• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like pressing them buttons so that's a plus and no resistance on the stick? Hmmm don't know if that's a plus or negative for me. If madcatz don't stock up soon Ima just go with that then.
I'm not a fan of less resistance. I tend to TK my qcfs and such. It's personal preference, though.

Korigama

So, were people still playing Xrd tonight? Wasn't sure if I missed that or not, and figured I'd find out before deciding what to play (still haven't played anyone in either BBCPEX or UNIEL, but I see I already missed a room for the former earlier).

jerry1594

That's very thoughtful. When I look at genei jin the thing that bugs me most is when he activates he wins neutral because no one can out poke him etc. So if the priority could 've removed and he could get poked out normals or something maybe that would be cool.

Btw I just got blown up by stun gun headbutt like 20 times... I tried jumping out but I kept getting caught. How you avoid that?
With good spacing you can poke him or knock him down which though not the best answer can kill his momentum. The things that bugs me is that it's guaranteed damage if he traps you in the corner and 40-50% of the meter back. He has to be killed in the neutral before he can activate but it's kind of risky when he's running away and he's mashing cr.mp because he can poke you away and that's even faster meter building. He can die though if you play patiently and punish him hard. Mester said three geneijin is basically autowin, unless the Yun fucks up.
Stun gun is all gimmicks. Just look out for them and don't get hit by mp or hp flash chop because that combos. Don't try to dash away. Either mash jab to hit them out of it or jump back. If he cancels slash elbow or any blocked move into it just mash jab.

Skilletor

Skillz, why do you use a pad for DoA, but not for Tekken or SC?

Are throws generally faster or slower than jabs in DoA?

I don't. I use a stick. But DoA's button combos make it easier to play on a pad. I can't play Tekken or SC on a pad because I don't use shortcuts and hitting a+k or b+g or other button combos on a pad.

Certain things are easier for me on a pad, like wavedashing.

Normal throws are typically faster than jabs.

Check this out:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/frame-data-of-all-throws.5936/

Site also has frame data for all characters.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/special/pages

Sigmaah

Can get a 2lb spring for like 1 dollar for more resistance.

I'd have to open the stick and do that myself right?

I'm not a fan of less resistance. I tend to TK my qcfs and such. It's personal preference, though.

Same here, I don't want qcfs coming out instead of my dps and vice versa. I hope madcatz stocks up soon. Pls sf5 bouta come out in a lil over a month get them sticks back so I can buy!

I don't. I use a stick. But DoA's button combos make it easier to play on a pad. I can't play Tekken or SC on a pad because I don't use shortcuts and hitting a+k or b+g or other button combos on a pad.

Certain things are easier for me on a pad, like wavedashing.

Normal throws are typically faster than jabs.

Check this out:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/frame-data-of-all-throws.5936/

Site also has frame data for all characters.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/special/pages
I feel like DoA5 is unfairly picky about diagonals. Is that just me? It misses the input a lot, and I've been jumping diagonal forward for a long time in my life.

I'd have to open the stick and do that myself right?

Same here, I don't want qcfs coming out instead of my dps and vice versa. I hope madcatz stocks up soon. Pls sf5 bouta come out in a lil over a month get them sticks back so I can buy!
Modding sticks is easy. Go for it.

Swapping a spring is super easy. Probably as fast or faster than a button.

Speaking of which, I need to get one. The sanwa joystick needs to be a bit more stiff for me I think, but the one I got before makes it too stiff.

PureYeti

I feel like DoA5 is unfairly picky about diagonals. Is that just me? It misses the input a lot, and I've been jumping diagonal forward for a long time in my life.

Yea I feel like they hate diagonals or something. Doing Raidou qcf and hcf was a pain in command training

So, were people still playing Xrd tonight? Wasn't sure if I missed that or not, and figured I'd find out before deciding what to play (still haven't played anyone in either BBCPEX or UNIEL, but I see I already missed a room for the former earlier).

People were playing Xrd before, I don't know if there's a room going on right now though.

I did have a GAF room up in BBPEX for around 4 hours or so earlier today.

I'm probably going to do the same sometime tomorrow too.

jerry1594

Swapping a spring is super easy. Probably as fast or faster than a button.

Speaking of which, I need to get one. The sanwa joystick needs to be a bit more stiff for me I think, but the one I got before makes it too stiff.

Which one did you get and if you've played on a Seimitsu stick before how did it compare? lol

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Does anyone have experience with the hori fc4 fightpad?

Opinions? I bought it for $30 on clearance on a whim thinking it might tide me over until I get a ps4 stick.

I'm not super tied to a stick either, I don't mind using pad.

Just wondered what people think before I keep it or return it.

Takes a bit to get used too but it's awesome. Feels great in your hands and very easy to press buttons with just your thumbs for once.

THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS! WHY DO THEY TEASE US SO FUCKING OFTEN! WE NEED COMBOFIEND TO FUCKING ANSWER!
Just had a moment there, I'll walk myself out the door.

Which one did you get and if you've played on a Seimitsu stick before how did it compare? lol

Looking at my order, actually I did order a 2lb spring and that's what I tried. Honestly it's far too stiff. You can get used to it but the entire table would shake trying to move it. I got rid of it immediately after playing with it seriously for a few hours.

Not sure if I ever used a Seimitsu joystick.

Dahbomb

Man I have been playing DOA5 wrong this entire time.

Apparently I can escape some critical situations by hold down Guard and wiggling the stick. In these situations I thought I was forced to make a guess with the Holds.

In addition after playing around with training mode I have seen that holding back or down/back to block is a terrible idea because it makes it much harder to do Holds. It's much better to hold down the block button than doing the Tekken style of blocking.

Also down, down/back is apparently a decent fast back dash because man creating space in this game is so hard.

In other news Mila's tackle is pretty awful, pretty much everyone online managed to break out of the follow up "mix up". There has to be something I am doing wrong here. Also some guy was doing tackles while he was lying on the ground, I have no idea how she can do that.

K.Sabot

Apparently I can escape some critical situations by hold down Guard and wiggling the stick. In these situations I thought I was forced to make a guess with the Holds.

Aka the true definition of fuzzy guard, which was a VF thing originally, another reason why VF characters being in DoA feels so right.

Dahbomb

Aka the true definition of fuzzy guard, which was a VF thing originally, another reason why VF characters being in DoA feels so right.
I think DOA5's fuzzy guard is the 33H where allows you to do a crouch dash that option selects mid strikes and throws supposedly. I said supposedly because I read about it today and haven't actually tried it yet.

K.Sabot

I think DOA5's fuzzy guard is the 33H where allows you to do a crouch dash that option selects mid strikes and throws supposedly. I said supposedly because I read about it today and haven't actually tried it yet.

Yeah the fuzzy guard crouch dash OS, it works out like that in VF too but it feels like it's faster in DOA to me. It also seems to block mids better to me.

oh also throws are like 10 frames in vf and I think they're 5 in DOA, making it all the more important.

shaowebb

I been playing this game online (american vita version) for the past two months and am consistently shocked at how good it is.

Why is this game so good? It has no right being good.

Is ignition confirmed for western release?

Its by the UNIEL folks. It has EVERY right to be good lol. Plus no word yet on Ignition in english. Just buy it. Its great. Blasters and new cast really make it cool.

ShinMaruku

Modding sticks is easy. Go for it.
You must be precise in how you do them, do it in a smooth motion

In addition after playing around with training mode I have seen that holding back or down/back to block is a terrible idea because it makes it much harder to do Holds. It's much better to hold down the block button than doing the Tekken style of blocking.

Also down, down/back is apparently a decent fast back dash because man creating space in this game is so hard.

In other news Mila's tackle is pretty awful, pretty much everyone online managed to break out of the follow up "mix up". There has to be something I am doing wrong here. Also some guy was doing tackles while he was lying on the ground, I have no idea how she can do that.
Welcome to slow escaping. Using that tehcnique you can get out of some stuns rather than holding, however be mindful people have DEEP stuns where you either hold or you get hit by that shit, however I have a really dirty trick with Phase 4 and Alpha, you hold to escape, you eat a high counter throw and you lost 50-75% of your life, thankfully it's really hard to get into that deep stun.
Mila's tackle is fucking godlike, when you have a knock down you just frame it, it becomes guaranteed, if they don't get up it becomes 100% guaranteed

Some characters can do that, however if you do fuzzy and they know if they are on point low throw,most people can't do that

Yeah the fuzzy guard crouch dash OS, it works out like that in VF too but it feels like it's faster in DOA to me. It also seems to block mids better to me.

oh also throws are like 10 frames in vf and I think they're 5 in DOA, making it all the more important.
Throws are from 15-5 frames in DOA the base throws are 7

What tier is Ryu in DOA5?
He's smack dab in the middle, he has so much tricks and gimmicks and combos that become guaranteed on certain stages, why he is not A or S rank is because the other characters that can also do the stupid ass environmental combos, but he has a great game plan his throws are on point, you just need to be a great player to make him work.

Really though what made you niggas decide now to try doa? :p

Really though what made you niggas decide now to try doa? :p

It was on sale.

One day I'll work up the courage to scrub it out with gaf on DoA, but for now I need to figure out my movelist still and understand what are some good moves for neutral. I'm assuming that forum with all the frame data is where all the cool kids hang out and post guides and stuff?

ShinMaruku

It was on sale.

One day I'll work up the courage to scrub it out with gaf on DoA, but for now I need to figure out my movelist still and understand what are some good moves for neutral. I'm assuming that forum with all the frame data is where all the cool kids hang out and post guides and stuff?

You should try our OT for DOA we ALWAYS have people willing to play, hell I can get in solid players to help people too.

Dahbomb

Mila's tackle is fucking godlike, when you have a knock down you just frame it, it becomes guaranteed, if they don't get up it becomes 100% guaranteed
What do you mean by just frame it? What am I even timing it to? Is the tackle guaranteed or is the follow up guaranteed?

Also the counter burst whatever system is way more convoluted than anything in Tekken.

ShinMaruku

What do you mean by just frame it? What am I even timing it to?

The moment they hit the ground you have a window to continue the throw, she and Tina use this to great effect to guarantee their throws, let me see if I can get a Gillhustle vid on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hSpwEDGvA
He explains it kinda where as he hit him on the ground the throw is guaranteed but the other player was gonna tech up and got beaten by it.

www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku
Light systems overview.

Dahbomb

The moment they hit the ground you have a window to continue the throw, she and Tina use this to great effect to guarantee their throws, let me see if I can get a Gillhustle vid on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-hSpwEDGvA
He explains it kinda where as he hit him on the ground the throw is guaranteed but the other player was gonna tech up and got beaten by it.

www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku
Light systems overview.
I already know that its guaranteed after a knockdown (the tackle) but I am talking about the follow ups after you tackle.

Like you are supposed to have the mix up between strike or throw after the tackle. Thing is that for whatever reason the opponent always techs these options even complete noobs who are probably just mashing on their controllers. Are they guessing right every time or am I doing the follow ups incorrectly?

And as to why I am playing DOA5 now, I recently finished all the single player games on my collection that I cared to finish and now I am playing other games on the PS4. I have the F2P version of DOA5 (have had it for a while, finished the tutorial when I got it and never really played it again) and Mila was in the rotation of characters this week which was one of the few characters I liked in DOA5 in terms of design/theme. She also seemed pretty easy to get into as she had less moves than the average DOA character (or at least it seemed that way) while still having her own quirks. Also a few other GAF people were getting into DOA too so I thought I would butt heads with them while I learn.

ShinMaruku

I already know that its guaranteed after a knockdown (the tackle) but I am talking about the follow ups after you tackle.

Like you are supposed to have the mix up between strike or throw after the tackle. Thing is that for whatever reason the opponent always techs these options even complete noobs who are probably just mashing on their controllers. Are they guessing right every time or am I doing the follow ups incorrectly?

You see the throw indicator on when you do the first part of the throw chain, you input right before the colour changes where your timing is right where you can complete it after their recovery frames where you are advantage to quickly put in the second input, after that the throw becomes easier to be input. It's after a certain knock down at a specific time, it's harder to do online but with the right set up it's guaranteed. It's all timing specific no amount of mashing will get past that frame recovery window.

Dahbomb

You see the throw indicator on when you do the first part of the throw chain, you input right before the colour changes where your timing is right where you can complete it after their recovery frames where you are advantage to quickly put in the second input, after that the throw becomes easier to be input. It's after a certain knock down at a specific time, it's harder to do online but with the right set up it's guaranteed. It's all timing specific no amount of mashing will get past that frame recovery window.
These sentences made no sense in English but the idea of using the throw indicator might work for me in understanding what's going on with the tackle. I will set the CPU to try to tackle me and do certain follow ups and see how I can break them (mash, no mash, guess, time etc.).

ShinMaruku

These sentences made no sense in English but the idea of using the throw indicator might work for me in understanding what's going on with the tackle. I will set the CPU to try to tackle me and do certain follow ups and see how I can break them (mash, no mash, guess, time etc.).

It's the throw indicator and also be mindful of frame advantage. If they have an excess amount of frames to deal with your throw will be sucessful.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Man knowing where you are as a player is so nice. You can lose 10 games in a row and not be bothered by it.

Its okay to be lost and confused.
zmm8oXO.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom