• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are clearly not maximizing Norn's potential if you are not pressing AB after pressing A.

Damn I got exposed.

Well Karst and petghost apparently asked a question about how the game relates to a traditional fighting game and it is kind of difficult to understand from an outsider perspective without knowing the basic mechanics of the game before watching or playing it yourself.

I tried to explain it as best I can with footage, but it really is better to try it out for yourself since the games are very fun and rewarding.

Only a handful of members here play but it is worth making a post and trying to explain the mechanics of a very very popular game throughout asia. Apparently westerners have asked for this game to come in English forever and maybe if people understand the game better and spark interest, that they will finally come over. It doesn't really hurt, especially when the matches are interesting at mid and high levels.

+1 for trying it out yourself, the neutral of this game is very fun.

Using the variety of movement options(step, boosting, fuwa, ame, w/e-cancels like Shun mentioned above) to weave in and out of red/green lock and "poking" with your beam rifle is the footsies of the game and it feels really good all while you're dodging your opponents shit.
The yomi meta involved with punishing landings when you're chasing someone down feels so good too.

On a sort of related note, I was really hoping for the new Dissidia to take some pages from EXVS but it's really janky and stiff compared to the fluid movement and pace of EXVS.

Shun

Fucking sleepy but Clutch Sinanju play

Maxi Boost on is slated for a Spring 2016 release. It had a loketest in the autumn to coincide with autumn battle. there might be a couple more loketests from now until march-may. Maxi Boost On will include G Self, Mack Knife, Barbatos, and a lot of new suit editions and a new overdrive type.

Maxi Boost will take a while since they still make a lot of money and how a lot of Maxi suits are in Full Boost. It might still hit PS3 since the game still runs on the Namco Board that is a PS3 clone.

You know, I'm more curious if it's possible for people to enjoy Gundam games without watching any of the Gundam anime.

At least I wasn't interested in Gundam until I watched
Gundam SEED

Gundam is an entire industry in of itself. A lot of people who play the games and build the gunpla model kits have no attachment to the anime, books, or characters.

It is definitely enjoyable without being invested in the franchise and Bandai covers a wide demographic of people.

Game really needs a LAN mode...

It has pseudo-LAN where a wire connection to the same network makes it as close as possible. They just never bothered actual one with game centers.

Guess I'll keep working on it then, after reading Shun's wall of words.
I mean there are
ton of freaking
specific to the game

Please do make streamline easier to understand version I do enough much to make it relate to fighting game. There is just too much stuff to go through after the basics and into actual metagame. I was not even able go into basic shit like the mechanics of over cost and why it is bad, the 2, now 3 kinds of EX Overdrive, team synergy and building such as 3000/2500, 3000/2000, 3000/1500, 2500/2500, 2500/2000, 2000/2000 teams, how a lot of frame cancels and combos are character specific, Pros and Cons of Offense/Support and 3000/2500/2000/1500 cost suits, and more. With so many different weapon types ranging from different beam types, to physical types, to assists, to nuclear bomb.

At the end of the day, the game is just very fundamentals heavy. You really need to get movement down to get better and the entire meta is based off of predicting movement and controlling the stage. donkey has a good explanation of the very core basics of the gameplay, but things get a lot more difficult to explain without replay footage or being able to play in person when you go further than that.

Thanks for the write-ups! Haven't had a chance to look at the videos yet, but your posts definitely illustrate that there's a lot happening on the individual and team level and how it correlates to fighting game stuff. Very interesting.

I am glad you kind of understand
I just like to pick Norn or ReGZ and press A.

ReGZ nerf, now it is Legilis and Norn spam.

Damn I got exposed.
+1 for trying it out yourself, the neutral of this game is very fun.

Using the variety of movement options(step, boosting, fuwa, ame, w/e-cancels like Shun mentioned above) to weave in and out of red/green lock and "poking" with your beam rifle is the footsies of the game and it feels really good all while you're dodging your opponents shit.
The yomi meta involved with punishing landings when you're chasing someone down feels so good too.

On a sort of related note, I was really hoping for the new Dissidia to take some pages from EXVS but it's really janky and stiff compared to the fluid movement and pace of EXVS.

I don't even think Dissidia is that good when I tried it to be honest. Gunslinger Stratos is still more fun and more deep than that game. Dissidia is still in it's vanilla edition but still it just doesn't have the same fun, fluid movement. The controls were okay I guess, I just like the former two better.

^
Don't know about that, but EXVS did have Banshee added to the game at the same time as the new episode of Gundam UC came out. It would make sense for Bamco to treat this as a cross promotion product.

Someone thinks Nightingale is S tier though http://exvsrank.ninja-x.jp/exvsmb_30.html

6OJrYR9.png

Oh wow Strike Freedom took a dive on that list.

Yes, but for us plebs stuck in North America these suits are still king lol(and most of the other DLC suits for that matter, damn you TGII and Sandrock).

I don't even think Dissidia is that good when I tried it to be honest. Gunslinger Stratos is still more fun and more deep than that game. Dissidia is still in it's vanilla edition but still it just doesn't have the same fun, fluid movement. The controls were okay I guess, I just like the former two better.

I agree, I don't think it's good at all but I want it to be.

Shun

Gundam Vs Next had a Unicorn cross promo. With how popular the game is, how good the anime has been, and how good gunpla sales have been, makes sense to add more suits.

A suit as ugly as Nightingale doesn't deserve to be that high when you have Sinanju and Sazabi, Nightingale is a very good suit tho...

Just learn how to play Norn, FAUC, and Blitz and you good for MB, especially since FB is more defensive and more fundamental heavy than MB in my opinion. MB is more fun, FB is a more rewarding although it is getting stale now with lack of new DLC.

Shouta

I may be mistaken but i think Shouta's the only one who plays the Gundam VS games in this thread.

Quite a few folks that play also read the thread. I'm probably the oldest as I've been playing since the last VS game that was just SEED units. Played that casually then got into GvG.

I'd play the series more seriously but NA scene is limited for a variety of reasons and I don't have a set partner. That's pretty much limiting how well I can do in major tournaments. I'd to need practice with them a lot to match the better pairs because teamwork is a huge part of the game.

The game is laser footsies to put it simply.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wonder how long it takes asw to do the story mode in bb games. CP was so freaking long, that's a lot of writing and voice acting. I'm pretty sure about 98% of cp's story mode was spoken dialog.

shaowebb

I wonder how long it takes asw to do the story mode in bb games. CP was so freaking long, that's a lot of writing and voice acting. I'm pretty sure about 98% of cp's story mode was spoken dialog.

I legit don't register BB as a fighting game when I think of playing sometimes. Subconsciously its classified more as a visual novel because the bulk of my experience was sit down to play and end up in story time no matter what I clicked.

I generally turn it on for entertainment during a meal since I have to do so little :)

Well voice recording doesn't have to be done at exactly the same time as the rest of the production of the game. The only thing that really needs to be ready to go is any of the audio they need for arcade scenes, battle intro scenes, and battle dialog. The rest of it can be done when any of the script is finalized.

Considering that they do podcast style "radio" productions with the voice actors on what appears to be a regular basis, can't imagine it's super hard for them to find time to get them into a studio to record lines.

tariniel

Can Bison still tick throw in SFV with his slow walk speed? Does anyone know of videos showing high level Bison play in one of the SFV betas?

Line_HTX

The actual Blazblue Radio is just your standard radio episode where they talk about different things, and mostly Sugita (Ragna) being very silly randomly.

Can Bison still tick throw in SFV with his slow walk speed? Does anyone know of videos showing high level Bison play in one of the SFV betas?
I uploaded quite a bit of good Beta 3 Bison play to my YT channel (check my GAF profile)

Bison can still tick throw because he has one of the best grab ranges in the game, so he doesn't need to walk forward.

Can we compile all the youtubes of the fightingGAF community so I can subscribe to all of you scrubs?

I can't wait for V, my gaming obsession for 2016 and beyond.

Fraeon

Just out of curiosity folks... what your favourite combo videos?

My top 5 in no order:

Street Fighter Alpha 2 Combos Vol 1 by Keiko Mars (SFA2)

A varied set of combos and it has a very lean length to it. For slightly longer than a minute and a half, there's a whole bunch of combos and concepts here to process.

Tekken 1 Death Combos by KYSG (Tekken 1)

A good combo video from the good old days when Tekken was fair and wasn't about combos. Also pretty short, less than 2 minutes.

STACKS! by desk (SF4)

I think my favorite part of this combo video is the picture-in-picture El Fuerte / Chun combos. Probably because I remember when all Desk did was post new version of the Chun death combo.

SF? Ryu Exhibition by Maj (Pretty much every fighting game Ryu is in)

Some of the best editing in the biz.

Donatella by dark3rdmage (Tekken Tag 2)

I swear, this is the only time I've enjoyed Lady Gaga.

petghost

Banned
Just out of curiosity folks... what your favourite combo videos?

i really like a lot of old AC era GG combo videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s6GbYRsfJ0

a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-zac2kGg4o

endzeit by at the gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOn8TPUYrc0

rad baiken combo vid by a swedish baiken

this ones so cool. very good editing. SFIV was def an excellent game for combo videos.

Kumubou

I like how we have a hitbox viewer for SF5 before the game is even out.

One thing of note from that: it looks like every normal (or the vast majority of them) in the game extends your hurtbox before the move is active. Which is going to make footsies riskier across the board, since now pretty much any normal can be pre-empted, even by normals that may have otherwise whiffed. Which is going to give an advantage to whoever is more aggressive (since you're more likely to be stuffing normals than being stuffed if you put something out first)... but that then makes you more prone to being whiff punished. It really does seem like they are trying to make this game way more footsie-oriented than SF4 was.

Damn these GG combo moves bring back memories. Ugly ones when youtube did not exist and you had to go to players websites all in japanese and download videos in .zip hosted by geocities.
Also it's so sad that a lot of combo movies made by the team of koforever.cjb.net was lost. Cyberfanatix kept some but quality is bad and a lot are missing. Well that was 15 years ago so that's normal but I really hope someone kept all this on a hard drive somewhere.

My favorite combo video:

A MvC2 classic that opened my eyes to what you can do in a game I had been playing at a super low level for years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbVxZbtq8Ec

Others worth mentioning are Fury PvP Warrior video I can't find, and a Justice combo video someone here shared that was goddamn awesome.

One thing of note from that: it looks like every normal (or the vast majority of them) in the game extends your hurtbox before the move is active. Which is going to make footsies riskier across the board, since now pretty much any normal can be pre-empted, even by normals that may have otherwise whiffed. Which is going to give an advantage to whoever is more aggressive (since you're more likely to be stuffing normals than being stuffed if you put something out first)... but that then makes you more prone to being whiff punished. It really does seem like they are trying to make this game way more footsie-oriented than SF4 was.
Those hitboxes are so bad. :-(

Tornix

Damn these GG combo moves bring back memories. Ugly ones when youtube did not exist and you had to go to players websites all in japanese and download videos in .zip hosted by geocities.
Also it's so sad that a lot of combo movies made by the team of koforever.cjb.net was lost. Cyberfanatix kept some but quality is bad and a lot are missing. Well that was 15 years ago so that's normal but I really hope someone kept all this on a hard drive somewhere.

I remember those days. ;_;

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22108-1370339849-7.gif

Hell yes.

Well the hitboxes not matching the animations anymore is interesting. I remember in SF4 with people's idle animations sometimes you could hit them at certain ranges and sometimes you couldn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom