• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

Aside from the character model, I'm not a fan of his implementation so far. That tatsu and ex-tatsu animation just does not belong in a 3D game.

Would look fine in a 3D game that had other characters with similar moves. Definitely looks super stupid in Tekken.

Don't think it has anything to do with it being 3D, but a movelist from another game being shoehorned into Tekken.

The c.mk xx fireball combo looked lame, too.

Amedo310

So this is cool! Legendary SNK artist Shinkiro is still at Capcom, and he made the art for the Korean special edition!

CYgFQ3aUQAA6raG.png:large

Shinkiro needs to hang it up or do more with just a few characters. These group drawing are getting old.

I feel for SNK... they discuss future plans for one of their own IPs and in return they get "OMG CVS3 SO HYPE"

CVS2 was my favorite fighting game of all time, but come on..

I see CFJ as the failed successor of CVS2.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
king of kong: a fistful of quarters is a great doc with a kinda funny title

edgar wright's "fistful of fingers" is way funnier

the title i mean.

ZTS I don't see how he proved your point though. King of Kong may be about a family man following his dream but it's in the context of playing an old arcade game. If it's about the guys being obsessive about competition like I think I read it was then yes it's a character study but in that case it contextualizes competitive video games in a way that makes them fascinating. That's basically how every piece of media relating people to a pastime works, whether it's Tokyo Olympiad or a LARPing doc. I haven't seen any previews of this documentary but if it's like a recap of fgc history or whatever then yeah it will probably be boring.

It perfectly proves my point. Successful documentaries are about interesting relatable people in extraordinary situations. They also naturally fit into a 3 act structure. With out Billy Mitchell Steve Weibe isn't as relatable. The film works because it's so relatable on a none video game level. We see Weibe we like him we get invested in his dream. We see Mitchell, see he is a dick and want him to lose. If there is going to be a truely successful good documentary involving the FGC it needs to be about a person who you can get invested in and have a clear antagonist. Also it needs a talented director and editor that can take a step back from the scene and view it from the perspective of the everyman.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It perfectly proves my point. Successful documentaries are about interesting relatable people in extraordinary situations. They also naturally fit into a 3 act structure. With out Billy Mitchell Steve Weibe isn't as relatable. The film works because it's so relatable on a none video game level. We see Weibe we like him we get invested in his dream. We see Mitchell, see he is a dick and want him to lose. If there is going to be a truely successful good documentary involving the FGC it needs to be about a person who you can get invested in and have a clear antagonist. Also it needs a talented director and editor that can take a step back from the scene and view it from the perspective of the everyman.
my favorite thing about kokfoq it's able to simultaneously mock its cast of characters while still respecting them. there are some characters who are clearly being played up for their patheticness but still the film never seems mean spirited. i think a lot of gamers don't realize that kokfoq is hilarious

pixelish

you can simply make a good documentary if you present an interesting micro account on a subject matter which you want to talk about and this is what worries me with the fgc documentary if it's just gonna focus on the fgc in general

notworksafe

Make a documentary about how the US FGC Illuminati relentlessly mocked and shamed an EVO champion for not entering a tournament and then a couple weeks later complained about how taunting was unsportsmanlike and how we all need to come together and respect each other.

Yakuza 5 is making play as a Japanese Idol oneida. I came for the Yakuza melodrama, not dance sequences. Am I going to do all the jobs? Yes I will but I will not enjoy it that much.

The story on gamespot says that it's coming to all 3 platforms. Where did you see that it wasn't?

Some people are speculating that it might not come to PC due to there not being a Steam logo at the end of the trailer when its present on the other ones (including the KP1 trailer)
Nitro + Blasterz. Its an interesting one to be sure just never look up where the cast are from (good God Saya from Saya no Uta...)

Anyhow things to know:
  • has some traditional EXAMU stuff like universal attacks. Down E is sweep, Charged E is a guard crush, forward E is upper body invincible for Anti Air, normal E knocks folks away to the corner
  • evasive action button. D neutral is dodge roll (air ok), down D is a short hop giving you really neat over head options, forward D is a short hop and held its a run, and on hit or block you can use D as a cancel for normals.
  • Vanishing Gaurd. If you hit away and D you get a special block that is chip immune and has less recovery allowing more punishes, can't be guard crushed, and lets you block air unblockables. The risk is once you do it you cant high then low guard and your opponent also recovers only slightly negative to you so they can go low off a guard crush to drill you. Also you can't throw tech after one.
  • TWO BUTTON FUCKING THROWS
  • has a system similar to Dengeki's blast system. Hit it in neutral and get buffs blowback ,heal like xfactor. Use it in combos to get the same but less meter and less damage scaling, do it on hit or block for a breaker and shit meter
  • has 2 equippable assists and each assist's cooldown time is different to try and balance them
  • has some kind of install like system that gives your normal magic series a dash up, new properties and different enders like pretty attacks or something
  • EX moves, level 3's and only 3 bars of meter.
  • there are double jumps and I think some air dashes...may have seen folks doing air D though.

Its one I haven't figured out yet. It has a lot of similarity to basic stuff in Arcana Heart with the D and E button stuff, but it seems like it tries to be Dengeki at the same time (which Im still learning too). I'll need to see how the cancel combo stuff feels with the D button to know if its as good as Trump card combos and such in Dengeki. I'll find out in a few weeks when it hits PSN. So far though, that list is all I know and I'm trying to brainstorm how to abuse things like Infinite Blasts mid combo at the end of a long string, but I just wont know how much it impacts scaling till I try it.

If anyone here wants to weigh in on how the stuff I listed feels and flows it'd be great.
What's the button layout for this game? The universal and evasion stuff sounds really interesting.
With the assists, are there multiple ones per character like Marvel 3 or is it similar to Dengeki where one character only has one possible assist?
Overall, this game has my attention now. Was already a bit interested in it but after reading all of this (especially two button throws thank fucking god),
I looked up Saya no Uta why didn't i listen

shaowebb

Nitro + Blasterz. Its an interesting one to be sure just never look up where the cast are from (good God Saya from Saya no Uta...)

Anyhow things to know:
  • has some traditional EXAMU stuff like universal attacks. Down E is sweep, Charged E is a guard crush, forward E is upper body invincible for Anti Air, normal E knocks folks away to the corner
  • evasive action button. D neutral is dodge roll (air ok), down D is a short hop giving you really neat over head options, forward D is a short hop and held its a run, and on hit or block you can use D as a cancel for normals.
  • Vanishing Gaurd. If you hit away and D you get a special block that is chip immune and has less recovery allowing more punishes, can't be guard crushed, and lets you block air unblockables. The risk is once you do it you cant high then low guard and your opponent also recovers only slightly negative to you so they can go low off a guard crush to drill you. Also you can't throw tech after one.
  • TWO BUTTON FUCKING THROWS
  • has a system similar to Dengeki's blast system. Hit it in neutral and get buffs blowback ,heal like xfactor. Use it in combos to get the same but less meter and less damage scaling, do it on hit or block for a breaker and shit meter
  • has 2 equippable assists and each assist's cooldown time is different to try and balance them
  • has some kind of install like system that gives your normal magic series a dash up, new properties and different enders like pretty attacks or something
  • EX moves, level 3's and only 3 bars of meter.
  • there are double jumps and I think some air dashes...may have seen folks doing air D though.

Its one I haven't figured out yet. It has a lot of similarity to basic stuff in Arcana Heart with the D and E button stuff, but it seems like it tries to be Dengeki at the same time (which Im still learning too). I'll need to see how the cancel combo stuff feels with the D button to know if its as good as Trump card combos and such in Dengeki. I'll find out in a few weeks when it hits PSN. So far though, that list is all I know and I'm trying to brainstorm how to abuse things like Infinite Blasts mid combo at the end of a long string, but I just wont know how much it impacts scaling till I try it.

If anyone here wants to weigh in on how the stuff I listed feels and flows it'd be great.

shaowebb

Yes, it's best to experience these things first hand.

I never want that experience. ;_;
I'll gladly play the fighting game though. Not certain how I feel about Super Sonico in general though. She's got really bad animations IMO even for Examu. However, she is a summon style character which I find interesting since she fights with the cats attack you and her friends running out to take shots at you. Hoping for a Doronjo sorta thing.

Alright, here is my first DoA5LR set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjM8eXwrDbQ

Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The only thing I don't need to be told is that those Marie Rose high kicks should be countered with 6H. I figured that in training mode after, haha. I kept getting hit by it because my thoughts went:
1) Okay, so it's high, right?
2) Damn it, maybe it's mid?
3) Uh, is it a low?
4) Maybe my timing is off...back to 1).

Can every character only counter mid kicks with a 6H, or is that a unique Rachel shortcoming?

One request: if you give feedback about a particular moment (which I need a lot of), please include a timestamp so I can see what you're talking about. It's probably best to watch farther into the set than sooner, since I start figuring some things out after getting wrecked the first few matches.

Feedback is welcome and appreciated. The only thing I don't need to be told is that those Marie Rose high kicks should be countered with 6H. I figured that in training mode after, haha. I kept getting hit by it because my thoughts went:
3) Uh, is it a low?

Can every character only counter mid kicks with a 6H, or is that a unique Rachel shortcoming?

One request: if you give feedback about a particular moment (which I need a lot of), please include a timestamp so I can see what you're talking about. It's probably best to watch farther into the set than sooner, since I start figuring some things out after getting wrecked the first few matches.
I figure I would have to know rachel to help you at all...I played Kasumi a lot in DOA2/3/4/5 but havent played much last round. What I liked was that playing footies with kasumi was never a great plan, always was better off rushing in and forcing a reaction out of my opponent, a much more block string focused attack.

Id like to start playing last round, but im stretched so thin atm.

Village

A piece of shit that ignores his family needs over a childish obsession is relatable?

I don't remember that movie clearly I havent seen it in a while, I don't remember him ignoring his family, they seemed pretty supportive of him. Maybe again I'm remembering it wrong.

What i do remember is both of those folk's drive for being king soon after being whole sale irrelevant because a bunch of folks stomped their scores shit in

Dahbomb

3) Uh, is it a low?

Everyone counters mid kicks with forward hold. There are actually 4 basic holds in the game, 7H for all highs, 4H for Mid punches, 6H for Mid kicks and 1H for all lows.

Don't worry that got me at the start too.

Edit: Fuck double post, meant to put both posts in a single one.

vulva

I don't remember that movie clearly I havent seen it in a while, I don't remember him ignoring his family, they seemed pretty supportive of him. Maybe again I'm remembering it wrong.

What i do remember is both of those folk's drive for being king soon after being whole sale irrelevant because a bunch of folks stomped their scores shit in

You don't remember his video of him playing donkey kong while the kid is screaming that he wants his dad? " Stop playin’ Donkey Kongggggg! "

The look of frustration and annoyance from his wife over the long drive?

The daughter saying that some people even ruin their lives to get in to the guinness book of world records? "Some people sort of ruin their lives to be in there."

ShinMaruku

Maybe then we can get an insight on how he fucked up Ninja Gaiden so bad.

He explained that pretty well with how he wanted the game to be easy and in doing so messed with the flow of the game.It' why Razors edge fixed many of the issues but the base game needed a full overhaul.

Also Karst be mindful the Marie and Lei have more than just the 3 point hold they have around 6 to 8 based of tsubaki's and offensive holds. Kokoro has just straight parries you must be mindful of, Hitomi has punch parries so a good Hitomi will be looking to get counters off that and then send your ass right into the wall.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

The romcom japanese version of SFV is still the best.

6 bedroom house with four bathrooms and a garage. $350k and it's all yours.

Chill, I was talking about fight sticks, not about owning a family house. Granted, for $350K, its super cheap, just depends where the area is.

I GOT YOU YAMS

k7p75qq.png

Those are some big hands bruh... Bulking gone wrong?

This movie was really good, was hungry throughout the entire movie.

Village

You don't remember his video of him playing donkey kong while the kid is screaming that he wants his dad? " Stop playin’ Donkey Kongggggg! "

The look of frustration and annoyance from his wife over the long drive?

The daughter saying that some people even ruin their lives to get in to the guinness book of world records? "Some people sort of ruin their lives to be in there."

I don't, if that happened that's messed up.

This isn't like false denial, I actually do not remember. I was inquiring because I was genuinely curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom