• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

Just using the training mode inputs since I'm not sure what's normal, but AB meaning A+B, her double fist overhead slam attack. 8AB is her little sidestep twirl, which looks slower than her normal sidestep and takes longer to recover. I watched SonixFox use her in DoA5U, and he never once used it.

Also, it seems like sidestepping in general isn't very good in DoA5, is that right? It looks like multi-hit moves beat sidesteps, so you only use it as a read vs. single hit pokes.

That's about right. Sidesteps are good on single moves or at certain points in strings, especially at the end. Game should have less tracking, imo. Makes sidestepping strings almost pointless.

That move isn't very good on its own, but you can use it from pp to bait counters, and when they're stunned she's got a low and mid punch from it for mixups. It's okay if used sparingly.

A+B woulb be PK. DoA notation would be Free(F)/Punch(P)/Kick(K)

ShinMaruku

Watching competitive DoA5, and it looks like getting hit by Rachel = losing half your life. :-O

What is the point of Rachel's 8AB?

I
She hits like a truck and you probably seen a high critical counter hit combo or throw with Rachel, some characters on high counter will take 35-45% damage. Characters I use do from 50 to 75% on high counter.
Alpha and Phase 4 baby, you land their hard shit your life is over.
Quite a few characters become utterly STUPID on high counter, Ayane,Momiji,Phase 4,,Misty,Hitomi,GenfoolRachel, Hitomi,Leon,Bass Bayman,Ein these are a few. Note that most of them are slower but that allows big damage, but some are very quick and if they land high counter with that speed they will destroy you. Rachels twirl kick is a low spacing tool to keep some people honest. It's more of a punish move.

Just using the training mode inputs since I'm not sure what's normal, but AB meaning A+B, her double fist overhead slam attack. 8AB is her little sidestep twirl, which looks slower than her normal sidestep and takes longer to recover. I watched SonixFox use her in DoA5U, and he never once used it.

Also, it seems like sidestepping in general isn't very good in DoA5, is that right? It looks like multi-hit moves beat sidesteps, so you only use it as a read vs. single hit pokes.

There are 2 kinds of sidesteps there is free step and there are special commands that also side step, Marie and Christie are two who have that, side steps avoid most moves except moves that have tracking, you side step those they smack you, side steps also avoid blockables as well allowing you to punish.

shaowebb

God DAMN Yuuki + Llenn assist is a combo machine in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition. You already have a version of Terry Bogard's Power Dive that causes a bounce that you can follow up for full combo cancelled into AB attack, canceled into trump card + Lllen assist (Think Chris Machinegun MVC3), into dealers choice since once you activate Trump Card you gain more links and cancels between moves/strings/supers.

Just so many combos and with how long Llenn holds them in place with that machine gun they never drop out after the air portion letting me go for a second loop. Without Super or knowing what I was doing I was able to pull near 40 hit combos off this in the corner and all her shit corner carries!

Just look at the day 1 shit people are coming up with

^ that guy went with super and no assist and no jump cancel into air special stuff too!
Character is a machine and she builds mad meter to spend in those combos too. Check out what Advanced Yuuki can do

It's hard to find high level DoA play. :-(

Oh yeah, and it seems everyone plays DoA on pad - no stick. Truth?

Lower execution barrier= less finger gymnastics fuss more mind games and whatnot
That doesn't apply to removing charge times from moves. :p

That's about right. Sidesteps are good on single moves or at certain points in strings, especially at the end. Game should have less tracking, imo. Makes sidestepping strings almost pointless.

That move isn't very good on its own, but you can use it from pp to bait counters, and when they're stunned she's got a low and mid punch from it for mixups. It's okay if used sparingly.

A+B woulb be PK. DoA notation would be Free(F)/Punch(P)/Kick(K)
Ah, so it's cancelable, which makes it potential for baiting where sidesteps aren't possible. That makes sense.

What is "Free"? Is it "Hold"?

I'll take Rachel off of my "prospective mains" list, then, since I hate mirrors. :p

Based on what you know about me, what characters do you think I should be looking at?

shaowebb

Dat strongest SAO character

No joke, all the Sword Art Online cast in this game are incredible.

I still think that Ro Kyu Bu's Tomoka is the most difficult fight in the game though. Her basketball catch state attacks are just insane wakeups that last forever and she beats out so much shit. Not sure if its all armor or what. Plus she is a powerful zoner and she has like half a dozen left right mixups as well as high low overhead mixups without assists all by herself! Seriously...if you get pushed to neutral or further its hell. She starts shooting passes and if you avoid the ball the rim falls on you. Its hard to read and if you do get her make it count because on wakeup she is a monster to try and hold down.

Tomoka is literally one of the best made character movesets I've seen in years.

edit:

Tomoka. Not Tomoko. Okay then. Sorry, but I don't know anything folks are from in Dengeki, Aquapazza or Nitroplus really aside from Dokuro Chan and Durara stuff. I haven't even seen SAO yet. I don't in fact anime much at all...I do play their fighters though. It'd help if the names were in english in Dengeki for more than one or two screens :(

ShinMaruku

I find high level DOA play all the time because I move in those circles so it's not hard for me to find them. :)

It's called free because it has modifiers, if you hold it while moving you can side step, you do it with punch it becomes a throw, you do it with kick it becomes a special kick.

Anne

Tomoka is meh though. Setplay tier but her buttons are kinda booty and the rest of her options are whatever outside of knockdown BS. Also wake up in DFC in general is poor unless you have an install loaded.

Her moveset is p cool though. I dig how she plays but it's DFC and she's on the weak end so n o p e.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Anne, play ass fighter 4 with me tonight.

ayy lmao real talk thats the only way i can land flash kick fadc ultra 2 tho

I guess you play the 3DS version then.

Lower execution barrier= less finger gymnastics fuss more mind games and whatnot

Well there is that new game Seth Killian is working on. I'd like to think that when execution comes into play, it becomes that more fulfilling and exciting to do it.

shaowebb

Tomoka is meh though. Setplay tier but her buttons are kinda booty and the rest of her options are whatever outside of knockdown BS. Also wake up in DFC in general is poor unless you have an install loaded.

Her moveset is p cool though. I dig how she plays but it's DFC and she's on the weak end so n o p e.

Any tips vs Tomoka? If you don't thread the needle you get slowly pushed to the corner pretty fast then its hell getting around her grabs. Plus, I have no idea how to beat her wakeup outside of equipping the cat assist all the time or Llenn.

Skilletor

It's hard to find high level DoA play. :-(

That doesn't apply to removing charge times from moves. :p

Ah, so it's cancelable, which makes it potential for baiting where sidesteps aren't possible. That makes sense.

What is "Free"? Is it "Hold"?

I'll take Rachel off of my "prospective mains" list, then, since I hate mirrors. :p

Based on what you know about me, what characters do you think I should be looking at?

I use tons of characters in DoA since I've been playing so long. Don't worry about mirrors. :p

Hold and Free are the same, kind of interchangeable.

I'm not sure as far as a 3D game. Solid normals? Good pressure? What are you looking for in a character? I'm on discord if you want to have a real-time chat.

Rajang

I would probably play SFV like that too if I had this HORI pad instead of a stick, lol

Hell, when I first started that is how I played Tekken in the weird piano style. I finally had to get stick just to not look silly though.

I'm a pad player and I use piano style with Tekken as well. But with SF I only use my thumb and use my index fingers for the shoulder buttons.

1 month to go, i wanna have 10k fights under my belt!

Only 436 fights to go!

34% win rate

Taking Ls 2 out of 3 matches?

scust.png

Anne

Any tips vs Tomoka? If you don't thread the needle you get slowly pushed to the corner pretty fast then its hell getting around her grabs. Plus, I have no idea how to beat her wakeup outside of equipping the cat assist all the time or Llenn.

Wake up in general in DFC is pretty easy to deal with because resource-less reversals are p bad. The universal DPs have armor instead of invuln so you can cancel on contact to beat them. Trump cards have strike invuln but you can grab them, and some of them have p bad hitboxes. Invuln supers exist but resources. When I say installs are good, I mean trump cards that install. They get everything but grab invuln and pause the screen, really super silly.

Like I said, Tomoka's normals are butt and once she throws something out she's not doing much if you just wait it out. Just space her out and use the high amount of start up and recovery on her stuff to bully her. Only thing she has going for her is some annoying projectiles and setplay, and the annoying projectiles are whatever if you wait it out.

Just kinda how DFC goes tbh. Characters without the normals or approaches the top tiers have can get waited out and shut down. Since the game is so simple it's not hard to just dominate with basic stuff like buttons/output being up there. Vs Tomoka, if shit isn't already on the screen just run at her. If it is, wait then run at her.

Anne, play ass fighter 4 with me tonight.

I'm p sure my friends wanna queue CS tonight orz

shaowebb

Wake up in general in DFC is pretty easy to deal with because resource-less reversals are p bad. The universal DPs have armor instead of invuln so you can cancel on contact to beat them. Trump cards have strike invuln but you can grab them, and some of them have p bad hitboxes. Invuln supers exist but resources. When I say installs are good, I mean trump cards that install. They get everything but grab invuln and pause the screen, really super silly.

Like I said, Tomoka's normals are butt and once she throws something out she's not doing much if you just wait it out. Just space her out and use the high amount of start up and recovery on her stuff to bully her. Only thing she has going for her is some annoying projectiles and setplay, and the annoying projectiles are whatever if you wait it out.

Just kinda how DFC goes tbh. Characters without the normals or approaches the top tiers have can get waited out and shut down. Since the game is so simple it's not hard to just dominate with basic stuff like buttons/output being up there. Vs Tomoka, if shit isn't already on the screen just run at her. If it is, wait then run at her.

So stop trying to get in that ass as Yuuki for a bit and wait till she opens herself up and cancel to avoid DP armor if I can read it in time? Sounds simple enough...I just gotta learn to read whether she is goin for the bounce pass left/right or the overhead and watchout if its either with an assist. I don't think she can chip me heavily or anything, but I'll need to be careful and practice how to block her. Definitely know that if she starts dribbling just let her go and air dash.

I really hope her bounce pass, and assisted basketball plays get copied somehow for someone in other fighters. The screen control they create is just great and that multihitting rim when it falls is pretty damned good at locking folks down.

Yuuki got any armored moves I should know about?

Anne

Idk anything about Yuuki tbh, haven't got DFCI I just know how DFC works and I know what changes happened. When trying to armor cancel, you can literally just buffer in something that will only come out on armor cancel but gets eaten by your normal gatling string. A basic OS really.

shaowebb

Idk anything about Yuuki tbh, haven't got DFCI I just know how DFC works and I know what changes happened. When trying to armor cancel, you can literally just buffer in something that will only come out on armor cancel but gets eaten by your normal gatling string. A basic OS really.

So in other words do a move you know has cancels if you suspect they are gonna go for an armored move and cancel it on principle. If it gets whiffed it wont cancel but on hit or block it will cancel and either eat their armor and go for the cancel into hits or it'll just turn into a solid block string.

Sound like AB moves would work since stuff goes into them pretty easily.

Anne

So in other words do a move you know has cancels if you suspect they are gonna go for an armored move and cancel it on principle. If it gets whiffed it wont cancel but on hit or block it will cancel and either eat their armor and go for the cancel into hits or it'll just turn into a solid block string.

Sound like AB moves would work since stuff goes into them pretty easily.

Ish. Do like 2A > 2A > (2A+B) > 2A > stuff. If you time it right, the gatling will come out on block cause of buffer and cancel windows, but if you hit armor and get that hitstop, the 2A+B registers and comes out and wins.

That's one way of doing it, you can do whiff OS stuff and other basic things. Making the universal DPs use armor makes them pretty shit because things like this easily work. Most players just understand the armored moves are pretty shit and avoid them.

Line_HTX

Can you break down the vocab here for me?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but before, when Rachel knocked you down she would do a stomp on you while you're lying there and the last hit forces you to stand up and she got massive advantage on that.

God damn at that Yuuki combo. 54 hits lol.

Guts ain't got nothing on my boy the real black swordsman

Yuuki can one touch death you too. Ask Rhapsody.

Nani? You wanna make data structures? What does orz mean?

Look at the letters and you will see a person down on his hands and knees with his head down. That's what orz means.

C'mon now, lol

You guys think the Hori Commander 4 is worth getting if I'm tired of using the DS4's pad? It's on sale but I'm not sure just how worth it such a controller may be.

Of course, it'll get put to good use on my PC as well =3

shaowebb

Ish. Do like 2A > 2A > (2A+B) > 2A > stuff. If you time it right, the gatling will come out on block cause of buffer and cancel windows, but if you hit armor and get that hitstop, the 2A+B registers and comes out and wins.

That's one way of doing it, you can do whiff OS stuff and other basic things. Making the universal DPs use armor makes them pretty shit because things like this easily work. Most players just understand the armored moves are pretty shit and avoid them.

So its sorta using armor to make it like those moves you can enter and then cancel out of before they ever animate. On block you can input 2A fast enough it'll cancel the 2AB. If they armored at the 2AB it'll continue to come out and not cancel into the crouching Light attack.Considering you can mash A for auto combos in this game like in UNIEL that crouching A can turn into stuff.

Just need to get good at reading Basketball chan so I can stop getting dunked on by her. Hard as shit for me to read her.

Can you push block Tomoka's basketball dribbling grab move? For that matter can you pushblock her if you are in block string from the basketball rim while she's attacking you simultaneously? If so I might spend half a bar for that to setup something.

CO_Andy

You guys think the Hori Commander 4 is worth getting if I'm tired of using the DS4's pad? It's on sale but I'm not sure just how worth it such a controller may be.

Of course, it'll get put to good use on my PC as well =3
Should wait for the upcoming MadCatz SFV pad if you're using it on PC. Having a touchpad makes it extremely convenient for PC gaming.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
CSGO, Counter-Strike, my bad.

I wanna learn Counter-Strike, just need a good mouse and setup.

I thought we already taught people what this means in this thread lol

You wanna fite m8?

How much time do you have left on your CS degree?

Well since its a master's and I plan to do research, got like 2 years left.

Look at the letters and you will see a person down on his hands and knees with his head down. That's what orz means.

C'mon now, lol

I'm not well versed with the interwebs, please spare me ;_;

Can you push block Tomoka's basketball dribbling grab move?

I'm not sure why you'd want to. The dribble is her 5A+B, and those can't be cancelled into anything except trump on block and are very punishable. I don't think Tomoka's is any different.. ? So if you block it, make her pay.

kirblar

Whenever i watch high level 3rd Strike it makes me a bit sad Cap never bothered to rebalance the game.

Not sure where their priorities are when they can fund two ports of 3rd Strike (3rd Strike Online and the Nesica edition) and a gazillion ports of SF4.
Once a game enters Legacy status and isn't an active game you're only hurting the playerbase since lapsed players can't jump in cold anymore.

This is why HD Remix's rebalance was such a bad idea - no matter how well it got balanced, it would still alienate all the people who liked Super Turbo.

I think I found the key to becoming better at pressuring the opponent.

I've started going into training and setting the cpu to block everything. Then I try to mix up a bunch of short strings while using microdashes to stay close to the opponent (since blocking pushes you away).

Another thing I noticed is that with certain characters people will tend to do things like end on something like Ragna's 2A, 2B, or 2C then immediately attack again when they recover.

I guess the recovery is so short that you can catch people who think its safe to let go of block or throw out an attack if you end your block string on specific moves.

I've started doing the same with Noel and I've found some normals that fulfill the same purpose with her, which lets me do things like sneak in throws/overheads where as before I would just autopilot to doing 5B > 5C> 2C > maybe safe special every time the opponent blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom