• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thulius

I'm no game developer but is it even feasible to "throw" rollback netcode at a game that's already developed?

I've read multiple times that, typically you need to design the game with the netcode in mind.

It's certainly no small task but outside of financial/time constraints there's no reason you can't change things like that post-launch. The way a game handles latency/dropped packets doesn't really have much to do with the game's design on a mechanical level.

When people talk about designing games with netcode in mind it's more about implementing systems that minimize the effects of latency. Things like the button hold buffer in BB, easy IAD in Skullgirls, the 2f buffer in SFV, etc.

ShinMaruku

who's MK adding?
selphie_taking_a_selfie__by_sorayomi-d7lq779.png

As a child, my father was extremely opposed to me getting Mortal Kombat, but my Mom convinced him (as she always did) that it was okay because I get good grades (wut). It only became problematic when I started drawing people hanging from trees and being gutted in second grade. Then the teacher called home. :-(
Lucky you

I didn't get to play my own video games until middle school.
Eh. There are much worse ways to go.
Yeah, BB Hood could be after a bounty on your head. That is probably the worst way to go.
i love Darkstalkers' art but i've always seen them as generally goofy takes on classic monster designs

it also answers the "why does she have breasts?" question in a very 'Species' way
Good catch

Also, I'm going to go ahead and declare with absolute certainty that they're full of honey. I assume we are in agreement?
If you think that's creepy, check out Jedah's fighting style. Or even his stage.
If you think that's creepy, ask yourself what exactly is going on with peacock's completely black 1930s cartoon "eyes".

Skullgirls-General56.png

They're just empty eye sockets.
I'm no game developer but is it even feasible to "throw" rollback netcode at a game that's already developed?

I've read multiple times that, typically you need to design the game with the netcode in mind.

I just think that this will end up like how they implemented the Skullgirls driver for ps3 sticks.
Mike has stated that he wanted ASW to just call him in for a +R port. It's not even a question as far as 2D sprite or hand drawn fighters go.

vulva

What's the name of that type of photo, that's her name :p Selphie takes a Selfie could also be the Malboro in there too. I'd kill for that fucker to be in MK

I can't tell if that's another dumb nickname you're making up that I don't understand but can you at least tell me why?

notworksafe

I can't tell if that's another dumb nickname you're making up that I don't understand but can you at least tell me why?
more final fantasy garbage

i'll repeat what i said yesterday, once final fantasy or other non-capcom characters make it into an SF game my time with capcom is over.

vulva

Her name is actually Selphie, I did not make up that nick name. And Misty is really Kasumi in English. :p

yet I still don't know why she belongs in MK after like 4 exchanges. This can't be that hard for you.

edit: and why is she the goddess of light? I know nothing about FF

Marz

I feel like Shin is on some next level shit, completely over my head i can never understand what the fuck hes saying or trying to get at.

It's certainly no small task but outside of financial/time constraints there's no reason you can't change things like that post-launch. The way a game handles latency/dropped packets doesn't really have much to do with the game's design on a mechanical level.

When people talk about designing games with netcode in mind it's more about implementing systems that minimize the effects of latency. Things like the button hold buffer in BB, easy IAD in Skullgirls, the 2f buffer in SFV, etc.
Even simplifying inputs does the trick. Mike's 4th strike changes includes changing DP moves to quarter circles wherever possible so long as no overlap occurs.

I'll take quarter circle EX knee smashes pls and thanks
yeugh

/pusha t
Still sounds more palatable than regular honey lol.

I get the appeal of guest characters, but it feels like you're telling us that the game can't stand on its own merits without an obvious cash in. I think Akuma in Tekken is so far the only exception I can think of because at least he's still a fighting game character so it's interesting to see how he works - as an fb character - in a 3d game.

I don't respect guest characters unless they're tied to a specific series, like Rolento, Cody, Poison, Hugo being in SF.

If any Final Fantasy characters join SF ugh.

ShinMaruku

yet I still don't know why she belongs in MK after like 4 exchanges. This can't be that hard for you.

I'm just trolling about her being in MK even though she has a spell called the end thatt fucking wrecks everything and she can be quite blood thristy.

Eclair however, she's coming. People pray I'm joking but Capcom and Square WOULD do it. Do not doubt the goddess. :E
She is the goddess of light because in Lightning returns she is actually teh goddess of light since she replaces her creators and take their place.

lightning-returns-final-568bee28d6f6d.jpg

vulva

I'm just trolling about her being in MK even though she has a spell called the end thatt fucking wrecks everything and she can be quite blood thristy.

Eclair however, she's coming. People pray I'm joking but Capcom and Square WOULD do it. Do not doubt the goddess. :E
lightning-returns-final-568bee28d6f6d.jpg

I continue to have no idea what you're talking about. I'm really trying here man but it seems like you're just looking up words and putting them together without knowing what they mean. These are barely sentences and then you just throw a bunch of nouns in between.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i'd like to see guest characters in VF, it'd be cool and no one really gives a shit about the canon. i know people are itching for Kiryu in VF but i'd prefer Majima personally. Majima/Ryo!

ShinMaruku

Too much assumptions. Lightning or Eclair is the goddess of light in FF13-3 she replaces her creators as the goddess of their world and in the end of the game she ends up in France because she's French.

i'd like to see guest characters in VF, it'd be cool and no one really gives a shit about the canon. i know people are itching for Kiryu in VF but i'd prefer Majima personally. Majima/Ryo!

Those are other guest characters I approve of. If the characters match the game and they're by the same company? By all means.

By the way, Ryo wouldn't work because his fighting style is Bajiquan, aka Akira. Akira IS Ryo.

Dahbomb

Lightning Returns..

Ayy Lmao!

I don't think NRS wants anything to do with FF characters. And I don't think SE wants anything to do with MK either. Very polar art styles and universes.

Too much assumptions. Lightning or Eclair is the goddess of light in FF13-3 she replaces her creators as the goddess of their world and in the end of the game she ends up in France because she's French.

Thank you for reminding me why I have not bought a Final Fantasy since FF13 in 2010.

jerry1594

Skullgirls kind of fails to be creepy to me. Too much non creepy stuff happening and even the stuff that can be considered creepy just isn't. Eliza jumping out of her skin is weird but not creepy. Double and Painwheel are kind of gross but not creepy. Everything else is cutesy or cheesecake-y or cool or all three.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Hey about Square and Street Fighter 5. When the rumor started I asked someone from Capcom about this and he said he had no idea what was going on. So it wouldn't be a surprise if a designer just ripped some Square images and used it without removing the copyright.

And yes I'm telling you this because I'm bored of seeing Shin posting Lightning and I want him to stop.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

tumblr_m5bq951KXW1qb251s.jpg

I checked URL and did a reverse image search. Still no idea who this is.

key-peele.jpg

ShinMaruku

13 is probably the worst thing to come out the past gen.
Man it's the best thing to come out of last gen. The salt is generates is fucking gold. I don'r even have the games and I love it because of the salt. :p

Lightning Returns..

Ayy Lmao!

I don't think NRS wants anything to do with FF characters. And I don't think SE wants anything to do with MK either. Very polar art styles and universes.
It's not NRS you gonna see something from , it's Capcom. Also I don't think Time Warner wants their stuff with FF either.

Man it's the best thing to come out of last gen. The salt is generates is fucking gold. I don'r even have the games and I love it because of the salt. :p

FF13 generates is so much gold that SE has had to create a new FF panel to save the series after 13 and 14 almost killed it.

Sure sounds like gold!

vulva

so wait, france doesn't exist in the world of FF but the ending of the last of the 13 series is just modeled after it?

This is so incomprehensible to me

Today I learned that lower sales and fan grievance doesn't mean BAD GAMES anymore.

So does this any time you cry about why DOA doesn't get FGC respect we can just simply deduce you as being salty and butthurt?

ShinMaruku

I wish they put the FF13 dog in SF5 just to make Shin salty.

uCTfew2.gif
I'd still be fucking hype. This whole thing is win win, if no ff13 I get Cammy Juri and Ibuki and Karin, if ff I get Eclair,Salt payment and what I had before, if I had that dog I'd get

so wait, france doesn't exist in the world of FF but the ending of the last of the 13 series is just modeled after it?

FF is many different universes. 13 just happens to be the only one in ours. It was always hinted because the name Eclair Farron (Lightning's name) is a mix of French and Gallic. But yes, the story makes no sense.

It's a basic rule of JRPGs that if shit looks cool it's going to be thrown in without regard for anything else because fuck it, and that's the way it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom