• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actual hitbox user goes to a stripclub, brings hitbox(NSFW)

SFV Beta 1.08 Patch Notes:
Overall renewal for next Beta Test.

Itshappening.gif

fH6Qo7i.png

That moment when you go through the combo challenges in DoA and discover they are all inferior to the bnb you worked out last night during matches. -_-

shaowebb

hitbox? disgusting!

I first started playing KOF on an emulator back in 2000. I only had a keyboard so I learned to play it "lefty" with the arrow keys and wasd. Because of that I still feel more comfortable with DP and HC motions on keyboard and often keyboard fighters when I can. Just feels faster for me.

Hit box gives me the warm feelings inside. I wants one.

Astarte

Listen to what you just fucking said dude.

Who the fuck has time to invest that much into a game?
We're talking about at least 500 minutes to learn the basics.
That's almost 10 fucking hours to learn the basics of a single character.
Do you not see a problem with this?

Even with DMC4 Dante you could grasp his basic mechanics within a few hours and start pulling off decent combos.

By 10 hours of practice I knew exactly when to change into what stance and at what exact frame to royal block and start attacking.

10 hours to learn the simple mechanics of a single character in a game with 10+ is fucking atrocious. The game expects me to dedicate 100+ hours of game time just learning all the characters. How the fuck can you say that's good game design?

I have a life outside of vidya ya know?
And I'm hoping you guys do too but from the sounds of it and how you guys have no problem sinking in countless hours just to learn basic game mechanics it seems otherwise.

Fighting games are ruff
/v/ is the gift that keeps on giving

Only 100 hours? Shit I'm behind on the great scale
Well, we might differ on what "advanced" play means.

I'd probably create a spread like this:
Beginner: you know what some buttons do, but you don't use a notable portion of your toolset. You have a fixed gameplan, and when it is foiled, you are doomed.

Novice: you know what most of your buttons do, but there are still a few tools not being used properly or at all. You have a somewhat flexible gameplan, but it is pretty basic and not very reactive to your opponent. Between sets, you might adjust.

Intermediate: you know what all of your buttons do, and when to use them. Your gameplan is something you can reflect on and change between matches.

Advanced: Like intermediate, but you can reflect on and change between breaks during rounds (knockdowns, breaks in pressure, etc.).

Expert: You can reflect on and change on a moment-to-moment basis based on your opponent's habits.

I would say that that when I have 100 hours with a character and I have a lot of mental energy, I reach advanced play. When I get tired, I usually slide into intermediate play. I have brief moments of brilliance where I play like an expert, but I need not only hundreds of hours with my character, but hundreds of matches against the appropriate opposing character as well.

Dahbomb

Fighting games are ruff
/v/ is the gift that keeps on giving
That really depends on what he means by decent combos with Dante. Because what most community considers "decent" with Dante will take you months to be at that level.

People spend years playing DMC4 Dante to not be ass with him.

Honestly the guy should've picked a better example to make his point.

Astarte

Beginner: you know what some buttons do, but you don't use a notable portion of your toolset. You have a fixed gameplan, and when it is foiled, you are doomed.

Novice: you know what most of your buttons do, but there are still a few tools not being used properly or at all. You have a somewhat flexible gameplan, but it is pretty basic and not very reactive to your opponent. Between sets, you might adjust.

Intermediate: you know what all of your buttons do, and when to use them. Your gameplan is something you can reflect on and change between matches.

Advanced: Like intermediate, but you can reflect on and change between breaks during rounds (knockdowns, breaks in pressure, etc.).

Expert: You can reflect on and change on a moment-to-moment basis based on your opponent's habits.

I would say that that when I have 100 hours with a character and I have a lot of mental energy, I reach advanced play. When I get tired, I usually slide into intermediate play. I have brief moments of brilliance where I play like an expert, but I need not only hundreds of hours with my character, but hundreds of matches against the appropriate opposing character as well.

Going by that spread I'd say I'm intermediate but I easily slip into something below beginner when I forget what game I'm playing

mbpm1

I like this chart

I'm probably a low intermediate to novice still

Just spent the last few hours losing to basically everything on USF4

Line_HTX

Hitbox is BAD, m'KAY?

It looks like a lot of people loved the FGCFilm. I hope this is worthwhile like that one Smash documentary.

Advanced is the worst if you can't climb those last few feet. You know very well where your weakness lies, but something just doesn't let you reach that summit. Stupid Guard Cancels and Pushblock Guard Cancels. I'd list my 3S deficiencies, but I'm barely intermediate at that.
I thought it was a sleep aide
We have SFxT pre-patch footage for that.

Marz

Grapplers require so much patience and ability to read your opponent. Ive always wanted to learn how to play a grappler but i just cant get in the right mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom