• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why people aren't worried about SFV. Game seems extremely dumbed down. Lab time will not be a thing there. Limited and easy combos prevail.
There are a lot more options today for people who don't like where SF is going and most fighters would have looked plenty figured out before release if they had Betas.

shaowebb

Shoutouts to Faded Revolution for giving me some more great sets with TVC on dolphin. Made me full on toss out my Casshan for Blade so I can at least super confirm and open him up easier till I tighten up on play. Polimar/Blade is fun. Also we both started goin for air grab super with polimars and it got kinda wild with how many ways you could go into it. Neither of us did to well comboing into the ground grab super though. Range feels way worse on it and it cant AA grab folks sadly.

You guys should see his Ryu. Its fucking sick. If he touches you once you're boned. God damn that 80%-ish baroque combo packed it in on me but good.
GG!

Maybe I am just talking to myself here, but one thing that has surprised me about Nine is how her spells have all turned put to be extremely reasonable. None of them seem too good or too weak. ASW did an impressive job on that score.

The only aspect of Nine that might need to be toned down is her teleport dash. It seems to have an incredible number of invincibility frames, to the point where people score hits off of random teleport punishes off of whiff attacks all the time. Azrael has something similar, but it is kind of his defining feature. This is just one of Nine's tools, among many. I don't think she is too good in general, but I could see the teleport getting a nerf in a later version.

WarRock

Lab time will not be a thing until people actually put time in the lab, discover tech that makes all the difference, promoting even more people to go to the lab.

It's always like this.

Sigmaah

I'ma be vile in sf5. Just need to find out who I wanna play still. Leaning towards vega cause I've always fucked with vega but never played him cause of charge. That ain't the case now thoooooo ayeeeee.

MrKai

Neo Member
so you're saying we should be worried that people without fundamentals won't have a wall to hide behind and might be exposed

I'm saying the game lacks depth. They have stripped down the depth in order to get new players yet they haven't asked themselves how they will make the new/players players stay.

New and old players will realize the lack of depth after the first few months and vanish.

I'm saying the game lacks depth. They have stripped down the depth in order to get new players yet they haven't asked themselves how they will make the new/players players stay.

New and old players will realize the lack of depth after the first few months and vanish.
Combos aren't depth.

Mizerman

Yeah...

I don't subscribe to the whole "combos = depth" thing. Not to mention, your assumption is terrible.

Dahbomb

Vortexes, jab combos and FADC are depth?
There was definitely some depth to the Focus attack system. Not just DP FA stuff but all the other stuff you could do with FA. Granted the system led to other problems but it definitely had nuances to it.

Marz

FADC adds a ton of depth to the combo system, meter management, nuetral, awareness of your opponents meter etc. Typical SF4 haters in here that dont know what they're talking about.

And Shin hold back to block homie holy shit.

WarRock

There was definitely some depth to the Focus attack system. Not just DP FA stuff but all the other stuff you could do with FA. Granted the system led to other problems but it definitely had nuances to it.
Well, yeah. But taking it from the game doesn't mean stripping it from depth like he's implying. It's like saying every SF game after Alpha 3 is a game with lesser depth because there are no ISMs anymore.

Dieminion has found a new path

the path of anime
He plays keep away. I don't know if Xrd has a character for him right now. Maybe Venom (not saying Venom is keep away).

FADC adds a ton of depth to the combo system, meter management, nuetral, awareness of your opponents meter etc. Typical SF4 haters in here that dont know what they're talking about.

And Shin hold back to block homie holy shit.
FADCs added depth, no doubt. I was the first here to raise that concern. But you can't say that SFV has lost a lot of depth when there are V-Skills, alpha counters, and V-Triggers to consider now. It might have lost SOME depth, but a lot?

Meter management is more important than ever now. You even have an extra meter to manage!

FADCs for combo purposes, for many characters, were replaced by the V-Trigger system. Most characters can V-Cancel to combo extend.

The neutral became less deep, but in exchange it is more aggressive. I think that could be a good trade, because FADCs made the SFIV neutral far more safe and passive than it I wanted it to be.

one day we're remember 2-3 hit combos was actually the standard for good SFs(2, Alpha 2, 3S) until four added jab hit confirms/links and FADC extensions.

.la1n

I don't know why people aren't worried about SFV. Game seems extremely dumbed down. Lab time will not be a thing there. Limited and easy combos prevail.

Because anyone who has been playing fighting games for any substantial amount of time knows that judging a game pre-release or even during it's first year isn't the best idea.

El Sloth

Banned

I'm certain you can find SRK and gaf posts saying almost the exact same things about vanilla SF4 leading up to it's release.

Because anyone who has been playing fighting games for any substantial amount of time knows that judging a game pre-release or even during it's first year isn't the best idea.
I think Smash players were pretty right about Brawl and Smash U during their first year.

It is possible that players end up not developing an appreciation for a game where the neutral game is the focus over other aspects. That will be on them and not a flaw or lack of depth of the game.

Tripon

I think Smash players were pretty right about Brawl and Smash U during their first year.

The same Smash Wii U game that has the biggest tournament ever for a Smash game at EVO 15?

If people abandoned the tournament scene for Smash Wii U, I haven't seen it. It was a flawed competitive game for much of the first year, but that didn't keep people way, instead the constant steady of patches kept people interested and playing the game.

I did see a lot of whining and bitching from top to mid tier players about their characters changes on how they played from patch to patch. You still here whining from ZeRo, etc. about Day 1 Diddy and what they done to him.

Edit: A lot of tournament players were happy with the initial release of 3DS/Wii U and didn't get annoyed until the day 1 Wii U patch nerfed their top tier characters. That was when the whining started.

He's been playing Axl for a while now. I think that character fits him well.
Ah. Makes sense.

The same Smash Wii U game that has the biggest tournament ever for a Smash game at EVO 15?

If people abandoned the tournament scene for Smash Wii U, I haven't seen it. It was a flawed competitive game for much of the first year, but that didn't keep people way, instead the constant steady of patches kept people interested and playing the game.

I did see a lot of whining and bitching from top to mid tier players about their characters changes on how they played from patch to patch. You still here whining from ZeRo, etc. about Day 1 Diddy and what they done to him.

Edit: A lot of tournament players were happy with the initial release of 3DS/Wii U and didn't get annoyed until the day 1 Wii U patch nerfed their top tier characters. That was when the whining started.
I mean the general criticism that Smash 4 was more like Brawl 2.0. I think, until the most recent patch, that was a fair criticism. I am talking about gameplay criticisms, not popularity predictions.

Axl :p

But yeah BB does zoners better
I feel like they intentionally left out GGs zoners so they wouldn't have to deal with balancing them, or something.

Dahbomb

Just main a character with fast walkspeed and decent buttons in Neutral Fighter V. Chun-Li/Vega/Karin top tier incoming
That's pretty much a compliment.

I think best character is going to be one that can pop the opponent into the air after a combo into a reset situation then go back into the same combo after landing it. Because knockdowns suck in SFV, people will have to take to the air for set ups. High pressure characters who can do this will naturally be good because of chip on normals, lack of invincible back dash and the strength of CH/frame trap set ups.

Unless the long limb characters they introduced are really strong/obnoxious then they might be the best because they chip you every time they poke you with a normal from long range.

Soooo...I have an idea for SFV. I watch my replays to improve and critique myself and sometimes I wish I could just take the actions of the person I'm playing and put it straight into training mode. Like that Makoto I fought the other day. I wish I could have option to save that users inputs and put them into training mode and then use that as practice against that character.

Soooo...I have an idea for SFV. I watch my replays to improve and critique myself and sometimes I wish I could just take the actions of the person I'm playing and put it straight into training mode. Like that Makoto I fought the other day. I wish I could have option to save that users inputs and put them into training mode and then use that as practice against that character.

Could have sworn that there's a game that already does this.

That'd be great yeah. Reminds me of that thing 20XX TE lets you do with saved replays where you basically take control at any point and are able to check how things would have gone had you picked another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom