• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

miku

Just finished watching ep1 of Blazblue

lLSBC06.gif

Catch this, nii-sannn

petghost

Banned
No offense but the FGC isn't interesting enough to do a documentary on. KoCT and I Got Next were both completely mundane. Bang the Machine only means something in the historical context of the scene itself. Focus is the best one but even that is not that great. From what I've seen from the released footage of RoT FGC it's just not compelling stuff.

I dno I didn't think competetive donkey Kong would be interesting but the king of Kong is a great documentary. Have no interest in larping but darkon was great. wouldnt think a film about a janitor outside artist would be fascinating but in the realms of the unreal was amazing.There are a ton of awesome documentaries about seemingly mundane subjects. It's up to the film maker to make them interesting.

I dno I didn't think competetive donkey Kong would be interesting but the king of Kong is a great documentary. Have no interest in larping but darkon was great. wouldnt think a film about a janitor outside artist would be fascinating but in the realms of the unreal was amazing.There are a ton of awesome documentaries about seemingly mundane subjects. It's up to the film maker to make them interesting.
King of Kong isn't about a community or a game it's about a relatable family man pursuing his dream. You're proving my point for me. Thanks.

ShinMaruku

As long as we can agree it's stupid. :p

On the other hand, Rachel's PPT string seems pretty amazing. Truth?

Alright. I tried sidestepping Marie Rose's flip grab, but it always tracked. Looks like I just need to jab it /
The twirl is a party so just free step. Also some moves if you see it coming just knocks him out of it. In the morn I will record how to step, or just stuff. Hell I can air throw him too.

Sayad

I'd rather see a documentary about tournaments results and hype matches from pre-SFIV era than something concentrating on the community, tbh.

jerry1594

I mean we're on the inside looking out or whatever. Maybe if a talented filmmaker framed it in a way similar to how ZTS says King of Kong was, then it could be interesting. But most stuff that happens in the fgc seems pretty mild, boring or stupid from the outside looking in. Stuff like Nuki Daigo arcade rivalry in the 90s may seem awesome to us but the average person let alone video game player who doesn't care about the fg scene will raise and eyebrow and go "wow who gives a fuck".

ZTS I don't see how he proved your point though. King of Kong may be about a family man following his dream but it's in the context of playing an old arcade game. If it's about the guys being obsessive about competition like I think I read it was then yes it's a character study but in that case it contextualizes competitive video games in a way that makes them fascinating. That's basically how every piece of media relating people to a pastime works, whether it's Tokyo Olympiad or a LARPing doc. I haven't seen any previews of this documentary but if it's like a recap of fgc history or whatever then yeah it will probably be boring.

Nuki and Daigo had a rivalry? Somebody bankroll this doc!

Tbh, it would be cool to have something about the arcade culture in japan in the 90s. There were probably so many little arcades. Most people would find it boring of course.

just noticed that chun'li's VA voice breaks when she does the standing leg kicks win pose.

mah tinitus...
Chun-Li's English voice actress always sounds like she's on the verge of crying.

Bengus > Shinkiro.
Shinkiro's cover actually has some work put into it, as opposed to Bengus' resembling a first draft doodle (with bizarre character framing) pushed out the door in an hour.

Bengus' artwork used to be a lot better though.

mbpm1

No offense but the FGC isn't interesting enough to do a documentary on. KoCT and I Got Next were both completely mundane. Bang the Machine only means something in the historical context of the scene itself. Focus is the best one but even that is not that great. From what I've seen from the released footage of RoT FGC it's just not compelling stuff.

but what about the snake eyez docu

You're probably right though

Neoxon

Akiman > both ;p

Would have liked that Shinkiro art more if it had a more cartoon-ish shading like his MvC3 stuff:
I think Akiman still does work for Capcom, seeing as he did the Ryu art for Smash 4.

Speaking of Street Fighter, apparently MAN WITH A MISSION is doing the main vocal theme for Street Fighter V, titled "Survivor".

street-fighter-v_1601rvsu3.jpg

notworksafe

ZTS is right. All of those FGC documentaries are boring as hell. The Smash Bros one was worse though...over four goddamn hours long. GTFO

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've watched a ton of FGC documentaries, and I'd have to agree. Most of them are boring as hell or hit the same notes for far too long. You feel like you're watching the same thing over and over.

The best documentary-esque things to come out of the FGC IMO is HBTB's short and short-lived Quarter on a Ledge Series.

hitsugi

I feel for SNK... they discuss future plans for one of their own IPs and in return they get "OMG CVS3 SO HYPE"

CVS2 was my favorite fighting game of all time, but come on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom