• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astarte

actually I'm curious what fgcgaf's top 10 movies of the year would be. I was thinking about it right now and this is my tentative list but there's a good chance I'm forgetting things that came out this year.

1. the assassin
2. carol
3. green room
4. mountains may depart
5. the witch
6. right now, wrong then
7. cemetery of splendour
8. mistress america
9. room
10. tangerine

1. Creed (if I get to see Anomalisa then I know it's going to be #1. Friends that saw it basically rave about it...)
2. Mad Max
3. Kingsman

Shit taste runs in my genes

50. Inside Out
5000. The Good Dinosaur
Pixar I don't get you

vulva

is it better than the room?
A few years back I met Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero. They were buying hotdogs on Queen street in Toronto at like 2am. Greg was telling me he was going to write a book about the making of the room. I figured he was full of shit, but a few years later he released the disaster artist.

Tommy told me he wants to make a video game but when I gave his contact info to an interested studio apparently the project never took.

A few years back I met Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero. They were buying hotdogs on Queen street in Toronto at like 2am. Greg was telling me he was going to write a book about the making of the room. I figured he was full of shit, but a few years later he released the disaster artist.

Tommy told me he wants to make a video game but when I gave his contact info to an interested studio apparently the project never took.

lol. I still remember tommy's rando video game reviews

vulva

Vulva you have odd opinions on film. Aliens is often cited in film school for how great it is. It is one of the best ever.

Just spoke to my friend who was a PhD student at USC in their film dept. He said he never heard it brought up once. Which schools were you referring to?

He specifically said "it would be weird to bring up something so old, unless you were specifically teaching 80s cinema or something"

actually I'm curious what fgcgaf's top 10 movies of the year would be. I was thinking about it right now and this is my tentative list but there's a good chance I'm forgetting things that came out this year.

1. the assassin
2. carol
3. green room
4. mountains may depart
5. the witch
6. right now, wrong then
7. cemetery of splendour
8. mistress america
9. room
10. tangerine

I see why you ranted before about how all video game stories are shit

petghost

Banned
my main game is vsav but i honestly haven't played it in so long cause rotanibor doesn't run tournaments anymore and ive just been busy.

also i spend all my spare time playing dota

I'm trying to learn vsav atm but it's quite a vicious game. Like when someone is way better than you it's no joke. played snuggleguns earlier and got btfo.

I gotta learn how to tech hit I got no idea how y'all do that off like 1 hit.

Dahbomb

I see why you ranted before about how all video game stories are shit
99% are shit though but it's tough to portray story (in the traditional sense) in a game without sacrificing game play. Games should be focusing on exploiting the medium and be telling stories through mechanics. Of course those won't win any GOTY awards because journalists still see games through the Hollywood lense.

vulva

99% are shit though but it's tough to portray story (in the traditional sense) in a game without sacrificing game play. Games should be focusing on exploiting the medium and be telling stories through mechanics. Of course those won't win any GOTY awards because journalists still see games through the Hollywood lense.

Yeah, I'm very much of the belief that video game stories are awful, but they exist to drive the key point of the medium (playability). An effective video game story is one that allows for the driving mechanics of the title to function well and provide some context to care about why you're performing those actions.

The stories as stories are awful but they serve their purpose for the medium.

jerry1594

I'm trying to learn vsav atm but it's quite a vicious game. Like when someone is way better than you it's no joke. played snuggleguns earlier and got btfo.

You can ask people to walk you through stuff in the fightcade room, they seem pretty willing to help people out since there's like 10 people at peak hours.
Or in the irc channel. The info is in the mizuumi wiki I think.

There are alot of tutorials on techniques for tech hitting but it really is only a skill that you need for vsav so it takes a while to learn. I would suggest to just start off by understanding how the game works first especially getting your meaty timings down to force people to respect you and not just upback on wakeup.

also snuggleguns doesn't really go easy on new players so don't take it too personally

Games might have a shitty narrative structure but they've always experimented with various components of stories. Namely stuff like characters, dialog, setting.

Hey man, Blazblue is the pinnacle of story telling.
kappa

I like how in I think all of the BlazBlue games, there's a "library" mode where you can read up on all the lore, characters, terminology and that kind of stuff.

In the story, whenever Ragna does his big power up, he'll say a lot of gobbeldygook like "restriction 666 released", which is an actual term you can look up in that library mode. When looking up the phrase "restriction 666 released", the game says that it has no explanation for why Ragna says it.

I still like Blazblue's story mode, even if it's terrible. It has a shitload of voice acting.

I like how in I think all of the BlazBlue games, there's a "library" mode where you can read up on all the lore, characters, terminology and that kind of stuff.

In the story, whenever Ragna does his big power up, he'll say a lot of gobbeldygook like "restriction 666 released", which is an actual term you can look up in that library mode. When looking up the phrase "restriction 666 released", the game says that it has no explanation for why Ragna says it.

I still like Blazblue's story mode, even if it's terrible. It has a shitload of voice acting.

For a series like Blazblue it's pretty much necessary so it's good that they have it. Also, yeah, I do enjoy Blazblue's story despite how bad it is. It's very entertaining.

Dahbomb

Games might have a shitty narrative structure but they've always experimented with various components of stories. Namely stuff like characters, dialog, setting.
It's getting better over time. Stuff like Witcher 3 is pretty damn good and really extensive. Even though it's pretty standard fantasy, the fact that game stories are at least touching Blockbuster Hollywood story quality is decent progress.

And then you have stuff like Undertale which even though has a pretty straightforward story it's presented in such a way that it makes you more engrossed in it.

The only storylines that matter in fighting games are the ones you make yourself. Every fighting game is essentially an underdog story for many people.

Well from what I've heard Undertale's 4th wall breaking narrative structure is what makes it stand out to some people.

Witcher 3 manages to execute the Bioware style complete 3 hubs to progress the main story really well. On top of that it is also has a ton of side quests of various size would with at least some depth. By the time I made it back to Kaer Morhen I already constructed my own narrative plot that seemed like it could span a novel.

pixelish

i'm sorry vulva but i do not get the assassin at all even though i enjoyed hhh's other works like city of sadness and millenium mambo. i do not think his directing/editing style was suitable for the screenplay or the story that he adapted.

anyway, i know i'm a bit late but here's my arbitrary top 9 films of 2015 (can't think of another one that can be considered as a top film from last year)

mad max
inside out
timbuktu
look of silence
what we do in the shadows
sicario
jauja
steve jobs
slow west

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom