• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinMaruku

I doubt they'll turn off the gore because they want people to see their handiwork and really it's a mark of the series, for good or ill.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Huh? I'm not sure why you'd take that as a bad day. It was a good day, because it showed how much I've progressed. I used to not be able to win a single fight against him. Now our fights are magic pixel close.

Well Cindi, since you so kindly asked for it, I'll be glad to play with you some more.

I just got a deal of the century.

One large pizza with as much toppings as I want.
16 wings.
2 2 liter anything.

All for $21.

God damn fat ass, I need some of that too.

jerry1594

Why you so salty about SF getting shine Shin? Lol. People like it and play it, there's a community around it. And it's a fighting game.

yeah but (posts for the 1886767th time) you see, there is no "FGC", its just street fighter. people who say they are in the "FGC" just play street fighter. I just think it's funny. :E

almost forgot

Tripon

They should not, but to try to lump them all in one group is misleading and can lead to drama.
Asking a huge org like ESPN to instantly understand the small differences on the community of Street Fighter, DOA or other fighting community is a losing battle. I'm not even sure that they should do it.

Dahbomb

Love or hate SF4 you can't deny that it enabled the creation of more FGs and for developers to take more risks in FGS especially in the 2D space. Just because SF4 exists doesn't mean that less people are potentially playing your game of choice... in fact probably the opposite is true.

Love or hate SF4 you can't deny that it enabled the creation of more FGs and for developers to take more risks in FGS especially in the 2D space. Just because SF4 exists doesn't mean that less people are potentially playing your game of choice... in fact probably the opposite is true.

Indie games maybe. Blazblue came out at the same time, gundam vs series existed as well. This is a very speculative statement either way.

i never said anything, i've kept my mouth shut the whole time

drinking-tea-keeps-you-young.jpg

You can directly link Mortal Kombat going back to 2d fighting and the resurrection of KI and a larger stage for majors like EVO SFIV but somehow SF just strangles other fighting games from getting larger! Never mind that Smash did its own thing and built up its own community for YEARS to get where it is today. But somehow it's all SF's fault.

What about Skullgirls? Rising Thunder? Somehow 2d fighting games becoming less of a niche genre and SFIV didn't contribute to it?

notworksafe

Build up your non-SF games then rather than complaining. Sheesh.

Ding ding!

DOA isn't featured as a main game at major because guess what? HISTORICALLY NO ONE ENTERED IN THE POST-SF4 ERA!

Before you start, Shin, I don't give a fuck how many enter it now at whatever side tournaments or events where they have a zillion games. It's not enough to be worth mentioning compared to other, more popular titles at majors. No cares about G4 tournaments from the start of the 360 era. No one cares about MLG from almost a decade ago. No one cares about World Cyber Games tournaments from almost a decade ago. DOA's major accomplishments are all relics of an era no one cares about anymore.

This is remarkably similar to how Smash was regarded. It was seen as a joke by the greater FGC and wasn't featured as a main game at big events. So what did fans and players do? They banded together, made a big scene over time, and grew to a point where the greater FGC had to recognize them and put them in events.

If you want to continue down the path of moaning and whining, no one is going to care and nothing is going to change. If you say you don't want recognition from the FGC, then shut up cause no one gives a shit. If you want your game respected, make people respect the numbers and the money involved.

The greater FGC and majors respect one phrase: "What have you done for me lately?"

That's how it's going to be, end of story.

Sheroking

Indie games maybe. Blazblue came out at the same time, gundam vs series existed as well.

How could we all forget the highly relevant existence of Gundam Vs.

SF4 hit at a time where 2D fighting games were an extreme niche being serviced mostly in Japan. You're not going to try to tell me that SF4's success hasn't strongly influenced the boom in 2D fighting games that followed in it's wake.

Dahbomb

Indie games maybe. Blazblue came out at the same time, gundam vs series existed as well. This is a very speculative statement either way.
SF4 was definitely influential in making NRS take MK more seriously (and making it go back to being full 2D), the creation of KI, creation of MVC3 and SFxT. None of these games I would consider as indie.

Blazblue came a bit after SF4 and it was obviously not made because of SF4's success but I would argue that SF4's existence resulted in more eye balls on Blazblue.

Gundam VS series is not that relevant because it's like saying Tekken existed while SF4 was made. Different sub genre there.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Well one thing Shin has for him is that he isn't a quitter. His love for the game is real. Too bad nobody else shares the same view.

Shin: I ask this, do you play DOA at locals? Are you building up your local DOA scene? I am building up my local fgc scene. Or are you just playing it onlline? You build your local scene JUST BY SHOWING UP. Do you plan on going to EVO or any majors? I am. What major is DOA going to be at? What are the rules for DOA at tournaments? Do you guys limit the cheesecake at tourneys? Because you know you're going to have to do that in order to build an audience, right? What are YOU doing to build your game rather than complaining about how your game isn't respected? This is the part where you're supposed to look in the mirror.

Shin: I ask this, do you play DOA at locals? Are you building up your local DOA scene? I am building up my local fgc scene. Or are you just playing it onlline? You build your local scene JUST BY SHOWING UP. Do you plan on going to EVO or any majors? I am. What major is DOA going to be at? What are the rules for DOA at tournaments? Do you guys limit the cheesecake at tourneys? Because you know you're going to have to do that in order to build an audience, right? What are YOU doing to build your game rather than complaining about how your game isn't respected? This is the part where you're supposed to look in the mirror.

i disagree

cheesecake is love
cheesecake is life

notworksafe

cheesecake is irrelevant to doa making moves in 2016. as i said, the biggest issue is that there's no scene in any real, organized sense when it comes to tournaments. plenty of dumb looking, ugly games get a scene. doa can look however and still get big.

Blazblue came a bit after SF4 and it was obviously not made because of SF4's success but I would argue that SF4's existence resulted in more eye balls on Blazblue.
I just don't think the established developers and series would disappear in a puff of smoke if SF4 wasn't the success that it is.

How could we all forget the highly relevant existence of Gundam Vs.
Might as well ask why ASW forgets you exist.

Dahbomb

Only scene for DOA is in the East coast. Where I am at people only play Smash with the occasional SF and Marvel. More people play 3rd Strike and Marvel 2 than DOA.

Game still has the tits and ass reputation. I legit tried to ask people past weekend "guys anyone here play DOA5?" and I got the looks like I was some weeaboo (even though most people there were bigger weebs than me).

notworksafe

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.

What are Bunko Fighting Climax and Arcana Heart players doing that DOA players aren't doing to build their scenes?

Shin should legit study this rather than put a scapegoat on Street Fighter.

putting in a minimum of effort. that's all it takes to get barely recognized. to become a main game takes a lot more work, but it can be done.

but it's easier to blame street fighter. not the first time i've seen this exact shit from a doa-head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom