• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the stubby normal thing isn't a universal complaint. Like I think chuns, karins, giefs etc buttons are not very stubby at all. Ryu on the other hand... I think the complaint mainly has to do with him.

Agreed. Birdie has BIG FAT normals, and I never had a complaint regarding stubby normals in the time I had with the SFV beta.

The Ryu army on the other hand, their feathers were rustled. If Ryu has stubby normals, then surely everyone else must too? That's how I see the thought process.

English ragna best ragna

English Blazblue best Blazblue. Err...voice acting.

Thulius

I think the stubby normal thing isn't a universal complaint. Like I think chuns, karins, giefs etc buttons are not very stubby at all. Ryu on the other hand... I think the complaint mainly has to do with him. Shoto cr. mk is about as short as I remember it ever being.

Right, but none of those other chars have motion fireballs or meterless reversals. Ryu has a lot of options that are always available to him, which means characters without similar options need to beat him at something. In this case, they get better normals to threaten him at a range where throwing a fireball is risky for him.

It's mostly a matter of people comparing SFV Ryu to SF4 Ryu instead of comparing SFV Ryu to the rest of the SFV cast.

mbpm1

People don't consider that Ryu's walkspeed is better than in SFIV where he's walking in molasses. Better dashes too

petghost

Banned
In my dreams sf5 ryu winds up being a character about setting up guard break situations.

3s ryu (especially denjin) is so interesting compared to most all other incarnations

petran79

Banned
Oh.

I've been playing fighting games since 92 with SFII. I haven't started playing them competitively until recently though. Is that 15er status?

If you had played them with friends and relatives in order to win, it is regarded as competitive and no one can take you the joy or sadness away.

Even today I play some 90s arcade games on Dreamcast with my brother and they can get very intense. Without even looking for online info!

If you had played them with friends and relatives in order to win, it is regarded as competitive and no one can take you the joy or sadness away.

Even today I play some 90s arcade games on Dreamcast with my brother and they can get very intense. Without even looking for online info!

Okay, that was me then. I was I was competitive but didn't know what I was doing.

I feel like Ryu's buttons in SF2/ST were pretty short-ranged too, but I might be biased since I main Ryu. His buttons are relatively fast but don't stay out very far or for very long, or atleast the forward-facing ones don't except maybe sweep.

FACE

Banned
Stubby normals are good for promoting footsies because you have to position yourself well to use them. A lot of normals in SF4 are good enough to where you don't need perfect spacing to use them. This is part of why Nash and Vega seem so strong, they have good normals in the medium range. It's also worth noting that Vega and Nash have no reversal other than super.

Karin is all about that st. mk life.

Skilletor

Every sf gets blasted for not being like the last sf that people have been playing for years.

For me, this feels like it'll be one of my favorite fighters ever.

DRE Fei

If you're complaining about lack of combo variety in SFV, how the fuck do you even know all that's possible when the game isn't officially out yet?

You should be more concerned about getting bodied due to your lack of neutral game.

It's not gonna be setup fighter 4. You will actually have to react to what's going on in the moment instead of relying on a hard knockdown into a mathematical safe jump setup with and option select tacked on to the end of it. Fucking autopilot fighter 4 good riddance.

Crocodile

That's the first I've heard of a patent being in the way of using mvc2/3 style controls. Do you have a link or something? My google-fu is failing me. Even if there is a patent, there must be some way to functionally ape the mvc2/3 control scheme without infringing.

If IPS was a legit major reason for having 6 buttons, I'd say that's a terrible design decision. I mean, you come up with a wacky combo length limiter and then add entire extra buttons to your game just to accommodate it? That sounds crazy to me.

What irks me with ratio stuff when implemented in a tag fighter is either the game is actually built around using characters together synergistically and the ratio option isn't an actual option when playing the game properly, or the ratio system IS a real option because character synergy doesn't actually matter, in which case, I don't care because it's not really a tag fighter at that point.

I found the ratio system helpful because it lets you build up from one to two to three characters over time. While you can rock one and two character teams without embarrassing yourself, the meat of the game definitely is in 3v3. That the game works well in all those configurations I'd consider a boon and a testament to its balance (though it took a while) though it's not something that necessarily should be replicated elsewhere. As for the reason for a six button system, a lot of this is based on memory so it's possible I may have misremembered something. As I said before, you can ask Mike. I want to also say it makes the game better to play at smaller team numbers (2v2, 1v1, etc.) but again, you can just ask the developer yourself.

Marz

If you're complaining about lack of combo variety in SFV, how the fuck do you even know all that's possible when the game isn't officially out yet?

You should be more concerned about getting bodied due to your lack of neutral game.

It's not gonna be setup fighter 4. You will actually have to react to what's going on in the moment instead of relying on a hard knockdown into a mathematical safe jump setup with and option select tacked on to the end of it. Fucking autopilot fighter 4 good riddance.

Calm down bruh its just a game.

DRE Fei

Calm down bruh its just a game.

True bruh, I guess that's why you're posting on a fighting game thread, because it doesn't matter right?

I guess nobody's allowed to have an opinion or discuss actual gameplay here according to you. Welcome to the community graveyard.

This is true. I forgot nobody actually plays fighting games here except maybe juicebox.

Yes, none of us play fighting games. Please stop.

Someone bop Dre.

If Dre wins, we're all scrubs and we can't say shit.

If he gets bopped, he can't come to this thread with that shit again.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Way to throw a bunch of people under the bus there. Unfortunately for you Enzo was very dedicated to running those threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=854713

Enzo was, may Capcom bless his soul. I'm just saying what I recall from memory. If I remember correctly, they had a disagreement on something and both were pretty adamant on their stances. In the next thread, notworksafe said something, once the new weekly thread was made, among of the lines "im gonna pick my good friend (dryeyerelief)" and that was the jab since there was a little (A LITTLE) animosity between the two. That's all, this is the internet, no one is being thrown under a bus lol

I did? It's certainly possible but if I did I don't remember it.

Any jabs I make here are just friendly. If I actually don't like someone I put them on ignore lol

Exactly, it was just a small joke with a hint of sarcasm.

People don't consider that Ryu's walkspeed is better than in SFIV where he's walking in molasses. Better dashes too

Can't help you didn't understand Ryu dawg, you gotta go up to the level of being a Roo to be good with him.

Yooo DRE Fei with the blowups. BOOLIT BOOLIT AAAAAAAAH

s7mrP7O.png

Why is Nine getting ranked so low? :-(

The new Blazblue looks like a lot of fun. I hope it has good netcode so I can actually play it.

Top ranked Izayoi atm and N-O Hibiki/Rachel here btw. N-O gets destroyed as Hibiki but destroys when he goes Rachel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7URr75Su7X4

If I get the chance to play this game I'll probably switch to Rachel or Litchi. I do think Tao ended up around where I expected, but I was pretty skeptical. Still wanna play somebody else if I can though.
Damn, the fact that the best strategy with Izayoi is to pop the OD at the start isn't good. I've thought about playing her that way, but I figured they'd nerf it since it's so dumb and lets you bypass her weak phase.

Why are so many people willing to trash SFV before it even comes out?

I'm new to day one'ing fighters.
They nerfed Bison.

the points on normal and throw ranges are valid imo, but no point in getting too huffy before the final release.
I am cool with the normal ranges, but they should match the damn animation to some degree.

notworksafe

I am cool with the normal ranges, but they should match the damn animation to some degree.

That would be nice. I guess it's not so much just that normals are stubby but that they feel even more stubby cause they don't seem to have much correlation to their animations for some folks.

Nightii

Banned
How many fighters have hitboxes/hurtboxes/grabboxes match the models and animations perfectly? This is not a jab, I am genuinely curious about it.

I don't even mean it just for stubby buttons and moves, it also applies to air punches that connect and the likes of.

ShinMaruku

How many fighters have hitboxes/hurtboxes/grabboxes match the models and animations perfectly? This is not a jab, I am genuinely curious about it.

Probably more with 3d fighters due to the more space they have to work with. SF and Anime have some wierd ass bullshit engines.

Rhapsody

Banned
Why is Nine getting ranked so low? :-(

Damn, the fact that the best strategy with Izayoi is to pop the OD at the start isn't good. I've thought about playing her that way, but I figured they'd nerf it since it's so dumb and lets you bypass her weak phase.

Nine's just kind of ok right now. People still need to figure her out. As of right now, don't get hit by low/kunzite lol
There was a new video that showcased better stuff for her, but her neutral at the moment isn't spectacular. She needs to get something started or hope people get clipped.

Japan likes popping ODing with her at the start, always. I don't agree with it.

And after CPEX, I'd say that Normal mode is just a "weak" phase in quotes. It's no longer a liability, it's so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom