• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |2| 0-2 vs Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

vulva

I support everything just being IRC. I'd prefer that so much more.

Also my wkw boys KidA and pixelish, go see Carol if you get the chance. It's like 80% a North American wong kar wai film. Pretty great.

Not really. Make a triangle out of block > strike > throw and that's all you need. Most players just take it for granted people will figure it out.

Oh, that's what you want explained to new players? I already know about that. I even implement it into my game strategy by conditioning some people to block, then walk into their space and throw their ass. I thought you were talking about frame traps.

Anne

I kinda touched on it when explaining that frame data is simple math that allows you to know what should and shouldn't hit in theory (ignoring hitboxes for a second)

Cindi: Most of the time if they're doing several frametraps they'll end up creating some space as the string goes on. What you need to look for in those settings aren't how to outright beat the string but how to avoid taking damage until you are secure. So that means avoiding getting counter hit during a frame trap or getting thrown as a mixup in the middle of the frametrap. Patience and awareness of throws are your best friend in that situation.

This btw. Blocking beats strikes for 2 reasons:

You don't get hit
It creates pushback

If you make it through a string without getting CH or thrown, they'll eventually be pushed out far enough where they need to walk forward to mix up you up, here you can escape. Sometimes the frame trap or mix up situation itself leaves them at disadvntage or even too, which gives you an option.

Oh, that's what you want explained to new players? I already know about that. I even implement it into my game strategy by conditioning some people to block, then walk into their space and throw their ass. I thought you were talking about frame traps.

I just think the concept of "everything is RPS" should be explained in moderate depth once a player can relatively control their character :p Vulva sounds like he's doing a good job, I'm just leaning towards more specific types of building blocks cause my experience with teaching.

Dahbomb

Problem is it requires knowledge of how frame data work or at least the concept.
And a game that does not have extra options that nullify certain aspects of this triangle or muddles it. Like SF4.

Like in the triangle of strike/throw/block, you can negate most of that by just back dashing in SF4. They can't CH/frame trap you or throw you if you back dash out... which means you have to develop OSes to deal with a back dash.

In SF4 when you make an offensive set up you pretty much have to account for 3 things: wake up DP (so you need safe set ups), crouch tech and back dash. If you don't have a good enough response for all 3 then your offense is weak.

Rhapsody

Banned
Or even that a well timed light meaty beats out a dp.

Well, this sort of depends on the DP's startup. Keep that in mind. You won't be able to do a meaty and recover in time on a good amount of DPs.

Edit: I'm assuming you're not talking about a safe jump btw, and instead a meaty from a ground normal.

vulva

This btw. Blocking beats strikes for 2 reasons:

You don't get hit
It creates pushback

If you make it through a string without getting CH or thrown, they'll eventually be pushed out far enough where they need to walk forward to mix up you up, here you can escape. Sometimes the frame trap or mix up situation itself leaves them at disadvntage or even too, which gives you an option.

Yeah, a lot of times people who depend on frame traps over extend themselves and expect their trap to work so well that it ends with something super unsafe (like a cody doing criminal upper etc). This isn't the case every time and a smarter player will adjust their string as they see how you treat it, but if you can get back to a neutral position and reset the situation then consider that a victory.

Not to generalize but a lot of players who are super frame trap heavy have that as their primary gameplan, so a reset situation can put you at advantage in terms of how the game will play out.

Anne

Things muddle up how RPS triangles work, but you need to understand that when something breaks the RPS you're doing (like a backdash) the RPS triangle changes to a different one. It's all layers of stuff that is really easy to understand if you have that concept down.

mbpm1

Yeah, a lot of times people who depend on frame traps over extend themselves and expect their trap to work so well that it ends with something super unsafe (like a cody doing criminal upper etc).

Yea people don't confirm a lot online.

Yeah, a lot of times people who depend on frame traps over extend themselves and expect their trap to work so well that it ends with something super unsafe (like a cody doing criminal upper etc). This isn't the case every time and a smarter player will adjust their string as they see how you treat it, but if you can get back to a neutral position and reset the situation then consider that a victory.

Not to generalize but a lot of players who are super frame trap heavy have that as their primary gameplan, so a reset situation can put you at advantage in terms of how the game will play out.

So the second round in this fight...if I blocked when he did that combo, I'd have enough space to escape?

https://youtu.be/JP2KGf-7otU?t=1m24s

DunpealD

Most Frame traps make that strikes beat anything except block or invincible move, i.e. DP or backdash in SFIV. The throw is the mixup that makes frame traps work and forces the opponent to make a read.

Depending on how good Ryus parry is in SFV, he could be an anomaly.

Yeah, a lot of times people who depend on frame traps over extend themselves and expect their trap to work so well that it ends with something super unsafe (like a cody doing criminal upper etc)

I see things like that at times but it gets to the point where they aren't actually frame trap attempts, people auto-pilot strings and are just terrible at hit confirming.

Terry cr.Bx2 cr.A cr.C BURN KNUCKLE all day like bruh can't you see I blocked all the shit before calm the fuck down

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I support everything just being IRC. I'd prefer that so much more.

Also my wkw boys KidA and pixelish, go see Carol if you get the chance. It's like 80% a North American wong kar wai film. Pretty great.

Do you have a PS4? We gotta pick up Xrd and become hermits.

shaowebb

Man did I miss seeing this move...
yZcqiG0.gif

...playing in the lab now trying to figure out a true BNB for Tekkaman Blade instead of just getting a shitload of openings and converting mainly into super lol. Man this dude is fun. His pokes are just so friggin fast and he has every kind of starter. I don't use razor kick well enough as an assist to setup openings for Casshan so I'm gonna see if I can't get Blade down more to pair with my Polimar.

Honestly I could see myself labbing out the whole roster eventually. This game's got so many neat movesets to play with. Someday I'd like to really learn Yatterman 2 properly. Here bouncey ball stuff and robot super are incredibly annoying.

EDIT: Holy shit that level 3's range is insane! Just discovered its the pulsing flash thats the hitbox on the move. I'm able to hit this thing from a jump when my opponent isn't even visible on the screen!

petghost

Banned
Scrubby question: How you guys work on hit confirms? In anime games I set it on random block and then try to adapt to a nice block string or mix up on block and combo on hit but with something like 3s I'm lost as to how dudes are so effective at hit confirming off 1 shoto c.mk into super or whatever. Do they just buffer super whenever they throw out a poke? in sf4 dudes seem to react to counter hit in frame traps with very specific things consistently as well.

hitsugi

Blocking is good. People would be a lot better if they didn't get anxious and feel like they had to do something all the time.. and you can use that time to recompose or wait for your opponent to get impatient and do something stupid; bad players are prone to losing their shit pretty quickly.

WarRock

Scrubby question: How you guys work on hit confirms? In anime games I set it on random block and then try to adapt to a nice block string or mix up on block and combo on hit but with something like 3s I'm lost as to how dudes are so effective at hit confirming off 1 shoto c.mk into super or whatever. Do they just buffer super whenever they throw out a poke? in sf4 dudes seem to react to counter hit in frame traps with very specific things consistently as well.
I do =P

Says the Elena player.
Edit: I wonder what are Capcom justifications to make Cody and Guy low tier for the whole SFIV series.

they're both mid IMO. I'd say Guy is better than Cody tho.

Cody is broken tbh

CoD is without a doubt the most honest character in SF4. Even more honest than Ryu.

Well until he picks up the dagger but without it he's 100% honest.

CODY? HONEST? pls

walk up -> ex zonk
walk up -> throw

strongest mixup in the damn game

Perro

Trying to upload an Ultra video from Steam, took me 40 minutes, only to show me that the YT uploader is not available atm. Does this shit even works?

vulva

I mean, if you watch high level 3s matches, you'll see chuns do cr mk in to super that weren't hit confirmed and were blocked. You can do your best to adjust to it all but you can only do so much.

I don't have an answer to your actual question, I just wanted to point out that those insane confirms you see seem to be part reactive confirms but also muscle memory.

shaowebb

Oh god yes...just figured out in the lab that Tekkaman Blade's instant overhead in the air is buffering his input for a rising tackle style charge move that allows me to extend any air combo. Simply do a magic series to air, end in the diving lance, upon hitting ground hit up and heavy and carry them back to the corner, mash heavy to go into a blade spin and cancel to super...half your friggin health gone. I think if I work in polimar razor kick assist on the ground before launcher I can go into rapid slash and then do another LMH before the rest of it to maybe clinch out 2/3rds health.

Hell yes! New Team!
dc554Eq.jpg

Oxi6Dys.jpg

Marz

Oh god yes...just figured out in the lab that Tekkaman Blade's instant overhead in the air is buffering his input for a rising tackle style charge move that allows me to extend any air combo. Simply do a magic series to air, end in the diving lance, upon hitting ground hit up and heavy and carry them back to the corner, mash heavy to go into a blade spin and cancel to super...half your friggin health gone. I think if I work in polimar razor kick assist on the ground before launcher I can go into rapid slash and then do another LMH before the rest of it to maybe clinch out 2/3rds health.

Hell yes! New Team!
dc554Eq.jpg

Oxi6Dys.jpg

For what? Gundam?

Yeah, you just buffer super into cr.mk and you get enough time. Like, 2+mk 36 (confirm) 236+K. It's obviously not foolproof, but works well enough to be worth it.

The counterhit reactions are probably certain situations where they're likely to score one, and then watching the text or listening for the ping. Faster and more distinct than looking for the effects or the like.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
After all that hype for Sm4sh dlc, I'm sure the OT will still be dead.

I'd say they were more of a casual fanbase while the competitive scene is the group that keeps it alive. It'll be the same case a year from now too, at least they bought the game to show support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom