• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

petghost

Banned
one thing i dont get in 3s is when or if i should be fishing for parry in neutral. like for me the obvious seeming time to try a parry would be a guess parry on wakeup or against some projectile or reactable move at distance but how often do you guys just push forward or down in neutral expecting a poke?

one thing i dont get in 3s is when or if i should be fishing for parry in neutral. like for me the obvious seeming time to try a parry would be a guess parry on wakeup or against some projectile or reactable move at distance but how often do you guys just push forward or down in neutral expecting a poke?
When do you block?

mbpm1

Y’know I’ve been pretty good at avoiding being friends with dumbass beliefs, mostly on account of having so few friends

That record is now broken.

I should have known he was like this when I saw his scrubby beliefs on how good he was at street fighter tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did not learn to block on wakeup even once

Shackzam

Y’know I’ve been pretty good at avoiding being friends with dumbass beliefs, mostly on account of having so few friends

That record is now broken.

I should have known he was like this when I saw his scrubby beliefs on how good he was at street fighter tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did not learn to block on wakeup even once

That's where you make an example of them so they know there bad. Like an exhibition on how much quotable material you can get out of them.

jerry1594

On wakeup is definitely not the time to be guess parrying, especially if you're in throw range. You need to observe the opponent's character's moves and figure out the range at which only high or lows can hit you and when you're playing footsies insert a buffer here and there. It's seriously basically footsies with parry added in. Some people you might notice like to spaz down in the neutral for brief moments. There are times when you seemingly have a read on your opponent or theyre being repetitive or something, sure, go ahead and buffer a parry on their or your wakeup. But in general waking up with a parry is like waking up with a shoryuken.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

At a pro level, they buffer at a lot of opportunities they get next to their opponent. Mix it in with normals to see if they're mashing, anticipate a normal, etc. This is why grabs and empty jumps are good in 3rd Strike, its a way to counteract parries, albeit not the best way. Wakeup is the most terrifying part cause you can get baited to parry so hard and get stunned depending on the character, just block and hope for the best or if you're feeling ballsy, crouching short x2 super.

Sayad

aris vs fightcade reminds me of my grandparents vs a desktop computer

Just in case you missed this:

It's testing moves against each others with varying start up timing, ie, if Chun MK attack start 2 frames before Ryu's HP, which one would win. That's the general idea but we'd have to know what's the rest of the info refers to.

M1 = first move/attack (blue color)
M2 = second move/attack (red color)
Those are the moves tested against each other

X1 and X2 looks like the distance between the 2 characters. Tests covers a distance from .5 to 1.15 for each pair of attacks.

The numbers between M1 and M2 in the header are how many frames the move started before the other:
+7(blue) = M1 started 7 frames before M2
0 = both started at the same time
+5(red) = M2 started 5 frames before M1

The colored boxes between M1 and M2 are the results:
1(blue) = M1 wins
2(red) = M2 wins
3(yellow) = trade(notice this only happens with moves of the same level)
0 = I assume this means whiffed or not tested

Title says Ryu vs Chun li, so M1s are probably Ryu's while M2s are Chun's attacks.

K.Sabot

Just in case you missed this:

Thanks a lot for the post, I did miss it.

I asked him / her / it about it on twitter and I got most of the jist of it. Seems like he's trying to mechanically explain footsies, which doesn't really ... do anything? I mean just about everyone understands how footsies relate to frame data and hitboxes (also button priorities added in SFV), so unless he's just testing for odd interactions / bugs I don't see the point of it.

Sayad

Thanks a lot for the post, I did miss it.

I asked him / her / it about it on twitter and I got most of the jist of it. Seems like he's trying to mechanically explain footsies, which doesn't really ... do anything? I mean just about everyone understands how footsies relate to frame data and hitboxes (also button priorities added in SFV), so unless he's just testing for odd interactions / bugs I don't see the point of it.
I thought it was interesting, knowing which attack beat which and how cleanly it does it, could save some time in the lap. From Toolassisted's point of view though, it represent critical information if you're making an input reading AI.

Watch Ain matches

So I watched a bunch of these but I have no idea what I can learn from them.

He plays so passively most of the time which leads him to getting blown up quite often or making things look one sided. He only goes in to pressure after a knock down or when the opponent is already blocking. Otherwise a lot of the time he opts for stun edge from full screen or setting grinders and then throwing out the stun edge.

His combos are rather simple for the most part, most of his matches don't really involve anything at all flashy. It's only every once in awhile that he does an RC corner carry or super cancel combo extension. Like most of the time it seems he keeps things super simple and mainly relies on great moment to moment decision making and reactions.

Edit: It didn't even look like the "play the matchup" sort of thing ever came up even. Almost all of them he played more or less exactly the same. It's only the one match against Millia that he seemed to play more aggressively.

Edit2: He doesn't do anything crazy like run up standing low, although I think I might have seen a run up greed sever. Very often it was like far S 3HS stun edge or just 2D into HS stun edge, poking from long range, not getting to close.

I never really fished for parries. I just kind of did them when I felt them. It just came with experience. When you focus too much on trying to parry it will mess you up. Blocking is a good choice.

https://youtu.be/66JodqUAKW4

Have some 3S. Keep in mind that I'm butt cheeks at this game.
I don't have anything bad to say about you. Your current avatar, though...
What is wrong with Zahra?
hey wanna play vsav sometime? i wanna learn stuff!
Sure
i already got a few zingers lined up
I'm sure everyone does.
At a pro level, they buffer at a lot of opportunities they get next to their opponent. Mix it in with normals to see if they're mashing, anticipate a normal, etc. This is why grabs and empty jumps are good in 3rd Strike, its a way to counteract parries, albeit not the best way. Wakeup is the most terrifying part cause you can get baited to parry so hard and get stunned depending on the character, just block and hope for the best or if you're feeling ballsy, crouching short x2 super.
This is good advice.

LegatoB

So I watched a bunch of these but I have no idea what I can learn from them.

He plays so passively most of the time which leads him to getting blown up quite often or making things look one sided. He only goes in to pressure after a knock down or when the opponent is already blocking. Otherwise a lot of the time he opts for stun edge from full screen or setting grinders and then throwing out the stun edge.

His combos are rather simple for the most part, most of his matches don't really involve anything at all flashy. It's only every once in awhile that he does an RC corner carry or super cancel combo extension. Like most of the time it seems he keeps things super simple and mainly relies on great moment to moment decision making and reactions.

Edit: It didn't even look like the "play the matchup" sort of thing ever came up even. Almost all of them he played more or less exactly the same. It's only the one match against Millia that he seemed to play more aggressively.

Edit2: He doesn't do anything crazy like run up standing low, although I think I might have seen a run up greed sever. Very often it was like far S 3HS stun edge or just 2D into HS stun edge, poking from long range, not getting to close.
That all sounds like stuff you could learn! GG is an aggressive game, but that doesn't mean you can't, and shouldn't, back off to keep people out of their effective ranges and force them to advance on your terms. Ky has good tools for that!

pixelish

possible sfv announcement coming soon
Yoshinori Ono ‏@Yoshi_OnoChin 2h
We're going to next place... for presentation Street Fighter V
CY7UantUwAAOVap.jpg

.la1n

I thought I'd be more excited when it came this close to SF V launch, I'm sure I will feel different once it's in my hands.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That all sounds like stuff you could learn! GG is an aggressive game, but that doesn't mean you can't, and shouldn't, back off to keep people out of their effective ranges and force them to advance on your terms. Ky has good tools for that!

Yup, ky isnt about throwing himself at people in super close range during neutral all the time. If that''s what you want to do ky isnt for you

shaowebb

Okay, I just dug through all of Sixfortyfive's archives on youtube from last nights UMVC3 Kumite and I cannot find this Ironman OCV everyone spoke of. Does anyone here have a link and time stamp to look for because Ironman is rare and I'd really enjoy seeing this one.

FACE

Banned
Okay, I just dug through all of Sixfortyfive's archives on youtube from last nights UMVC3 Kumite and I cannot find this Ironman OCV everyone spoke of. Does anyone here have a link and time stamp to look for because Ironman is rare and I'd really enjoy seeing this one.

It doesn't look like yesterday's stream is archived on Sixfortyfive's twitch page :/

CY8jGefUsAAVOiK.jpg

I was going through lobbies looking for Sin players to spectate then found a good one in the Tokyo lobby.

later on I'm scrolling through down my timeline and see this picture, then I saw the faust's name and was like "hmm that's familiar
kttcoliohhh
"

then noticed my name in the spectator's list because Haitani is streaming on Niconico lol.

why Sako and Haitani both use Zato tho

If there is a character reveal it will probably be Balrog, seeing that someone said they played him behind closed doors. I really hope for DLC they release them in packs of 2, going to hate waiting 1-2 months for 1 character..

jerry1594

geyting used to stick is a bit of a pain. I play kind of intermittently and one day I'm like wow, this shit is awesome and another (or hell, maybe a couple hours later) I'm confused on how to even hold the stick lol. and a few months ago i only had a 360 pad to use on xbox and i hardly played for a few months, and my saturn pad execution deteriorated kind of a lot. pretty easy to pick up though. some things like hitconfirms are super easy while some stuff like karaing pianoing and pushblocking in vsav not so much. though i do know a few people who can do fairly high level shit on 360 controllers so it's probably just me. only stuff like TKD is maybe not doable on a pad

geyting used to stick is a bit of a pain. I play kind of intermittently and one day I'm like wow, this shit is awesome and another (or hell, maybe a couple hours later) I'm confused on how to even hold the stick lol. and a few months ago i only had a 360 pad to use on xbox and i hardly played for a few months, and my saturn pad execution deteriorated kind of a lot. pretty easy to pick up though. some things like hitconfirms are super easy while some stuff like karaing pianoing and pushblocking in vsav not so much. though i do know a few people who can do fairly high level shit on 360 controllers so it's probably just me. only stuff like TKD is maybe not doable on a pad
360 pad? Ugh why would you do that to yourself?

jerry1594

360 pad? Ugh why would you do that to yourself?
I didn't basically. Shit felt horrible to use so I didn't play much except for on ps2 from time to time and no specials no supers just buttons in lobbies a couple times.
i would say the entry to being an execution master on pad is way higher than stick
I wouldn't say they have mastery, because like I said stuff like TKD is not really doable and even Twevle cr.lk qcb+p xx super is pretty difficult to pull off consistently (maybe less so on an analog stick) but they can do most other stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom