• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a Japanese animation connoisseur , i can assure you my statement is not that far off from reality

image.php

anime brehs

peter0611

Random FGC question: how important is character balance to you folks?
SF4 is notable for being an extremely balanced fighters. It's common for a tournies top 8-16 to be very diverse and even relatively weak characters can manage to place well. I used to value balance more than any other element of the game.

But now I've come to enjoy the idea of counter-picking and having multiple characters in your arsenal. Players can't get away with only knowing how to play a single character extremely well(for the most part). Infiltration definitely popularised it in SF, but it's becoming more common in other games like Melee. I felt Mango was super successful in 2014 precisely because he dual-mained Fox and Falco; now Armada is dominating with Peach and Fox. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with many anime games too. Not too sure about Marvel.

FACE

Banned
I thought his avatar was "poster child for how bad Marvel comics have gotten" or something.

Like I know it has to be from a Marvel or DC comic and I hope to god I never read it.

If you're being serious that's Yamazaki from KOF/Fatal Fury.

Beckx

Capcom vs SNK 2 had 2 illustrations for ever character. One was a scary ass Shinkiro picture and one was a Nishimura sketch.

dhalsim-cvs2full.jpg

I like the second image better than the first, first feels like he's going for a western style.

I was completely out of playing fighting games (and most console games generally) from 2000-2008ish so RIP me.

Tripon

If you folks think those will be the only alts, you are tripping. Ryu, Ken have 3 alternates, the other characters should have 3 alternates as well. I still have faith in Haunts.

Tyrone+wins+again+thank+you+based+tyrone+_31c523c921c511c165d0298ab459f96f.gif
3 alts? Maybe at the end of the year. Try like 10 alts at the end of the cycle. Nerds will pay though the nose for these outfits.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
SF4 is notable for being an extremely balanced fighters. It's common for a tournies top 8-16 to be very diverse and even relatively weak characters can manage to place well. I used to value balance more than any other element of the game.

But now I've come to enjoy the idea of counter-picking and having multiple characters in your arsenal. Players can't get away with only knowing how to play a single character extremely well(for the most part). Infiltration definitely popularised it in SF, but it's becoming more common in other games like Melee. I felt Mango was super successful in 2014 precisely because he dual-mained Fox and Falco; now Armada is dominating with Peach and Fox. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with many anime games too. Not too sure about Marvel.

I'll bite since no one else will.

The only rule I have when it comes to balance is that it should not get in the way of the game being fun to play. Don't really care about people who counter-pick. If it helps you win then go for it.

Character balance itself doesn't speak about how matchup dependent a game's results are. Rock Paper Scissors is perfectly balanced, but an individual player using rock, no matter who they are, will always lose to paper.

Counterpicking itself is an interesting dynamic initially, but it's only interesting up until a certain point. It becomes more about *solving* the game than playing better than the other guy.

i think having some obvious top tiers isn't so bad as long as it doesn't lead to an astronomical difference in character variety.

it makes winning with the low tiers more satisfying and can be a crowd pleaser if tourney viable. in terms of counterpicking, i'm not leaning one way or the other, but if the game becomes heavily dependent on who-beats-who it becomes less about the player and more about the mechanics.

Capcom vs SNK 2 had 2 illustrations for ever character. One was a scary ass Shinkiro picture and one was a Nishimura sketch.

dhalsim-cvs2full.jpg

Don't mistake of interpreting stylized art as a mere sketch.

The Nishimura one is actually more detailed. The definition in his muscles, the folds in his clothes...

To the layman, realism equals better art, but it doesn't.

I'd say that Shinkiro Dhalsim is pretty tame and I prefer the stylized nature of Nishimura's more. I say this as someone who idolizes Shinkiro. Calling Nishimura's art a sketch is pretty insulting to her.

Zissou

i saw more than a few random girls in japan wearing eyepatches. Couldve been an actual injury, but it seemed slightly too common for that (still not exactly common)

Eyelid surgery to get western-looking eyes. Can only do one at a time (for obvious reasons), so one week with a patch on the left, next week a patch on the right.

it's nice that she's a parody of the stereotypical anime loli

but at the same time she's still an anime loli so ehhhhhhh

it's not shit, it's a parody of shit so it's actually secretly cool though

Ideally any character should be able to place top 8 at a major tournament. It's unreasonable to expect a low tier character to win a major but an excellent player should be able to place with them. I only want to play one character and I play who I think is cool so it's pretty important. If I played a game and I felt I couldn't place high with them I'd consider it a serious flaw in the game.

I have no idea why Shinkiro Dhalsim is so buff. Like, I always imagine Dhalsim as a wise ascetic yogi. Why does he look like he spends more time at the gym than meditating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom