• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tidus in SF5.

Since Arc developed their own netcode and sell it to others, not gonna happen.
Yeah, I was just answering DryEyeRelief's question in regards to whether or not rollback netcode can be "thrown" onto an already developed fighter. A ton of people here have the misconception that some fighters are too old, too technical or too strict/precise for GGPO. Dispelling that notion is a good thing... not that it would ever help us get +R with GGPO.
Skullgirls kind of fails to be creepy to me. Too much non creepy stuff happening and even the stuff that can be considered creepy just isn't. Eliza jumping out of her skin is weird but not creepy. Double and Painwheel are kind of gross but not creepy. Everything else is cutesy or cheesecake-y or cool or all three.
If Darkstalkers is even split between creepy and goofy SG probably favors the latter by a bit more. I personally like both. Some characters are decidedly creepy (man, you've got balls of steel if Eliza and Double don't freak you out), but others wouldn't phase me if they appeared in American cartoons (Peacock and Parasoul) or Anime (Annie and D.Violet in particular).

vulva

FF is many different universes. 13 just happens to be the only one in ours. It was always hinted because the name Eclair Farron (Lightning's name) is a mix of French and Gallic. But yes, the story makes no sense.

holy shit, I actually got you to make a comprehensible sentence. I'm gonna hold this W for months

Kumubou

I'm no game developer but is it even feasible to "throw" rollback netcode at a game that's already developed?

I've read multiple times that, typically you need to design the game with the netcode in mind.

I just think that this will end up like how they implemented the Skullgirls driver for ps3 sticks.
It really depends on the engine -- and in general, it is much more difficult with 3D games. It definitely can be done (stuff like Fightcade or the netplay hacks for various doujin fighters wouldn't exist otherwise), but it can just be brutally awful to do in some instances as it may require some severe refactoring.

GGPO3's showcase game is a UE4 title, so I wonder if it'll see wider adoption this generation if it's designed to work with the most commonly used engine from the start instead of having to be completely up to the developer to engineer their game engine in such a way that it'll work with the library.

If NRS really took the L they got for MKX's online play to their hearts and completely replaced it with a much better solution (and I'm going to guess that was not a cheap engineering task), that actually deserves a lot of credit.

ShinMaruku

Today I learned that lower sales and fan grievance doesn't mean BAD GAMES anymore.

So does this any time you cry about why DOA doesn't get FGC respect we can just simply deduce you as being salty and butthurt?
1. I never made a not on if ff13 and it's sequels are bad games, I did not even not if their sales mean anything. The Lightning overreaction is funny.

2. I never advocated anything about fgc acceptance about DOA or any other game, I say every game build a strong scene to where they would get in by default like Smash did and like CSGO did.

Nowhere do I ever imply FGC acceptance is of any relivance because it is not a community. It's the Street Fighter Club with a separate Smash Club then smaller places coming in. It would be folly to imply what there is a community. On Gaf there is a community yes, you guys do play other games and promote them, but you are just s sub segment, most fg players only play 1 game.

It's a basic rule of JRPGs that if shit looks cool it's going to be thrown in without regard for anything else because fuck it, and that's the way it should be.
Correct. After evangelion I found anything influenced by them works on the rule of cool.

ShinMaruku

I would mark the death of the midcore market as something worse than FF13, but hey people want something easy to blame. I can't blame something that makes so much salt an irrational overreactions as something bad, I find that funny as all hell.
DmC is worse than ff13

Dahbomb

season passes and other forms of preselling DLC

also fake betas
Damn straight.

Shady kickstarters and nefarious DRMs as well.

No Guest characters in mah fighting games

only guest members from GAF
RIP in pepperonis Retro.

I would mark the death of the midcore market as something worse than FF13, but hey people want something easy to blame. I can't blame something that makes so much salt an irrational overreactions as something bad, I find that funny as all hell.
DmC is worse than ff13
DmC is a very good action game standalone, FF13 is not a good standalone JRPG.

Midcore market seems to be making a return in 2016 especially from the Japanese side.

I'd still be fucking hype. This whole thing is win win, if no ff13 I get Cammy Juri and Ibuki and Karin, if ff I get Eclair,Salt payment and what I had before, if I had that dog I'd get

FF is many different universes. 13 just happens to be the only one in ours. It was always hinted because the name Eclair Farron (Lightning's name) is a mix of French and Gallic. But yes, the story makes no sense.

You really don't know when to stop don't you?...

Tik-Tok

The fatalities used to just be "cool", but my wife was flat-out upset by some of the ones in MKX. Also, I can't help but laugh at the X-rays, because they're all things like "Hey, I just shot your eyes out and broke your neck...and you still have HP left and are walking around".

Doubtful. Evo is already set for the systems to be donated.

You ate your child/wifes placenta. That's way more upsetting than some virtual gore.

notworksafe

DmC is worse than ff13

this is also a good point. a game now is either indie or AAA. there's very little room for anything else because of the high cost of making games now. i miss quirky midtier titles and imports.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
No Guest characters in mah fighting games

only guest members from GAF

My critical art will be me going super saiyan (dont even know how to spell it lol) and making a projection of an L from my right hand which crushes you into the end of the stage 3 times, with each push making the L bigger.

You ate your child/wifes placenta. That's way more upsetting than some virtual gore.

Its all relative tok, while one was consensual, the other was straight up mutilation. I mean, wouldn't you wanna explore your boundaries a little more?

When skullgirls first got announced it thought it was a Hat/Hair weeaboo fighting game cause all i saw was filia and cerebela at first.

it actually put me off the game for quite a while.

cerebela's character design still irks me to this day.

ShinMaruku

Xenogears is real Evangelioney
Funny you say that because FF7 also has some references to where both those games pull from. The 7 paths of the Sefirot.

Xenogears had lots of shit that makes no sense outside of the game's own logic.

Damn straight.

RIP in pepperonis Retro.

DmC is a very good action game standalone, FF13 is not a good standalone JRPG.

Midcore market seems to be making a return in 2016 especially from the Japanese side.
Is DmC the base on or the rerelease you are talking about? It'd qualify it's good for something made by a region that is not every good at making character action games.

Midcore was always in Japan but most in the west hate handhelds therefore they missed Japan's midcore, thankfully Sony has derisked something and make them put games both on handheld and consoles and Square is trying PC so it's slightly coming back.

DmC is worse than ff13

i'm not salty at 13 b/c thankfully I stopped midway through 13 and realized it was bad. But you can't deny that ff13,13-2,13-3 is just straight garbage.

Shouldve clarified and just said 13 is a terrible series and I have no idea how ppl think it's good

ShinMaruku

You really don't know when to stop don't you?...
You thought the dog would kill my hype. Why should I stop when you used da dawg? :E

i'm not salty at 13 b/c thankfully I stopped midway through 13 and realized it was bad. But you can't deny that ff13,13-2,13-3 is just straight garbage.

Shouldve clarified and just said 13 is a terrible series and I have no idea how ppl think it's good

The clarification is fine. No doubt many think 13 is terrible. I never got into it because of the dumb ass combat system in 13 and 13 2. Lightning returns never bought. As to never understanding how some like it, that's many things in life people will never understand about others and that is fine.

My whole thing is you don't like the game fine, but to act like it's some satanic thing that keeps popping up and overreacting when you see Lightning in some place is comical. Does Lightning being in Disiddea make it ass? Hell I want to see how some might react to her in this rendition. Although since it's 3d I'm sure it will have a somewhat muted appreciation here, but I'd like to see some reactions to Team Ninja's effort on it.

You thought the dog would kill my hype. Why should I stop when you used da dawg? :E

The clarification is fine. No doubt many think 13 is terrible. I never got into it because of the dumb ass combat system in 13 and 13 2. Lightning returns never bought. As to never understanding how some like it, that's many things in life people will never understand about others and that is fine.

My whole thing is you don't like the game fine, but to act like it's some satanic thing that keeps popping up and overreacting when you see Lightning in some place is comical. Does Lightning being in Disiddea make it ass? Hell I want to see how some might react to her in this rendition. Although since it's 3d I'm sure it will have a somewhat muted appreciation here, but I'd like to see some reactions to Team Ninja's effort on it.

I said lightning in sf specifically since I have no issues if lightning pops up in other ff games. If she somehow is integral to the storyline in ff15 that's different but games like 14, theatrhythm, dissidia, kh, since it's a mash up of different games.

ShinMaruku

I said lightning in sf specifically since I have no issues if lightning pops up in other ff games. If she somehow is integral to the storyline in ff15 that's different but games like 14, theatrhythm, dissidia, kh, since it's a mash up of different games.

But would you really quit over something that small or are you just being hyperbolic for effect?

LegatoB

GGXrd on PC, what's the fastest and easiest way to get enough points for Leo?
The biggest point gains are for watching Story Mode (one time only) and then completing Missions and Challenges. Doing the first 20 or so challenges for every character (i.e. the easy ones) gets you a pretty big chunk from what I recall.

But would you really quit over something that small or are you just being hyperbolic for effect?

Partly hyperbolic, but yes a random guest character that I do not like in their original series would make me think twice about the game. Guest characters just end up being banned in tourney play or are just terrible tier. Like was anybody happy about megaman or the cats in sfxt. And weren't all sc guest characters banned from tournament play anyways

Kumubou

The A-AA space taking a giant L last generation was definitely awful, but I think it's starting to come back a bit between some successful indie developers getting bigger and some smaller commercial Japanese developers getting caught up tech wise. The digital storefronts allowing for greater margins, more flexible pricing and lower risk has been huge in that regard.

Nah, I think the DRM was worse in the past -- StarForce was far nastier than anything we have to deal with now. Steamworks replacing that as the defacto DRM standard on PC is a huge win (relatively, anyway -- DRM is still ass, but we are also seeing the growth of games being released with no DRM whatsoever).

And honestly, good Kickstarters are probably one of the better things to happen with videogames over the last few years. The list of games that were funded (in part or in full) that way is staggering.

RIP in pepperonis Retro.
Who???

Dahbomb

Lightning being in Dissidia is not only perfectly acceptable but expected as well. That's a completely different thing altogether because it's a FF ensemble fighter and Lightning fits in.

Issue is SE shoehorning the character in other games as the main representative of the entire franchise. If the character made it into Smash instead of Cloud then people would've cried foul.

Her time is over now, an entire generation has passed. Let her rest in pepperonis now.

Partly hyperbolic, but yes a random guest character that I do not like in their original series would make me think twice about the game. Guest characters just end up being banned in tourney play or are just terrible tier. Like was anybody happy about megaman or the cats in sfxt. And weren't all sc guest characters banned from tournament play anyways

Eh. That just makes them easy to ignore then.
SCIV guest characters were banned in my region, people just didn't care and that was that.

CO_Andy

Listened to Aris reminiscenced about SC on youtube. Man, how did that series fell so hard?

I would go as far as to call it the most popular fighter of the PS2 era.

Thulius

SFxT and SCIV guests were banned because they were console exclusive garbage. I think SC had them available as DLC eventually but who cares, SCIV sucks.

Aside from those two and like... Gon in Tekken 3, I can't think of many instances of bad guest characters. The MK ones are bizarre but they seem like they fit in well enough. Final Fight chars in SF, VF chars in DOA and all the guest chars in Smash are pretty great.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
BakedYams
"Wouldn't you like to explore your boundaries?"
(Today, 04:34 PM)

Its how I became the cultured person that I am today. Are you tempted on going to any tournaments? I'm going to Final Round in March. Flight tickets ain't too bad, around 200 bucks and the room is around 500 bucks and we can fit around 8-9 people to split the cost.

vulva

Its how I became the cultured person that I am today. Are you tempted on going to any tournaments? I'm going to Final Round in March. Flight tickets ain't too bad, around 200 bucks and the room is around 500 bucks and we can fit around 8-9 people to split the cost.

:|

FACE

Banned

Goodness gracious how can you even think that's acceptable?

Eh. That just makes them easy to ignore then.
SCIV guest characters were banned in my region, people just didn't care and that was that.

SFxT and SCIV guests were banned because they were console exclusive garbage. I think SC had them available as DLC eventually but who cares, SCIV sucks.

Aside from those two and like... Gon in Tekken 3, I can't think of many instances of bad guest characters. The MK ones are bizarre but they seem like they fit in well enough. Final Fight chars in SF, VF chars in DOA and all the guest chars in Smash are pretty great.

I guess it's just lightning getting to me at this point since I've seen her in sooo many things that at this point it's just to put her to rest

notworksafe

Most I ever had staying in a room was 5 back in my poor college student days, but that was for a suite at the Rio which wasn't too expensive.

Kumubou

8 or 9 people in a room. good christ, i don't miss those days in the slightest.
The struggle rooms are very real.

I still remember having 8 people staying in my room and then about 40 in the room for casuals during Evo 2010. It was a hell of a time... but there's no way I would do that again. At the very least, I probably would have upgraded to a suite of some kind. I still don't know how the hell we fit that many people (and five setups!) in a single hotel room.

notworksafe

I don't mind having hella folks in for casuals/MMs, even these days. But hella people for the whole trip is a no-no. One or two max, no matter the room size.

yea it was like 5-6 max for us at evo, can't think of how 8-9 ppl sleep in one room. Probably why it's super funky at times. 9 ppl to one bathroom

GGXrd on PC, what's the fastest and easiest way to get enough points for Leo?

He should already be unlocked. I'm pretty sure he was when I bought the game but then again it was when the day it came out sooooo if he isn't challenge mode and story mode would probably be pretty quick.

Also 8-9 people per room hell to the naw. My rule is only as many people as there are beds any thing more than that it ain't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom