in other games so it is weird in how its "unique". With regards to cast size, I mean obviously a bigger cast for a team fighter is better and I think it matters more for that type of fighter than a 1v1 fighter but nothing is inherently incompatible about having a smaller roster with a team fighter. I'm not sure that's a deal breaker for casuals (no cries of "where's Mega Man") and at higher levels a many in the UMvC3 cast and the vast majority of the MvC2 cast are unusable anyway. I mean the final product won't please everybody (no final product can) but I don't think any questions weren't seriously considered and addressed in what the developers thought was the best way possible.

This is true. If you're going to go indie, its because you want as much control over what you get to do as possible. If you're just going to make a game that plays and looks exactly like the "big boys", why not save yourself the stress and work for them?

That's the first I've heard of a patent being in the way of using mvc2/3 style controls. Do you have a link or something? My google-fu is failing me. Even if there is a patent, there must be some way to functionally ape the mvc2/3 control scheme without infringing.

If IPS was a legit major reason for having 6 buttons, I'd say that's a terrible design decision. I mean, you come up with a wacky combo length limiter and then add entire extra buttons to your game just to accommodate it? That sounds crazy to me.

What irks me with ratio stuff when implemented in a tag fighter is either the game is actually built around using characters together synergistically and the ratio option isn't an actual option when playing the game properly, or the ratio system IS a real option because character synergy doesn't actually matter, in which case, I don't care because it's not really a tag fighter at that point.

Yeah, people do get spooked by the extra two buttons and unique launchers too easily. Those are literally the only major control differences between the two titles.

This is more important than you make it out to be, IMO. In marvel 3, I can think, "Hmm, I want to try out Hawkeye assist against dudes at my local tonight," go into training mode, and figure out a basic combo for Hawkeye with no need for external information and have something usable (enough) in literally 5 minutes, even if I've never played the character before. Of course, if I enjoyed using that team, I'd do my research and learn legit bnbs, but for experimenting, that kind of thing is fine. If I'm playing a game where team synergy stuff is one of the main draws, I can't imagine doing it without some kind of similar system in place. Team synergy stuff is fun because you can experiment and try out all kinds of different team configurations- minimizing the barrier to doing that is essential.

shaowebb

And this is why me and shao sit down and talk for 5 hours at a time about shit like this. Because you have to.
You really do. Our last talk was a biggie. Sometimes you got to consider everything as a whole at various intervals to make certain you are on the right path.
Can't show you shao's art :p

Hahaha you have no clue what he has drawn up :3 Actually it's painful not being able to share it. I should stop talking and cockteasing xD

Yeah it hurts, but all I need is to look at Potemkin stealing Panzerfaust's look so hard to remind myself why you dont put your designs up early.

zUGp5mV.jpg

I wont be ripped off like Skullgirls was here. I'll try to release stuff on stages though.

I do feel strongly on games. I play niche these days as share holders have chopped away core focused gameplay to emphasize broad spectrum player appeal. Now everything has to have vehicles for car enthusiasts, collectables and skill trees for the RPG enthusiasts, dress up for the cusomization fans, free roam for the folks who just like to fuck off and think that just doing bullshit is better than structured fucking gameplay because it makes the world seem bigger etc etc etc.

^Fuck all that. I'd rather build one thing that does what it does well. I like the kind of games I like. I'll make my own and I'm not gonna turn it into a dating sim, racer, free roam wank fest just because some share holder thinks it'd draw a broader audience. I'd rather my game be focused and not feel like the developer had ADD when doin up the design doc.

^Fuck all that. I'd rather build one thing that does what it does well. I like the kind of games I like. I'll make my own and I'm not gonna turn it into a dating sim, racer, free roam wank fest just because some share holder thinks it'd draw a broader audience. I'd rather my game be focused and not feel like the developer had ADD when doin up the design doc.

that's all fine and dandy but make sure your female characters are A-cup or less, otherwise you are just pandering!

Sayad

Yeah it hurts, but all I need is to look at Potemkin stealing Panzerfaust's look so hard to remind myself why you dont put your designs up early.

zUGp5mV.jpg

I wont be ripped off like Skullgirls was here. I'll try to release stuff on stages though.
lol, I wonder if they felt privy to Panz's design because he was inspired by Pot. The cycle of fighting games character designs:

SFAlpha Birdie
Dark skin, bigger upper body, huge hands, chain around hand.

GG Potemkin
A more exaggerated upper body size, dark skin, chains turned into some kind of metallic exploding device over his glove. Same stance posture.

Pot AC ending:
BB Tager:
The whole gloves are now metallic... Whole character is a cyborg, I think. Silly shoe.

SG Panzerfaust:
Pot's AC ending attire, Pot's exploding hand device is now a tank with Tagger's metal glove, more exaggerated upper body to lower body size ratio, dark skin is now completely black! Not sure if the same Birdie stance or not.

Xrd Pot:
Panz helmet + AC ending attire + Tager's silly shoe and metal hands

My dream fighting game would be a somewhat toned down (primarily things like not head sized WoW shoulders on armor style stuff, have it look at least somewhat believeable), SamSho aesthetics, implemented with Xrd tech, with KOF 2k2UM-esque neutral. It would be bliss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom