• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here have experience with Bandicam and fightcade? I can record Skullgirls footage well enough, but fightcade footage shows the video offset to the left for some reason. Bandicam is pretty good at a glance. I hope I can make it work with fightcade for 3S and VSav footage.
Not really an answer to your question, but try Open Broadcast Software for local recording if you want more control over screen estate and all that jazz. Isn't too resource intensive with the Nvidia codec.

Reposting from the scrub thread:
I decided to just stick with Rachel to make it easy on myself. Cutting the number of strings I have to memorize in half from Helena and Lei Fang is going to help me adjust, I think.

After I decide on a character, I'm the kind of guy that goes right to the frame data. In looking at Rachel's frame data, I noticed that:
1) FreeStepDodge's Wiki is pretty inadequate. Lots of missing info.
2) There's a color-code system of green/orange/red for frame advantage on block. What does it mean?
3) There are terms I don't understand, like "Delay Frames", NH (Neutral Hit?), CH (Counterhit), HCH (???), and BH (back hit?).
4) Positive frame advantage on block is pretty much not a thing. I counted one non-charged PB attack that was positive, and it's a long-range poke with lots of startup. I usually go for lots of positive frame advantage pokes on block for frame traps in games, but after looking through a few characters, that seems to...not be a thing in DoA. Am I right? What's my thought process in strings if they're all negative on block, with some being really negative on block?
5) What does (GB) mean under "Guard"?
6) When I look at a string like PPP, the execution data says "20(2)30". Is that startup/active/recovery, in order? Is it only showing the data for the third P, since the second P was taken care of in another section of the data?
7) What is a "fast" jab in DoA? I notice Rachel's P is 11 startup (based on 6's assumptions), which would be ridiculously slow in most fighters.
8) A lot of moves are apparently negative on hit. PP, for example, is -3 even on counterhit, which seems insane to me. Am I reading that right? Then it seems like pre-emptively ending a combo for a grab is rarely advisable.
9) What are "Hotzone Vaulting Attacks"? I don't remember those in Command Training.
10) What's a Cliffhanger attack?
11) What's KNB?

Her data for ease of reference:
http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/rachel-frame-data-doa5u/

R
4) Positive frame advantage on block is pretty much not a thing. I counted one non-charged PB attack that was positive, and it's a long-range poke with lots of startup. I usually go for lots of positive frame advantage pokes on block for frame traps in games, but after looking through a few characters, that seems to...not be a thing in DoA. Am I right? What's my thought process in strings if they're all negative on block, with some being really negative on block?

This is pretty much a 3D fighting game kinda thing, most moves being negative on block. It definitely takes some adjusting, but basically you instead fool people by varying when you stop your strings, helped by how much you can delay each followup (especially in DoA the time you can delay stuff is huge. You can also clear the input buffer by pressing Free, if you weren't aware).

It does make for a more turn-based kind of feeling than 2D fighters have, as when something gets properly blocked the other guy usually gets to do stuff. With some strings having quite a few mid and low options out of them it can also be pretty hard to block them of course.

This is pretty much a 3D fighting game kinda thing, most moves being negative on block. It definitely takes some adjusting, but basically you instead fool people by varying when you stop your strings, helped by how much you can delay each followup (especially in DoA the time you can delay stuff is huge. You can also clear the input buffer by pressing Free, if you weren't aware).

It does make for a more turn-based kind of feeling than 2D fighters have, as when something gets properly blocked the other guy usually gets to do stuff. With some strings having quite a few mid and low options out of them it can also be pretty hard to block them of course.
What do you mean by clearing the input buffer? Could you give an example?

What do you mean by clearing the input buffer? Could you give an example?

P,P is the first two punches in a string (and you can delay the second one a lot). P, F, P is the first punch, then the first punch again. You could also just wait for longer than you're allowed to delay but that's often not so great or reliable.

Kumubou

I decided to just stick with Rachel to make it easy on myself. Cutting the number of strings I have to memorize in half from Helena and Lei Fang is going to help me adjust, I think.

After I decide on a character, I'm the kind of guy that goes right to the frame data. In looking at Rachel's frame data, I noticed that:
2) There's a color-code system of green/orange/red for frame advantage on block. What does it mean?
3) There are terms I don't understand, like "Delay Frames", NH (Neutral Hit?), CH (Counterhit), HCH (???), and BH (back hit?).
6) When I look at a string like PPP, the execution data says "20(2)30". Is that startup/active/recovery, in order? Is it only showing the data for the third P, since the second P was taken care of in another section of the data?
7) What is a "fast" jab in DoA? I notice Rachel's P is 11 startup (based on 6's assumptions), which would be ridiculously slow in most fighters.
8) A lot of moves are apparently negative on hit. PP, for example, is -3 even on counterhit, which seems insane to me. Am I reading that right? Then it seems like pre-emptively ending a combo for a grab is rarely advisable.
9) What are "Hotzone Vaulting Attacks"? I don't remember those in Command Training.
11) What's KNB?

HCH is high counter hit (when you attack someone out of the start-up of a throw, and a couple of other instances).

The frame data assumes that your opponent is not in critical stun -- some strings are really only intended to be used after an opponent is staggered.

For strings, the frame data is given as startup (active frames) startup of the second attack (active frames) and so on. The startup is from when you push the button (as almost all strings can be delayed).

Fastest jab IIRC is 9 frames, so 11 is relatively slow (but fitting for Rachel, given her weight and damage output).

GB should be guard break (but be careful -- not all moves that guard break are positive on block).

Hotzone vaults only apply on one stage -- Hotzone. They're the attacks you have access to when you knock someone over the sandbag barrier and vault over it to follow up.

Most attacks in 3D fighters don't give advantage on block. To continue pressure, that's where things like strings, sidesteps and high/low crushes come into play, among other things.

Preemptively ending a string works mainly because people are looking to block the next (or last) attack. Just be aware that the later in the string you are, the more likely such a pressure reset will be challenged, as most string enders are unsafe.

KNB stands for knock back -- moves that will send people flying backwards on hit (preferably into a wall). Each move that can hit people into walls has a set distance where that effect will be triggered (which is why you'll see people get magnitized into walls or roll along the ground without hitting the wall).

Cliffhanger attacks only happen in a couple of stages, and they happen when you knock someone over specific ledges. Functionally, they're all the same (but they do look different).

What exactly does a guard break do? Are they vulnerable for a full combo afterward?

P,P is the first two punches in a string (and you can delay the second one a lot). P, F, P is the first punch, then the first punch again. You could also just wait for longer than you're allowed to delay but that's often not so great or reliable.
So if I rapidly press PP, I will get the string.
If I rapidly press PFP, I will get the first jab, and then the first jab again?

Kumubou

So if I rapidly press PP, I will get the string.
If I rapidly press PFP, I will get the first jab, and then the first jab again?
Hitting F alone at any point will manually clear your input buffer. It's a mechanic from VF and it's really useful to help string attacks together so that they're all buffered without accidentally getting a follow-up.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
soul calibur 2 is so fucking cool

What exactly does a guard break do? Are they vulnerable for a full combo afterward?
assuming it's like VF, yes. if a GB puts you at +15, such as akira's 6P+K+G, a 15f combo starter like 46P (ok it's 14f but w/e) is guaranteed

ShinMaruku

Hitting F alone at any point will manually clear your input buffer. It's a mechanic from VF and it's really useful to help string attacks together so that they're all buffered without accidentally getting a follow-up.
That is free canceling. :) Becaureful though some strings are not free cancelable.

assuming it's like VF, yes. if a GB puts you at +15, such as akira's 6P+K+G, a 15f combo starter like 46P (ok it's 14f but w/e) is guaranteed
Exactly so.

DOA5LR:Lobby stream:
www.twitch.tv/shinmaruku

Rhapsody

Banned
Sometimes when I talk to people that have played BB for years, I'm a bit surprised that they're still unaware of what would be the basics of the game. I know the game's full of mechanics, but some people really neglect to learn a lot of the things that should be already learned on a competitive level. This includes some OSes (like pianoing a gatling), yes, but it's worrying that some people don't know what IB Barrier does or why purple throws exist.

I don't know how much of a problem it is for other fighters, but BB I just see it so much for people that have been playing it for over half a decade.

Does any other fighter have it this bad? It makes the player skill gap really huge in BB.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Which is the best version between PS2 360 and gamecube?

Wasn't there a sega console version of the game? Either that or the PS2 Version are arguably the best versions since they're stick compatible. I don't even want to imagine how they got a stick working on a gamecube just to play Link.

Dahbomb

11) What's KNB?

1) Ok.
2) Green means they are out of block stun/move animation and free to do an action. Red means still in a move or block stun so they can't do anything. Don't know what orange is maybe something to with critical stuns because the game revolves so much around it. The green/red thing was useful in Tekken to figure out frame data because Harada doesn't want frame data in the game. Whoever turns green first after an attack has + frames.
3) Neutral hit is just a regular hit. CH is critical hit meaning you hit them on their move start up like any other fighter. HCH is high counter hit that occurs when you counter hit someone's throw in DOA. Back hit is hitting someone's back I am assume (when they are back turned).
4) No such thing in 3D fighters generally. Assume every attack in these games is -ve on block. Few exceptions include moves that have a huge start up and are specifically designed for set ups. This is why blocking is good in these games once they are done attacking it's your turn to attack. That's why mix up strings are so important.
5) GB is guard break.
6) It's start up active recovery. It shows the last move used but it changes with each action so if you do PPP it will change for each P and the last one you see with be for the last P.
7) 9 or 10 frames. Note that even if something is 10 frames you can't really punish with a 9 frame move.
8) This is really a DOA thing with moves being negative on hit even. Although if you do PP on hit then grab that's fine because grab is like 7 frame and it will be faster than their attack anyway unless they also grab.
9) Gimmick stage based shit on DOA.
10) See #9.
11) Knock back

Tizoc

Wasn't there a sega console version of the game? Either that or the PS2 Version are arguably the best versions since they're stick compatible. I don't even want to imagine how they got a stick working on a gamecube just to play Link.

SC2 is on PS3 as well.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sometimes when I talk to people that have played BB for years, I'm a bit surprised that they're still unaware of what would be the basics of the game. I know the game's full of mechanics, but some people really neglect to learn a lot of the things that should be already learned on a competitive level. This includes some OSes (like pianoing a gatling), yes, but it's worrying that some people don't know what IB Barrier does or why purple throws exist.

I don't know how much of a problem it is for other fighters, but BB I just see it so much for people that have been playing it for over half a decade.

Does any other fighter have it this bad? It makes the player skill gap really huge in BB.

Nope not really lol

shaowebb

Might be because if you enter any random mode you have to sit through and hour of comedic storytelling. They're probably afraid of tutorial modes after Teach me Ms Litchi if they are the typical players in the west who don't want to mix longwinded visual novel fun with their Fighting game fun.

To be truthful I use BB as a novel most times while I eat dinner because I get a long enough break to finish a whole meal between the small spurts of matches. Its better than TV since it doesn't move on till I tap a button on my stick on the floor with my toe lol

Beckx

Dreamcast was dead at that point - I don't recall a DC version but it would be cool if there was. SC on DC was such a showcase game for what that console could do and the quest mode was pretty good (if not as good as Edge Master in Soul Blade).

jerry1594

There is no Sega version. Soulcalibur 1 was the only one on a Sega console. I have a gamecube stick. Anyway I don't care about any of the exclusive characters since I think they're all lame. I'm interested in the most faithful/technically best port (sans OG Xbox since I don't have one)

Tizoc

Posting awesome art in this bee-otch :V
tumblr_n58eshVBJy1r7sijxo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n58eshVBJy1r7sijxo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_n58eshVBJy1r7sijxo3_1280.jpg

It's the PAL version so there's some lame balance changes from the NA version

Wow really? Even the JP release?

what is throw?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's a bit saddening orz lol

I think the game's awesomely designed, but the average player doesn't get to the core of it. :(

It's funnier when GG diehards get defensive when you bring all the stuff up cause they cant accept that BB has gotten as complex as it has

That's right.

soul calibur 2 is so fucking cool

That is a badass idea.

I look forward to pages of crying when people find out SFV DPs are crush-counterable on release.

1) Ok.
2) Green means they are out of block stun/move animation and free to do an action. Red means still in a move or block stun so they can't do anything. Don't know what orange is maybe something to with critical stuns because the game revolves so much around it. The green/red thing was useful in Tekken to figure out frame data because Harada doesn't want frame data in the game. Whoever turns green first after an attack has + frames.
3) Neutral hit is just a regular hit. CH is critical hit meaning you hit them on their move start up like any other fighter. HCH is high counter hit that occurs when you counter hit someone's throw in DOA. Back hit is hitting someone's back I am assume (when they are back turned).
4) No such thing in 3D fighters generally. Assume every attack in these games is -ve on block. Few exceptions include moves that have a huge start up and are specifically designed for set ups. This is why blocking is good in these games once they are done attacking it's your turn to attack. That's why mix up strings are so important.
5) GB is guard break.
6) It's start up active recovery. It shows the last move used but it changes with each action so if you do PPP it will change for each P and the last one you see with be for the last P.
7) 9 or 10 frames. Note that even if something is 10 frames you can't really punish with a 9 frame move.
8) This is really a DOA thing with moves being negative on hit even. Although if you do PP on hit then grab that's fine because grab is like 7 frame and it will be faster than their attack anyway unless they also grab.
9) Gimmick stage based shit on DOA.
10) See #9.
11) Knock back
Thank you!

Blayblue is too hard. Picking up a character casually is so much work compared to any other fighter.
Hakumen is easy. Took me 3 days to get his basics down.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SCIIHDO has some changes from the PAL version too. it's its own beast, and there's nothing intrinsicly wrong with that.

Rhapsody

Banned
what is throw?
As in purple throw? A lot of it has to do with Throw Reject Miss. TRM state actually kicks in super early if you input a throw when a throw actually can't come out (like blockstun) compared to a whiffed throw. This also includes people that hide their throw tech during barrier. Which is why you'll see Ragna and Relius go for 5A whiff into throw. Purple throw, you'll see people get it off of things like Izayoi 2A or Jin 5B (5B > throw gatling was removed in CF however). When you see high level play and a TRM goes off, a lot of it is because they'll notice the barrier flash due to the barrier tech OS and pick up on player tendencies.
It's funnier when GG diehards get defensive when you bring all the stuff up cause they cant accept that BB has gotten as complex as it has
It's pretty cool how it all turned out. I also think this is one of the fighters where OSes actually didn't hurt the game yet didn't fix it either. I think it compliments because it keeps some of the things possible in mind.
A good chunk of the cast is learnable that fast if you do your homework
Pretty much. It shouldn't take too long to learn a character on a casual level. Which is why I always tell people it doesn't hurt to learn the game now instead of waiting for a new version. If people think that learning new combo routes equals entirely relearning the character, there are some priority concerns on how you learn a game or its characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom